Theistic Satanism: Home > Rituals, etc. > Standard ritual > Greetings
Greetings to the Princes and the Legions of Hell
by Diane Vera
Copyright © 2003, 2010 by Diane Vera. All rights reserved.
The "Greetings to the Princes and the Legions" are a part of my recommended standard ritual format. They are to be said immediately after the preliminary Invocation to Satan.
Below are four versions, one for each element:
Also, here is an older version.
Notes on the names of the elemental Princes, and suggestions on how to visualize them while doing any of the above versions of the ritual:
- Water (West): Ancient Serpent (Leviathan) - By saying "Ancient Serpent! Dragon of the primal sea!" we are calling on the aspect of Satan associated with primal emotion, animal instinct, intuition, and the power of your subconscious mind. Visualize a large serpent rising from a raging sea, to represent the element of Water. Also, as you say the greeting to the Ancient Serpent, recall what the air feels like just before a thunderstorm, and visualize both the Serpent and the sea exuding a similar kind of energy.
- Fire (South): Iblis is a name for Satan common among Muslims, who believe He was created from fire. Hence we use "Iblis" as a name for the fiery aspect of Satan, associated with pride, passion, destruction, and wrath against enemies. He also challenges us to face down our fears and thereby become stronger. If you find anthropomorphic visualizations helpful, then visualize Iblis as a fierce, bestial, stereotypically "demonic"-looking figure holding a sword, with a wall of fire behind him, to represent the element of Fire. (If you are doing a destruction ritual, you might find it helpful to visualize Him with sword upraised and standing on a pile of bones in front of the wall of fire.) If you're not fond of anthropomorphic visualizations, then just visualize a large flame emerging from darkness.
- Air (East): Lucifer-Azazel is the Promethean aspect of Satan. He brings knowledge and encourages pride. Visualize Lucifer as a light emerging from darkness, like the flashes of inspiration emerging from the darkness of a person's unconcious mind. Alternatively, if you find anthropomorphic visualizations helpful, visualize Lucifer as a handsome, golden-haired young man in a white robe (or perhaps a lab coat?), surrounded by various devices representing major advances in science and technology. Behind Him, visualize a wind blowing, to represent the element of Air.
- Earth (North): Belial is the aspect of Satan that encourages our desire for material wealth and power. Visualize Belial in whatever way best symbolizes, to you, worldly power, practicality, and success. Behind Him, visualize a rocky mountain, representing the element of Earth.
- The Dark One is nameless and formless, representing the hidden depths. Visualize yourself looking all the way down to the Earth's molten core.
- If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, the directions north and south should be transposed. Turn clockwise instead of counterclockwise, and greet Iblis in the north and Belial in the south instead of vice versa. The calls to the Legions should be adjusted likewise.
- For more information about the names Leviathan, Iblis, Samael, Lucifer, Belial, Lilith, and Azazel, see Infernal names, directional correspondences, etc..
Thanks to Sarah Harper for suggesting the lines: "... who opens our eyes, and rends the veils between the worlds!"