An Easy Way To Make Your Own Incense
Heat proof dish
Dried herbs or Spices
Place sand in heat proof dish.
Place charcoal block on sand. (You can break these in half if you don't want them to burn as long.)
Light the edge of the charcoal block with a match or taper. (DO NOT HOLD THE CHARCOAL IN YOUR HANDS WHILE LIGHTING!)
Once the block is glowing and the saltpeter in it has
stopped sparkling, sprinkle a half-teaspoon or so of the herb or spice on the block.
Use a small spoon if you wish. It will immediately start to burn, and in doing
so, release fragrant smoke.
Use just a small amount of incense at first. When the smoke starts to thin out, add more. (If you dump on a large amout of incense at once, it
will extinguish the charcoal block, so use a small amount.)
Don't knock off the ash that forms on top of the charcoal unless the incense starts to smell foul. If that happens, scrape off the burning incense and the ash with a spoon and add a fresh spoonful.
The Charcoal block should be left to burn out and cool in the sand.
To extinguish a block before it has fully cooled, quench it in a container of cold water. (DO NOT PICK IT UP WITH YOUR HANDS!)
Here are some one-herb incenses that can be burned on charcoal blocks as needed.
They are instant incenses, needing no mixing or
measuring. Simply grind them before use.
1) Allspice: Burn to attract money and luck and to provide extra physical energy.
2) Bay: Use a small amount for purification and protection of the home.
3) Cedar: Smoulder for purification, protection, to speed healing and promote spirituality, and to obtain money.
4) Cinnamon: Burn to sharpen psychic powers, to draw money, speed healing, confer protection and to strenghten love.
5) Clove: Protection, exorcism, money, love and purification.
6) Fern: Burn the dried fronds indoors to exorcise evil, and outdoors to bring rain.
7) Juniper: Exorcism, protection, healing and love.
8) Pine: smoulder for money, purification, healing and exorcism.
9) Rosemary: Burn for protection, exorcism, purification, healing and to cause sleep; to restore or maintain youth, to bring love and to increase
10)Sage: Smoulder to promote healing and spirituality.
11)Sandalwood: For Protection, healing, exorcism, and spirituality.
12)Thyme: Health, healing and purification.