The CTY/Hamilton Ten Commandments: THOU SHALT NOT:
- go out of bounds unaccompanied by a staff member.
- be out of the dorm after lights out or before 7:00 AM.
- prop open the outside doors of dormitories.
- engage in any horseplay on the footbridge (including climbing on or throwing anything over the railing) at any time.
- tamper with fire equipment or alarms, or play with fire hazards (matches, lighters, etc.).
- possess or use alchohol, tobacco or drugs.
- enter halls where people of the opposite gender live.
- steal, damage or vandalize the property of any member of the community.
- cheat, lie, or plagiarize.
- bully, haze, or otherwise endager the health, safety or well-being of yourself or any other member of the community.
- remove screens from dormitory windows and/or place any body part outside of any window. (Thanks to John aka Spam)
- Flip Off the Site Director; climb trees; walk on windowledges (as long as you didn't exit through the window)
Joan Laurel Baldridge had a great time at CTY.
Hamilton College, Clinton New York, 1994.2 and 1995.
We the Collective want to return!
The Scenic Hamilton College
campus on a foggy morning, as seen from one end of the
footbridge on Martin'sWay, looking toward the Beineke
complex. (Josh & Joan)
the Spammish Inquisition
Irritating Things to Do
- Dye RA's hair with preconfiscated blue hairdye.
- *Almost* go out of bounds.
- Find the loopholes.
- Disobey the 11th (now 12th) commandments.
- Climb on campus art, such as the doughnut-with-rock in McEEEW!en.
- Misfile the door tags.
- Gallop down the bridge with coconuts, as in Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
- Figure that everyone is up by 9 on a weekend and organize a sing-along on the lawn
- Call all the buildings by their *real* names (Hellth, McEEEW!en, The Hall of Langvages
- Cross-dress and flirt with an unsuspecting RA
- Violate bathrooms of the inappropriate gender while cross-dressing
- Convert a classmate into a drag queen in the middle of the Quad
- Stage a hunger strike simply because we are not allowed in McEEEW!en muddy and barefoot
- Sit on the map and write alternate lyrics to a song of your choice
- Sing in multipart harmony whenever walking anywhere
- Hit the bookstore clerks up for spare change
- Throw M&M's at unsuspecting passerby
- Braid hair, bead hair, whip people at the dances
- Insist on wearing glow-in-the-dark sunglasses
- Hold daily, well-attended, noisy, lengthy, complex rites for Quad-Bird right there in the Quad.
- Swing the keychains.
- Load your keychain/mealcard shoelace down with other stuff, such as pens in elaborate taped arrangements to hold them upside down, bottles of bubble stuff, and whatever else is availible.
- Mud Cult
Meanings of CTY
- Center for Talented Youth
- Asociation of Bad Spellers
- Convocation of Transvestite Yodlers
- Cavalcade of Talented Yeeth*
- Cavalcade of Tibetian Yak
- Cult of Twisted Yeeth
*Yeeth = the CTYian plural of "youth"