To Use or Not To Use

To Use or Not To Use

AUTHOR: Sally
RATING: PG
SUMMARY: An important command decision to be made
DISCLAIMER: These characters belong to Paramount… I'm just offering up free speech on what I think!

***

"Captain," the young ensign yelled. "Shields are down. Should we use the canon?"

She looked across at her darkly handsome first officer. The outcome of this decision would alter their lives considerably. "Well, Commander," she asked coyly. "Should we?"

He looked at her and shrugged. Which was all he really needed to do nowadays anyway. Everyone knew that his job as first officer was mostly redundant, the fiery captain having assumed all control after his last indiscretion with, well, she couldn't remember if it was another shuttle crashing or another alien babe and it certainly didn't matter. Now he was mostly there so she'd have a nicer view than a blank viewscreen or Tom Paris' back at the helm.

"Captain?" The ensign pleaded again.

"What will it be, Chakotay?" she asked. "To use the canon or to say to hell with it?"

He looked at her blankly.

"Captain?"

"Yes, Ensign?"

"Captain. We have a hull breach in astrometrics. The entire area's been destroyed. No containment."

"We can rebuild it," she replied nonchalantly.

Something silver-looking in appearance flashed by them.

"What was that?" Harry asked. "Some kind of comet?"

"I rather think. Ensign," responded Tuvok. "That it was actually Seven of Nine."

"Either way," Tom piped up. "They think it’s a weapon. It's certainly drawing their fire."

They watched briefly as the enemy trained their weapons on the former drone. After watching what had been Seven of Nine explode the Captain spoke again. "Mr. Paris. Set a course for the alpha quadrant." She turned to the man sat beside her. "I always say, Chakotay. It's so nice not to have to use canon. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes, Captain," he demurely answered, showing no form of emotion after seeing his would-be girlfriend being used as target fodder.

She reached over and patted his hand. "So glad you agree," she replied, smiling. She stood up and stretched in front of him. "I'll be in my ready room, Commander." She smiled again, more seductively this time. "When you get a moment, I insist that you join me."

He swallowed. "Yes, Captain."

"Good boy," she whispered and walked off the bridge.

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to Fiction index