Strasburg in the 1860's Looking South toward Fisher's Hill.
Image derived from a period image, artist unknown.
Strasburg was an important part of Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign of 1862. Here a Federal fort became Jackson's objective in the spring of 1862. His famous flanking march maneuvered the Federals from this fort and finally brought them to bay at Winchester. As a result of this action, Strasburg became the destination for the pursuing Federals as the place where they could cut off Jackson's retreat. Jackson barely escaped the Federal "pincer movement" at Strasburg and separately defeated two Federal columns at the battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic respectively.
A year earlier, Jackson had used Strasburg as the place where captured railroad equipment was placed on the rails of the Manassas Gap Railroad and sent south. Jackson captured many B & O Railroad engines, rolling stock, and equipment at Martinsburg, West Virginia and hauled it over land on the Valley Pike to Strasburg using teams of as many as 40 horses.
Strasburg as a Hospital Center
Following the disasterous defeat at Gettysburg, Lee's Army of Northern Virginia returned to Virginia. Towns such as Winchester, Strasburg, Mount Jackson, and Staunton were crowned with the wounded from Gettysburg. Strasburg churches were once again thrust into service as makeshift hospitals to treat sick and wounded Confederate soldiers who had already endured the long and dangerous trip back from Pennsylvania.
The retreat from Gettysburg
Strasburg also figured heavily in Federal General Philip Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864. After defeating the Confederates under General Jubal Early at Winchester, Sheridan continued the pursuit to Strasburg. Here he established headquarters as his army probed the Confederate position two miles south of town at Fisher's Hill. On September 22, 1864, Sheridan's forces again defeated Early's Confederates at the Battle of Fisher's Hill.
Nearly one month following its success at Fisher's Hill, Sheridan's army lay in camp at Cedar Creek, three miles north of Strasburg. Early's Confederates surprised the Federals there at dawn on October 19, 1864 and nearly won a stunning victory only to have their fortunes dashed by a Federal counterattack in the afternoon. The Federals finally ended the pursuit of the beleaguered Confederates at Strasburg.
Strasburg Train Station / Museum, King Street The museum, a great cooperative effort among the town?s citizens, has a wide variety of items including man related to the War Between the States. (See photo below)Very near to this location is the place where T.J. Jackson re-employed locomotives in the service of the Confederacy after hijacking them in Harper's Ferry in April 1861. Open May-October, 10 am-4 pm daily. $2 adults. 540-465-9197.
Looking east on King street. The town run (Water street) is located just east of the Spangler house. The Spangler house is the third building on the right hand side of the street.
Main Street, Strasburg, Virginia
This picture was taken looking west on King street near the intersection of King and Depot (Fort) streets. The building on the right hand side of the street was once called the Central House. The Central House was constructed 1853 by Samuel H. Sonner. It was used as a Hotel and residence and over the years offices were rented. A dentist office operated by Dr. Maphis was located there at one time. Early pictures of the building are without the porch as shown here.
King (Main) Street, Strasburg, Virginia