He exchanged 260 acres for 2 wagons, 4 oxen, 3 cows and 1 carriage. In recognition of his talent as an exceptional farmer, Brigham Young requested he remain on the Missouri to plant crops for migrating saints. At age 48 he captained 50 wagons in 2nd Company, 1st division of Brigham Young’s Company. Leaving in the spring of 1848, and arriving in Salt Lake Valley Sept. 20 1848. Later settled near this plot, after finding richest soil. In 1850 he built a two story adobe house which for years was the only religious meeting place in Davis County. Later he built the first public hall, complete with belfry and bell which rang for all affairs. The Hall housed the first formal local church organizations. The choir consisted of his own family. Wood school held here. The teacher being paid by hall owner and contributions. This hall provided a lovely recreational area. He was known for his sense of humor, devotion to church, civic mindedness, help to many settlers getting started. Care for foster homeless children and Indians. With the crossing of the railroad through Wood Homestead, area was named Woods Cross by Brigham Young. General area South to Salt Lake City, West to Great Salt Lake and East to Session’s Settlement (now Bountiful) came to be known as Woods Cross. Local area still bears name. This private cemetery plot dedicated Aug. 27, 1858 by Daniel Wood.
This memorial erected by Daniel Wood posterity and dedicated by his Great Grandson, Henry D. Moyle. First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. April 1, 1962
Retyped by Staci Bailey October 27, 2003