Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: help with design rule edit hang

<x-flowed>
At 02:59 PM 9/9/00 -0400, Crunch wrote:
>Hi Protel Users,
>
>I have started to use Protel 99 SE w /sp4 and have the following
>re-occurring problem. When I try to change a design rule constraint, the
>program gives me a notice that a win32 combo box api has failed. I can
>dismiss the box, but then cannot dismiss the design rule page. If I use
>Norton Anti-freeze, I can then dismiss the box. Does anyone know how to fix
>this situation.

This sounds like Windows running out of resource memory. The most likely
place for this to happen is in a rule dialog. I don't know why the rules
dialogs use up so much resource, but they do.

Always run a resource meter while using P99SE under Windows 95 or 98. I
think this is not necessary with NT or W2000. When there is an alarm,
immediately shut down unnecessary applications before proceeding. Norton
Utilities, for example, take up much in the way of resource; I tend to run
the windows system tool for monitoring resources whenever there is a
resource problem.

It can also help to shut down Protel and restart it, or, sometimes, to
restart the system as well. Particularly if there have been any crashes.

There are other possible causes, but the above is the most likely, I would
think.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690