Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Re: Simple Macros

<x-flowed>
At 04:53 PM 10/19/00 +1000, Protelcsc wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>Further to the recent discussion regarding creating macros in Protel 99SE,
>we noticed that a couple of questions remained unanswered.

I want to commend Protelcsc for stepping in to answer these questions.

Readers of this list know that I have many times said that this list
generally provides better support than that provided by Protel itself. This
is no negative reflection on Protel; rather it represents the power of more
than a thousand users banded together for mutual support.

Because of the existence of this list, I would assume that Protel might
possibly be able to lower support costs; this will benefit all of us,
because cost of support must be a very large component of the cost of
complex software.

However, sometimes this list, for whatever reason, will fail to completely
answer a question, or might even answer incorrectly, without any correction
appearing in the discussion. It is therefore appropriate that Protelcsc
monitor the list to ensure that responses are complete and accurate. It is
much easier to do this, I am sure, than for Protel to directly answer all
questions.

I would, in fact, recommend the development of a web-accessible support
hypertext document that summarizes *all* relevant questions asked on this
list (as well as through direct Protel support) and that provides answers.
Because this is a fairly large and on-going task, it is difficult for the
users to provide this for themselves. The document should be thoroughly
categorized, indexed, and cross-indexed. It would also include Knowledge
Base items, though I would think that this document would eventually
replace the Knowledge Base (or perhaps it would be called the "Knowledge
Base," because it would more fully reflect and deserver that title.)

Users could then download this document and be able to find fast answers;
on-line support (whether through this list or otherwise) would only be
necessary when the answers were not already in the database (or the user
cannot find the answer, which might indicate that the index could be improved).

The database would be designed with an update tool so that changes could be
inserted without requiring a complete download of the entire database. Thus
users could easily keep their local copy current, and obsolete information
could be removed or marked as obsolete (as with, for example, bugs and
workarounds that have been fixed at a certain revision or service pack level).

I do recognise that to be complete, this would be a major project in
itself; but, then again, it is a major project to maintain support for a
program like Protel 99SE. The project could start out small, perhaps
incorporating the existing Knowledge Base -- which would be much more
easily searched if it were local rather than only available over the web,
especially when one's internet link is relatively slow.

The existence of such a document, user accessible, would make Protel
support absolutely the best in the industry. It's already quite good,
especially when this list is considered.

I could write more about details, but will leave that for another day.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433