Ranger Exes Memorial - Ranger schools Central Ward SchoolCentral Ward School in 1921 The grade school in Ranger before Hodges, Young, & Cooper was called Central Ward School. It was located at the corner of Elm and Hodges Street, south of the high school near downtown Ranger. During the oil boom, a dormitory was located north of the school to provide housing for teachers who were in great demand. The school building was torn down later. Part of it was moved to the new high school downtown & became the band hall.