Descendants of Edward Willey
Note: I have done my best to get the correct information and cross reference sources as far as possible. Besides checking old documentation, searching for new information, scouring resource data that has become available, and receiving information from living researchers, family members and "long lost kin" - I have also relied on information and resources (i.e. birth certificates, marriage bonds, old letters and the like) which I have been collecting and saving from the time my interest in family history took root in the 1970s. Nevertheless, there are bound to be mistakes, whether in the form of misspelled place names, individual names, transposed dates, or information based on family memories.
This family tree, as well as the other trees found on my home page, are the result of personal interest. I am a hobbyist and do not claim to be a professional genealogist. I am not, nor do I intend to be, a member of any genealogical or historical society and do not wish this information to be used as proof for any such claim to pedigree. I believe that to search into one's history is a wonderful and worthwhile venture for those who are interested in it. I am fully aware that there are researches out there who are given to stinginess and sometimes even withholding information for whatever petty reasons they may have. I am not one of them and I believe all genealogical information regarding deceased or living kin, old photos, letters, etc., should be shared freely with all descendants of our common ancestors. Information gathered through interviews, court records, census information . . . whatever, must be seen as a matter of impersonal social and familial history. Unless, of course, one is in some government witness protection program or is being chased by a vindictive spouse. But even if such were the case, genealogical data has little or nothing to do with place of residence, telephone numbers, or criminal histories of the living. It is simply a record of kinship ties and dates of birth and death - which is all a matter of public record.
return to my home page, look around, or sign my guest book!
For other family names and interesting articles:
go to surname list
Generation No. 1
1. EDWARD1 WILLEY was born 1825 in Virginia, and died May 09, 1861 in Illinois. He married (1) ELIZA ANN WALKER May 01, 1848 in Ohio. She died February 25, 1855. He married (2) MARTHA JANE MCCRACKEN August 23, 1855. She was born in Indiana, and died September 15, 1884.
Children of EDWARD WILLEY and ELIZA WALKER are:
i. ELIZABETH JANE2 WILLEY, b. September 25, 1848.
ii. MAYLISIA ANN WILLEY, b. February 19, 1851.
2. iii. JOHN A. WILLEY, b. January 19, 1852; d. July 19, 1911, Johnson County, Arkansas.
iv. JAMES EDWARD WILLEY, b. February 20, 1855.
Notes for JAMES EDWARD WILLEY:
Little James probably died soon after birth. His mother died five days after delivery.
Children of EDWARD WILLEY and MARTHA MCCRACKEN are:
v. NANCY ELEN2 WILLEY, b. April 19, 1856.
3. vi. JAMES WILLEY, b. November 02, 1857, Olany, Wayne Co., Illinois; d. June 12, 1937, Big Springs, TX.
vii. TYRILDY EMILINE WILLEY, b. October 04, 1859.
Notes for TYRILDY EMILINE WILLEY:
Tyrildy Emiline died August 15, 1860. Less than a year old.
viii. SUSAN EVELINE WILLEY, b. February 10, 1861.
Notes for SUSAN EVELINE WILLEY:
Susan Eveline Willey died July 25, 1862. She would have been 16 mos. old.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN A.2 WILLEY (EDWARD1) was born January 19, 1852, and died July 19, 1911 in Johnson County, Arkansas. He married SARAH MARGARET VANDERVER, daughter of CHARLES VANDERVER. She died 1936 in Johnson County, Arkansas.
Notes for JOHN A. WILLEY:
The information on John A. Willey and his descendants was generously provided by Mary Handley of Waldron, Arkansas. Mary is a great granddaughter of Bessie E. Willey, John's eldest daughter. According to Mary, the Willeys who died in Johnson Co., AR, are buried in the Stillwell Cemetery.
John A. was half brother to my great grandfather, James Willey. John would have been just five years old when James was born to his new step mother. Their respective children would have been cousins. John's eldest (Bessie) was born in 1875. James eldest (Samuel Monroe) was born in 1880.
More About JOHN A. WILLEY:
Burial: Stillwell cemetery
More About SARAH MARGARET VANDERVER:
Burial: Stillwell cemetery
Children of JOHN WILLEY and SARAH VANDERVER are:
i. BESSIE E.3 WILLEY, b. January 10, 1875, Illinois; d. December 22, 1899, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. JOHN DUNCAN TURNER.
ii. LLOYD J. WILLEY, b. 1878, Illinois; d. Missouri; m. LIDA J. FELTNOR.
Notes for LIDA J. FELTNOR:
It seems likely that Lida Feltnor was the sister of Lee Feltnor who married Perley N. Willey, but no proof as of yet.
iii. AMANDA MAY WILLEY, b. 1880, Illinois; d. February 26, 1969, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. (1) HOSEA HURT; m. (2) PETER KVATUM; m. (3) VIRGIL MURPHY.
iv. EDWARD CHARLES WILLEY, b. May 03, 1884, Arkansas; d. December 30, 1970, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. AMY KING.
More About EDWARD CHARLES WILLEY:
Burial: Stillwell cemetery
v. PERLEY N. WILLEY, b. December 1886, Arkansas; d. 1972, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. (1) LEE FELTNOR; m. (2) ELI BAILEY.
vi. E. THOMAS H. WILLEY, b. May 1890, Arkansas; d. Newton Co., Arkansas; m. (1) JOHNNIE M. PRYOR; m. (2) JEWEL REYNOLDS.
vii. WALTER WILLEY, b. April 1892, Arkansas; d. July 19, 1953, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. VIRGIE LEWIS.
More About WALTER WILLEY:
Burial: Stillwell cemetery
viii. TOLLEY M. WILLEY, b. October 25, 1894, Arkansas; d. November 05, 1955, Johnson County, Arkansas; m. OPHELIA FELKINS.
3. JAMES2 WILLEY (EDWARD1) was born November 02, 1857 in Olany, Wayne Co., Illinois, and died June 12, 1937 in Big Springs, TX. He married ARTEMECIA ELY December 24, 1879 in Johnson Co., Arkansas, daughter of CHARLES ELY and MARY GARRETT. She was born June 07, 1862 in On a river bank near DeLeon, (Dublin) Erath Co., TX, and died August 29, 1938 in Tulia, Swisher Co., TX.
Notes for JAMES WILLEY:
James and ARTEMECIA were living near Clarksville, Arkansas in 1883, on land acquired from Leonard Garrett, when a tornado destroyed their house. They then moved to the Huntsville area of Arkansas. (Frances Samples)
James was a circuit riding Methodist minister.
Jean McKinney O'Malley (Hugh Jean) daughter of Lydia Willey McKinney Kiker states that James Edward Willey was born November 2, 1859, Lancaster County, PA.
Notes for ARTEMECIA ELY:
Nancy was known variously as Arta, Artie, and Missy, and was rarely referred to as Nancy. She has been reported to have been born in Dublin, TX., but her youngest daughter Nancy Kathryn Willey (Cassie) reported that her mother was born on a riverbank near DeLeon TX. DeLeon and Dublin are within approximately 10 miles of each other in Comanche Co., TX.
Family traditions vary. Undoubtedly as time passes stories related by individual family members become confused and tangled -- often seemingly contradictory -- which makes it difficult for later generations to untangle. Generally speaking if the whole story was known all the pieces would fall into place. Unfortunately we must work in reverse -- trying to make what seem to be unrelated pieces fit together in an intelligible order -- to "know" the whole story.
Both "Cassie" Willey McKinney and her older sister, Mary Bell (Maxine) Willey Lindsey DeSelle, said that their mother was adopted. This adoption however has not yet been proven. The reported adoption was for some reason an embarrassment to Mary Bell, who often told her own two daughters that she hoped no one ever tried to research her family history. This reluctance, in and of itself, makes little sense. A few years later I was interviewing one of Grandfather's sisters, Minnie Maud Lindsey "Aunt Maud" and another unverifiable but interesting clue was added to the puzzle. The Lindsey children Maud, Mira (Mickie) and Oda John (Jack) grew up with the Willeys and Maud was a close friend to Mary Belle as well as the others. Maud told me during the course of this interview that Artie was "found" on a Riverbank and taken in by the Elys. She also said that there was speculation she "had some Indian" in her. Maud's relating of this information was matter of fact. She also told me at that time that Grandmother had run away from home to marry Jack, Maud's brother. This I was able to verify with other relatives. It has been suggested that perhaps, Mary Garrett Ely's second husband adopted the other children, but since the girls did not take the Simpson name, this seems unlikely.
But what about this so called adoption? While it is obvious from photos of Artie and her sisters that there was little physical resemblance between the siblings, this is not uncommon among in any family. It is worth noting, however, that from at least the seventeenth century on and well into the twentieth, there has been a racist attitude and mutual distrust between Anglos and the indigenous population. It has only been in the mid to late twentieth century that it has become popular, even desirable, to claim Indian heritage. No doubt many things which we consider common places today were looked at with an entirely different sensibility decades ago. There are most assuredly many such facts that will never come to light. Still, in the case of our ARTEMECIA there can only be speculation. Perhaps a little mystery, even if in the end unjustified, is not to be overcome.
Addendum: Another claim is that Artie saw her father murdered by Indians. This does not match with the facts of his death in the Battle of Poison Springs. Could Sarah Minerva's boyfriend who killed Mr. Simpson have been Indian? That too seems unlikely but possible. Was it Mr. Simpson that Artie saw killed?
Children of JAMES WILLEY and ARTEMECIA ELY are:
4. i. SAMUEL MONROE3 WILLEY, b. September 21, 1880, Clarksville, AR; d. May 1948, Shafter, CA.
5. ii. MARTHA WILLEY, b. October 08, 1882, Arkansas; d. TX.
6. iii. GROVER CLEVELAND WILLEY, b. November 04, 1884; d. Abt. 1964.
7. iv. CHARLES B. WILLEY, b. December 12, 1886.
8. v. JAMES EDWARD WILLEY, b. December 14, 1888.
9. vi. NELLIE WILLEY, b. February 21, 1891; d. Watsonville, CA.
10. vii. ADA LETITIA WILLEY, b. August 17, 1893, Arkansas; d. April 01, 1974, Tulia, TX.
11. viii. LYDIA ELIZABETH (MCKINNEY) WILLEY, b. January 07, 1896, Kingsville, Arkansas; d. March 05, 1979, Tulia, Swisher Co., TX.
12. ix. ARTIE MILLIE WILLEY, b. August 12, 1898.
x. BABY BOY WILLEY, b. June 10, 1901.
Notes for BABY BOY WILLEY:
Born and died June 10, 1891.
13. xi. MARY-BELLE WILLEY, b. September 01, 1902, Arkansas; d. May 29, 1991, Snohomish, Sno. Co., WA.
14. xii. NANCY KATHRYNE WILLEY, b. January 29, 1905.
Generation No. 3 3
4. SAMUEL MONROE3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born September 21, 1880 in Clarksville, AR, and died May 1948 in Shafter, CA. He married (1) ROSIE LITTLE Abt. 1900 in Arkansas. She was born in Arkansas, and died in CA. He married (2) MARTHA VIRGINIA ANN ARMSTRONG Abt. 1921, daughter of THOMAS ARMSTRONG and SARAH WHITELEY. She was born August 28, 1887 in Huntsville, AR, and died January 27, 1966 in Bakersfield, CA.
More About SAMUEL MONROE WILLEY:
Burial: Shafter cemetary
More About MARTHA VIRGINIA ANN ARMSTRONG:
Burial: Shafter cemetary
Children of SAMUEL WILLEY and ROSIE LITTLE are:
15. i. LILLY ANN4 WILLEY, b. October 12, 1901, Arkansas; d. CA.
16. ii. JAMES LEANDER WILLEY, b. October 08, 1904; d. November 08, 1959.
iii. FREDERICK NAPOLEON WILLEY, b. January 04, 1908; d. February 24, 1964.
More About FREDERICK NAPOLEON WILLEY:
Burial: Shafter cemetary
17. iv. ARTIE ELSIE ELIZABETH WILLEY, b. January 27, 1907, Washington.
18. v. EDWARD WILLEY, b. 1911, Washington; d. Avenal, CA.
Children of SAMUEL WILLEY and MARTHA ARMSTRONG are:
19. vi. WANDA MAE4 WILLEY, b. January 13, 1923, Stanton, TX; d. August 07, 1996, Riverside, CA.
20. vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON WILLEY, b. May 01, 1928, Texas; d. November 11, 1995, Bakersfield, CA.
5. MARTHA3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born October 08, 1882 in Arkansas, and died in TX. She married (1) WILLIAM EDWARD EVERETT, son of WILLIE EVERETT and MARY ARMSTRONG. She married (2) THOMAS JEFFERSON ARMSTRONG Abt. 1902, son of THOMAS ARMSTRONG and SARAH WHITELEY.
Notes for WILLIAM EDWARD EVERETT:
According to the notes of Frances Samples, granddaughter of Samuel Monroe Willey, William Edward Everett died two months after his marriage to Martha Willey by falling off of a horse. He reportedly jammed his spine.
Child of MARTHA WILLEY and WILLIAM EVERETT is:
21. i. WILLIAM CLARENCE4 EVERETT.
Children of MARTHA WILLEY and THOMAS ARMSTRONG are:
ii. MARGIE4 ARMSTRONG.
iii. MILDRED ARMSTRONG.
iv. ARTIE ARMSTRONG.
v. ANNIE ARMSTRONG.
vi. BILLIE ARMSTRONG.
vii. JESSIE MAUD ARMSTRONG.
6. GROVER CLEVELAND3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born November 04, 1884, and died Abt. 1964. He married ROSA WAID December 24, 1907.
Notes for GROVER CLEVELAND WILLEY:
According to Crawford Kiker, son of Ada Willey, Grover Cleveland Willey was his full name, but he preferred to go by "Cleve." My own mother Nina Lindsey Carlson Martin, and her sister Marie Lindsey Perman always referred to this uncle as Cleve.
Both Mary Belle Willey and her sister Cassie also referred to this older brother as Cleve.
Children of GROVER WILLEY and ROSA WAID are:
22. i. W. KEITH4 WILLEY.
23. ii. MYRTLE WILLEY.
7. CHARLES B.3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born December 12, 1886. He married MARGARET MAY JONES August 10, 1915 in Ardmore OK, daughter of JEPTHA JONES and AMANDA SIMPSON. She was born November 26, 1892 in Ranger, Eastland Co., TX, and died December 30, 1977 in Los Alamitos, CA.
Children of CHARLES WILLEY and MARGARET JONES are:
24. i. JAMES DOW4 WILLEY, b. July 26, 1917, Ardmore, Carter co., OK; d. October 02, 1978, Portland, Multnomah Co., OR.
ii. CARL FREDRICK WILLEY, b. November 06, 1918; d. San Antonio, TX.
25. iii. WILNA MAY AMANDA WILLEY, b. October 08, 1920; d. Anchorage, AK.
26. iv. CHARLEY B. WILLEY, b. July 02, 1922; d. June 1996, Bakersfield, Kern Co., CA.
27. v. RUBY ELIZABETH WILLEY, b. February 04, 1925; d. January 14, 1983.
8. JAMES EDWARD3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born December 14, 1888. He married STELLA WILLEY.
Notes for STELLA WILLEY:
Stella's last name is reported as Willey. This may have been a mistake, but more likely she was from another Willey family line.
Children of JAMES WILLEY and STELLA WILLEY are:
28. i. ELY4 WILLEY, d. December 17, 1968.
ii. NELLIE WILLEY, m. SMITH.
9. NELLIE3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born February 21, 1891, and died in Watsonville, CA. She married JAMES LAFAYETTE POLK, son of JAMES POLK and FRANCES ARMSTRONG.
Notes for NELLIE WILLEY:
Nellie has known grandchildren are Jack Polk and Evanell Polk (?). I do not know if these children are William's or James's.
Children of NELLIE WILLEY and JAMES POLK are:
i. ROY WILLIAM4 POLK, b. 1910.
29. ii. VELMA POLK, b. 1912.
iii. CHARLES JAMES POLK, b. 1914.
iv. OPAL FRANCES. POLK, b. 1917.
v. EVANELL POLK, b. 1926.
vi. JACK POLK, b. 1926.
Notes for JACK POLK:
twin to Evanell
10. ADA LETITIA3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born August 17, 1893 in Arkansas, and died April 01, 1974 in Tulia, TX. She married AUDRY SCHLEY KIKER 1918, son of JAMES KIKER and MARY ESTES. He was born February 05, 1898 in En route from Atlanta, GA to Swisher Co., TX (Throckmorton, TX), and died February 17, 1977 in Tulia, TX.
Notes for AUDRY SCHLEY KIKER:
A.S. Kiker was known as "Sly." Audrey Schley Kiker.
Children of ADA WILLEY and AUDRY KIKER are:
30. i. AUDRY CRAWFORD4 KIKER, b. May 08, 1919, Near Happy, TX.
31. ii. CHARLES WELDON KIKER, b. May 12, 1920.
32. iii. MARY ELLA KIKER, b. May 18, 1923.
33. iv. CECIL BAKER KIKER, b. March 13, 1930.
11. LYDIA ELIZABETH (MCKINNEY)3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born January 07, 1896 in Kingsville, Arkansas, and died March 05, 1979 in Tulia, Swisher Co., TX. She married (1) HUGH MCKINNEY Abt. 1914. She married (2) JAMES WATT KIKER September 1927, son of GEORGE KIKER and MARY WESSON. He was born May 19, 1866 in near Fairmount, Georgia, and died June 24, 1953 in Tulia, Swisher Co., TX.
More About LYDIA ELIZABETH (MCKINNEY) WILLEY:
Burial: March 08, 1979, Rose Hill Cemetery, Tulia, Swisher Co., TX
Notes for JAMES WATT KIKER:
According to Irene Kiker Gardener Luther Carrico, daughter of Lydia and James, by the time Frank was born, James was 70 years old. The income tax people came out to the farm and questioned him. Of course he was Irate!
More About JAMES WATT KIKER:
Burial: Rose Hill Cemetery, Tulia, Swisher Co., TX
Children of LYDIA WILLEY and HUGH MCKINNEY are:
34. i. KATHRYN4 MCKINNEY, b. May 11, 1920; d. November 03, 1982.
35. ii. HUGH JEAN MCKINNEY, b. June 04, 1922.
Children of LYDIA WILLEY and JAMES KIKER are:
36. iii. ANGIE ALLENE4 KIKER, b. June 24, 1928.
37. iv. AGNES IRENE KIKER, b. June 24, 1928.
38. v. JAMES WATT KIKER, b. August 06, 1929.
39. vi. CHARLES WAYNE KIKER, b. November 25, 1933.
40. vii. FRANKLIN DELANO KIKER, b. February 09, 1936, Swisher Co., TX (at home); d. July 27, 1992, Tulia, TX.
12. ARTIE MILLIE3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born August 12, 1898. She married (1) IVEY GOODWIN. She married (2) ODA JOHN FRANCIS LINDSEY Bet. 1940 - 1945, son of JOHN LINDSEY and PHOEBE CAUGHEY. He was born August 23, 1892 in Sherman, Grayson County, TX, and died February 29, 1988 in Veterans's Home in Port Orchard, WA.
Children of ARTIE WILLEY and IVEY GOODWIN are:
i. KARL4 GOODWIN.
41. ii. GEORGIA GOODWIN.
iii. PRENTICE GOODWIN.
13. MARY-BELLE3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born September 01, 1902 in Arkansas, and died May 29, 1991 in Snohomish, Sno. Co., WA. She married (1) DAVID A. DESELLE, son of DAVID DESELLE. She married (2) ODA JOHN FRANCIS LINDSEY December 19, 1920, son of JOHN LINDSEY and PHOEBE CAUGHEY. He was born August 23, 1892 in Sherman, Grayson County, TX, and died February 29, 1988 in Veterans's Home in Port Orchard, WA.
Notes for MARY-BELLE WILLEY:
Mary Belle Willey Lindsey DeSelle changed her first name to Maxine somewhere between her marriage to Jack Lindsey and her marriage to David A. DeSelle.
Children of MARY-BELLE WILLEY and DAVID DESELLE are:
42. i. NORMA4 DESELLE.
ii. DAVEY DESELLE.
Children of MARY-BELLE WILLEY and ODA LINDSEY are:
43. iii. NINA EUGENE4 LINDSEY, b. August 08, 1922, Grand Junction, Colorado.
44. iv. ODA MARIE LINDSEY, b. July 30, 1924, Grand Junction, Colorado.
45. v. KARL LINDSEY, b. January 04, 1926, Grand Junction, Colorado; d. December 04, 1999, Centrailia, WA.
14. NANCY KATHRYNE3 WILLEY (JAMES2, EDWARD1) was born January 29, 1905. She married ALBERT AUTRY MCKINNEY.
Notes for ALBERT AUTRY MCKINNEY:
Albert Autry McKinney went by the name of "Dutch." He was Uncle Dutch to all the cousins.
Children of NANCY WILLEY and ALBERT MCKINNEY are:
i. HUELAND4 MCKINNEY, m. JUNE.
Notes for HULEN MCKINNEY:
Hulen sometimes goes by the nickname of "Ike." He and his wife, June, still live in Bellevue, WA --
ii. DONALD MCKINNEY.
Generation No. 4
15. For generations following these, you'll have to email me personally.