RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Database Access

Rob,

I've discussed this on a couple of occasions before so most members of this
forum can simply delete this message now.
Depending on your perspective, protel handles linking to a database quite
well with the following exceptions.

1)	It only links to Dbase format
2)	The schematic link to the database is really slow and your PC is all but
useless while it is downloading data.

Any database in Access can be outputted in Dbase so it is not a huge hassle.
I have co-designed a access database that I sell to companies wanting to
automate their BOM process, we have coded in the outputting to Dbase
function (along with masses of other stuff) to automate the process but you
can simply "File > Save As" if you are using Access97 or "File > Export" if
you are using Access2000.

Once you have linked your schematic to you Dbase and downloaded your
required fields (it is explained how to do this in the manual so I will not
bother), we output the BOM from schematic and then run a an macro in excel I
wrote that formats the BOM to the however the company wants it but more
importantly double checks the manually inputted schematic information
against the database information and then flags any discrepancies. This
extra check I and the companies I have sold it to find invaluable for
picking up errors, typo's/finger problems, and general brain fades.
If you have any VB coding skills I would suggest this could be the way to
go, well at least it works well for me and it take out the human error
possibility as all I need to do is hit a button in excel the check is
complete.

Brad

Brad Shea
Senior PCB Designer