This well-preserved earthen fortification was built between March and June 1863. Builders of the fort included the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 1st West Virginia Infantry. The site had previously been used by Confederate artillery to defend approaches to Romney. When Col. Jacob M. Campbell (54th PVI) garrisoned Union forces at Romney, camps were set up at Mechanicsburg Gap. This site was more easily defended by the fort commanding the Northwestern Turnpike which became Rt. 50.
Location: Two mi. west of Romney, on U.S. 50. Turn left onto road leading to Fancy Hardwoods, follow signs. Open: year-round. Address: P.O. Box 883, Romney, WV 26757. Telephone: 304/822-4320. Email: email@example.com Website: www.hampshirecounty.com