The main attraction / sight of the island Aegina is the Temple of Aphaia just outside Aghia Marina. It dates from the 5th century BC. Aphaia was a goddess and a daughter of Zeus. It is one of the best preserved temples in Greece and it had two sets of columns (inside and outside).
The Temple of Zeus is situated on the top of the Oros Mountain in the south of the island. Only the foundations of this temple have survived.
The Temple of Apollo and its one remaining column indicate where the former acropolis of Aegina used to be. It is situated a little north of the capital on the coast. This temple used to be the same as the Temple of Aphaia but it was destroyed in the war with Athens, and only the foundations remained. The site is known as "Kolona" and it houses also the Archeological Museum of the island, with finds from around the island (for instance coins - Aegina was the first island with its own coins - and the Aegina Sphinx which dates from the 6th century BC).
The town of Aegina and its neoclassical buildings. One of the special sights in the town is the Markello's Tower which dates from 1802. It is situated on a square just behind the ferry harbour.
The Monastery of Saint Catherina east of Aegina Town and west of the former capital Palaiochora (now abandoned). It is placed on the site of the former Temple of Aphrodite.