The Start of Something

The Start of Something

TITLE: The Start of Something
AUTHOR: Sally M, November 2002
SUMMARY: Seven has something to ask of Chakotay. Set just before Endgame.
RATING: PG
DISCLAIMER: Paramount owns these two. I’m just filling in the gaps.
NOTE: Thanks to my dear not-beta, for not-betaing this short piece.

+++

The door slid open and, startled by the sound it made, Chakotay looked up to see Seven of Nine striding towards his desk. “I desire your help in a matter,” she began without introduction.

“And hello to you too, Seven,” he replied, putting down the padd he’d been working on before the interruption. “And next time, do you think you could ring the doorbell first? I might have had someone with me.”

“I asked the computer. It told me you were alone.”

Chakotay smiled. “And forgot to ring the doorbell? That’s not like you. Why don’t you take a seat and tell me what’s on your mind.

“I would prefer to stand.”

“Please.” He gestured to the empty chair in front of him. “Sit down. If not for you, then for me. I get a bad crick in my neck if I’m having to look up all the time.”

She appeared momentarily hesitant, but finally accepted. She sat in the seat awkwardly, her back ramrod straight. If it were anyone else, Chakotay might have thought they were wanting to get out of the room as quickly as possible. But this was Seven, and Seven did not ‘make herself comfortable’ in a chair as others might. “As you know,” she began, “the Doctor has taught me many social and cultural skills.”

Chakotay nodded and smiled. “How are the lessons going?”

“I wish to end them.”

Her words were unexpected. “Oh? Why?”

“While he has an extensive database, he does not have the appropriate life experiences that I would wish to learn from.”

“Such as?”

“Relationships.”

The First Officer nodded his head. “Well, I’ll admit that he’s not been online as long as the rest of us have been alive, but I’d say that both you and he were getting on very well with the rest of the crew and…”

“I did not mean interpersonal relationships such as friendship, Commander,” she interrupted. “I meant personal relationships, between two people. Intimate,” she clarified.

Chakotay swallowed as he began to digest what she had just told him. “Ah,” he croaked, unable to say any more. What could he say? Did holograms have sex? Okay, so some did, if the specifications of the program allowed for it. But the Doctor, well, he was the doctor. He probably had a very clinical view of things, didn’t he.

“… with you.”

Chakotay’s attention snapped back to the woman in front of him. “I’m sorry, Seven. Could you repeat that?”

Again, she appeared to hesitate. “I would like,” she began, and Chakotay heard the nervousness in her voice, “to enter into a relationship with you.”

He sat there, stunned. Had Seven just propositioned him? It sounded like it. But why him? Was she attracted to him? There were so many other available men on Voyager. Certainly, he was attracted to her. What man wouldn’t be?

“I’m sorry, Commander. I have offended you.” Seven, apparently taking his silence as rejection, rose from her seat and walked quickly to the door. In all the years he had known her, Chakotay had never seen her so upset or unsure of herself.

“No, Seven. Wait!” He sprang from his chair and came around his desk, catching her slim wrist in his hand. She could barely look at him, but allowed herself to be led back to her seat. Chakotay sat in front of her, perched on the edge of his desk.

“I’m just a bit surprised, that’s all,” he told her. “There are a lot of eligible men on this ship; I’m flattered that you came to me.”

“You seemed the most appropriate choice,” she said in a quiet voice.

Still she would not look at him, and it seemed to Chakotay that he had never seen her look so human. Wanting to calm her nervousness, he lightly placed a hand under her chin to make her look up at him. “Want to tell me why?” he smiled.

“I… that is…” A scowl crossed her face. “I do not understand why I should be feeling like this. The request I am making is straightforward.”

“Oh, Seven,” he chuckled. “Everyone is nervous when they’re at this point in their lives. Tuvok might not be, but he’s an exception.”

His joke did at least bring a smile to her face. “Vulcans do have emotions,” she corrected him, “but they do not show them.” She paused. “Perhaps I should learn to do that also.”

“Oh no, you don’t,” Chakotay replied. “There’s no way I could date someone like that, who didn’t get emotional over life.”

Seven gulped in surprise at his words. “You are accepting my proposal?”

He laughed and clasped her hands in his. “Yes, Seven, I’ll date you. I mean, my social calendar appears to be free for the next thirty years.”

“I do not think the process will take that long, Commander.”

Chakotay grinned at her. “Okay, your first two lessons in dating. One, get used to my sense of humour, which I’ve told on more than one occasion is very warped, and two, call me Chakotay, at least when we’re on our own, or off-duty. There’ll be more later, but I also expect you to do your own research.”

“Naturally, Com… Chakotay.” She smiled and her entire face softened instantly.

“Okay.” On impulse, he leaned over and placed a light kiss on her forehead. Before she could say anything he said, “I tell you what, why don’t you go back to astrometrics and finish your shift there. I need to work on these,” he said, indicating the pile of padds on his desk, “before tomorrow. Why don’t we meet at Sandrine’s later on? Would that be acceptable?”

“Sandrine’s? Is that a suitable location for a first date?”

“I don’t see why not. We’ll be a group of people, all friends, and it can help to alleviate any nervousness or awkwardness.”

“Very well, I accept.” She rose from the chair, looking infinitely better than when she had sat down. “Thank you for your time.”

“Any time, Seven,” he told her as he slowly relinquished her hands. “My door is always open to you.”

“As long as I ring the doorbell first?” she asked wryly.

“As long as you do. I wouldn’t want some poor ensign to be scared while I’m counselling them.”

“I agree. It would be detrimental to your job.” She stopped just short of his door. “I will meet you at Sandrine’s at nineteen hundred hours, Chakotay.” A strange glint appeared in Seven’s eye. “Do not be late.”

Chakotay watched her leave, shaking his head in amusement. Life in the Delta Quadrant could certainly throw you some surprises, he reflected. Picking up the first padd, he realised that he was quite looking forward to that night.

FINIS

Back to Fiction index