Breuer's Sign, Breuer's Hypnotic Sign,
An Objective Neurologic Proof of Trance State
Objective Sign of Hypnosis - Breuer's Absent Pupillary Reflex Sign,
Breuer's Sign of Hypnosis,
Neurologic Sign of Hypnosis
Proof of the Hypnotic Trance State
- For those who discount trance state completely. This may be a objective sign... and is opposite the normal physiological response!
- The following is from a lecture/demonstration by Dr. Breuer:
- 'Since my clinical use of hypnosis is chiefly for the treatment of 'physical' disorders, when I teach physicians, nurses and similar personnel, there is one objective sign they can use with reasonable assurance.
- This test requires that absolutely no reference be made to the subject regarding the eyes or to the desired outcome.
- When the subject is in 'deep' hypnosis (use your own favorite scale) she/he is asked to stay in hypnosis and open their eyes. The pupils are usually dilated.
- When a penlight is shone into the eyes the pupils will usually stay dilated or poorly reactive (the normal non-hypnotic response being contraction). Some clinicians use this as a benchmark for cases being readied for anesthesia.
- What we mean by very 'deep hypnosis' is debatable and which terminology for that state (somnamulistic, Esdaile, Ultradepth, etc.) and the method to get the client/patient there is not for discussion here. This is a brief test and will not take away from therapy.
- Dr. William Breuer of Louisville, Kentucky, USA, popularized this test in University lectures to his students after conducting a conclusive double-blind research project that involved professionals in multiple sites in three different countries. (U.S.A., Canada, & Great Britain)
- This test is featured in Dr. Breuer's Medical Textbook, Physically Focused Hypnotherapy.
History: The early mention of this sign is in an 'archaic' and esoteric book, 'Hypnotism' by Carl Sextus, which stated that when people are asked to open their eyes while remaining in deep trance and then when a light is shone into their eyes, their pupils won't contract. Use any suggestions you wish to keep them in hypnosis, but at this point in trance do not use any suggestions relating to their eyes, visual focus, light or the pupils' dilation/contraction.
Hypnosis Training & Consultations are available
Hypnosis Consultations & Hypnosis Training in Maritime Canada
U.S. Location - Multicare Centre for Integrative Medicine
THE HYPNOSIS MUSEUM - A Top Hypnosis Educational Site
Further Information on Hypnosis Consultations in the USA & Canada
More info on the uses of Hypnosis!