Dubya Administration in a Nutshell
The Guardian Talk
July 12, 2001
The w admin in a nutshell. I keep this list and update it. Sorry for those who've already seen it.
It's a bit lengthy.
As to the title ( Top Ten Presidents : George Bush ), he's done more damage to the democratic PROCESSS than anyone in history. The slope of hill on which we are sliding got steeper due to his handlers (he's not his own man).
Says stop counting, I'm ahead when Gore requested state-wide hand count.
- First cousin announces FL victory on Fox news.
- Goes to federal court to stop count - this from 'Mr states-rights'.
Violence stops hand count in Dade county - republican staffers are the rioters.
- Press supports three. Harris certifies victory on only SUNDAY session of FL in historical memory.
- Ballots fixed in Seminole county by ex-CIA employee in unsupervised access to ballots. 6) FL supreme court says count to continue in any county that wishes so.
- ChoicePoint exposed as having expanded fellon list that includes misdemeanors - original list from TEXAS.
- Antonine Scalia rules that state legislatures can appoint electors regardless of popular vote - FL prepares to pick republican slate regardless of counts. This precident is now the law of the land and our presidential vote is 'advisery'.
- Supreme court says FL court inconsitent needing standards and that count COULD continue but can't due to lack of time. This is a 'one-time' ruling, not to be applied to other cases.
- Stop publishing of federal register to forstall Clinton exec orders - another first.
- Abortion gag rule re-imposed for foreign family planning funds - note that this hits the poorest of the poor women for clinics that merely TALK about it, not necessarily perform abortions.
- Talk down the economy, further agravating a slowdown with unknown consequences for a tax cut that the bulk of the USA doesn't particularly care about.
- Threaten to intervene in a machinists and porters union conflict for North West Airlines because it may hurt the economy - same week say they can't impose caps on energy (which hurts the economy more - some delayed flights or the entire nation having less to spend on consumer goods [hint: economy is 2/3 consumer spending]).
- Latest - the tax cut is now help people pay higher energy costs, so it's ALREADY BEEN spent for fuel, heat and electricity - this may be his second biggest lie.
- Declares error in saying CO2 is a pollutant at behset of coal interests as served by senators from W. Virginia and ??? - broken campaign promise without which he'd have clearly lost the election.
- Attempts to reduce meat inspection that will be used for school lunches - leave no child alive.
- Abrogates Kyoto accords on green house gas emissions - this is his biggest lie, potentially imperiling the race for crass corporate greed.
- Budget released to congress 'missing two pages' - brought to a head by Rep Barney Frank.
- Claims mandate (with less than 25% of vote?) to appoint reactionary judges - revokes ABA review claiming they are to liberal(?!!?), breaking a tradition started by Ike.
- Budget cuts include Russian nuclear stockpile security and employment funds for Russian nuclear engineers - where will they work? Iran comes to mind.
- Cuts for firefighting and disaster preparedness.
- Cuts for child care of working welfare mothers. This when welfare reform is forcing them to the workplace.
- Cuts for NASA - next gen shuttle soon cancelled : problem program, but there is no replacement for next generation shuttle!
- Cuts for EPA clean air inspections.
- Cuts to labor dept.
- Cuts to OSHA.
- Cuts for tobacco law suite from requested 50 million ot approx 1.7 million, effectively shutting down the case.
- Cuts to conventianal military to fund NMD - another CLEARLY broken campaign promise.
- Kills South Korean efforts to reduce tensions with the north.
- Blusters over spy plane, antagonising China for to no gain.
- Pisses/scares Russia enough to further rearm Iran and form informal alliance - this is the scariest foreign policy 'oops' so far. Note : NMD requires breaking SALT I, Rummy claims it's ancient history. China threatens withdrawl from weapons proliferations act in retaliation.
- Admin reverses itself on execution of the retarded.
- Threatens to intervene in an Airline attendants labor negotiations - more union curtailment.
- Appoints no less than four IranGate figures to high office.
- Proposes cuts in aid to third world countries in reducing green house gas emissions.
- Blocks UN proposal to curb flow of small arms to third world. NRA interests are specifically mentioned.
- w admin delays implementation of rules that would allow appeal of health plans - cites concerns of plan sponsors, service providers, state regulators, and "others" - WHAT OTHERS?!?!
- Hires Exxon/Enron and others to 'study' global warming over a three year period. A fox hired to guard the hen house. NOTE : Enron is prime contributor in run for Gov of Texas, as well as Pres.
- Pentagon prepares for Alaska NMD tests that will break SALT 1 treaty, despite warnings - announces potential deployment PRIOR to congressional turnover in 2003.
- w admin blocks G8 drive to reduce global fossil fuel SUBSIDIES.
- Ashcroft talks green, but reduces EPA inspection prosecutions.
- W admin, thru EPA, seeks to delay Clinton exec order on cleaning polluted rivers.
- w announces perscription benefit will be a card, which the govt will ask sellers to honor - no govt money will aid the project: pharmacies protest, saying burden will fall on them and not govt or drug companies, as anticiapated. Elderly groups worry that help will be trivial.
- w admin blocks G8 drive to reduce global fossil fuel SUBSIDIES to third world countries.
- Ashcroft talks green, but reduces EPA inspection prosecutions.
- w admin, thru EPA, seeks to delay Clinton exec order on cleaning polluted rivers - sites need for more research (as with global warming, arsenic levels in water and workplace ergonomic standards).
- Blocks UN attempt to limit the spread of small arms, including machine guns, mortars and anti-tank rockets. Koffe Annan called them 'the real weapons of mass destruction'.
- Blocks UN attempt to halt spread of land mines. Note: Clinton also did so (wanted a Korean exception).
- Blocks UN attempt to inspect/limit bio-weapons. Note all done out of hand, without discussion or consideration.
w admin proposes building a 'space bomber' to bomb any target within 30 minutes, also violating yet another treaty, this one SPECIFICALLY against the militarization of space.
- Appoints Strom Thrumond's son as state's Atourny to S.C. (Strom's own state) - yet another example of party nepotism.
- Proposes 19.3% tarrif on Canadian lumber as favor to extractive industry and also to force opening of western woods to clear cutting.
- Proposes tax cut for cost of Nuke plant decommision to stack deck for new nukes.
Only a partial list that comes to mind.
The State of the pResident
The Dubya Table