Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Empty

by Aries

Hello, babe, it's been a while
Guess you'll be glad to know
That I've learned how to laugh and smile
Getting over you was slow
They say old lovers can be good friends
But I never thought I'd really see you
I'd really see you again
I go crazy
When I look in your eyes, I still go crazy
No, my heart just can't hide that old feeling inside
Way deep down inside
Oh, baby
You know when I look in your eyes, I go crazy

You say he satisfies your mind
Tells you all of his dreams
I know how much that means to you
I realize that I was blind
Just when I thought I was over you
I see your face and it just ain't true
No, it just it just ain't true
I go crazy
When I look in your eyes, I still go crazy
That old flame comes alive
It starts burning inside
Way deep down inside
Oh, baby, you know when I look in your eyes, I go crazy

I go crazy
You know when I look in your eyes, I go crazy
No, my heart just can't hide that old feeling inside
Way deep down inside
I go crazy

I Go Crazy
Paul Davis


"Bored yet?"

The man in black flashed the other a smile and shook his head.

"Nah."

"It's okay. I'm bored too. But in the interest of a really big job..."

"I know." One finger extended toward the group of paintings in front of the pair. "This is actually a very interesting series."

"I notice you're drawn more to the portraits."

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, the landscapes and whatnot are nice, and truthfully, I can't figure that abstract stuff out at all, but..." He looked at the group again. "Look at their eyes. I can't stop being amazed at the way the artist has captured their emotions. Especially this one," he said, pointing out the portrait of a man sitting on a stoop. "The way he's sitting...look at his face. His eyes. You can feel the desolation." His voice dropped a few decibels. "I feel it."

"...Want it?"

Wide eyes stared in surprise.

"Want....no."

"C'mon, let's see what it's going for."

"No, Tim."

"Why not?"

"Because you have to get out of this habit of buying me everything I look twice at."

"No, I don't."

"Yeah, you do."

"It makes me happy," Tim murmured, brushing the underside of the other man's chin with his fingers. "You make me happy."

Thick, sable lashes lowered, hiding deep green eyes.

"Besides," Tim went on, "until now I hadn't any idea what I was gonna get you for our anniversary."

"Anniversary?"

"Yeah. In two weeks it'll be one year since you moved in with me. An occasion worth celebrating, huh?"

The other man's eyes rose to Tim's, and he nodded.

"Okay, then."

"But I still don't want you spending all kinds of money on me."

Before Tim could answer, he went on. "Maybe we could go somewhere. You know, a nice weekend away or something."

Tim smiled at the other. "That sounds good." He stepped closer and slipped an arm around his lover. "It'd be nice to have some time to concentrate on each other. No ringing phones, no blueprints, no assistants flapping around fourteen hours a day. Just us." He looked around quickly then laid a discreet kiss on the other man's mouth. "Just another hour or so, okay? Then we can get the heck out of here."

The other man nodded and accepted another kiss. Just as Tim released his mouth, a man approached from his right.

"Sorry. Uh...Tim?"

"Yeah, Mark?"

"Mr. Aveson is looking for you. He's got some idea stuck in his head about your Milan plans, and he wants to tell you about it."

Tim rolled his eyes and groaned.

"God, where is Serge?"

"Isn't he the one you're supposed to be dealing with tonight?"

"Yeah. But for some reason he hasn't shown, and no one can contact him. So, now I gotta contend with Aveson and his nutty ideas." Tim shook his head. "You'd think with all the money he's paying us for our services, he'd keep his ideas to himself and let us handle it. Well...no sense in putting it off. I'm sorry, love. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Don't worry," the other murmured. "There are some exhibits I haven't seen yet. I'll just go check them out."

Tim mouthed the words 'thank you' and blew a kiss before hurrying off behind his assistant.

Sighing softly, the man left behind looked around then took a seat on the bench in front of the painting titled, "Empty".

***

"Who're we looking for again?"

"A Sergio Morvan."

The man and woman walked into the gallery, scanning the crowd.

"How do we find him in this mob, Mulder? We don't even know what he looks like, do we?"

"Nope. But he said he'd be on the lookout for us."

"Does he know what we look like?"

"No, but I suspect we'll stick out like a couple of sore thumbs in this bunch," he said, surveying the trendy group. "Let's split up. Give him a better chance at spotting one of us."

"I hope this isn't some kind of wild goose chase, Mulder. I had plans tonight."

Mulder smirked down at the petite redhead. "A date, Scully?"

"Did I say the word date? No. I said that I had plans."

"Okay, be secretive."

"I'm not being secretive. How do you figure I'm..."

The rest of Scully words faded into a dull buzz as Mulder's wandering gaze fell and locked on a man at the far end of the room.

"Okay, so, I'll go that way," Scully said, not noticing her partner's distraction. As she walked away, Mulder began to move, drifting in an almost dreamlike state toward the dark man.

It couldn't be, it couldn't be, it...

Even when he finally came to a stop only four feet away and positively identified the man, he kept telling himself that it couldn't be Alex.

It had been over a year and a half, and Mulder hadn't laid eyes on him once. But dammit, this was him. Only feet away. His throat went dry, and his heart began a hard thrashing as he tried to take a calming breath and say something.

"Hell...hello, Alex."

The voice he could never mistake for another snapped Alex around, and he stared wide-eyed into an all too familiar face.

"Fox."

Neither man knowing what else to say, they stood gaping at each other. Finally, it was Mulder who broke the silence.

"How've you been?"

"O-okay. You?"

Mulder shrugged. "All right." His gaze traveled down the length of Alex's body then came back up to his eyes. "You look good."

"You too." He wished that his words hadn't taken on the smoky quality he knew they just had, but there was nothing he could do about it now. "I...I didn't know you liked art."

"I'm actually working," Mulder replied, wishing for all the world that he could stop himself from staring into Alex's eyes, but he couldn't. Even after all this time it was still apparently a weakness.

"Oh," Alex said, shifting from one foot to another. "S-so, is Scully around here somewhere?"

It took Mulder a moment to respond.

"...Yeah. Uh...yeah. Sh-she's on the other side of the room." He pulled one corner of his lip into his mouth, chewing at the plump flesh, and Alex blinked rapidly just before forcing himself to look away.

Mulder let out a shaky breath. "I didn't know you liked art."

Alex lifted one shoulder and let it drop. "I'm not a connoisseur, but I appreciate beauty."

Mulder nodded his agreement then forced himself to break his gaze away. He shifted his attention to the painting they stood in front of.

"This is..." He paused, appreciating the exquisite sadness in the eyes of the subject. "...amazing." He inched closer, almost mesmerized. It gave Alex a brief opportunity to stare at him.

Still unnervingly beautiful. Still intensely magnetic. His body remembered as well, and he fought to suppress its stirrings.

Jesus, don't. Don't.

Mulder turned away from the painting. His eyes again met Alex's, and he realized why he'd been so taken with the portrait. Its profound sadness was mirrored right there in the eyes he'd once lost himself in so easily.

Before he could say something he'd live to regret, another man approached, giving him a cautious glance before coming to Alex's side and slipping an arm around his waist. Alex's gaze dropped to the floor as Tim planted an affectionate kiss on his temple.

"Sorry, love. Hope that didn't take too long."

Alex said nothing, but his discomfort was plain.

Tim looked at Mulder and gave him a wary smile even as he unconsciously sized him up.

"Hello."

Mulder's eyes flicked from Tim to Alex then back again. He nodded, momentarily unable to speak.

"Are you a friend of Alex's?"

The question jarred Alex back to himself, and he answered before Mulder could.

"Sorry, I...Tim, this is Fox Mulder. An...an old friend."

The corner of Mulder's lower lip went back into his mouth.

"Fox, this is Tim Foster." Alex tried to say more. To introduce Tim as his lover, but his voice failed him.

Sticking his hand out, Tim gave Mulder a broader smile.

"Very nice to meet you. In a little over a year, you're the first one of Alex's friends I've ever met."

Mulder grasped Tim's hand in a firm shake and said nothing.

"So, are you an art lover, Fox?" Tim asked, sending an unexplainable shiver through Alex.

"I'm here on business, actually," Mulder said, continuing to divide his attention between the two men. "In fact, maybe you can help me. I'm looking for a Sergio Morvan. Do you know him?"

"Yeah," Tim answered, casually rubbing Alex's back. "He manages this gallery."

Mulder unclenched his jaw and forced his eyes away from Tim's wandering hand. "Do you know where he is? My partner and I were supposed to meet him here tonight."

"Hmm. Well, that's odd."

"How so?"

"You're not the only ones looking for him. No one's seen him at all tonight."

"Really? Well, if he does show, would you please tell him that Agents Mulder and Scully were here?" As he spoke, Mulder reached into his pocket and pulled out a card, handing it to Tim. The other man's eyebrows lifted.

"The feds. Wow." He gave Alex a smile. "You got friends in high places, babe."

Mulder's lashes slowly descended, and he took a steadying breath before opening them to find Tim studying him.

"I'll uh..." Tim lifted the card, holding it between two fingers. "I'll be sure to tell Serge that you were looking for him...is something wrong?"

"I can't discuss that," Mulder said politely. "Official Bureau business."

"'Kay. Well...you ready to go home, love?" Tim asked Alex, kissing the side of his head. "You look kind of tired."

Alex's gaze lifted to Mulder's, the turbulent emotions in both, clashing head on.

"Yeah," he whispered, forcing himself to look away. "Yeah, I...I guess we should go. It..." he sucked his bottom lip into his mouth for a moment, biting down hard on the soft flesh before completing his sentence. "It was good to s...see you, Fox."

"You too," Mulder said, his voice just barely audible. He stood stone still, eyes cast downward as Alex was gently led past him and out of sight. Several minutes later, his legs began to shake, and he made his way over to the bench, dropping heavily onto it. His eyes rose to the painting, and he stared at it until Scully found him sometime later.

"Here you are. You know how long I've been looking for you? Sighing, Scully looked out into the crowd. "When no one approached me, I finally started asking around and found out that this Sergio character isn't even here. I don't know, Mulder. I'm beginning to think this is a big..."Scully stopped herself and finally really looked at her partner. "Mulder? Mulder, what is it?"

"...I saw Alex."

"Alex..." Scully's eyes grew wide. "Krycek?"

Mulder gave no answer.

"Stupid question. You wouldn't be looking like that if it wasn't him, would you?" She sighed heavily. "Wow. God, how long's it been? A year? Year and a half?"

"One year," Mulder droned, "six months, one week...two days," he added flatly.

Scully looked heavenward then back down at Mulder.

"Did you speak to him?"

Mulder nodded.

"It was obviously upsetting."

"He wasn't alone."

"God. He's with someone else?"

"Tim."

"Oh boy."

"Seems like a nice guy."

"Well..." Scully squinted. "That's good...right?"

"Sure," Mulder answered absently, looking down at his folded hands.

"Mulder, you're not going to start brooding again, are you? When you and Krycek first broke up, you sulked for months."

No answer.

"What is it? Is it just that you saw him, or is it the fact that he's with someone else?"

Mulder looked up at her and said nothing.

"Come on, Mulder. Did you really expect him to stay alone just because you have?"

Mulder closed his eyes and bowed his head.

"You both agreed that it couldn't work, and you both agreed to end it." Her voice gentled. "Are you thinking it was a mistake?"

"I thought it was a mistake the day we started discussing it."

"Then why did you?"

Mulder stared at the floor as if he could find an answer to Scully's question in the highly polished marble.

"God, Mulder."

Mulder rose to his feet, taking a quick breath.

"It's done. Over. I've gone on with my life, he's gone..." He paused, swallowing hard. "...gone on with his. I don't want to talk about it any more."

"You haven't talked about it at all," Scully said. "Not really."

"Yeah, well...come on." Mulder began walking away from the bench. "Let's see what we can find out about Mr. Morvan."

***

Alex walked into the spacious high-rise apartment, followed by Tim. As he began to remove his jacket, the other man came up behind him and assisted.

"Thanks."

"That's the first thing you've said to me since we left the gallery," Tim said softly.

Alex made himself turn around and face the other man.

"I'm sorry."

"What's wrong, Alex?" Tim asked, gently grasping Alex's arms. "Are you feeling all right?"

"Yeah," Alex breathed. "Just tired, I guess."

"Oh," Tim said and smiled. "For a while there, I thought maybe your silence had something to do with that friend of yours."

Alex's gaze shifted away from Tim's face.

"He's very good looking."

Still nothing.

"How long were you together?"

"Seven months," Alex croaked softly, not making the slightest attempt at denial.

"I'd ask if it was serious, but I think from your reaction to him, that would be a pretty foolish question."

"There...there was a lot of bad stuff between us," Alex said as matter-of-factly as his still raging emotions would allow. "Too much to get past. We fought a lot. Hurt each other. After one particularly ugly scene, we agreed to call it off. We thought it was best." He gave Tim a smile that never reached anywhere near his eyes. "And it was." He wrapped his arms around the other man. "'Cause look what I've got now."

"Tell me," Tim requested. "Tell me what you've got."

"I've got...kindness. And patience. And peace." He stroked a finger down Tim's cheek. "Gentleness... understanding."

"And you had none of that with him?"

Alex shook his head. "Not really."

"Yet, there was something. Otherwise, why would you wig out the way you did when you saw him?"

"I didn't wig out," Alex argued softly. "I was just surprised to see him, that's all."

"I've seen you surprised before, Alex. That was a lot more than surprised."

"Tim, please," Alex said, clearly becoming agitated. "I don't want to talk about this any more. I'm tired. I just want to go to bed, okay?"

"Okay," Tim said, immediately repentant. "I...I'm sorry, love. I didn't mean to upset you. Come on. Let's go to bed."

In the bedroom, Alex unbuttoned his shirt and moved toward the bathroom. "I need a shower," he announced softly and disappeared before Tim could acknowledge his statement.

Closing the door behind him, he leaned against the heavy wood and closed his eyes. Alone for the first Tim since seeing Fox, he was now able to really react. His body began a violent trembling, and the strength seemed to seep out of his legs. He sank to the floor and sat there for a good long while, trying to compose himself.

Seeing Fox tonight shocked ten years off of his life and brought back all the memories he'd tried so hard to suppress.

He'd never been able to completely forget the man. His voice, his touch. Those eyes. And yeah, if he was being honest with himself, he could never totally stop feeling the ache of not waking up next to him every morning, but he was getting through it. He was surviving, and that was more than he'd thought he'd ever be able to do. And, he'd even managed to let himself have another relationship. A healthy, good relationship with a man he had no history with. A man who neither knew nor cared about his past. A man who loved him and accepted him as he was, and...

Alex pushed himself to his feet and turned the shower on. Testing the water, he stepped inside and sighed loudly as the hot water pounded his skin. He closed his eyes and willed the water to wash the last few hours away, but instead of fading, the feelings intensified.

"Please," he whispered, hands clenching in his hair as images of him and Fox played relentlessly in his mind.

Locked together. Clutching at each other. Kissing and biting. Scratching, screaming as they thrashed violently against each other. Whimpering softly as they came down, sweaty and satisfied, purring in the warmth of each other's arms...

He gritted his teeth, praying for the images to stop, but they wouldn't. They continued on and on without letup, going from one recollection to another, and his cock ached for relief. His hand slipped downward, grasping the rock hard shaft, but he made himself let go before he could get off three good strokes.

If Tim initiated anything, and he couldn't get it up...he didn't want the other man feeling bad or, God forbid, getting the wrong impression.

Beating back the memories, he finished his shower and entered the bedroom, where he found Tim already undressed and in bed. Slipping in beside him, Alex ran his fingers through the damp, light brown hair.

"I showered in the other bathroom," Tim explained, setting his book aside and removing his glasses.

Alex nodded. "Tim, I'm...I'm sorry."

"No need to be. I shouldn't have pushed."

"I shouldn't have gotten mad. We've been together over a year, and you know next to nothing about me. Your first clue to my past life pops up in the form of an old flame, and you're not supposed to ask questions?"

"It's obviously painful for you. The last thing I want to do is add to that. I love you, Alex."

Sable lashed lowered, and Alex said nothing.

Tim had learned not to expect any response to those words. It had always stung a bit that Alex could never say he loved him too, but now he had reason to believe he knew why. He wondered if maybe Alex had been in love with this Fox once, and he'd gotten burned. It made total sense, judging from his reaction to the man, and his present mood. Heck, if he'd had a relationship that had come to a bad end, he supposed he'd be gun shy too...

"Yeah, it was painful. But it's over." Alex shifted closer, dusting the other man's shoulder with light kisses. "Fox Mulder is past history." His hand came up, stroking the other man's chest. "I don't want to dwell on the past, okay? The present is too good."

Tim drew Alex to him, kissing him tenderly.

"Okay, love. That works for me."

Relieved at Tim's easy acceptance of his statement, Alex slid onto his back, pulling the other man on top of him.

Fox never would have believed a single word of what he'd just said.

***

Mulder dragged into his apartment, tossing his coat in the direction of the coat rack. He stumbled over to the sofa and threw himself down onto the black leather, pressing his knuckles into his closed eyes.

A year and a half. Eighteen plus months of hard work shot to shit in just a few minutes time. Now, he'd have to try and start all over again.

It'd been goddamn tough. He'd never had an addiction before. Never had to kick one.

He'd hurt every day. And instead of it getting better like Scully and everybody else had kept telling him it would, it'd gotten worse. And worse, until he'd thought he'd break in two.

Months had gone by before he'd been able to manage the pain, and that had been what he had done until just a few hours ago, when he walked up and drowned himself in the depths of Alex Krycek's eyes.

Now, it was all back. Everything. Every word, every kiss, every fight. His taste. His smell...the naked warmth of his body, the sound of his voice, so rough and passionate in Mulder's ear, rasping sweet obscenities as they pushed each other to the brink of shattering orgasm...

"Fuck," Mulder whispered harshly, as his cock strained against his pants. "Alex. Jesus, Alex..."

Unable to resist, he undid his pants, pushing them down to his knees along with his underwear. His cock leapt forward, demanding attention, and he obeyed, gripping the long shaft with one hand. Panting heavily, he jerked himself with the intensity of his present memory.

He and Alex in the middle of his living room, right after a bitter argument, lying naked amongst the scattered remains of the contents of his desk, fucking like tomorrow would never come. Cuffed and screaming curses, taunting, Alex had lain beneath him, legs hooked over his shoulders, taking every brutal thrust and begging for more.

The image of Alex's face, twisted in sensual agony was as clear now as it had been then, and the sensations that were rocketing through him at the moment, almost as intense.

"Alex," he groaned through clenched teeth as he jerked himself harder. "Oh, God. Oh, fffffff...."

***

Alex lay beneath Tim, eyes closed as the other man moved gently inside him. He sighed softly, hands drifting over the lean back and buttocks, then they paused there, squeezing lightly.

"Mmmm...mmmm...."

Tim lifted his head and kissed Alex softly.

Always so careful. Always so tender and loving. Such a far cry from what he'd had with Fox.

Miles apart.

No desperation. No tearing clothing, no yelps of pain followed by groans of deep pleasure. He'd never once passed out when Tim had finished with him and woken up to find his body aching and scattered with marks of Tim's ownership.

"I love you," Tim whispered against his lips as he slipped a hand between them to grasp Alex's cock.

Fox had never said that to him. Not that Alex had wanted him to; he just...

He hugged Tim to him, trying to block out thoughts of the other man, but his body was screaming for that which it missed so desperately, and a small sob escaped him.

"What is it?" Tim asked, concern creasing his brow. "Did I hurt you?"

"No," Alex breathed. "No, I..." he licked his lower lip and closed his eyes to the gray gaze, mentally replacing it with stormy hazel. "Harder," he gasped, fingers digging into Tim's back.

Confused, but anxious to please his lover, Tim moved with a little more force. Very little, and Alex whined in frustration.

"Fuck me," he grated, trying to force Tim into a harder rhythm. "Do it!"

Genuinely distressed by Alex's sudden behavior, Tim stopped.

"Fucking bastard," Alex growled, fingers curling hard enough into Tim's flesh to leave welts. "Fuck me!"

"Alex," Tim called, fright edging his tone. "What's wrong with you?"

Alex's eyes snapped open, and his lips parted as if to say something, but all that eventually came out was a distraught whimper.

The moment he saw the pain that his lover was in, Tim rolled off of him and gathered him into his arms.

"It's all right," he whispered, stroking Alex's hair. "It's okay."

"I'm sorry," Alex croaked, barely able to form the words.

"No," Tim murmured, kissing the top of Alex's head. "No, don't worry about it. Just close your eyes and relax. Everything's fine."

Alex shuddered in Tim's gentle embrace, and his body screamed for the kind of release only one man had ever been able to give it.

No, everything wasn't fine. Everything was far from fine.

***

Mulder lay moaning softly on his sofa, sticky and spent, and more lonely than he'd felt in many, many months.

Why did he have to see Alex tonight? And when he had, why hadn't he just turned around and walked in the other direction? Why did he have to go to him? Look at him...talk to him? If he hadn't, he never would have seen Tim. He wouldn't be lying here now, imagining Alex, his Alex in another man's arms.

God, how could fate be so fucking cruel?

Maybe to snap you the fuck out of this perpetual haze you've been lingering in for over a year and a half. He's not yours any more. Maybe if you could have stopped being such a shithead, who had to always be right and stopped treating him like a fucking mindless delinquent half the time, you might have made it.

He's gone on with his life. And it looks like he might have made a pretty good choice this time. Be happy for him. Let him go. If you loved him, you would.

He'd never said those words before. To Alex or to himself. And now they resonated painfully in his head.

"Much too little, way too late. Leave him alone," Mulder whispered to himself. "Forget him. Let him forget you. It's the best thing you can do for him."

***

"Good morning."

Alex's lashes lifted, fluttering sluggishly, and he focused a fuzzy gaze on the smiling face above him.

"How d'you feel?"

"Okay," Alex said softly, not quite meeting Tim's eyes.

Tim lowered his head, brushing the tip of his nose against Alex's.

"Don't worry about last night."

"How can I not? I'm sorry, Tim, I..."

"You don't need to apologize."

Both men went quiet for a while, Tim absently stroking Alex's head. Then he spoke.

"Is that what it was like with him?"

Alex tried unsuccessfully to swallow past the tightness in his throat.

"Alex? Tell me. Is...is that what you want? If it is, I can...I can try to..."

"No," Alex gasped, reaching out to the other man. "No. Don't think that...that I want you to change. I don't want you to be somebody you're not. I don't know why I acted like that yesterday. I'm sorry, Tim. I'm so sorry."

"Shhh. You're upset, love. Calm down. It's all right. I just want to make you happy, that's all. I'd do anything to make you happy."

"You're the sweetest person I've ever known," Alex said, choking back the tears he felt stinging his eyes. "How can you be so damned understanding?"

"Easy," Tim murmured, his eyes shining as he looked down at the other man. "I love you."

The words, spoken with such honesty stabbed at Alex's heart, and he closed his eyes, turning his face away.

"I don't expect any more from you than you're able to give," Tim said, reading the pained expression. "You're here with me. Sharing my life. And I think you do care about me, don't you?"

"Yes," Alex rasped, turning back to look at Tim. "So much."

Tim nodded, smiling. "Then, I'm a happy man." He patted Alex's thigh. "Now, what d'you say we have some breakfast? I got some stuff I gotta do this morning, but then I'm free for the afternoon. We can start planning our weekend maybe?"

Alex returned the smile, putting Tim a little more at ease.

"Yeah. That'd be good."

"Great. Okay, you go get dressed, and I'll start the eggs."

Alex nodded and let Tim leave the room before the smile dropped from his face.

"Jesus."

What was he doing to this poor man? He hadn't said the exact words, but Tim had been ready to change everything he was for Alex. He was willing to take on the characteristics of another man just to please him. That was bad enough, but the really heartbreaking part of it was, there was no way in hell. Nothing he could ever do to even come within spitting distance of what Fox Mulder was.

***

A.D. Skinner sat back in his chair and watched the pair enter.

"Have a seat, agents."

When Mulder and Scully had taken their usual places, Skinner picked some papers up off if his desk.

"I have some news for you."

The agents waited silently.

"Sergio Morvan is dead."

"What? When?" Scully asked, leaning forward in her seat.

"He was found this morning in a shipping crate in the storage room of the art gallery."

"Who found him?" Mulder asked.

"A maintenance man. His...tongue was removed. So were his eyes."

Mulder lowered his head, shaking it slowly.

"Somebody's trying to send a very strong message to somebody."

"Yeah. Your job is to find out who. Interview everyone he was associated with. I suspect that if it's the same people who did this to him as those responsible for the disappearance of the paintings from the Hunter Gallery, they're really anxious to make sure no one catches them. God knows who else they'll kill to protect their identity."

"We'll get right on it," Scully sighed, standing. Mulder followed her lead, slowly getting to his feet.

"Mulder?" Skinner called before the agent could reach the door. Mulder turned around and met the A.D.'s eye.

"Are you feeling all right?"

Mulder nodded. "Fine. Why?"

"I don't know. You just seem a bit subdued."

"I...I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night," Mulder answered softly.

Skinner nodded. "All right, then."

Mulder exited the office without another word and fell in beside Scully as they made their way down the hall.

"Not much sleep or no sleep at all?" Scully asked.

Mulder shrugged and changed the subject.

"So. We gotta compile a list of people to visit. I guess the uh...the gallery would be a likely place to start."

"I can handle that if you don't want to."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, Mulder, it was just last night that you saw Krycek there. Maybe you'd rather not go back so soon."

"I appreciate your concern, Scully, but I'm okay."

The redhead eyed him doubtfully.

"Really. It's okay."

"All right," she said, knowing she'd probably regret letting him go, but what else could she do? "Let's go."

***

"What's going on here?"

"I'm sorry, sir. No unauthorized persons are allowed inside."

Tim looked around at all the police cars, shaking his head.

"I don't understand. I was just here last night. What the heck happened?"

The policeman raised his eyebrow. "You were? Well, hold on. Maybe you can go inside after all." Drawing his radio to his mouth, he called out to someone named Ralph.

"Hey, Ralph. I got someone out here who was at the opening last night. Ask those fibbies if they wanna talk to him."

Seconds later, Ralph came back, instructing the officer to let Tim in. He made his way through the maze of personnel and entered the building, where he found the gallery's owner speaking to a woman and the man he now knew as his lover's old boyfriend.

Mulder turned to face the new arrival, masking his shock at seeing Alex's new lover so soon again after last night. Firming his mouth, he nodded civilly to Tim, who gave him the same courtesy before turning to Paul Aveson.

"Paul. What's this about? What happened here?"

Paul drew a deep, shaky breath and let it out.

"Sergio is dead."

"What? When? How?"

"That's what we're trying to find out," the woman answered, flashing her badge for him. "Agents Scully and Mulder, F.B.I. We'd like to speak with everyone who was here last night, Mr..."

"Foster. Tim Foster."

... Tim.

Scully shot a quick glance up at her partner, and the look on his face was enough to confirm what she had had already guessed.

"Mr. Foster. Uh...how did you know Mr. Morvan?"

"We were acquaintances. We'd met a few years ago when I did the renovations on this gallery for Mr. Aveson. It was him I usually dealt with, and we became fairly friendly."

"I see. Did you know anything about the robberies at the Hunter Gallery across town?"

"I'd heard something about it a few weeks ago, then nothing. Why?"

"We believe Mr. Morvan knew about it. He had contacted us the day before yesterday and asked for a meeting. He was killed before that meeting could take place."

Tim lifted his hand to his forehead. "Jeez."

"May I ask why you're here this morning, Mr. Foster?"

"I..." He sighed heavily. "My God, I'm just....forgive me, I'm just a little shocked, you know? I uh...I actually came to talk to Mr. Aveson about a painting I wanted to buy."

"That one you were telling me Alex was so smitten with?" Aveson asked.

"Yeah," Tim said, glancing quickly at Mulder.

"Thought you said he didn't want you spending all that money on him?"

"Yeah, but I...I want to. I know he loves it, and..."

"Whatever Alex wants, Alex gets," Aveson concluded, smiling now, glad for some lighter conversation, however brief it might be. "You do spoil him so."

"He's worth it," Tim answered softly, and Mulder turned away.

"S'cuse me."

Aveson watched, confused as the agent stalked away. His partner excused herself and went after him.

"Wonder what that's about?"

"I'll tell you later," Tim said, surprising Aveson with his knowledge of the situation.

Several dozen feet away, Scully caught up to Mulder and gently grasped his arm, stopping him.

"I thought you said you were okay."

"Guess not," Mulder answered dully.

"Mulder, go sit in the car. I'll finish up here."

"He really is much better off now, isn't he?" Mulder asked in a small voice.

Scully shrugged. "No one but Krycek can tell you that for sure."

"I don't think Alex needs to say the words for me to believe it. He's hooked up with a real prince this time."

"All I saw was a man who apparently buys him a lot of stuff. No one can buy real love. Not even Alex Krycek's."

"I think he'd be stupid not to love him. You should have seen them. Old Timmy was so sweet and attentive and...he deserves to have someone like that. Someone who loves him."

"He had someone who loved him. You never had to say it," Scully added, seeing the question in her partner's eyes. "I know you loved him. Correction. I know you love him. And I think you'd try to work things out with him in a heartbeat if you had the chance."

"But I don't," Mulder replied. "He's with a man who can give him everything... be everything he needs, and I won't screw with that. I'd be the worst kind of asshole if I did."

Before Scully could reply, Tim Foster came up behind her.

"Agent Mulder...Fox...can I speak to you for a moment?"

Scully's mouth dropped open, but she shut it quickly and backed away. "I uh...I'm going to go talk to Mr. Aveson some more." And then she was gone, leaving the two men alone.

"What can I do for you?" Fox asked softly, meeting the other man's gaze.

"I learned a little more about you last night. Not because Alex had volunteered any information. But I sort of guessed, and then he told me."

Fox nodded and lowered his head.

"I don't know any specifics, really. But I do know that he obviously cared enough about you to be very upset at seeing you last night. And from your reactions yesterday and today, I'd say that you had some pretty strong feelings as well."

"Things between Alex and me were always...intense," Mulder said.

"So I gathered," Tim said, remembering how Alex got last night while they were making love. "Why'd it end, if you don't mind me asking?"

"You can't have that level of intensity twenty-four seven," Mulder said. "There's gotta be quiet sometimes. Comfort. Every time it started to happen, one of us would heat things back up, and I'm not talking about in a good way. Looking back, I think it was on purpose. We were both too afraid of reaching that comfort zone."

"Why?"

"Don't know for sure. Finally, we just derailed." Mulder shrugged. "And it was over."

"Do you regret it?"

"Every day," Mulder answered honestly. "I won't tell you that seeing him again hasn't dredged up all kinds of feelings, but I will say that I have no intention of acting on them. Alex deserves to be happy, and I'm betting you can do that for him."

"I'm trying hard," Tim said earnestly. "He means the world to me."

Mulder continued to look the other man in the face, though he could feel the threatening sting of tears behind his own eyes.

"Good. Take...take good care of him."

"You can count on it."

Mulder swallowed hard. "All right, then. I'll...if there's anything else I need to talk to you about regarding this case, where can I contact you?"

Tim gave Mulder his cell phone number then watched as he mouthed a quick goodbye and exited the building at a brisk walk.

***

"You haven't said a word since we left the gallery," Scully said as Mulder made the exit that would take them to the Hunter Gallery.

"Nothing to say."

"C'mon, Mulder. What happened with Foster?"

"Nothing."

"You don't talk for five minutes to your ex-lover's new lover then say it was nothing."

Mulder heaved a long sigh. "He told me that he knew something of my relationship with Alex, I told him that I didn't intend to interfere with them, and that was that. Okay?"

"Okay," Scully said, knowing full well that wasn't all there was to it.

"Who're we talking to, here?" Mulder asked, pulling up in front of the gallery.

"John Hunter, the owner."

"All right." Mulder put the car in park and killed the engine. "Let's go."

***

Two weeks later

"All packed?"

"Yep." Alex hefted the bag up over his shoulder and smiled at the other man. "Ready when you are."

"I will be in a minute."

The buzzer rang, and Alex dropped his bag, heading toward the door. "I'll get it."

A smirking Tim followed stealthily, watching from the corner as Alex answered the door and took the package from the delivery man.

Frowning, Alex looked from the package to Tim, who had now wiped the smile off of his face and strode into the room with both bags.

"What's this? You order something?"

Shrugging, Tim gave Alex his best innocent stare.

"Open it. See what it is."

Still completely unaware, Alex tore open the packaging and stared dumbfounded as he uncovered the painting he'd been so taken with two weeks ago at the exhibit.

"Tim," he breathed, staring at the portrait. "You...I told you not to do this."

"I know, but..." Tim approached slowly. "...I couldn't resist. Are you mad at me?"

Alex closed his eyes and tipped his head back.

"Mad...no, how can I ever be mad at you? But..."

"No buts." Tim wrapped his arms around the other man. "Happy anniversary, love."

"You're way... way too good to me," Alex breathed, laying his head on Tim's shoulder. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything. Just pick up your bag and let's go have us a nice, quiet weekend. We can find someplace to hang that when we get back."

"Okay."

Alex put the painting in the bedroom and ran to catch up to Tim as he carried the bags out the door.

***

"Mulder."

"I need to talk to you."

"Okay. Uh...who is this?"

"I know the last person who tried to talk to you wound up very dead."

"You know something about the robberies and the murder?"

"I know the wrong paintings were taken. I know they're planning to go back after the right ones."

"How can you look at a painting and mistake it for another?" Mulder asked. "...Unless it isn't the paintings they're after."

"Now you got it. Be at the Lincoln Memorial at twelve-thirty. By the statue. Alone."

Before Mulder could ask anything more, the man hung up.

"What's the matter?" Scully asked, walking into the office just as he put the phone down. "You look a little disturbed."

"I just got a very interesting phone call," Mulder sighed then looked up at his partner. "The wrong paintings were stolen."

"Huh?"

"I was just informed that the wrong paintings were stolen from the Hunter Gallery, and that the thieves plan on rectifying their mistake."

"How stupid can they be?" She asked. "Didn't they know they had the wrong paintings?"

"That was my first question. But it isn't really the paintings they're after. I would assume it's what might be behind them."

"Okay. But still. If someone tells you to take paintings A, B, C and D, are you going to steal E, F, G and H instead?"

"I'll find that out at twelve-thirty."

"Why? What's going on at twelve-thirty?"

"I'm going to meet the caller."

"Where are we meeting them?"

"Not we. I."

"Mulder..."

"I know, I know. But I can't risk spooking him."

"Mulder, this is not a good idea. You have no idea what you could be walking into."

"I think he purposely picked a very public place in the middle of the day so I would trust him and come alone."

"People have been killed or abducted in very public places in the middle of the day, you know."

"I know. But I'll be fine."

Scully's expression spoke to her total discomfort with the plan.

"Look. I'll call you by one o'clock. If you don't hear from me by then, you can take half the Bureau and storm the Lincoln Memorial, okay?"

"Don't think I won't."

Mulder looked at his watch and rose from his chair.

"I think I'm gonna get going. You know how brutal parking can be at this time of day."

"Fine. Just be careful, all right?"

"Aren't I always?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

Mulder gave his partner a smile that did nothing to comfort her and left the office.

***

Tim pulled up to the hotel and handed the keys to the valet as Alex got out of the car.

"Four Seasons, huh? Nice."

Tim smiled, dusting Alex's temple with a kiss. "Let's go check in."

The couple walked into the elegant lobby, and as Tim checked them in, Alex poked around, clearly impressed with his lover's choice.

"You like?" Tim asked, coming up behind Alex as he watched the fountains gurgle in the courtyard.

Raising one sable eyebrow, Alex turned his head and nodded.

"We aim to please," Tim murmured, nuzzling the other man's neck. "Let's go see our room."

The elevator took them smoothly to the top floor, and they stepped off, turning right once they got their bearings.

"Here it is." Tim swiped the card, unlocking the door, and he opened it, stepping aside to allow Alex entry.

"Room," Alex said, looking around. "It's a suite." He walked into the sitting room, his hand lightly traveling along the back of a coral, federal-style sofa.

"Just because we're only here for two days doesn't mean we shouldn't be comfortable, right?" Tim asked, his eyes sparkling.

Smiling, Alex shook his head and peeked into the bedroom.

"Wow."

Tim approached and eyed the room then the king-sized bed appreciatively.

"That looks inviting."

Alex gave him a sly little smirk and sashayed into the room, dropping his bag and sliding up onto the bed.

"How about now?" he asked, reclining against the mass of pillows.

Tim growled softly and lowered his own bag to the floor as he walked toward the bed.

"Now it looks irresistible."

Tim lowered himself to the bed, lying pressed against Alex, and he lifted a hand to the other man's chest, stroking gently.

"Do you really like it here?"

"I love it. Thank you. And thank you for the painting." Alex shook a finger at Tim. "Even though you didn't listen to me when I told you not to buy it."

Tim caught the moving finger and planted a kiss on its tip. "I'm sorry. I just have no control when it comes to spoiling you." He shrugged happily. "Guess you're just going to have to learn to live with it."

Alex sighed, gazing up into the other man's eyes.

"How'd I get so damn lucky?"

Tim's mouth curved up into a gentle smile, and Alex reached up, threading his fingers through the sandy-brown hair. He pulled the other man down into a deep kiss, and when they parted, he felt Tim's cock swelling against his thigh. Slowly, his hand inched downward, lightly caressing the rapidly hardening bulge.

"Let's do something about this."

He shifted position, pushing Tim back against the pillows, and the other man lay moaning as he rose to his knees and slowly undid his shirt. He pulled it from inside his jeans and peeled it off, letting it fall to the floor. Smirking, he pushed Tim's hands away as the other man tried to sit up and help him undo his jeans.

"Lie down," Alex said softy, incurring another moan. Tim obeyed grudgingly, and Alex slid off the bed, making a show of removing his jeans.

"Want some music?" Tim asked, watching Alex wiggle and tease as the pants slowly came off. He grinned at Alex's low chuckle, and not long after the jeans lay on the floor near the shirt, the underwear came off and landed on his face. He pressed the boxer-briefs to his nose, inhaling deeply, then pulled them away with a soft groan. He opened his eyes to find a now very naked Alex crawling back up onto the bed and leaning over him.

"Lie still," Alex demanded softly as Tim tried to reach up and touch him. When the other man's hand dropped back to the bed, Alex pulled his shirt out of his pants then pulled it up and over his head, baring his upper body.

Tim's eyes rolled up in his head, and his mouth fell open on a long sigh as Alex leaned in and began to bathe his chest with his tongue. His jaw tightened when Alex turned his attention on his nipples, flicking the tips lightly, and when the other man began to suckle one, Tim's fingers clenched tightly in the duvet, and he arched quietly against Alex's mouth.

At first, Alex didn't know what to make of Tim's silence. He had no way of knowing really, what felt good to him and what didn't, and it was more than a bit unnerving. It had been so easy with Fox. He was so vocal, so animated, and Alex always knew exactly what to do to make him scream. With Tim it was quite a bit more work, but he learned to read the other man's expressions and body movements, and while he never grew completely comfortable with the silence, he was at least confident now that he was in fact giving Tim pleasure.

Teasing the nipple for a short while longer, he switched to the other while going to work on Tim's pants. Slowly drawing the zipper down, his hand stole inside, lightly gripping the heated flesh, and Tim jerked against him. Alex pulled away and grasped the pants with both hands.

"Lift up."

Tim obeyed, lifting his hips and letting Alex remove the remainder of his clothing, and when he was completely naked, he reached up pulling Alex down on top of him. Their lips met, and they kissed with gentle passion until Alex broke away long minutes later and looked down at him. Saying nothing, he slid down the length of Tim's body, kissing and licking the whole way until he reached the other man's cock.

Tim inhaled deeply, feeling the warmth of Alex's breath flowing over his cock, and he held it as he was slowly enveloped in moist warmth.

Alex closed his eyes and moved lower, taking the whole of Tim's cock into his mouth, and a sudden burning began behind his eyes and in his nose. He concentrated hard on the act, trying to keep from crying at the sudden memories that flooded his consciousness.

Fox, sobbing and whimpering, thrusting upward, pushing his exceptional length of cock down Alex's throat. Crying obscenities as he came, pumping a hot stream of semen into his mouth. Him, kissing and licking his purring lover clean. And when that was done, Fox would roll Alex beneath him and reciprocate most spectacularly.

The vibrations of Alex's whimpering around his cock provided enough stimulation to take Tim the rest of the way, and he came. Squeezing his eyes shut, Alex swallowed then pulled off of the drained man and moved up to lay his head on the heaving chest. Soon after, he felt a hand in his hair, and Tim's voice sounded, soft and weak.

"Happy Anniversary to me."

Alex kissed the other man's chest and said nothing.

"Thank you," Tim said, petting the sable head, knowing that what he'd just received was truly a gift.

Oral sex was something Alex never seemed to want before, and he would never explain why. Tim didn't push the issue, and they'd gone on that way for over a year. Until just now.

"That was incredible, love," he breathed, amazed at the way Alex had managed to actually swallow his...

The revelation hit him over the head only just then. That wasn't the first time. Obviously Alex had had some practice, and he bet he knew whom with.

He shook off the surge of jealousy and went back to concentrating on his appreciation of Alex's gift to him and the renewed hope that maybe...

"W-would you let me..."

Alex squeezed his eyes shut, knowing that what he'd just done would prompt Tim to ask if he could give back to him. And he thought he was ready for it. He thought he could handle it. Why not? He'd just sucked the man off and lived through it...

"Tim...I..."

Tim closed his eyes and hugged Alex gently. "It's okay," he sighed. I just thought...it's all right. When you're ready, love. Until then..." He stroked Alex's back and rear as he shifted beneath him and spread his legs in invitation.

Giving Tim a trembling smile, Alex got up and went over to his bag, digging through the front pouch. Finding what he needed, he returned to the bed and straddled the other man, handing the tube to him.

Grinning, Tim unscrewed the cap and squeezed some gel out into his palm. Warming it a bit, he reached out and began to stroke it onto Alex's cock. He felt the partially erect organ get harder, and he pulled his hand away, staring up into Alex's eyes.

"...Give it to me. F....fuck me, baby."

Alex blinked, trying to wrap his mind around that one. It sounded so completely alien coming from Tim, and he wasn't entirely sure he could get used to it, but...bless the man's heart, he was trying.

Lifting Tim against him, he guided his cock into position and pushed inside. Tim's mouth fell open, but he was characteristically quiet even as Alex quickly found his rhythm and began to thrust into him.

"Mmmh...ahhhh..."

It was impossible for Alex to be completely silent, but he found that he had started to lose his inherent tendencies to make the racket that he used to. Whether it had come from living with Tim for a year, or the deep down fear that he was somehow being disrespectful to the memory of what he'd had with Fox, he wasn't sure. Maybe it was just that he was afraid of scaring the hell out of the poor man. He'd shown Tim a very small part of his old self a couple of weeks ago, and Tim had been shocked by it. He couldn't do that again. He wouldn't.

Eyes closed, Tim stroked the backs of Alex's thighs, squeezing gently and silently encouraging him to take his pleasure. Alex began to move faster, pumping harder but not too hard, and finally, he came, grunting softly. When he finished, he relaxed into Tim's arms and closed his eyes as he was stroked and kissed.

"That was good," Tim murmured, still caressing the man in his arms. What d'you want to do now?"

If it was Fox he was lying there with, they'd be at it again, and in no time, he'd be screaming just as loudly as he had the first go 'round.

Stop it! Stop fucking thinking about him!

He wished with all his heart that he'd never seen Fox that day. Everything was fine before then. Everything was all right, and now...

"Dunno. Unpack?"

"Guess we should. Then maybe we can think about dinner?"

"Okay."

They got up, showered together, and then unpacked their clothing and started off in search of something to eat. Three hours later, they were back in the room, making love once more before Tim fell soundly asleep.

Alex lay wide awake in the warmth of his lover' arms, watching the clock change from midnight to one, to two o'clock and beyond, and the whole time his mind was on just one thing. And as hard as he tried, he couldn't stop himself.

***

"Agent Mulder."

Mulder turned around to find a unremarkable man of medium build and height standing on the other side of the statue of Abraham Lincoln.

"Are you the man who called me?"

"Yes."

"What information have you got for me?"

"The people who took the paintings...the same ones who killed Sergio Morvan..."

That answered that question.

"They're pissed. They were purposely given the wrong information."

"By whom?"

"Morvan."

"Well, that explains why they killed him. What was his association with them? Why'd he name the wrong paintings?"

"He was part of their group. He'd turned into a closet dissident some years ago. Didn't want them to get their hands on the right paintings. He knew what would happened if they did. That's why he'd called you and your partner to the gallery that night. He was going to name the correct paintings to you and ask you to get to them before the others did."

"What is it with these paintings?"

"Each one contains a device. A narrow strip approximately three inches long, hidden somewhere in the canvas."

"What is this device?"

"A very complex tracking system."

"What type?"

"...Alien."

And his nice, simple theft/homicide case took a sharp left turn directly into the paranormal.

"What was to be done with them?"

"They were to be taken to a lab somewhere in the mountains of Virginia and reconstructed. You see, all of the components have got to be present for it to work."

"And once it's all put together?"

The man moved closer. "You don't wanna know."

Mulder stared silently.

"Get those paintings, Agent Mulder. We're all in danger until they can all be found and destroyed."

"All? But you just said that the device isn't operable unless all the components are there."

"True. But the rest can be replicated from only one piece. It'll take years, but it's do-able. Of course, they don't want to have to do that, and they'll go to any lengths to make sure that all six components are delivered to them."

Mulder looked at the floor for long seconds then lifted his head and met the man's eyes.

"How do you know all this? Who are you?"

"That's information you don't need to have, Agent Mulder."

"Where are they?"

"Two are still at the Hunter Gallery, and the other four are at Aveson's."

"What are the names?"

"Maryanne, Night Owl, Girl on a Bridge, Empty, Autumn Sky, and Submarine Races."

Mulder hadn't heard a thing after 'Empty'.

He remembered looking at the painting the day he'd met Alex at the gallery, and he recalled the name clearly.

'Empty'.

And then he recalled the words he'd just heard.

"They'll go to any lengths..."

"Write 'em down. Hurry."

The man pulled out a piece of paper. "Already have. I was hoping you'd believe me."

Mulder snatched the paper and whirled around, rushing down the steps. Pulling his phone out of his coat pocket, he hit Scully's number.

"...Scully. It's me. I need your help."

***

"Did you order room service?" Alex asked, heading to the door when he heard the knock. Swinging it open, he watched, confused as a small group of people smiled at him and entered, wheeling in tables and equipment. "What..." He looked to Tim, who had just entered from the bedroom. "What's this?"

"Oh," Tim said, smirking. "Didn't I tell you?"

"Uh. Nooo."

"We're having a little ah...spa treatment."

Alex raised his eyebrows. "Spa treatment?"

"Yeah. You know. Deep tissue massage, facials, manicures..."

"Are you serious?"

"'Course I am. Never had any of that?"

"Well, I..." Alex bit back his words, stopping himself from mentioning the massages Fox used to give him. "Uh...no."

"You're in for a treat, then."

"We'll step out of the room for a moment and give you gentlemen a chance to undress," one of the women present said. "Once you have, just lie face down on the table, placing your face in the donut," she said, motioning to the hollow cushion at the head of the table. Smiling, she left the room, followed by the other masseuse, and Alex stared at Tim.

"Undress? Completely?"

"They're very discreet, don't worry."

Alex grunted and began to remove his clothing.

"You're gonna love it," Tim sang, and minutes later, both men were lying face down while two of the strongest women Alex had ever encountered, worked their muscles.

"How's it going?" Tim asked, receiving nothing more than a deep groan as an answer.

Laughing softly, he relaxed and enjoyed the rest of his massage.

***

"Mulder."

"It's me. We're lucky. The two paintings that were supposed to be at the Hunter Gallery are still here. You reach Aveson's yet?"

"Almost there."

"Take it easy, Mulder. Maybe that painting that Aveson and Foster were talking about wasn't the one that you saw that night. Maybe there was one that Krycek was interested in more."

"I hope so."

"We're securing the paintings now. Let me know how you make out."

"Right. Talk to you in a few."

Mulder screeched to a halt in front of the gallery and leapt out of his car. Rushing inside, the first person he ran into was Paul Aveson.

"Agent Mulder. I'm surprised to see you today."

"Yeah. Sorry to barge in on you, but I need your help." He whipped out his list and shoved it in the man's face. "Are these four paintings still here?"

Aveson studied the sheet, skipping over the two crossed out titles.

"Umm...yes. Yes, I believe they are."

Mulder started to breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Well, except for this one."

The breath died in his throat. "Which one?"

"This one." Aveson pointed. "Empty."

Mulder's heart leapt in his chest then began to pound triple time.

"Where is it?"

"I sold it to Tim Foster. You remember that..." He recalled what Tim had told him about this man's former relationship with Alex, and he hesitated before speaking. "...Uh...he...he bought it the day you were here with your partner."

"Where does he live?"

"Uhhh..."

"This is very important, Mr. Aveson. Al...their lives could be in danger."

"What?"

Mulder pulled out his phone and made a call to agents who were standing by, then he returned his attention to Aveson.

"Some agents are going to come in and secure these three paintings. I'll wait until they get here, but then I have to see Tim Foster."

Aveson read the urgency in Mulder's tone, and he nodded, giving the address to the agent. Half an hour later, Mulder was on his way.

Scully arrived first, sighing as Mulder skidded to a stop in front of her just a few minutes later. He jumped out of his car and started inside without a word. Scully followed, practically running to keep up with her partner's long strides. Once they'd boarded the elevator, Mulder punched the button and paced the floor, running his fingers through his hair.

"Mulder, you need to take it easy. Your emotions are getting in the way of your professionalism."

"You saw what they did to Morvan, right?" Mulder asked. "They had the balls to leave his body behind as a warning to anyone else who'd decided to get in their way. They'd have no problem offing anyone else who they saw as an obstacle."

The elevator opened and the two stepped off, striding down the hall.

"But, Mulder. You seem to forget that this isn't any ordinary civilian we're worried about, here. It'd take some doing for anyone to get the drop on Krycek."

"Maybe so. But you'll forgive me if I still don't want to take any chances."

Arriving at the door marked one twenty-seven, Mulder took a deep breath and knocked. He waited a moment then knocked harder.

"Mr. Foster."

No answer.

He closed his eyes for a second then knocked once more.

"Alex?"

Still nothing.

"I'm gonna break it down."

"What? Mulder..."

"What?"

"You can't!"

"Why not? What if those people have already been here and caught them by surprise?"

"And what if they're just not home? How can you justify breaking their door down? We haven't even got a warrant!"

"Alex won't put up a fuss once he finds out what this is about."

"No, but his boyfriend might."

Mulder stopped and looked down at the woman.

"I'm sorry, Mulder. But you needed a reality check."

Before Mulder could respond, a woman peeked out of her apartment two doors down.

"Umm...can I help you?"

"Yes," Scully breathed, stepping toward the woman and showing her badge. "Special agents Scully and Mulder, F.B.I. Do you know the occupants of this apartment?"

"Yeah. Tim and Alex."

"Would you happen to know where they are?"

"They've gone away for the weekend. Sort of an anniversary celebration thing."

"Anniversary," Mulder repeated softly.

"Yeah. Their first." The woman smiled. "They're so cute."

Mulder's gaze lowered to the carpeted floor.

"Do you know when they'll be back?" Scully asked.

"Tomorrow. I don't know what time, though. I...is there a problem?"

"Thank you for your time," Scully said, not answering the woman's question, then she backed away and followed her partner, who had already started off down the hall.

"So, now what?"

"Foster gave me his number."

"His...you're going to call him?"

"I need to make sure that they're really just away."

"Mulder," Scully called softly. "You heard the neighbor. They're off celebrating their..." She stopped there, unwilling to say the rest.

"I need to be sure."

Mulder pulled his wallet out, checking the number, then he called.

***

"Who the heck is that?" Tim moaned, reaching for his phone as warm steam washed over his face.

"You should've just shut it off."

"I know, but I'd told everybody not to call unless it was an extreme emergency."

"Then maybe it is," Alex murmured, breathing in the cleansing steam. "Better answer it."

Grumbling, Tim jerked the phone to his ear.

"Yes?"

"Mr. Foster, I'm...I'm very sorry to disturb you...this is Agent Mulder."

Tim's eyes snapped open.

"Yes? What can I do for you?"

"That...that painting you bought a couple of weeks ago."

"Yes."

"It and five other are directly connected to the death of Sergio Morvan."

"What? How's that possible?"

"I'd really rather not discuss it on the phone."

"I'm in Pennsylvania," Tim explained, irritation showing in his voice. Enough irritation to make Alex sit up and take notice. "So if we don't discuss it on the phone..."

"Listen," Mulder broke in, his limited patience already gone, "I wouldn't have called you if this wasn't extremely important. Your lives are in danger. There's a device planted in that painting that a certain group of people would go to any lengths to get."

"What kind of device?"

"Part of an alien tracking system."

Tim began to laugh. "Couldn't you come up with anything better than that? You know, I actually believed you when you said you didn't want to do anything to disrupt our lives. How stupid was I?"

Alex frowned, listening to Tim's side of what was obviously a very tense conversation.

"You're wrong," Mulder insisted. "You need to understand this. The people who killed Sergio Morvan will kill you if they find that you're in possession of that painting."

"I'm not listening to this anymore. Good bye."

"Son of a bitch!" Mulder roared, slamming his phone shut as he turned back toward the apartment.

"He didn't believe you?" Scully asked, not at all surprised as she ran after Mulder.

"No. The stupid fuck thinks I'm just trying to mess things up with him and Alex!"

"So, what're you doing?" Scully asked, not at all sure she wanted to know.

"Breaking the damn door down."

"No, Mulder, no!"

"This thing is not going to be here when Alex gets back, Scully. I'm going to give anyone the opportunity to kill him!"

"Let's just keep surveillance, okay?" Scully pleaded. "They'll be back tomorrow, then we can get in and get the painting. Nothing broken, no one dead. Please, Mulder."

"All right," Mulder hissed. "Fine."

"Good," Scully breathed. I'll call for backup. Get all possible entrances covered, okay?"

Mulder nodded, leaning against the wall and sliding downward until he was sitting on the floor while Scully made her calls.

"A.D. Skinner, please..." Scully looked down at Mulder, absently counting the tension lines in his forehead. "...Sir? It's Scully. I'm going to need your approval on some surveillance teams..."

***

"Tim, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, babe. Come on, let's just relax and finish our facials."

"Something's wrong," Alex insisted. "I've never seen you so upset."

Tim sighed, knowing that there was no way Alex was going to leave it alone.

"That...that was Fox Mulder," he said, and Alex gave him an incredulous stare. "He was spewing some baloney about your painting and aliens."

"What?"

"Yeah. You believe it?"

"Tell me exactly what he said."

"You don't really want to hear this stuff, do you?"

"Yeah," Alex said. "I do. What did he say?"

Tim repeated Mulder's words, and Alex sat quietly, taking it all in. Then, "And what was that about you believing him when he said he wouldn't interfere with us?"

"I saw him the day after the show. The day I went to buy your painting. He was there investigating Sergio's death. We had a talk."

Alex stared. "About?"

"He's still got feelings for you. I'm not guessing. He told me."

Alex's heart thrashed in his chest.

"But he also said that he thought that you were much better off with me, and that he wouldn't do anything to interfere with our relationship. I believed him. Boy, was I stupid."

Alex rubbed at his forehead, trying to absorb everything he'd just heard.

"Don't worry about it, babe. I'll deal with this on Monday."

"No." Alex looked up at the other man. "Today. We have to go back today."

Tim's eyes widened. "What?"

"We have to go back. We need to find out what this is about."

"I know what this is about. This is about a man who can't deal with the fact that his ex is in a happy, stable relationship with someone else, and he's trying to wreck it."

"No. He wouldn't do that."

"Alex, you...you don't believe what he's saying, do you?"

"Fox Mulder is a lot of things, Tim. And I can name them all. But liar doesn't make the list."

"Maybe he wasn't a liar until now."

"No. You don't know him."

"That's right," Tim said softly. "I don't. But you do."

"Tim." Alex reached out to the other man. "Don't, okay? Don't start getting strange ideas in your head. We need to go back to get this painting business settled. That's all."

Tim's gaze remained cast to the floor. Alex got off of his table and approached the other man.

"Tim." He placed a hand on Tim's knee.

Tim looked up and into Alex's eyes.

"Okay," he said softly, rising from his table. "We'll leave. As soon as we can get packed."

"I'm sure that when we get there, you'll find out that whatever he's saying is true."

"All right." Tim brushed Alex's jaw with his fingertips. "If his word's good enough for you, it's good enough for me."

He dismissed the women then slipped an arm around Alex's waist and guided him toward the bedroom.

"Although, I gotta tell you. This alien story is just a bit hard to swallow."

***

"Scully."

Mulder watched as his partner's expression went from bland to horrified as she listened to her caller.

"What? How many? Where? Did they get any of the paintings?"

"Shit," Mulder cursed, waiting to get the full story.

"All right. Thank you. I'll be in touch."

Scully disconnected and bowed her head.

"What happened?"

"The truck that was transporting the paintings from Aveson's was ambushed. Two agents were killed and three wounded before the situation was brought under control."

"Did any of the hijackers get away?"

"One. The rest were killed in the firefight."

"What about the paintings?"

"Secure."

Mulder breathed deeply, letting it out in a heavy sigh.

"How many people have we got outside?"

"Six."

"Inside?"

"Four, including us."

"I think we might need more."

"Skinner had a hard enough time getting us these agents."

"Guess we'll just have to stay awake then," Mulder said, stretching and looking up at Scully. "Got any cards on ya?"

***

Tim pulled into the building's garage and took a deep breath.

"Well. Let's go see what this alien stuff is all about."

"We should call first," Alex said, placing his hand on Tim's arm to keep him from exiting the car. "They might not want us to go in without an escort."

Tim turned and stared at Alex.

"I...you think?"

"Maybe."

"Well...Mulder's got my number, but I don't have his card on me, so..."

Alex paused for a moment.

"...I know it."

"Oh. Yeah. Uh...you remember it?"

"If...I...if it's the same number, I think I do." Alex lowered his gaze. "Maybe it isn't the same."

"Let's find out." He punched in the number Alex gave him and waited only one ring before making the connection.

"Mulder."

Tim waited two beats before speaking.

"Agent Mulder. It's Tim Foster. We're outside our apartment building. We discussed it and decided to come home now. We uh...we thought it might be a good idea to call and wait until someone got here before we went in."

"We're in the lobby."

"The...what lobby?"

"Yours. We've got people watching the building."

"You..." Tim looked around. "You do?"

"Yeah. Stay where you are. We'll come out for you. Where are you parked?"

"Down in the garage. Section three-b."

"We'll be there."

Tim acknowledged the instructions and disconnected, looking to his quiet lover.

"Guess he's serious. He says he's got people watching the building."

Alex nodded. "There are two across the way."

"Where?"

"Green Expedition."

Tim peered at the vehicle. "How d'you know?"

Before Alex could answer, he noticed the man and woman coming toward them. He took a deep, steadying breath, got out of the car and waited.

Mulder and Scully stopped just two feet away, and Mulder's eyes automatically locked on Alex's.

"Mr. Foster, thank you for deciding to return early," Scully said, drawing Tim's attention away from the two men. "We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused."

"Right," Tim said flatly. "Let's get this over with."

Taking Alex's hand, he walked toward the building, leaving the agents behind.

Giving Mulder a glance meant to console, Scully coaxed him along, following the couple as they walked.

The elevator ride was a study in discomfort, with Mulder and Scully standing against one wall and Alex and Tim against the other. Mulder tried hard to keep his eyes averted, but it was next to impossible. Twice he snuck a furtive glance Alex's way, and each time, pain lanced through him.

The couple stood close together, Tim's arm wrapped possessively around Alex's waist. Alex's gaze remained cast toward the floor, and all was quiet.

The silence unnerved Scully, and she began to speak.

"We've rounded up all the other paintings. Yours is the last one."

"Do you have any leads on who might be at the bottom of this?"

Scully looked to Alex, surprised to hear him speak.

"The vehicle transporting some of the paintings was ambushed earlier. Men were killed on both sides, and one of the perps got away. The ones who were taken down haven't been ID'ed yet."

"Do you think maybe some of Smokey's old crew are involved in this?"

Tim looked from Scully to Alex curiously.

"I don't know of anybody else with that much nerve," Mulder said, drawing everyone's attention.

Just then, the doors opened, and the group stepped out.

"We know they hadn't all been rounded up," Scully said as they walked. "They could still be up to no good."

"Be sure to check the backs of their necks," Alex advised. "Just above the hairline. If they belong to the old Consortium, they'll have tiny implants there. Not like the one you had, Scully. These were just to ID everyone."

"We didn't know that. Did you have one?"

Alex glanced briefly at Tim. "Not any more."

They reached the apartment, and everyone went quiet as Tim put the key in the lock. He looked nervously at the agents as they drew their weapons. Before he could open the door, Alex pulled him away.

"What?"

"Let us just secure the living room first."

Alex stepped back, letting Mulder push the door open and enter. Scully followed, and he waited to be waved in. When Scully signaled him, he entered. Taking a quick look around, he quickly motioned the agents back into the hall.

"The curtains to the right are closed," he said in a low voice. "I left them open a bit before we left."

"Stay here," Mulder said, and he and Scully prepared to go back in. Alex stopped him with a hand around his arm.

"No. I'm going with you."

"You're not armed."

"Give me your other gun."

"No."

"We don't have time for this," Scully whispered. "Krycek, stay your ass here."

"You need me in there."

Green eyes locked with hazel, and a brief silence followed before Mulder reached down to release his personal weapon from his ankle holster.

"Mulder!"

"We'll argue later."

"Alex, what are you doing?" Tim asked, shocked that he even knew how to handle a gun.

"Later," was all Alex said before going in.

"Go to your neighbor's apartment and stay there," Mulder whispered, entering the room at the same time.

Jaw gone slack, Tim watched the three disappear into the dark apartment. Anxiously, he listened but he heard nothing. Not a sound came from inside, and his heart pounded as he waited.

Inside the apartment, the trio moved stealthily, searching for intruders. When they'd cleared the living room, Mulder waved Scully and Alex toward the entrance of one of the two bedrooms. Signaling for Alex to remain where he was, he motioned for Scully to follow him into the bedroom.

While he kept the outside covered, Alex scanned the darkness, stopping cold when he heard a faint sound come from inside the master bedroom. Raising Mulder's weapon, he crept toward the room and flattened himself against the wall. He listened intently and soon enough, he heard a barely audible voice, whispering.

Son of a bitch.

Glancing toward the other room, he debated with himself.

Wait for Fox and Scully or run the risk of the fuckers escaping out the bedroom window?

On the eleventh floor?

Why the hell not? They'd clearly made it into the apartment through a window.

He wondered fleetingly how many dead agents they were going to find once they got outside...

"Clear," Mulder whispered to Scully, and the pair silently re-entered the living room to find Alex waving to them from outside the other bedroom.

He pointed to the room and nodded as Mulder and Scully approached, and the two assumed standard position.

"F.B.I.," Mulder called, his voice rumbling with authority. "Drop your weapons and come out with your hands above your head."

As they waited, Scully called down quickly for backup.

"There's no way out," Mulder called. "All exits are blocked. Make this easier on yourself and come out!"

Still in the hall, Tim hit the floor as sudden gunfire erupted.

"God," he gasped. "Oh, my God."

He felt the floor begin to shake, and he looked up in time to find half a dozen agents thundering down the hall. One dropped back, dragging him to his feet and hustling him away as the other five burst into the apartment.

"No! No!" Tim yelled as he was pulled farther and farther away from the scene. "I can't leave! Alex is in there!"

"You let us take care of it," the agent said, trying to calm him.

"But there were shots! He could be hurt!"

"We need to secure the area, sir, and we can't do that effectively with civilians in the way. Now, please, just try to remain calm and let our agents take care of this."

Burying his face in his hands, Tim leaned heavily against the wall, praying that none of those fired bullets had found his lover.

***

"Take it easy, Mulder. The medics are on their way."

Mulder winced at the sharp pain in his forehead but did his best to obey his partner's instructions. He squinted up into the face of the man in whose arms he lay, and Alex gave him a tight smile as Scully held a towel to his wound.

"You're lucky it was just a graze," Alex said softly. "It could have been a lot worse."

"You okay?" Mulder asked, ignoring Alex's words.

"Thanks to you."

Mulder forced himself to look away from the hypnotic stare, and he watched as two of the four suspects were taken out in bags, one on a stretcher, and the other in cuffs.

"You still got it," he murmured to the younger man.

"'Course I do," Alex said confidently. "What, you thought all this soft living had dulled my edges?"

Both men chuckled softly, and that was what met Tim's eyes when he was finally allowed to rush into the apartment.

Following the medics, he stopped short, staring down at the scene in the middle of his living room.

Alex, thankfully unhurt, sitting on the floor with his injured ex-lover in his arms, and they were laughing.

Laughing?

"Is he hurt bad?"

Tim's voice drew everyone's attention, and Mulder struggled to sit up.

"Whoa. Whoa, there," one of the medics said, dropping to his knees and easing Mulder down to the pillow that Scully had just snatched off of the sofa and placed on the floor.

"Bullet grazed his forehead," Alex said softly, slowly rising to his feet.

"You're okay?" Tim asked, looking Alex over.

"Fine. I wouldn't have been, though, if Fox hadn't tackled me when he did."

"Is that how he got hurt?"

"Yeah."

Tim pulled Alex into a tight embrace. "Guess I owe him." Releasing Alex, he stepped over to Mulder, who was in the process of being cleaned up.

"Thank you."

"What for?" Mulder asked, breathing in sharply as the medic dabbed at his wound with antiseptic.

"For getting in the way of that bullet. If you hadn't, I might not have him now."

Mulder met Alex's eyes briefly, then he looked to Tim and merely nodded.

"We want to take you to the hospital, Agent Mulder," the medic treating him said. "You need to get checked out by a doctor."

"My partner's a doctor," Mulder said, hoping against hope that the medic would back off.

"Forget it, Mulder," Scully said, not helping him at all. "You're going to the hospital."

"I don't need to go," Mulder argued.

"Mulder..."

"Scully..."

Without realizing that she'd done it, Scully looked up to Alex for help.

Gingerly stepping past Tim, Alex lowered himself into a squatting position and stared down at the peeved agent.

"Fox, go to the hospital. If it's as minor as you say, you'll be treated and released. But you gotta let a doctor make that call."

"But..."

"No buts. Go."

Tim watched as Mulder gave in and let the medics load him onto a stretcher.

"Thanks," Scully said to Alex as he watched Fox being wheeled away. "You know what a pain in the ass he is about going to the hospital."

"I remember," Alex said, still looking at the now empty doorway. "Uh...would you let me know how he is?"

Scully risked a glance at Tim then looked back at Alex. "Sure. You try to get some rest."

After Scully departed, Time took Alex's arm and led him away from the noise of the still bustling room.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah," Alex answered. "I'm sure."

"So," Tim breathed softly. "I guess he was right." He looked around at all the personnel. "This is like something out of a movie."

Alex nodded and said nothing.

"You seem pretty unfazed by it."

"Hmm?"

"I'm pretty freaked out by all of this, but it doesn't seem like anything really new to you. You wanna tell me about it?"

Alex drew a deep breath and let it out.

"I used to be an F.B.I. agent."

"You... really?"

Another nod.

"That where you met them?" Tim asked, referring to Mulder and Scully.

"Yeah. Fox and I were...we were partners for a little while."

"What happened? Why aren't you with the Bureau anymore?"

"That's a very long, very confusing, very complicated story."

"You know I've never pushed you to tell me anything about your past," Tim said, "and I'm not going to start now. If you don't want to talk about this, you tell me."

Hands on his hips, eyes cast downward, Alex heaved a deep sigh.

"No, I...I think it's time you knew everything."

Several hours later, everyone was gone, everything was as clean as it could be, and Alex and Tim sat together on the sofa in silence.

Tim stared down at his folded hands, trying to take it all in.

"So...this alien stuff he was saying earlier is...true?"

"I know how outrageous it sounds," Alex said. "But I'm one of the few people still alive who's in a position to know."

"Is this what brought you and him together?"

"I...I guess. Not even Scully believes completely. Not even after all she's seen. She's too rigid in her scientific beliefs. I'm the only one who knew that Fox wasn't the crackpot everyone else thought he was."

"Those had to be some pretty intense feelings," Tim observed, "for him not to let the fact that you killed his father get in the way of them."

"Nothing was as it seemed," Alex croaked. "And Fox knew that. But...be that as it may, there was still so much there yet between us. It was too much to overcome. We couldn't stop fighting. About big things, about little things. Didn't matter. The fights were pretty spectacular."

"And you were together how long? I know you had told me that night of the show, but I forgot."

"Seven months."

"Seems like an awful long time to be so miserable."

"It wasn't all misery," Alex whispered. "When it was good, it was... good. But when it was bad..."

"What about it was good?"

Alex bowed his head and closed his eyes. It was his choice to talk about this. Tim told him he didn't have to, but...

"He felt like my other half. For years I felt like part of me was missing. When Fox and I finally got together, I...I felt whole. We completed each other's thoughts, we...we understood each other. We were both driven and arrogant and stubborn." He stopped, smiling sadly. "I guess we were too much alike...I don't know."

Tim sat quietly for a while longer, then he made himself speak.

"Anyone with a pulse can see the sparks flying between you. And you both looked very natural together on the floor here earlier. Not stiff or uncomfortable or anything...are you sure there's nothing left?"

"When two people have a relationship as intense as the one I had with Fox, it takes quite a while to make sure all the flames are out, I guess. But we made our decisions. There'll be no...no going back. For either of us."

"You just..." Tim started then stopped to breathe. "You seemed so concerned about him."

"Of course I was. I'll always care about Fox. That doesn't just turn off when a relationship goes south. Unless you break up hating each other, I guess. Which we didn't. And besides...he did save my life. Both our lives, actually."

"Yes, he did." Tim looked up at Alex. "I'm sorry I don't sound more grateful, I...I guess I could send flowers."

Alex might have smiled at that comment had it not been part of this particular conversation.

"I'd like to check on him tomorrow. If that bothers you, I..."

"No," Tim said. "No, you go ahead. I understand."

"Are you sure? I don't want you feeling slighted or upset or..."

"I'll be fine," Tim assured the other man, smiling. "I'm secure enough to withstand the occasional casual encounter between you and your ex." He moved closer and slipped his arms around Alex. "Not that this is anywhere near casual, but...the long and the short of it is, it's me you're with." He leaned in for a tender kiss. "And that's all that matters to me. Now. I'm exhausted. How 'bout you?"

Alex nodded.

"Then let's go try to get some sleep."

"I can't believe you can just set aside everything I've just told you about myself."

"It's past history. Disturbing, yes. Absolutely. But in the past. And I refuse to let anything in your past come between us."

Both men rose from the sofa, and Tim took Alex's hand, leading him into the bedroom.

***

"You see? It's a good thing you came."

Mulder shot Scully a dirty look and sank down on his pillows.

"Mulder, a concussion is no joke. You need to be here where they can keep an eye on you, at least for a day."

"Whatever."

Scully pulled up a chair and sat down.

"I know how tough it must be for you. Seeing Alex with someone else."

"Foster's good for him. He's much better off."

"You keep saying that. Who're you trying to convince? Me, or yourself?"

"What do you suggest I do, Scully? Hogtie and gag him, throw him over my shoulder and carry him out of there? Keep him prisoner in some secret place until I convince him that we'd made a mistake the day we decided to go our separate ways?"

"Do it any way you like but uh...what makes you think he needs all that much convincing?"

Mulder stared in silence.

"It's getting late." Scully rose from her chair, looking at her watch. "I'm beat. I'll be back tomorrow." She brushed some of the hair away from Mulder's bandage. "You get some rest."

Once Scully was gone, Mulder sat alone in the silence of his hospital room, staring at nothing. And thinking.

***

"Scully."

"It's Alex."

"Hello, Krycek. You're up early."

"Couldn't sleep. How's Fox?"

"I was going to wait a while then call you. They kept him at the hospital."

Alex's heart raced. "Why?"

"He had a concussion. They wanted to watch him for a day. He'll probably be released later this afternoon."

Alex let out a hard breath. "He could've been killed."

"...Yes. He could've." She paused a long while then continued. "How would you have felt?"

"What?"

"How would you have felt if Mulder had died? And don't give me any bullshit answer. I want to know how you'd feel in your heart. Way down deep in the place where you still love him."

"Scully..."

"I know that this Tim has been good to you. I know you care about him. But you don't love him...do you?"

Silence.

"You don't have to say it. I have my answer. Are you going to go see Mulder?"

"I...I should, but..."

"Damn right, you should. He saved your ass."

"I'll be there in a little while."

"See you then."

Alex hung up and dropped his head into his hands. He had no idea how long he sat that way, but it was Tim's presence in the room that drew his attention.

"You okay, babe?"

"Yeah, I...just tired still, I guess."

"Why don't you go back to bed?"

"No, I...I'll be all right. I uh...I talked to Scully."

"...Oh. How's Fox?"

"He's got a concussion. He's still in the hospital."

"Wow...you're gonna go see him, right?"

"Yeah, I...you sure you don't mind?"

"No." Tim patted Alex's hand. "Of course not."

"You want to come with me?"

Tim smiled at the other. "You don't need me as a chaperone."

"No, but..."

"Go on, Alex. I promise I won't fall apart while you're gone, and I won't start thinking all sorts of wild things."

"I don't know of anyone who would be so understanding," Alex said in genuine wonderment. "Are you sure you're human?"

Tim laughed and shooed him away.

"Go. Get out of here before I change my mind."

When Alex had left, Tim got up and walked over to the window, staring down at the tops of the sun-drenched trees in front of the building.

You did good. Jealousy is a very bad thing. It can't bring anything but trouble. You trusted him, and he appreciates that. He appreciates you.

His conviction firmly in place, he returned to the sofa and kicked back with the remote to see what was on TV.

***

"The doctor said not until later this afternoon."

"But I feel fine," Mulder argued. "Except for this damned headache."

"Mulder, just shut up, relax, and you'll be out of here in no time."

"No time for you. I..."

Mulder stopped in mid-rant as a presence in the doorway drew his attention.

"Thank God," Scully said, getting up and walking toward the door. "Krycek, you deal with him for a while. I'm going to go get some coffee." She turned to Mulder. "And something for my headache."

Both men watched Scully stomp out then turned their attention to each other.

"What're you doing here?"

Alex stepped into the room and stopped a few feet from the bed.

"I came to see how you were."

"How'd you know I was in the hospital?"

"I talked to Scully this morning."

"Oh." Mulder looked past Alex. "No Tim?"

"No."

"He let you come alone?"

"I'm not a prisoner," Alex said mildly.

"No. Sorry, I...I just caught the look on his face last night when he walked into the apartment. I just didn't think he'd trust me."

"He trusts me."

Mulder nodded and lowered his gaze.

"How's your head?"

"Got a bitch of a headache."

"Haven't they given you anything?"

"Mmm hmm. Hasn't done a damn thing so far." Mulder lifted his eyes to the other man then looked at Scully's abandoned chair. "You wanna sit down? Or can't you stay that long?"

"N-no, I can..." Alex pulled the chair a little closer and took a seat.

"So...Tim seems like a nice guy. Where'd you meet him?"

"This is gonna sound corny but...the market."

Mulder lifted his eyebrows, winced at the pain that caused, then let them drop back into place.

"Reaching for the same head of lettuce?"

"No," Alex smiled briefly, then it was gone. "In the parking lot. We were leaving at the same time, and he backed into me. There wasn't too much damage to either car, but we exchanged information, and...a couple of weeks later, we were on a date."

Mulder nodded.

"He is a nice guy, Fox. Patient, understanding, sweet..."

"Everything I wasn't," Mulder murmured. "Good. That's...that's good. And it was your...anniversary this weekend?"

"T..tomorrow, actually."

"Sorry about your gift."

Alex cocked his head.

"The painting. I heard he bought it for you for your anniversary."

"Yeah." Alex shrugged. "What're you gonna do, right? At least all the devices were rounded up...do you know what they're gonna do with them?"

"The man who gave me the information was very adamant about them being destroyed. But I doubt that's going to happen. If anything, they'll be taken apart and studied."

"Fox, as long as they exist..."

"I know. By the way, none of those men had implants in their necks."

Alex's brow creased. "Great. A new group?"

"Don't know." Mulder closed his eyes and rubbed his temples. "Guess it'll give Scully and me something to do, huh? Things have been pretty slow since the Consortium went down."

"Headache worse?" Alex asked softly.

"Little bit."

"Stop talking," Alex instructed. "That's probably not helping."

"You're taking time out of your day to visit me, and we're just going to sit here in silence?"

"Nothing wrong with being quiet sometimes."

Golden-brown lashes lifted halfway, and the two men stared at each for longer than most people would have been comfortable with. When Mulder's eyes closed again and he winced, Alex slowly got up from his chair and walked to the bed.

Mulder's eyes snapped open as warm fingers brushed his forehead.

"Close your eyes," Alex commanded softly, gently massaging his temples.

Taking a shaky breath, Mulder did as the other man had asked, and a short time later, he sighed with relief.

"Better?"

"A little," Mulder whispered and opened his eyes part way. "Thank you."

"It's the least I can do," Alex offered, "after you saved my ass last night," he concluded, quoting Scully's words.

Alex continued to soothe Mulder's headache, and soon enough, Mulder was asleep.

Continuing to stroke the other man, Alex let himself imagine that this was natural. That there was no one else but them. And when Fox left the hospital this afternoon, they'd be going home together. Alex would put him to bed and take care of him, and later that night, he'd crawl under the covers beside Fox, and they'd fall asleep in each other's arms.

And...and...

He closed his eyes and forced himself to draw his hand away. As he did so, he heard the click of Scully's heels on the tiled floor. "He's asleep?" she asked, peering at her partner around Alex. "How the hell'd you do that?"

Alex shook his head and backed away, rubbing his hands together. "I don't...uh...tell him I had to go. And..." He didn't complete the sentence. Instead, he turned and fled the room, leaving Scully surer than ever that somehow, some way, this emotional mess had to get resolved.

***

"Hey! I didn't expect you back so soon." Tim stood up and wrapped his arms around his newly returned lover. "That was a short visit."

"He fell asleep. There wasn't any sense in staying after that."

"Ah. Well. It's lunchtime. Want something?"

"Umm..." Alex moved his hand up and down his torso, squinting. "Not...not right now, 'kay?"

"Okay."

Alex looked at the television. "What's on?"

Tim smirked. "Top Gun."

Alex groaned. "How many times does that make?"

"You know many times Bravo airs a movie in a month."

Alex rolled his eyes.

"There's nothing else on," Tim explained. "Besides...who could get tired of that scene where Tom cruise is standing in his tighty whities in front of that mirror?"

Alex smiled and followed Tim's lead, dropping down onto the sofa, his back to the other man's front.

"So, how was he?"

"...He's got a pretty good headache going, but that's about it. They're more than likely going to let him go home later this afternoon."

"Good. Is...is that it?"

"What d'you mean?"

Tim shrugged. "You gonna visit him again?"

Alex's mouth opened and closed several times before he answered.

"I...I hadn't planned on it, no."

"So, I guess that's it until the next alien painting exhibit?"

Tim's words were delivered lightly, but the heaviness of their meaning closed in around Alex like a tomb.

He wouldn't see Fox any more.

No more.

Not any more.

"Where are you going?"

Tim watched as Alex pushed himself out of his embrace and headed out of the room.

"Don't feel well," Alex breathed, disappearing from his sight.

Tim leapt up and followed Alex, stopping at the closed bathroom door.

"Alex..." he knocked then tried the knob when he heard Alex start to retch. The door was locked. "God. Alex, love...are you all right?"

Several minutes passed before the door unlocked and a glassy-eyed Alex exited.

"Oh my God, Alex...what happened? Did it come on you all of a sudden?"

"My uh...my stomach wasn't quite right when I walked in, then it just got worse."

"Okay, come on. I want you to get into bed."

Tim started to unbutton his shirt, and Alex backed away, clutching the shirt to himself.

"No. N-no, I'm...cold."

"All right. Let's just get your shoes off, then you can get under the covers."

Quickly removing Alex's shoes, Tim pulled the covers back and helped him into bed.

"You want anything, babe?" he asked, stroking the ill man's head. "Some tea or anything?"

Grimacing at the thought, Alex shook his head and burrowed into the blankets.

"All right. I'll leave you alone, unless there's anything you want. Anything at all?"

Another shake of the sable head, and Tim straightened up.

"Okay. Call if you need me."

Backing out of the room, he closed the door only part way and stood there in front of bedroom for a while before picking up the phone and walking into the kitchen.

***

"Hello?"

"Hello, I...I'm sorry, I think I might have the wrong number."

Scully recognized the voice.

"Mr. Foster?"

"Yes. Agent Scully?"

"Yes. What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to speak to your partner."

"I've got his phone with me. If I left it in his room, he'd be trying to work."

"I see. Are you anywhere near him?"

"No, I'm not. He's actually asleep right now, so I took the opportunity to get some air. May I ask what you want to talk to him about? Maybe I can help you."

"...Alex is sick."

"What? Sick? He was fine when he left here," she said, not telling the whole truth.

"Yeah, well...he came in not looking entirely well, but soon after, he was in the bathroom, throwing up. He's in bed now with chills and no desire to speak."

Scully closed her eyes.

"Do you know if anything went on at the hospital? Was their conversation upsetting to Alex in any way?"

"No, I don't believe so."

"You don't know for sure?"

"I wasn't in the room the whole time."

"So, something could have been said to upset him."

"There's always a possibility, but I really don't believe that happened. Mulder wouldn't have been relaxed enough to fall asleep if they'd had any kind of altercation."

"No, I...I suppose you're right. But it's so strange that he got sick all of a sudden."

"Could just be that the he's coming down off of that adrenalin high from yesterday. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it goes on for a few days."

"That's right, you are a doctor, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"All right, I feel a little better then. Thank you."

"Not a problem...goodbye."

Scully hung up and stood in the middle of the parking lot, tapping the phone against her leg then wheeled around and headed into the hospital.

***

Mulder's eyes opened, and he looked around the room.

What happened? Where was Alex?

Closing his eyes again, he pulled himself up against the pillows and groaned as the pain returned. He felt someone enter the room, and before he completely opened his eyes, Alex's name fell from his lips.

"Sorry. Just me."

Mulder's lashes lifted completely, then he looked away.

"He left after you fell asleep."

Mulder's head drooped.

"He seemed a little disturbed."

"I didn't say anything to upset him."

"I didn't think you had. But he was standing over you. I walked in just as he was removing his hand from your head."

"Headache...my head was pounding, and...he...rubbed my temples, and I fell asleep."

"Tim called your phone."

"What for?"

"He said Alex went home sick, and he wanted to know if you two had had a fight or anything."

"He's sick?"

"Bit of a stomach thing. He'll be fine. I just think he's coming down after all the excitement. And maybe..."

"Maybe what?"

"Did you agree to see each other again?"

"...No."

"Like I said, he looked kind of upset when he left here...Mulder, I think he's getting confused."

Mulder looked up at her.

"You haven't seen each other for a very long time. Then all of a sudden, there you are, you're thrown into a dangerous situation together, he comes to visit you, you have this..." She waved her hand back and forth in front of him. "...tender moment between you, or whatever it was, and then he leaves, probably tortured by the thought that this was the last time you'd see each other. He's torn up."

"You...you think he's feeling something for me again?"

"He never stopped, just like you never have. But now there's this man who's been so good to him, who he genuinely cares about, and he doesn't know what to do. He wants to be with you...he'd come back in a second if you asked him to, but how can he possibly break Tim's heart?" Scully dropped into the chair. "I know that'd make me sick."

Hands clenched in his hair, Mulder said nothing.

"You two need to talk. I mean really talk. You need to do something about this before one or both of you loses your mind."

"I can't do that to him," Mulder whispered.

"Do what to him?"

"Ask him to leave a wonderful relationship to come back to...what we had."

"Why does it have to be the same? Keep the things that worked, and chuck the rest. Start over. You love each other, Mulder. And that's the one thing...the most important thing that's missing from his relationship with Tim."

"Tim loves him."

"It's gotta be a two way street. And it's not."

"We don't know that."

"We do. Call him tomorrow and ask to see him."

Mulder lay there, teeth clenched against the pain in his head and his heart.

"I can't. I can't, Scully."

Scully looked up, sucking on her upper lip before sighing loudly.

"Okay. All right. Fine. You're right. You can't. You can't fix this so that you can finally be with the one man in the world you're ever gonna want. My mistake. Forget I said anything."

"We got over each other once," Mulder whispered. "We'll do it again."

"Uh huh. You will." Scully got up. "Excuse me, would you? I was just starting to go for a walk when Tim called. I'd like to do that now. I really need some air."

Mulder watched as Scully left the room, then he slouched down to the mattress, still clutching at his hair and whimpering softly.

***

"Morning, babe. How're you feeling today?" Tim entered the room and carefully sat on the edge of the bed.

"A little better," Alex whispered, eyes averted. "Morning?"

"You slept all day and all night. I came in a few times just to make sure you were still breathing."

"Sorry."

"For what? For being sick? Don't be silly." Tim caressed the other man's head. "I'm gonna stay home today. Make sure you're all right."

"No. Don't. I'm fine."

"I want to. Besides, today's our anniversary. And this gives me an excuse to stay home with you."

Alex said nothing.

"So. What d'you want for breakfast? Eggs? Pancakes?"

The thought made Alex's stomach turn.

"No. Nothing."

"You gotta eat, love. You haven't had anything since yesterday morning."

"I know, but..." Alex looked up into worried eyes. "Just...some toast, maybe?"

The request made Tim smile.

"You got it."

While Tim was gone, the phone rang, and he yelled from the kitchen that he had it. Twenty minutes later, he re-entered the room with a tray. Setting it down over Alex's legs, he lifted a slice of toast to the other man's mouth.

"Take a bite."

Alex nibbled at the toast then asked who had called.

"Will."

"Oh. What'd he want?"

"Some stuff about the steel supplier on the Holmes tower job."

"What about?"

"They're trying to renege on the deal they made with us for the girders."

"Jeez. Tim...go take care of it."

"I'm gonna call later."

"No. You need to see that jerk. That's a damn big job. He can't be screwing around with that."

"I don't want to leave you."

"Thank you. You're very sweet, but I'm all right. Go take care of business."

Tim stared uncertainly. "Are...are you sure?"

"Positive. Go."

"All right, but I'll be back as soon as I can." Tim kissed the top of Alex's head. "You call me if you need me, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you, babe."

Ten minutes later, he was gone, and Alex pushed the tray away. Lying back, he closed his eyes and let himself mourn for the second time, the loss of the only man he'd ever love. When the phone rang half an hour later, he almost didn't answer it. But on the fourth ring, something told him to pick it up.

"...Hello?"

"Krycek. It's Scully."

The urgency in her voice snapped him into a sitting position.

"What?"

"It's Mulder. I'm sorry, I know I probably shouldn't call you, but..."

"What is it? Is he all right?"

"No. He isn't. He needs to go back to the hospital, but he absolutely refuses. I need your help."

"What...what can I do?"

"You can get him there. I know he'll listen to you, just like he did the other night."

"I...I'll talk to him if you think it'll help. Give him the phone."

"No. Not on the phone. You need to come and holler at him in person. I know that'll work."

"I..." Alex looked around. "Uh... all right. All right, I'll be there in a little while."

Throwing the phone down, Alex tossed the blankets aside and jumped out of bed. He pulled a few drawers open and, yanking out some clothing, he rushed into the bathroom.

***

"So, how're you doing today?"

Mulder turned and walked back into the living room, leaving Scully at his front door.

"Okay. Headache's just about gone."

"That's good. Maybe you'll be ready to come back to work in a couple of days."

"I could've come back today."

"Forget it." Scully looked at her watch and followed Mulder into the room. "Want some breakfast?" She looked again at her watch. "...Brunch?"

"I already ate."

"Liar."

Mulder shrugged, not bothering to deny it.

"You gotta eat something."

"Did you come here to harass me?"

"I wouldn't have to if you would eat."

"I will, when I'm hungry."

"Fine. So...did you sleep well?"

"Like the dead."

"Another lie?"

"Scully..." Mulder stopped, watching his partner. "Why do you keep looking at your watch?"

"Am I?" Scully asked innocently. "No reason."

"Now who's the liar? Do you have to be somewhere soon?"

Scully sighed. "Yeah, I... I sorta made a lunch date."

"A what? With who?"

She thought quickly. "Same person I had plans with a few weeks ago."

That, he bought.

"Really? Wow. Will I get to meet him before the wedding?"

"Shut up, Mulder."

"I'm serious. You don't have a date for years, and now you've been out twice with the same guy in a few weeks time, and I don't even know his name."

"And you think this is your business, how?"

"We're best friends. Best friends get in each other's business."

The knock at the door interrupted the conversation.

"Remember you said that," Scully murmured as she got up to answer it.

Mulder's confusion cleared the moment Scully opened the door and stepped aside.

"He's in there," she said to Alex, who strode into the room, looking very anxious.

"How is he?" He turned to Fox. "How are you? Never mind. You're going to the hospital. Now."

"Whaa?"

Scully inched toward the door but didn't make it out before Mulder shouted her name.

"Scully, what did you do?"

"Me? Nothing."

"Like hell. Why is Alex here, and why does he think I need to go to the hospital?"

Alex looked from Mulder to Scully and back again. "You don't?"

"No. I don't. Scully?"

The redhead put her hands on her hips and lifted her chin in a defiant gesture.

"You two need to talk. I'm merely...facilitating that."

"Oh, God," Mulder groaned. "Alex, I'm...I'm sorry. I...this wasn't my idea, I swear. This is apparently some scheme Scully cooked up in her head..."

Scully crossed her arms across her chest and glared at Mulder.

"Oh. S-so you're okay?"

"...Yes."

"All...all right, then. I'm gonna go."

"Touch that doorknob, Krycek, and I'll break your fingers."

"Scully."

"I've had it, Mulder," Scully grated, storming up to her partner and getting directly in his face. "I understand that this isn't an easy situation to remedy. I understand about pride and guilt and fear, and... and... loyalty. But I also understand about love. Friggin' love, you jackasses!" She spun around to yell at Alex. "Talk about this! And you'd better not leave until you come to a resolution."

Both men watched Scully storm out and jumped as the door slammed behind her. Several seconds went by before Alex turned around to face Fox.

"You think she's serious about breaking my fingers?"

"...Probably."

"Maybe I'd better stay a while, then."

"Yeah. Maybe."

Slowly, Alex advanced and took a seat in the chair across from the sofa. He glanced around, trying to keep from looking into the eyes he knew were staring at him.

"Apologize to Tim for me," Mulder said. "I really didn't know...Scully's got these wild ideas in her head, and..." He sighed. "She is right about something, though."

Alex frowned and finally looked at Mulder.

"'Bout what?"

"The past few weeks have been very...awkward. Hard."

Alex nodded in agreement.

"Our relationship was...turbulent," Mulder said. "Almost violent at times, and that wasn't...it wasn't very healthy. You've got a good man, now. Someone who can be everything to you that you deserve. I'm..." He fought to say the words without his voice cracking. "...glad for you."

"Thanks," Alex said almost inaudibly. "What about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah," Alex said, playing with the zipper on his jacket. "Have you had any...relationships?"

Mulder laughed softly.

"Is that funny?"

Still smiling, Mulder shrugged. "No, I...I suppose it isn't. No. I've had no relationships with anyone since...since we..."

Alex looked down and said nothing.

"Scully said you were sick yesterday."

"How'd she know?"

Shit.

"Umm..."

"Fox? How'd she know?"

"Tim called my phone."

"...When?"

"A little while after you got home, I guess. He was worried about you. He thought maybe I could shed some light on your sudden illness, since it happened after you had just come from seeing me. Scully had my phone, and she's the one who answered."

"I see."

"So, what was wrong? You seemed okay at the hospital."

"I don't know." Alex avoided Mulder's eyes. "It just hit me. All of a sudden. I felt queasy and lightheaded and very rundown."

"You're all right now?" Mulder asked, concerned.

"I...I'm better."

"Good."

"How's your head?"

"Still in some pain, but better than yesterday. Sorry, by the way, that I fell asleep on you. Guess you haven't lost your touch." Mulder smiled wistfully. "Remember when I used to come home after a really long day, and you'd give me one of those massages?" He snorted softly. "Put me right out."

"Yep." Alex returned the smile. "You were pretty good at it, too. In fact, I was thinking about it the other day."

"...You were?"

"Oh. Well...I...Tim had done an in-room spa treatment type thing for us, and I was having a deep tissue massage and..." He let his words trail off.

"An expensive painting, weekend away...a lot of pampering..." Mulder mused, the jealousy he held in check slipping another notch. "The man's a treasure. Speaking of which...didn't you say today was your anniversary?"

"Umm...yeah."

"Well...don't you think you should be spending it with Prince Charming? I'm sure he'd appreciate that."

Alex ignored the comment. "He did intend to stay home today, but there was an emergency at work. He had to go in."

"Oh. What's he do, anyway?"

"He's an architect. Owns his own building construction company."

"Really."

"Yeah. Kind of an interesting business."

"Wonderful, thoughtful, patient, understanding and fascinating. Better hold onto that one."

"I'm detecting a little sarcasm there, Fox."

"No. It's just...wow. Y'know? I don't think there are many men like that around. You're damn lucky to have ended up with someone so special. Hey...he got a brother?"

Alex stared for a moment then stood up.

"I think it's time for me to go."

"Oh. All right, then," Mulder said blandly. Thanks for coming by."

Alex felt his lower lip begin to quiver, and he firmed it as best he could before speaking.

".........Goodbye, Fox."

Mulder watched Alex walk out of the living room then turned his head not wanting to see him pass through the door. He heard the soft click of the latch being closed, and he squeezed his eyes shut, falling over onto the sofa. Wrapping his arms around himself, he curled into a ball and let the misery take him.

Two hours later, Scully let herself in and approached the lump on the sofa.

"Why didn't you answer when I knocked?"

No reply.

"Mulder..." Scully sat on the edge of the couch. "God. I take it things didn't go well?"

"They went fine. Alex is back with Prince Tim, and Mulder the ogre is back in his cave."

"Care to explain that remark?"

"Not especially."

"Mulder, did you scare him off?"

"I don't scare Alex."

"You know what I mean."

"I sent him back to where he belongs."

"If he was where he belonged, he'd be here."

"No. You're right, thought. I think he was confused. I did that to him. And I couldn't be more sorry for it."

"So, what did you do?"

"I fixed it."

"You...what does that mean?"

"Just that," Mulder whispered then turned away from Scully.

"It's fixed."

***

Tim entered the apartment quietly, in case Alex was sleeping, and he tip-toed into the bedroom. The bed was empty, and he found three drawers partially open. Frowning, he checked the bathroom.

"Where the heck is he?"

Walking back into the living room, he called the other man's name.

"Alex?" He walked toward the kitchen. "Babe, are you here?"

When he received no answer, he picked up the phone and dialed Alex's cell number. The phone rang four times then went to voicemail.

"Alex? It's me. Where are you, love? I came home, and you're not here. Call me as soon as you get this."

Concerned but not frantic just yet, Tim sat down to wait.

***

Mulder shuffled into the bedroom, turning on the bedside lamp. The sudden flood of light closed his eyes for a moment, then he turned toward the closet and dug past the sweaters on the shelf, pulling out a shoe box. He lifted one of the white New Balance sneakers out and withdrew the tape underneath. Returning the sneaker, he dropped the box onto the bed and stood there, fingering the tape gently. He sighed softly, trying to talk himself into putting it back, but the sadistic side of him walked him out of the room and over to the VCR. Hand shaking, he put the tape in and turned the television on. Pressing play on the remote, he sank down on the sofa and watched himself walk into the shot as Alex reclined on the bed, rubbing himself through his pants.

"Took you long enough."

He heard himself snicker.

"God, I can't believe we're doing this."

"Just shut up and get over here."

"Yes, sir."

"Take of your clothes."

Mulder's heart pounded as he watched his image undress then stand naked and fully erect by the side of the bed.

Alex reached over and stroked him gently then shifted onto his back, his head toward Mulder, and he opened his mouth. Groaning, Mulder pushed forward, guiding his cock inside, and Alex swallowed his entire length.

"God...ah, fuck." Mulder swayed, trying to keep himself upright as Alex sucked him hungrily.

"Damn, baby, I love your mouth," he gasped, curling his fingers in Alex's hair. "More...oh, God...that's it...suck me harder. Mmhhh...AHHH!"

Alex pulled away to a round of frustrated curses and rose to his knees.

"Undress me, and I'll fuck you," he breathed, needing to say no more than that to get Mulder to begin ripping at his clothing. In seconds he was naked, and he pulled Mulder down on the bed, flipping him onto his stomach. Pulling Mulder up onto his knees, he smacked one ass cheek hard, the sound combining with Mulder's surprised cry, and echoing loudly in the room.

"Don't move."

Alex disappeared from the frame for a few seconds then returned with handcuffs and a tube of lubrication in his hand.

"Grab the headboard."

Obediently, Mulder took hold of the vertical slats, and Alex cuffed one wrist before threading the rest through and cuffing the other wrist.

"I love you like this," Alex whispered, stroking the other man's back and ass. "So pretty."

Mulder jerked sharply, crying out as Alex landed another hard blow on his rear.

"That hurt, baby?" Alex asked, stroking the reddening flesh.

"Yesss," Mulder hissed, rubbing his face against the pillow.

"You like it, don't you?" the younger man asked, smacking him again and drawing a harsh grunt. "Makes your dick hard?"

Mulder nodded.

"Ready to fuck?"

"I've been ready," Mulder whimpered. "Please, Alex. Please..."

Alex swung up onto the bed behind Mulder and lubed his cock generously before teasing the other man's anus with one slick finger. Mulder bucked against the finger, and Alex pulled it away, delivering a hard tap to his ass.

"Don't move."

Mulder's fingers clenched around the wooden slats, and he gritted his teeth as the coated finger eased inside of him. Once he'd sunk it all the way in, Alex withdrew the finger and added a second.

"Nnnnnnnh."

"Like that? Alex asked. Ready for another?"

Mulder nodded, and the younger man smiled.

"Nah. I think two are enough." He leaned over, licking up Mulder's back and then nipping at his ear. "I like you tight."

He guided his cock between the other's clenching cheeks and drove inside. Mulder's head lifted from the pillow, and he emitted a pained sob.

"Yeah," Alex rumbled past gritted teeth as he started to pound into his lover. "Good...that's good." He slapped Mulder's ass again. "Come on..." And again. "Come on!"

Mulder wailed as Alex thrashed against him, and when the younger man grasped his cock and began to jerk it, he reared up as far as the cuffs would let him, screaming obscenities. Alex threw his head back then, and released a loud, sobbing groan, taking Mulder with him seconds later.

Both men collapsed to the mattress after that, Alex's exhausted body pinning Mulder beneath him. Long minutes passed, and then Alex lifted his head and tenderly licked away some of the perspiration from Mulder's shoulder.

"Fuckin' animal," Mulder mumbled into the pillow, and Alex laughed softly.

Cock pounding behind his uncomfortably tight jeans, Mulder watched the screen, mesmerized as he and Alex lay quietly for a very long time, the younger man occasionally stroking him and murmuring words too soft to be heard on the tape. Finally, Alex lifted himself and unlocked the cuffs. Mulder then turned onto his back, and Alex lay down again, his body half covering Mulder's, head tucked under Mulder's chin. And there they lay, wrapped around each other, moaning and purring softly until they fell asleep, and the tape ran out.

Mulder picked up the remote and rewound the tape part way, stopping and running it from the part where Alex collapsed onto his back. He watched again as they fell asleep in each other's arms, and this time when the tape stopped, he let it. As it automatically began to rewind, he closed his eyes and shuddered.

***

Tim sat in the darkened room, his hand on the phone.

A few more minutes. Just a few more minutes, then he'd call Fox Mulder.

Damn, how did this happen? Everything had been fine up until just a few weeks ago. They had been happy and fine until they went to that damned show. If they hadn't gone, none of what had happened would have. He and Alex would be here together right now, celebrating their anniversary.

But instead he was...God, Tim didn't know where he was. But he had the sinking feeling that Fox Mulder might know.

He closed his eyes and whimpered softly. He'd been fighting it for days now, but the feeling that he might actually be losing Alex was starting to occupy a larger and larger part of his brain.

He got up, carrying the phone with him and stood in front of the window.

He had to know. If that's what was happening, he had to know.

Just as he'd made the decision to call Mulder, Alex walked in.

Tim's arm swung down to his side, and he stared at the dark figure at the door.

Silence prevailed for long seconds, then he spoke.

"I was worried about you."

"...Sorry. I didn't mean to stay out so long. I just..."

Alex stopped speaking, not knowing what the hell to say.

"Must have been some emergency. You left drawers open in the bedroom...no note or voicemail message to tell me where you were going or how long you'd be gone..."

"I'm sorry," Alex whispered again.

"What happened, Alex?" Tim stepped forward. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Out," Alex answered flatly. "Walking, mostly."

"For all these hours?"

"A lot of them. I..." He lifted his head and faced Tim. It was the least he could do. "I went to Fox's place a little while after you left."

"Did he call you?" Tim asked, showing no surprise.

"No. Scully did."

"Is...is he all right?"

"Yeah, I...I thought he wasn't well, though. That's why I went. Uh...it seemed it was just a ruse on Scully's part to get me over there."

Tim continued to stare. "I see. Well...not really. Why did she do that?"

"She's...convinced that there's some unfinished business between us."

Tim nodded and looked at the floor. "Is there?"

"No. Not any more."

"Do you...mind if I ask what happened?"

"We talked for a short time," Alex explained. "That's all."

"You sure about that?"

It was the first time that Tim had ever shown any doubt.

"Yes."

"And then you left."

"Yes."

"And went for a walk. For hours."

"Yes."

"You have things to think about? Decisions to make?"

Alex opened his mouth but no sound came out. He shook his head and remained silent.

"Are you going back to him?"

"...No."

Another long silence, then Tim cleared his throat.

"Okay."

"Tim..."

"I don't need to know what was said...are you staying with me?"

"...Do you want me to? If I were you, I don't know that I would."

"Good thing I'm me instead of you." Tim moved toward Alex, stopping when he was close enough to put his arms around the somber man. "I want you with me, Alex, as long as I can have you. I love you."

Alex lowered his head. "I wish you wouldn't say that."

"Why?"

"Because it makes me feel like shit."

"Because you can't say it back?"

Alex nodded. Tim slipped his fingers under his chin and lifted his head.

"Maybe someday soon you'll be able to. I'll just wait till then."

"It's not fair," Alex croaked.

"To who?"

"You."

"I'm all right, Alex," Tim promised. "Really. I've known for a long time now that you don't love me. I haven't jumped out the window yet, right?"

"How can you be okay with that?"

"I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to hear you say the words. But I respect the heck out of the fact that you're man enough to be truthful about your feelings."

Alex turned his head and closed his eyes.

"You are being truthful, aren't you?"

Alex turned back to face Tim.

"I'm being completely truthful when I tell you how much I care about you, and that I would never, ever intentionally hurt you."

"All right, then," Tim said, a twinge of sadness in his voice. "What d'you say we stop talking about this now? Let's have a nice anniversary night together."

Alex let Tim lead him into the room and sit him down on the sofa. Turning a lamp on, he kissed Alex's forehead and straightened up.

"I'll be right back."

Bustling away, he entered the kitchen and pulled the refrigerator door open. As he moved this and that around, he squinted hard at the contents of the compartment, trying to see through the haze of his tears.

Finding what he wanted, he prepared a light meal, continuously drying his eyes as he worked, and by the time he was done, he'd managed to pull himself together.

"Hope you're hungry," he called, entering the room with a tray. "I am. I haven't eaten a thing all day."

Alex pulled himself up straight and gave Time a sad smile.

"When'd you find strawberries this big, this time of year?"

"That gourmet place downtown. They've got everything in there. I picked 'em up on my way home." He broke open the bottle of champagne and filled two glasses, handing one to Alex. He stared at the other man for a while then raised his glass.

"Happy anniversary, love."

"Happy anniversary," Alex repeated, and he touched his glass to Tim's.

They ate slowly, drank the entire bottle, and at the end of the evening, they walked hand in hand into the bedroom and made love.

Hours later, with Tim's around wrapped around him, Tim's light snores vibrating against his shoulder, Alex lay on his back, staring into the darkness as tears rolled silently down his cheeks.

***

over three weeks later

"Good morning, agents. Have a seat."

Mulder and Scully sat in their usual spots and waited.

Skinner shuffled the folders on his desk and picked up the one he was looking for.

"It's been several weeks since those devices were removed from the paintings, and no one can identify them. The government has brought in every expert they can think of, and nothing. We need to find out what their origin is. Maybe that will provide some clues."

Mulder shook his head.

"Where do you start when their place of origin is probably very likely not even in our solar system?"

Skinner froze for a second, staring at the agent then continued.

"Talk to the gallery owners again. Find out the names and addresses of all the artists. It's as good a place as any to start."

Mulder sighed softly and stood up.

"Is that all, sir?"

"For now."

Scully stood up and, smoothing her skirt, preceded Mulder out of the office.

"Like he said, Mulder..."

"It's a waste of time," Mulder cut in. "Unless the artists themselves are aliens or have some connection to them." He displayed a wry smile. "Come to think of it, that might explain how that one portrait could look so..." He sighed heavily and strode down the hall toward the elevator. "Let's just go talk to them and get it over with."

***

"Tim. Thank you for making time to see me."

"It's okay, Paul. Just understand that we have to be out of here in half an hour, or we're going to lose our dinner reservations."

"Understood. I know how hard it is to get into Al Tiramisu," Paul turned to Tim's companion and gave him a wide smile. "Hello, Alex. So good to see you again."

"Good to see you, Paul."

"I'm so sorry about your painting."

"Yeah. Me too."

"I don't understand. Did anyone ever find out exactly what was in it and the others? All I heard was some nonsense about some computerized doodads."

Alex said nothing, and Tim jumped in.

"We don't know. I've got a feeling it's some top, top secret stuff."

"Must be...for the government to be crawling all over my gallery and Hunter's."

"Yup. Well anyway...what can I do for you?"

As Tim and Aveson talked business, Alex wandered around the gallery, looking at the new work. There were some lovely paintings, and also a few that made him dizzy to look at, but none to evoke in him the emotions that 'Empty' had.

He sighed and kept looking.

***

The agents entered the building, their heels echoing on the marble floor. A young woman came from a side room and welcomed them, asking if she could be of assistance.

"Yes," Scully said, showing the woman her badge. "Could you tell Mr. Aveson that Agents Mulder and Scully are here to see him?"

"Mr. Aveson is in a meeting right now, but he should be finished shortly. Would you care to wait?"

"How short is shortly?" Mulder asked.

"Ten, fifteen minutes?"

Mulder shrugged. "Sure. We'll just be looking around."

The woman nodded and bustled away, leaving the pair to themselves.

"Okay, Mulder," Scully sighed. "Let's go suck up a little culture, shall we?"

Giving no answer, Mulder turned and followed his partner to the first exhibit.

"What...the... hell is this?" Scully asked, gawking at the abstracts.

Mulder shook his head. "And the thing that kills me about this stuff is, somebody'll walk in here and start spewing all kinds of crap about how they represent man's inhumanity to man, and blah, blah, blah."

Scully chuckled and moved on to the next exhibit.

"Now this I can understand. See? Nice scenery. Flowers and trees and mountains..."

"Alex."

"That's a beautiful...huh?" Scully turned around instantly confirming what she thought she heard.

Twenty feet away, staring at a blank spot on a wall, stood Alex Krycek.

"Ohhhhh," Scully groaned softly. "Mulder..."

Before she could get another word out, Alex turned and froze, his eyes immediately locking with Mulder's.

Scully looked from one man to the other, waiting to see if someone would move or speak. When neither of the men did, she elbowed Mulder in the back, shoving him forward. He stumbled a couple of steps then stopped.

Alex still stood motionless, a wide, frightened stare focused on the other man.

"You two are killing me," she whispered, grabbing Mulder by the arm and hauling him over to where Alex stood. "Look," she said under her breath. "I'm not a big believer in cosmic forces and all that like this one here, but something keeps throwing you two together. Don't you think it's about damn time you gave in to it?"

Stomping away, she left the men alone.

"We do seem to be bumping into each other an awful lot, don't we?" Mulder asked. Alex turned his gaze to the floor and said nothing.

"Sorry, I...I'm waiting to speak to Mr. Aveson. He's in a meeting."

Still, not a sound.

"Alex, I'm...I'm sorry about the way we left things the last time. I was a shit, I know."

"Not very often that you're not a shit."

"Yeah. Well...I guess I deserved that. But, uh..." he gave the younger man a tiny smile. "I did save your ass. That's worth a couple of points, isn't it?"

"...Half a point."

"Guess I gotta take it. Alex, would you look at me at least? It's kinda hard to keep talking to the top of your head."

Slowly, Alex lifted his head and met Mulder's eye.

"I really am sorry, if that means anything to you. I didn't want to end it that way. Guess maybe I was just feeling a little jealous."

It was Alex's turn to stare as Mulder looked down.

"You've got a good life...a good man. You're happy, and..."

Alex stepped forward, closing the distance between them and, placing a hand on either side of Mulder's face, jerked his head up and pulled him into a breath-stealing kiss.

***

"Okay, Paul, I'll get some quick sketches done and send them to you next week."

"Thanks, Tim. I knew I could count on you. Now. Go find your guy and get out of here. You're gonna love Al Tiramisu."

"I'm sure we will. See you soon."

Whistling softly, Tim exited the office and went off in search of his lover.

***

There was no air in the room. No light...all sound ceased to exist. All Mulder could feel was Alex's hands. His mouth. The heat came off of Alex's body in waves, and in that moment, all he wanted to do was fall to his knees and beg Alex to give them another chance.

He would. As soon as Alex let him go, he would.

Alex tipped his head from one side of the other, feeding ravenously on the sinfully lush lips he'd missed so much.

He was drowning. In Mulder's scent, in his taste, and God help him, he never wanted to resurface. But there was all the shit they'd never been able to get past. And there was...Jesus, there was Tim.

Tim.

Tim.

Sweet, unselfish, understanding Tim, who did not deserve to have his heart broken the way Alex would have to do in order to have what he'd never stopped wanting.

Alex pulled away on an anguished whimper, eyes filled with unshed tears.

"Alex..."

"I'm sorry, Fox, I'm...I shouldn't have..."

Shaking his head, Mulder stepped forward to try and touch him, and he recoiled quickly.

"No. I...that was wrong. It was a mistake."

Mulder stood listening, his heart shattering at the words he knew were true.

"I'm sorry," Alex whispered then turned and fled, leaving Mulder alone except for the man standing hidden by a partial wall.

Tim stood quietly for long moments, staring at the spot where Alex had stood only seconds before, passionately kissing Fox Mulder, then he turned and walked away.

***

"...and I told him there was no way I could just plop a second floor onto the existing structure, but...people just don't understand, I guess." Tim walked into the apartment, followed by Alex. Heading for the kitchen, he changed the subject.

"Well, we got plenty of leftovers here. We can get another meal out of it tomorrow."

"Tim."

The barely audible whisper of his name stopped him in his tracks, and he closed his eyes.

"We need to talk."

"Yeah, I figured." Without turning around, Tim lifted the bag. "Let me just stick this in fridge, 'kay?"

Alex stayed put by the door and waited until Tim re-entered the room a few minutes later. Trying his best to smile, he extended an arm, palm upturned. "Go ahead."

"I can't...can't...I..." Alex stopped, gritting his teeth in an effort to control his emotions. "...I can't do this to you any more."

Tim listened.

"I'm...I'm all screwed up, Tim. I'm not...I can't be what you need. I can't be what you deserve. I can't give you a hundred percent of me, and it isn't fair to you."

"As long as it's fifty one percent for me and forty-nine for him, I'm okay with it." Again he tried to smile and it fell flat. "I saw you earlier at the gallery...kissing him."

"...Why didn't you tell me?"

"I saw you walk away. I saw you leave him standing there. It was enough for me."

"It shouldn't be. You deserve more. You deserve better." Alex sighed and looked Tim in the eyes. "I want you to know that that was the first and only time. Nothing at all had happened before this afternoon. And I hadn't intended for anything to happen again. That's one of the reasons I walked away from him."

"Actually, you kinda... ran."

"I was very upset with myself. It never should have happened. But it did. And it drove home the point that I can't mess with your life any more. I have to leave. I'm sorry, Tim. God, you'll never know how sorry."

"So, you're going to be with him?"

"No. None of the crap that was between me and Fox has magically disappeared. We'd wind up right back where we were, and I can't do that. It wasn't good for either of us."

"Maybe," Tim breathed. "...Maybe you can work it out. If you love each other."

"Love isn't everything."

"Love is the only thing. I love you. If you changed your mind ten minutes from now and asked to stay, I'd throw my arms around you and thank God for it."

"Don't say that," Alex moaned. "Don't...you're too good a man to just settle. You deserve to have someone who loves you as much as you love him. I'm just sorry that it can't be me."

Tim looked down at the space between them.

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I have to leave."

"...When?"

"Tonight."

"But..." Tim looked up, worry blending with despair. "Where will you go?"

"I'll stay in a hotel until I find my own place."

"...Let me help you."

"No. I...this needs to be clean. You need to be free of me. Completely."

Tim shook his head. "I...I don't feel that way. I..." His lips trembled, and his eyes filled with tears. "Please don't leave."

Alex's eyes welled up, but he didn't back down.

"I can't stay. Please understand."

"I don't expect you to love me, Alex," Tim persisted. "You know that. And if you're not going back to Fox, why should we both be alone? I know you're hurting. Let me be there for you. You can talk to me. About anything at all. We can...I'll move into the other bedroom and..."

Alex lowered his head and shook as he cried.

Tim began to openly sob as well, stepping forward to wrap his arms around the other man.

"I can't," Alex cried, his arms wrapped around Tim. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

The two men cried in each other's arms, exhaustion stopping them several minutes later. Drying his eyes, Alex moved away and cast a glassy stare at the other man.

"I should pack."

Tim's first thought was to ask if he could help, but he knew that Alex would refuse. He merely stepped back and allowed Alex to leave the room. Dropping heavily onto the sofa, he let the tears fall silently until a long while later, Alex emerged with two suitcases and a shoulder bag. He stood as Alex approached the sofa, and again he attempted a smile.

"It was a good year," he said softly, sniffing. "I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Alex nodded and hesitated before leaning in and depositing a tender kiss on Tim's lips.

"Do something for me."

"Anything."

"Don't mourn too long. I'm not worth it. Your true love is out there. And when you find him, he's gonna be the luckiest man in the world."

Alex backed off a few steps then turned around and walked toward the door. Setting one suitcase down, he opened the door. He didn't hesitate as he picked the suitcase back up and slipped out the door, closing it softly behind him.

***

Mulder lay sprawled on his sofa, speeding through the channels, looking for something mindless to watch. Just as he settled on an old rerun of Mr. Ed on TV Land, his cell phone rang.

Groaning, he looked at his watch and picked the phone up.

"Mulder."

"...It's Tim. I just wanted to let you know that Alex and I aren't together any more."

Mulder sat up, frowning.

"What?"

"He left. He didn't love me. I knew that, but I kept hoping that in time he would. Then he ran into you that night at the gallery. It was all downhill from there."

"Tim, I'm..." Mulder drew a shaky breath. "I never meant for this to happen, I swear. I never wanted it to. You know I thought that Alex was better off with you."

"I know that. You gotta be pretty deeply in love with someone to be able to let them go like that...I love him."

"I know you do."

"But...he loves you."

Mulder said nothing.

"I know where he is. Have you got a pen?"

"Yeah, uh..." Mulder grabbed a pen and, not finding any paper, he began to write on the leg of his jeans as Tim recited the address.

"Go to him. Work things out. Don't waste love, Fox. It's not right."

"I..." Mulder gasped softly. "I don't know what to say to you."

"Say you'll go to him. Say you won't give up, and that'll you'll do everything in the world this time to make him stay."

"I...don't know why he left you," Mulder said, truly amazed. "You're one hell of a good man."

"Not as good as you think," Time droned. "It took me four months to make this phone call."

The connection was broken, leaving Mulder in silence as he stared steadily at his leg.

END?

Aww, you know me better than that!

 

Next

Return to the Fiction Page