Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

TITLE: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
AUTHOR: Matteabrit, July 2002
SUMMARY: Kathryn’s gone for a different look
RATING: PG
DISCLAIMER: I am still poor!
NOTE: Thanks as always to my beta

***

“Ugh,” she moaned again, sweeping another hand across her forehead and back down to the back of her neck. “This is not funny,” she continued. “I don’t ever remember it being this bad before.”

Her sister looked across at her. “You’ve spent seven years in a temperature controlled environment. It’s always been like this.”

“Hmm.” Kathryn wasn’t so sure. “We’ve got the air on maximum and I’m still dripping.”

Phoebe sighed. “If you’re like this now, what are you going to be like after you move?” She shook her head. “I don’t envy Chakotay one bit if this is any indication of what you’ll be like.”

Kathryn ran a hand over her neck again. Suddenly she paused. “I won’t be like this,” she said in a determined voice.

“Oh sure you won’t,” Phoebe laughed.

“I mean it, sister dear,” Voyager’s former captain insisted. “I won’t be going like this.”

Phoebe was aghast. “Kathryn, what do you mean? I hope you’re not changing your mind. Chakotay will be heartbroken.”

“I don’t mean that at all. Good grief, Phoebe, do you really think I could do that to him? No, I’m going all right, but I’m not going like this, that’s for sure.”

***

The people who passed the woman on the path looked back at her in surprise. It was evident to each and every one of them that she was not a local. She carried a heavy pack on her back, and her outfit was definitely not one that would be worn by women native to the region. The Starfleet insignia both on her pack and on her top made many of the older people give her a wide berth, but none of them could help but watch as she continued on her way down the path with only a quick smile and a grunted hello. What she didn’t know was that they all knew who she was, even if she didn’t look anything like the pictures they had seen of her.

Chakotay was chopping wood when she reached his place. He almost didn’t recognise her, such was the difference in her. He glanced up and, not immediately knowing who it was, was prepared to ask if she needed any assistance. Instead he found himself staring right at his former captain.

“Kathryn?” he gasped, taking her the woman in front of him. She was dressed in a black pair of shorts and a white tee shirt with a laced-up collar. Black hiking boots completed the look. He’d never seen the woman he loved dressed quite like that before. But it wasn’t her clothes that drew the most attention. “What the hell did you do to your hair?” he burst out.

She dropped her backpack to the ground and stared right back at him. “Is that all you can say to me?” she asked incredulously. “I don’t see you in almost a year and that’s all you have to say?” She began walking up the small path towards him. “What happened to ‘Kathryn, it’s wonderful to see you again. I really missed you’?”

Chakotay grinned at her. “Kathryn, wonderful to see you again,” he repeated, meeting her halfway. His arms automatically went around her. “And I did miss you,” he whispered. Force of habit made him bring his hands up to the back of her head as he brought his lips down to meet hers. They kissed briefly before he pulled back and moaned, “But, spirits, Kathryn. Why did you go and cut your hair?”

She took a step back and ran her fingers through her hair. “I guess it is a bit short, isn’t it?” she grinned. “But I got so sick of the humidity back home and figured if it was going to be like that here I might as well come prepared.”

Chakotay gazed at the short mop that barely brushed her ears. “Hope you don’t mind me hoping that it grows back real soon.”

Kathryn sighed. “There’s no winning with you is there,” she said, pouting. She brushed her hand over the cropped strands again. “Besides I rather like it. And it’ll be so easy to take care of in the mornings. And it won’t get in the way or need to be tied back.” The last was said with a pointed look at her fiancé, who immediately put a hand up to his own hair.

“Looks like we had a difference in thinking, didn’t we?” He walked past her to pick up her pack. As he did so she gave his own ponytail a friendly pull.

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to The Edge