The Lewis and Clark Bridge was opened to traffic in 1930. It was originally a privately owned toll bridge. Toll receipts during the Depression were not sufficient to make scheduled bond payments. As WWII approached, traffic increased and the bridge became profitable. After the war, the original wooden approach spans needed repairs. The state bought the bridge in 1947 and added new steel and concrete approach spans. Tolls were removed in 1965 when the bonds were paid off. The bridge is now part of SR 433
The bridge deck is reachng the end of its serviceable life. The Department of Transportation explored the idea of replacing the existing bridge with a new 4 lane cable stayed span. Instead, the Department decided to replace the deck of the existing bridge, extending the life of the bridge for another 25 years or so. The cable stayed bridge had been considered as a public-private partnership.
This photograph was taken in January 2002 with Oregon in the foreground.
Primary State Hwys Secondary State Hwys