Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Eagle and ShieldOne Hundredth OVI

The following is a list of the more important battles and military movements in which this Regiment took an honorable part:

Winter of 1864
May 5 & 9, 1864
May 9, 1864
May 13-16, 1864
May 20, 1864.
May 25 - June 4, 1864.
June 9-30, 1864.
July 6-10, 1864
July 28 - September 2, 1864
August 5-6, 1864
August 31 - September 1, 1864
September 2, 1864.
September 15, 1864
November 24, 1864
November 29, 1864
November 30, 1864
December 15-16, 1864
December 1864
Feb. 20, 1865
Feb. 22, 1865

If you are searching for more in depth information on the 100th OVI,
please visit Tony Valentine's 100th Ohio Volunteer Infantry site.

Ohio Flag The Regiment was organized at Toledo in July and August, and was mastered into the service September 1, 1862. On the 8th it moved to Cincinnati, for the defense of that City, then seriously threatened by raids. The Rebel Army tinder General Bragg was then threatening Cincinnati, and the Regiment was placed in trenches at the left of Fort Mitchell, on the Lexington Pike, Kentucky. As Bragg did not attempt an assault on Covington Heights, as apprehended, little came of the movement although, with fresh troops, the case was by no means a trifling one. The Rebel force soon retreated to Tennessee, via Lexington and the Cumberland Passes. Colonel Groom having resigned, Lieutenant-Colonel Slevin was promoted, his rank dating May 25, 1863. He continued in command until wounded for life, August 6, 1864, in a charge on the enemy's works in front of Atlanta, Ga. The command then devolved on Captain Frank Rundell, who retained the same until the release of Lieutenant-Colonel Hayes from Rebel prison. May 12, 1865, he resigned, when Captain Rundell, meantime promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, was placed in command, retaining the same until muster out, July 1, 1865.

The Regiment having been assigned to the Second Brigade, Third Division, Army of Kentucky, moved in pursuit of the retreating Rebels to Lexington, Ky., where it went into camp on the Fair Grounds. Remaining in Kentucky during the Winter and Spring, doing garrison duty, and pursuing Rebel Cavalry raiders until August, 1863, it then entered upon a more active campaign, as part of First Brigade, Third Division, Twenty-Third Corps of the Army of the Ohio. It then marched with Burnside's force across the Cumberland Mountains, and assisted in the capture of Knoxville, Tenn., the Rebels evacuating upon the approach of the Union troops. At Knoxville a part of the Regiment was detailed for provost duty, while the balance (some 300 men), under Major Hayes, were sent to Limestone Station, East Tennessee, about 100 miles distant, to intercept tile Rebels and prevent the destruction of the Railroad bridge at that point. The detachment reached the bridge at midnight, when the Major left 2.5 men under Lieutenant lime, Company H, at the bridge, and proceeded to Jonesville, 10 miles distant, where a Rebel Brigade was encamped under General "Mudwall" Jackson. At day-break Major Hayes moved upon the Rebel pickets, and drove them to their camp. He then placed his command aboard the cars, and fell back to Limestone Station. Here he disembarked, and deployed on picket line. The little command had scarcely deployed on the skirmish line when the Rebels made attack. Major Hayes held his men in line from 12 M. to 5 P.M., when by repeated assaults, his command was driven into small block-houses at the bridge. Of' this the enemy's artillery soon had range, when the Union force (265 in number) was compelled to surrender. Of these, 85 died in Rebel prisons from starvation and exposure. This capture was a sad blow to the young and promising Regiment. It was fortunate in the liberal recruits received by it during the following winter, preparing it for participation with Sherman in the Georgia campaign.

Soon after Burnside entered Knoxville, Gen. Carter, of the United States Army, was appointed Provost Marshal of East Tennessee, with headquarters at that point. He issued safeguards for all who asked for them for several miles about, making it difficult to provide stocks of supplies for the troops and horses. Hence, when the Rebel General Longstreet placed the City under siege, resources for food were limited to the Holston. The men were limited to one-third rations, and these of the poorest quality. The result was severe suffering. Large numbers of the cattle designed for the troops became useless, some dying from starvation.

General Reilley's Brigade, of which the One Hundredth was a part, was designated as the Reserve, to be ready for any movement which the situation might indicate. Hence, the men were denied the use of tents or other protection from the weather, often from cold and rain very severe, causing much suffering therefrom, as well as from hunger, during the three weeks' siege. At length, General Sherman brought deliverance by driving off Longstreet and raising the siege. The Rebel force retreated toward Bull's Gap and Richmond, followed by General Burnside's main force; a small detachment, including the One Hundredth Ohio, being left to guard Knoxville, Colonel Slevin being in command. It was deemed fortunate that the Rebels were not advised of the inadequate force then left in charge of that important point.

Early in the Spring of 1864, General Cox s Division, including the One Hundredth Ohio, marched to East Tennessee, where it remained until May, when, after destroying the Railroad and bridges in its rear, it rejoined the Twenty-Third Corps at Knoxville, then under command of General Schofield, taking tile line of march for General Sherman and the Atlanta campaign, in which the Regiment bore an active and honorable part, as shown by the foregoing list of battles. It lost heavily, especially at Rocky Face Ridge, Dalton, Resaca, Cartersville, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, and Chattahoochie River. On 6th of August General Reilly's Brigade was ordered to charge on the enemy's works in front of Atlanta, and to carry them at all hazards. In that desperate action the Brigade lost, in killed and wounded, 600 men, including 103 out of 300 of the One Hundredth. Col. Slevin was among the severely wounded.

From Atlanta the Regiment joined in the pursuit of Hood and afterwards participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville. With the Twenty-Third Corps, it moved to Wilmington, North Carolina, and was there actively engaged. Thence it moved with Sherman's Army to Raleigh. It then moved to Greensboro, whence it proceeded to Cleveland, Ohio, where it was mustered out July 1,1865, having served two years and 10 months. During its term of service, the Regiment lost 65 men killed in battle; 142 wounded; 27 died of wounds; 108 died of disease; 325 were captured by the enemy; and 85 died in Rebel prisons. It participated in the battles of Lenoir Station, Knoxville, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, Etowah Creek, Columbus, Franklin, Nashville, Town Creek, Wilmington and Goldsboro, besides numerous skirmishes.

At Cleveland, on its return, the Regiment was provided with a bountiful supply of refreshments, and at the Park was addressed on behalf of the citizens by A. T. Slade, Esq., who, in the course of his remarks, said:

Think of it. The Confederate soldier goes to his home, after years of fruitless resistance to his Government, to find that home desolate -- his friends killed or scattered -- with no pay, no pension, no land, no thanks-to go down, for all time, as a traitor to this great and good Government. You, on the other hand, after years of fighting, find your homes joyous-with pay, with pensions, with the gratitude of your loyal countrymen; and, above all, and over all, with an undivided country-with names that poetry and eloquence shall vie to honor.

April 2, 1864, was published at Toledo a letter from Lieutenant Norman Waite, 100th Ohio, asking the people of Toledo to furnish that command with a new stand of colors, for reasons which he stated as follows:

Sept. 8, 1863, 300 of the Regiment met 1,200 of the enemy and fought them from 9 to 11:30 A.M., and repulsed them, and then fell back six miles, and from 1:30 till 5 P.M. fought 2,100 Rebels with four cannon, our boys having no artillery-holding them until their last cartridge was fired, and then retiring into log stockades, which the enemy soon knocked down over their heads, and only surrendered when overpowered by seven to one. We have lost one flag and have one-half of the other, filled with bullet-holes, the balance having been shot away by a shell from the enemy's guns. Will not the citizens of Lucas County see that this Regiment -- true to its country -- true to its State, and an honor to this District-is furnished with a new stand of colors?

Within three days of such publication the requisite sum of money was on its way to Lieutenant Waite, where it was duly received.

In a letter, dated at Libby Prison, November 8, 1863, Captain W.W. Hunt furnished a list of' members of his Company (E) then held at Belle Isle, as follows: Sergt. N. Stutgard. Corp. James D. Knight. Privates -- Harry Stark, Ira Beverly, Milo Metcalf, Truman M. Tyler, Daniel Navarre, Miles A. Aldrich, Henry Berner, John Cuthbert, Samuel Berry, Levi Lenardson, Charles LaFountain, Lewis M. Poierier, Wm. James, George W. Seymour, James Brimson, Alonzo Sabin, Conrad Folmer, Harry Albert, D.R. Streeter, Daniel Clark, and Wm. Day.

On the 28th of March, 1865, the battle-flag of the One Hundredth Ohio was delivered to the Toledo Board of Trade, by Captain J.B. Blinn, accompanied by the following letter:

1ST BRIG., 3d Div., 23d A.C.
WILMINGTON, N.C., March 4, 1865.

Sir -- In behalf of the officers and men of this Regiment, I have the honor to present to you this tattered banner, with the request that it may be preserved by the Toledo Board of Trade, in memory of the brave men who have gallantly carried and defended it in the battles of Utoy Creek and Atlanta, Columbia, Franklin and Nashville, and of Town Creek; also in sacred remembrance of Color-Corporal Byron C. Baldwin, who yielded up his life in its defense at Franklin, Tennessee, saturating its folds with his precious blood. Its term of service has been short-less than a year-but it is covered with honorable scars, worthy of a veteran. Presented to us by the citizens of Toledo, we know of no better hands in which to deposit it, than yours.

Your obedient servant,
E. L. HAYES, Brevet Brig.-Gen.

To the President of Toledo Board of Trade.

The Board of Trade, through Harry Chase, President, and Carlos Colton, Secretary, made fitting reply to the foregoing letter, accepting the flag, thanking the Regiment for it, and promising carefully to preserve it. This was the flag provided at the suggestion of Lieutenant Waite in April, 1864. In July, 1865, Col. Slevin delivered the flag to the Board of Trade. It bore the record: "Limestone," "Siege of Knoxville," "Rocky Face," "Resaca," "Dallas," "Utoy Creek," "Atlanta," "Columbia," "Franklin," "Nashville," "Town Creek," "Wilmington." M. R. Waite, Esq., on behalf of the Board of Trade, responded to the address of Colonel Slevin, thanking the Regiment for the flag, and pledging the Board that the same should be carefully preserved.

The following casualties occurring at the battle of Franklin in the One Hundredth Regiment, were reported at the time:

Killed. -- Capt. W.W. Hunt, Co. F; Lieut. M.A. Brown, Co. E; A.D. Hines, Co. K; Corps. Henry Shaffer, Co. B, and Byron C. Bald win, Co. A; Martin Miller, Co. D; Andrew F. Bradley, Co. H; William Stone, Co. I.

Wounded. -- Lieut. Henry Obee, Co. D; Orderly Sergts. H.C. Connard, Co. I, and W. Ferguson, Co. K; Sergts. Emanuel Gruger, Co. A, and A.W. Allen, Co. K; Corps. N.C. Navarre, Co. E, and James Jones, Co. A; Z. Zeller, Co. A; Wm. Myrice Co. B; A.J. Duncomb. Co. C; C. Badger, John Obee, John Wessels, Fred. Nilds and M.G. Worden, Co. D; C. LaFountain and Martin V. Bates, Co. F; John Kerr and Mack Boon, Co. G; Campbell Boyd and W.H. Ligsby, Co. H; Jas. Donot and Levi Morris, Co. I; Samuel Whitehead and Wm. Mowrey, Co. K.

Missing. -- Sergt. John F. Bookwalter, Corp. A. W. King, Jos. Young, B. D. Donahne, Allen Borden, H.W. Walker, D.H. Hosach, Henry Dunlay, August Talbert, Lyman R. Critchfield, J.A. Fleming, George Hill, Win. Hilbert, Win. Wheeler and Willis Lane, Co. D; H. Alfred and E.B. Stockwell, Co. E; Pat. Farley, Geo. Whiteman and Wm. Whiteman, Co. G; M. Crew, John Gross, Theo. Hess, W.H. Patton. J.H. Ross, John Starr, M.V.B. Phillips and B.M. Black, Co. H; Benj. B. Beal, Co. I; John Fleagh, Co. K.

In a letter dated Nashville, Tennessee, December 9,1864, Adjutant Norman Waite, 100th Ohio Infantry, gave this incident of the battle of Franklin:

Colonel E.L. Hayes ordered the Color-Bearer (Byron C. Baldwin, Co. A) to advance and place his colors in the works, which he did, and the works were ours again. It was nearly dark, and they had charged at six different times, and we fought nearly the whole time until 10 P.M. Capt. W.W. Hunt, Acting Major, fought nobly. About 7 o'clock we missed him, and found him dead near the front works. Lieut. Milton A. Brown was on the skirmish line and was wounded as it was falling back, but gained our works, and while cheering on our men was shot dead. Color-Sergeant Baldwin had the flag presented to us by the citizens of Toledo. The upper part of the staff was broken off by a bullet, and the lower half gone. While thus carrying the colors he was shot, when he deliberately wrapped the flag around him and died-his life-blood saturating the folds of the flag. In less than 48 hours the Regiment fought in two hard battles, and marched over 40 miles, besides building a line of works. We went into the fight with 250 men and lost 62 in killed, wounded and missing.

From History of Toledo and Lucas County, by Clark Waggoner
Volume I, pages 188-190

Eagle and Shield

Home | Regimental History | Selected Letters
Biographical Sketches | Henry D Kingsbury | Battlefields
Prisoners of War | Other Regiments | Links and Reading