Confederate War Horse
Weston Democrat - December 19, 1891
Perhaps the oldest horse in West Virginia died in Lewis county last week. He was owned by John Cookman, Jr., of Jesse's Run, and was a relict of the late war. He was branded with a letter "B" on one shoulder, and was used in the cavalry service of the Confederate Army.
In color the horse was a jet black with white hind feet and white spot on end of the nose, and was a very attractive animal. His name was "Stonewall" Jackson. He weighed 1150 pounds was 15 1/2 hands high and very gentle in disposition.
Although he was used throughout the war, it is related that the excitement of battle had a strange effect upon him, and in the midst of firing he would stand perfectly still, and it was on this account that he had to be removed from cavalry duty. At the close of the war he was owned by Dr. Charter, of Knatty's creek, who sold him to Mr. Cookman, at a good price.
He was an invaluable horse on the farm and was very kind in harness and under the saddle. He was used continuously on the farms of Mifflin and Minter Cookman, until about one year ago, when he was turned out to do as he pleased. He died on the 11th of December, aged 34 years.
In honor of his old age and in commemoration of the executive service he had performed, he was buried with ceremony. Mr. Mifflin Cookman built a stonewall around him and covered it with flat flag-stone, after which his brother, Minter Cookman, fired a revolver over the grave, and the old horse of Jackson's famous Brigade was left to rest.
All contact page
All information listed on this site are for educational purposes.
Horse Fame is a free non profit service for the public.
Horse Fame does not benefit from any links or organizations listed.