Dinner Date

Dinner Date

TITLE: Dinner Date
AUTHOR: Sally M, Jan 2003
SUMMARY: A series of padd messages between the commanding officers of Voyager
RATING: PG13/R for innuendo
DISCLAIMER: Fic – mine, characters – not mine


To: Commander Chakotay, First Officer, USS Voyager
From: Captain Kathryn Janeway, Captain, USS Voyager
Time: 07:00
Subject: Dinner?

Dinner tonight? 2000h?


To: Captain Kathryn Janeway
From: Commander Chakotay
Time: 07:10
Subject: Re: Dinner

*Sigh* I’d like to point out that you’ve only just had breakfast, but can you actually call a mug of coffee and a nibble of something resembling a blueberry muffin breakfast?


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn Janeway
Time: 07:25
Subject: Of course I can!

Be very thankful I have that mug of coffee, Chakotay. Otherwise your life would not be worth living. Besides, I’m a grown woman and can eat whatever the hell I want!


To: A Grown Woman who still has some growing up to do!
From: Your wise first officer
Time: 08:00
Subject: I think it’s in the handbook somewhere

I don’t believe it. An hour into the shift and Tom’s already being in a pain in the backside. What was Admiral Paris like? A case of ‘like father like son’?

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, you might well be a grown woman, with an independent mind and spirit, but you are still the captain of this vessel. As I am first officer of said same vessel I must insist that the captain maintain herself so that she may function at peak condition.

In other words, I won’t have you fainting in hunger in the middle of a hot zone.


To: Chakotay
From: Your captain
Time: 08:24
Subject: What handbook?

Listen mister, when have you ever seen me faint in the middle of a red alert or first contact situation?

Dinner? 2000h?


To: Captain, my captain
From: Your first officer – and don’t you forget it!
Time: 10:06
Subject: Re: What handbook?

Okay, that was not nice. Leaving me to handle that little situation there while you retreat to your ready room. I guess I was wrong when I thought there was a First Officer’s handbook that clearly stated what were and what weren’t the duties of the position. Then again, if there was one it probably wouldn’t cover our situation, and I’m sure the writers of it would never have heard of Talaxians either.

Anyway, dinner… sounds good, because right now I don’t think I could handle another visit to the mess.

Then again – who’s cooking?


To: Commander Chakotay
From: Captain Kathryn Janeway
Time: 12:30
Subject: you’re dead!

Oh dear god. Why couldn’t you have warned me about the situation in the mess?


To: The Captain
From: The First Officer
Time: 12:40
Subject: Check your messages!

I did warn you. Not my fault if you don’t go through your mail on a regular basis. How are you feeling?


To: Chak
From: Kath
Time: 12:45
Subject: Ugh

>> How are you feeling?

Not good. That has to be the worst ever. Hang on…


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 13:00
Subject: (no subject)

Okay, I’ll concede the point about checking my messages. But you’re still dead. After all, you were nagging me about my eating habits.


To: the Captain
From: your first officer
Time: 13:45
Subject: dinner?

Sorry, looks like you weren’t the only one affected. Just had to do a very quick shuffling of the schedules. The Doc wanted to see you; I told him you were indisposed. Hope that was okay?

For the record, I was commenting on your continued disassociation with the meal known as breakfast. It’s one of the rare meals that Neelix can get right on a regular basis.

I don’t suppose you’re up for dinner now, but if you are I’ll cook. I promise it’ll be better than anything else you’ll have had the misfortune to eat today.


To: Commander Chakotay
From: Captain Janeway
Time: 14:00
Subject: anything to get this vile taste out of my mouth

Sounds fine with me. And thanks for steering our dear doctor out of my way. I just know he’d insist that I’d go off duty for a while.


To: the Captain
From: your personal first officer
Time: 14:03
Subject: I could help with that ;)

>> To: Commander Chakotay
From: Captain Janeway
Time: 14:00
Subject: anything to get this vile taste out of my mouth


To: my personal first officer
From: your boss
Time: 14:10
Subject: I bet you could!

Oh Chakotay, thank you so much for the laugh. I needed that.


To: my captain
From: Chakotay
Time: 14:15
Subject: oh gee, thanks

Okay, I made you laugh? I’m not quite sure whether or not I should accept that as a veiled compliment or what?


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 14:27
Subject: you’re very welcome!

>> Okay, I made you laugh? I’m not quite sure whether or not I should accept that as a veiled compliment or what?

For the record, you always make me laugh, in a good way. A very good way. So yes, take it as a compliment.

In the meantime, I still have that awful taste in my mouth.


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay
Time: 15:00
Subject: raincheck

>> In the meantime, I still have that awful taste in my mouth.

Sorry, would love to help you, but my captain’s not feeling good this afternoon, which means I have to command the bridge while she recovers in her ready room.

How about this evening? Say 2000h?


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 15:12
Subject: Re: Raincheck

You’re a bastard - you know that, don’t you. You just love to torment me.

>> How about this evening? Say 2000h?

Sounds good. Better make it my quarters though. I’m going to have a hard enough job moving from this couch. I don’t know how well I’ll do if I have to go back to my quarters, change clothes, and then come over to your place.


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay
Time: 15:20
Subject: don’t you be making comments about my mother

>>You’re a bastard - you know that, don’t you. You just love to torment me.

Yep, I am, but you still love me!

>>I don’t know how well I’ll do if I have to go back to my quarters, change clothes, and then come over to your place.

Who said anything about needing clothes? And you can come wherever ;)


To: my prize bastard
From: Kathryn, now a little bit red
Time: 15:40
Subject: (no subject)

>>>>You’re a bastard - you know that, don’t you. You just love to torment me.

>>Yep, I am, but you still love me!

I do. And I have no clue why when you’re like this.

>> Who said anything about needing clothes? And you can come wherever ;)

Dear god!


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay
Time: 16:00
Subject: enjoy that, did you?

By the way, Tom Paris gave the ready room door a very funny look when we heard your cry. You now owe me big time for stopping Tuvok going in there, phasers drawn.


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 16:06
Subject: excuse me?

>> You now owe me big time

And just who is responsible for sending the original message? And I had to mop up an entire mug of coffee. What a waste!


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay, the innocent one
Time: 16:10
Subject: Re: Excuse me?

Hey, I’m innocent! *holds up hands in surrender*

By the way, your shift ended 10 minutes ago. I’m actually back in my quarters. Beta shift is now on the bridge, so you should be able to avoid the likes of Tom Paris and others.

I’m thinking, should we bring dinner forward?


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 16:12
Subject: I’m on my way

Er, how soon can we bring dinner forward? Suddenly I find myself very hungry – must be the imagery you projected into my mind earlier.

You better not be in your quarters by the time I get home, mister. Otherwise there’ll be trouble.


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay
Time: 16:14
Subject: Promises, promises

Just get your cute butt down here woman, before beta shift sees something they shouldn’t!


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 16:16
Subject: I’m on my way

Okay, okay, I’m coming…


To: Kathryn
From: Chakotay
Time: 16:18
Subject: times-a-wasting

>> Okay, okay, I’m coming…

Not without me, you’re not.


To: Chakotay
From: Kathryn
Time: 07:00
Subject: Dinner tonight?

Shift end. My place. Clothing optional.


FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to The Edge