|The Greek Islands||Amoliani HOME||Amoliani Hotels||Amoliani Beaches||Amoliani Travel|
|THE ISLAND OF AMOLIANI OR AMMOULIANI IN HALKIDIKI IN GREECE & THE DRENIA ISLETS|
The island Amoliani is not really high on the wish list of the frequent island hopper, since there are no other islands to combine it with. It is the only island of ant size near the coast of Halkidiki and is the only inhabited island of Central Macedonia. Still there are a few tiny islets just below Amoliani (the Drenia islands). From the town of Ouranopolis on the mainland boats to go these small islets because there are nice beaches here. From Ouranopolis also the boats depart that sail along the coast of the Athos peninsula (with its many monasteries). The island originally belonged to the Holy Byzantine community of Athos (the Vatopedion monastery) and in 1925 they donated it to the Greek state to house refugees from Asia Minor. The island is green and wooded, partly because it is slightly north of Greece and therefore receives more rainfall than other islands.
To visit Amoliani it is best to fly to Thessaloniki. From Thessaloniki you take the bus to the Athos peninsula. The airport of Thessaloniki is located south of the city, so you do not have to drive all the way through the city. The trip to the peninsula where the ferry takes you to Amoliani takes about two hours (122 km). The ferry leaves from the town of Tripiti which is situated opposite Amoliani island. Also from Ouranopolis there seem to be ferries that go to the island. The crossing is short: only about five minutes. Most accommodations can be found in the harbor where the boat arrives. From here are paths to beautiful beaches such as Ftelies and Tsarki Beach (also known as Alikes). In the north are still a number of beaches (and Faka Tsaska). In the east are Glastri, Limani, Agios Georgios and Megali Amos, and southwest you find Tourkolimano Beach. In the main town Amouliani there is also a beach. Thera are about 6 km of regular roads on the island, and there are many hiking trails that go to other beaches.
Amoliani is fairly unspoilt, partly because it is not on the ferry routes. There live about five hundred people on the island, most of which in the harbor where the ferry arrives. On the island there are also some buildings that remind you of the religious history of the island, such as the Agios Nikolaos church in the capital, which dates back to 1865, and the shipyard Arsanas where the monks stored their boats during bad weather. Island Hoppers from other islands you will not see here, because there are no connections between Amoliani and other islands in Greece. Also on the mainland opposite Amoliani there are some beautiful sandy beaches. You could use the island as a base to explore the Athos peninsula or Halkidiki. Note: on the Athos peninsula with all its sacred monasteries women are not welcome and there are no hotels where you can stay.
|THE BEACHES OF THE ISLAND AMOLIANI OR AMMOULIANI AND THE DRENIA ISLETS IN GREECE|
• Alykes Beach is located in the west of the island (southwest of the capital). This is the most popular beach on the island. It is a beautiful sandy beach where it is easy to go into the water, so well suited for families with children. It is close the Amiliani Lake, to which the island owes its name. It is an organized beach where you can rent parasols and sunbeds.
• Agios Georgios Beach is a beach in the south of the island one mile away from the main town. It is a sandy beach and there is a tavern where you have something to eat or drink. There are also sunbeds and parasols for rent. Agios Georgios Beach is named after a church that stands at the beach.
• Karagatsia Beach (Ftelies) lies in the west of the island Amoliani in a small bay. There is a small cantina where you can get something to drink. The distance to the capital is about two kilometers.
• Faka Beach is located northwest of the capital and here are no facilities (no tavern, no umbrellas and sunbeds). Faka Beach is a quiet beach and it is a good place to fish.
• Moussiou Beach is a small beach just northwest of the capital. It is a quiet beach out of the wind. Under the pines at the beach you can find some shade. Again, no facilities.
• Tsaska Beach is a quiet little beach in the north of the island Amoliani. There are no sunbeds and umbrellas for rent and there is no tavern. The last stretch to the beach you have to walk over a path. On the beach of Tsaska you can find some shade under the trees.
• The Drenia Islets (Agios Nikolaos, Elijah, Pontiki, Nikita, and Spermeno Palarma) south of the island Amoliani are lovely sandy beaches. You can only get there by kaik (traditional wooden boat). The islands are also called Gaidouronissia, which means donkey island.
• Megali Amos Beach is located on the east side of the island Amoliani just behind Agios Georgios Beach. From here you have a beautiful view of the Drenia islets and the mountains of the Athos peninsula. It is a popular sandy beach with coarse sand and there are several facilities. You can rent parasols and sunbeds, and there is a tavern near the beach.
|Accommodations on the island of Amolini or Ammouliani in Greece - Hotels, apartementa and studios|
Hotels on the island of Ammouliani or Amoliani - Helianthus Guesthouse
This monastic-style guesthouse offers air-conditioned rooms with a 26-inch LCD TV and private balcony. It is situated in Ammouliani, the only populated island located between Mount Athos and Sithonia. The Helianthus Guesthouse’s theme rooms have Cocomat orthopaedic beds and mattresses and Mastic Spa wellness products. There is a Philips home cinema with DVD, MP3, CD and DIVX player in each room. Free Wi-Fi internet access is available throughout the hotel. There is a library and private parking provided on site. The Guesthouse Helianthus offers luggage transportation from and to the guesthouse and fax/email service. Room service is also available.
Check availablity and prices & book the Helianthus Guesthouse on Amoliani - click here
Hotels on the island of Ammouliani or Amoliani - Agionissi Resort
The Agionissi Resort offers sunny rooms with sea views, a 5x5 mini football field and a tennis court. The beachfront hotel is situated in the island of Amouliani. Rooms at Agionissi Resort are traditionally decorated and include air conditioning, a minibar and in-room safe. Family rooms also include kitchenettes. Breakfast is included in the room rate. The on-site spa centre Beauty Haven features a hamam, indoor pool and a jacuzzi. Guests enjoy easy access to the sandy and pebbled beach located just a few metres from the hotel. Also available is a swimming pool with separate section for children. The restaurant serves homemade delicacies and fresh fish prepared with local ingredients, and enjoys views of the sea and the sunset. Refreshing drinks are served daily at the pool bar. The environmentally friendly Agionissi Resort is certified with a Green Key.
Check availablity and prices & book the Agionissi Resort on Amoliani - click here
Book a hotel, apartment or studio on the island of Amoliani - click here