Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Third Watch Madness Fanfiction!

-Riot In Lockup by Phyllis (Page 1)

Main Page

-Bios

-Previews

-Characters

-Episodes

-TW Dance

-Board

-Gallery

-Photos

-Contest

-Polls

-Elibs

-Comics

-Fanfiction

-Bob Ded

-Ideas

-Adopt

-TWlinks

-ASPCA

-ClipArt

-My Sites

Other Pages:

On to Page 2 of Riot in Lockup

Riot in Lockup -by Phyllis

Title: Riot in Lockup

Author: Phyllis

Disclaimers: Owned by John Watson, Warner Bros., and NBC-no profit made-only borrowing for a short time

Email: maxbobabe@aol.com

Rating: PG

Warnings: none

Summary: Bosco returns to work

RIOT IN LOCKUP

Bobby was standing in front of the fire station when he saw the blue Mustang pull up across the street. He walked over to greet the occupant as he got out of the Ford.

“Hey, Bosco. About time you came back to work.” He lightly clasped the man’s shoulder “How’s the shoulder doing?”

The young officer shrugged his shoulders a couple of times. “Pretty good. Aches some. If I move too fast, it’ll bother me some, but really, it’s not to bad.” Bosco looked at the tall paramedic. “I haven’t talked to you since I got shot. I know you came by a few times, but I haven’t had a chance to tell you thanks for being there. I don’t remember too much, but Faith tells me you guys saved my life.” Bosco extended his hand. “I wanted to tell you and Kim thanks. I mean it.”

Bobby waved Bosco off. “Hey, man, just doing what I get paid to do. I’m just glad we were able to help. Everyone was pretty worried for a while.”

“Well, thanks anyway. You just proved what I’ve always thought and that’s that you and Kim are a great pair of paramedics. And I, for one, think you don’t get enough credit.” Bosco released Bobby’s hand. “ Well. I had better get in there and report for work. I’ll see you later.”

The two men split and went in separate directions to start their day of duties. Kim Zambrano arrived just as the two men split. Smiling, she called to Bosco. He gave her a wave as he headed for the doorway to the station house. She turned toward the firehouse and told Bobby hello over her shoulder. He came up behind her and put his hands on her small shoulders. “Hello, partner. How’s your day going?”

“Things are good. Joey had a good day at school. He told me all about it on the ride over. He and Mom are going out to eat tonight, because he got two gold stars at school today.” Kim laughed. “He gets to pick the place for his reward. Where do you suppose they’re eating?”

Bobby smiled “Pizza”

Kim reached up and patted Bobby’s hands on her shoulders. “You know my son too well.” Once inside, she went back to change while Bobby stopped in the kitchen to get a drink. Their shift started in twenty minutes. When Kim came out, they would begin checking the bus and supplies. They checked both at the beginning of each shift. Chances were good that they would have to gas up and add oil. This had become a daily event for them. There was an oil leak, but nothing that would take the ambulance out of service.

Jimmy Doherty walked up and took a bottle of water out of the refrigerator. He nodded an acknowledgement to Bobby. “Afternoon.” Bobby nodded, but said nothing. Jimmy kept moving through the kitchen area to the workout room at the back of the house.

Doherty had been quiet since coming back to duty after being shot by a mentally ill ex-firefighter several weeks prior. Maybe a real brush with death would help to settle the jerk down. Bobby still got angry when he thought about Kim and Jimmy together. Sure, they were married at one time, but divorced when he started running around on her. As good a firefighter as Doherty was, it was overshadowed by his poor choices in his personal affairs. He gambled too much, was unfaithful to his wife, and a poor dad to his son. For all his faults, Jimmy was a good man at heart, just too immature for his and everyone else’s good, except at his job. In that area, Jimmy Doherty excelled. Bobby Caffey had no problem with firefighter Jimmy Doherty. He had great respect for that man.

But Bobby’s feelings for Kim made it hard for him to accept the personal side of Doherty. No matter what Doherty did to Kim, if he showed up at her door, she would let him in. She was his safety net. That was Bobby’s problem with him. Kim had not talked about Jimmy much in the last few weeks. Before he had been shot, Bobby had been with Kim and engaged to another woman at the same time. Bobby would never understand why Kim could not just cut her ties with the jerk. Of course, they had a son together, but the boy lived with his mother and Dad had visitation every other weekend.

There was no sense worrying about them. Kim was his partner and as long as Jimmy was a part of her life that was all she would ever be. He was brought back to the present as Kim came out tucking her uniform shirt in. “Hey, partner, ready to go to work?” Kim looked at Bobby, seeing him as a good friend. Well, as long as she was around, Bobby would be happy.

Bosco waved to several people as he passed through the station to the locker room, but he didn’t stop to talk to anyone. After being off for two months, he felt out of place in his own station house. He hoped the sensation would pass soon and things would get back to normal. He changed to his uniform, but left his vest in the locker. The doctor had released him for light duty only, so he would not be on the streets where he should be and wanted to be. Hopefully, it would not be long.

He shut his locker, took a deep breath, and then left the locker room by the only door. As he came out, Faith Yokas was just turning the corner at the end of the hall closest to the locker room. Bosco smiled and raised his arm to greet his partner. Faith’s greeting was a little more physical. She put her forearm against his chest and shoved him back through the door he had just come out of. He stumbled backwards into the locker room and stopped only when he ended up against the end of the locker bank. Surprise was on his face as he tried to remember what he might have done to set his partner off.

“Dammit, Bosco, when are you coming back on full duty? I’m sick of riding around with those idiot rookies straight out of the academy. He couldn’t find a crime if it hit him in the face, much less solve one.” Her eyes blazed as she confronted him.

“He?” Bosco raised his hands in an act of surrender when her eyes flared again. “Hey, I want to go back on duty as much as you want me back, but they won’t release me for …..”

She cut him before he could finish his statement by shoving him back against the lockers again. “Do NOT say two more weeks. I have to get you back in that car now, so I can get rid of that idiot Whitney” Faith took a couple of breaths and relaxed the pressure against Boscos’ chest. “Bos, I can’t take another two weeks.” Yokas said almost tearfully.

At that moment a tall, thin red haired cop came up behind Yokas. He stepped into the doorway of the locker room behind Yokas. Faith dropped her head slightly. “Yes, Whitney? What is it?”

The young officer smiled “Yes, Officer Yokas. I just wanted to let you know, there were no major incidents on our beat today. The officers in unit 55-David responded to 2 domestic calls, 1 shoplifting call at the grocery on Fifth and Vickery. They reported activity at all the schools, but as schools are opening next week, that was not unexpected. That is all they had-a very slow day according to senior Officer Ramirez. The sun is due to set at 8:21 pm so the temperature should drop soon after that. We might think about putting light jackets in the truck of the squad. Well, we should get to roll call. It is almost time to start the day’s briefing.”

Faith had her eyes closed during the entire exchange. The young officer did an about face (that was the only way to describe it) and proceeded to the briefing room.

Faith still had her head hung down, but she must have felt a small vibration in Boscos’ chest. Her head jerked up and her eyes locked with his. He felt, rather than saw, her hand reach for her holster. “I swear to God, Bosco, if you laugh, or even smile, I will pull out my gun and shoot you right here.”

Bosco bit his lip and opened his eyes wide to stop the laugh that lurked at the back of his throat. Faiths’ face hinted that she might not be kidding. “Never.” Was all he could muster.

Captain Elchisak was suddenly standing at their shoulders, hands resting on his belt. “Is there a problem here?” he looked both officers in the face as he crossed his arms across his chest. “Boscorelli, you’ve only been back ten minutes and already causing trouble?”

Faith released her partner. “No. He wasn’t doing anything, Captain. I was threatening him with death if he ever did something like getting shot again.” She turned to Bosco and smiled. With a wink, she told him, “It is good to have you back.” She turned and walked off to the briefing.

Bosco looked the captain. “I guess I had better get over there. Hate to be late my first day back.”

The Captain held up his hand to halt Boscos’ step. “Are you sure that you are ready to come back? It hasn’t been that long. How’s the shoulder? And don’t say that the doctor released you. I’m asking you what you think, not what he thinks.”

“Captain, I’m fine. I’ve been doing the physical therapy that the doctors recommended. I’ve talked to the department shrink. I honestly do feel ready to go back on the streets. If the department wants to put me on limited duty, that’s their call, I’ll do what is required. But, I feel that I’m ready for duty. I can do my job.” Bosco turned and faced his captain. The two had never been on good terms, their views on conduct varied, but both understood what it took to be a good police officer.

The taller man stood there for a minute. Then he inclined his head toward Bosco. “Then I suggest that you get to work. Duty will be in the station for a couple of days. Then we’ll see about getting you back in your squad.” He turned to leave, then turned back. “Before your partner shots that procedural idiot that’s riding with her now.” Bosco had to laugh at that. The older man left and Bosco headed to the briefing room.

Bosco hurried to the briefing room, knowing he was already late. As he entered the room, the sergeant stopped talking and looked in his direction. Like a kid caught without a hall pass, Bosco waited for the lecture he had heard several times before. He was taken back when everyone in the room stood and applauded. He glanced around the room and located Yokas. Her look told him that, true to her word, she had recounted the events of the day he was shot, so as to place him in the role of hero. It was a role that he did not like or want to be in. He still couldn’t remember too much from that day, so he was very uncomfortable with this display. Bosco’s glare only drew a shrug of Yokas’ shoulders. She seemed to say, “I told you I’d tell it my way.” Bosco surveyed the room, took a small bow and then took a chair. Faith watched Bosco cross the room and take a chair behind her. The color in his cheeks told his embarrassment, but the gleam in his eyes told her that he was pleased that the watch was glad to have him back. For some reason, Bosco did not feel that he was well liked at the station. He could be pretty obnoxious at times, but he did his job and took care of his partner. That counted for a lot in this business. His perception that people did not like him probably accounted for his cavalier attitude toward procedure. She knew she would pay later for his embarrassment, but it had been worth it to see him draw himself up straighter and enter the room without the strutting walk that he so often used.

Briefing ended without further interruption. Within ten minutes, everyone had collected their gear and headed to their duty assignments. Several people came up to Bosco to welcome him back and ask how he was doing. In the crowd, Faith was able to slip out without the condemnation she knew was coming. She was only delaying the inevitable, but she’d deal with that when the time came. At the moment she had another problem to deal with. She could see Whitney waiting at the squad. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and released it. She headed through the door to her temporary partner. Very temporary.

__9:30 pm ___

“55-Charlie”

John Sullivan keyed the mike on his left shoulder. “55-Charlie”

“55-Charlie. 10-34 at 34252 E King St. at the bar.”

“55-Charlie. 10-4 dispatch” He glanced over at Ty Davis as he logged the call in the logbook

“Fight at the bar?” Davis questioned.

“Yeah. They’re getting a late start tonight.” Darkness had descended on the city. Only a deep purple in the western sky hinted at the day gone. As Sully and Davis pulled up in front of the bar, lights flashing, several patrons were exiting. Sully could tell by their attitude they were trying to escape the fight within. Davis reached for the door handle.

“Davis, hold up a minute.” Sully reached for his mike again. “55-Charlie requesting backup at King for 10-34 call.”

Dispatch acknowledged the request and Sully nodded to his partner. As he exited the squad and headed for the door, he was vaguely aware of dispatch putting out a call for a backup to their location. Yokas in 55-David answered the call and estimated arrival in three minutes. Sully nodded, and then turned to his partner. “ OK. Let’s see what’s going on.”

Sully stepped through the door, closely followed by Davis. He saw exactly what he expected. There were several men fighting in the back of the bar. The bartender turned as they came in. He half pointed to the back with both hands. “They were watching the ball game. Fight broke out over a pass interference call on Denver. Giants had them down ‘til then. Denver scored and won and the fight started.” The bartender shook his head. “It’s going to take more than you two”

To himself, Sully thought, “It’s going to take more than the four of us.” To the bartender, he said. “No problem. We’ll handle it.“ Again he called dispatch, “55-Charlie to dispatch. We are going to need a bus and a wagon on King. We have ten to twelve involved in a brawl.” Once again dispatch acknowledged and put out a call.

Yokas acknowledged the call to King St. and flipped on her lights. “Sully knows this area pretty well, so when we get inside, follow his lead. If he’s knocking heads, you do the same. We’ll sort them out after we have control of the situation. Is that understood?” Faith eyed the young redheaded officer.

“Shouldn’t we assess the situation ourselves? We might be able….” he started

Yokas interrupted Whitney in mid-sentence. They were rounding the corner and she pulled up behind Sully’s unit. ”Hey, what did I just say? You follow Sully’s lead. Don’t think-just follow our lead, Whitney.” She jumped from the car and headed into the bar. As she entered, the noise of the fight assaulted her ears. In the back of the room, she saw Sully leaning against the pool table with a man pinned beneath him. Another man was on the ground under Sully’s feet-literally. The police officers’ right foot was on the mans’ back. Davis wasn’t making out as well. He had taken a left to the jaw just as Faith got to the back of the bar. His head snapped back, but he did not go down. If anything, the blow angered more than injured the young cop. He came back at his assailant with a punch to the stomach, followed by an uppercut to the chin that rocked the man back on his heels. If his friends had not been standing behind him, the man would have hit the floor without feeling anything for hours. The three men lay down their cohort down and then stepped up in front of the rookie officer. Davis drew himself up and prepared to be overpowered by numbers. Yokas was suddenly at his shoulder, stick out and ready.

“OK, gentlemen. Let’s go. I’ve been wanting to crack somebody’s head for two weeks now. So, who’s going to be first?” Yokas had her face and posture sat for the coming fight.

Davis peeked over at Faith and saw the glint in her eyes. It said a lot about her mood. He was sure that she was dead serious about breaking heads if the men decided to fight. Working with Bosco must have rubbed off on her. Ty looked at his partner to see Sully grin.

“Whitney! Get over here and cuff these guys. I don’t think they’ll be giving you any trouble.” Sully applied pressure to both men. “Isn’t that right boys?” Tired and bloody, both nodded their heads in response. Whitney approached and took charge of the two men. Sully took a position behind the three men who confronted Davis and Yokas. “OK. Now that the odds are even, what’s it going to be? The choice is yours. You are all going to jail. You can go walking or you can be carried, but you are going.”

The three men looked from the officers stone faces to each other and back again. As one, they stepped back, towards Sully, and interlocked their hands on top of their heads. Sully relaxed slightly and reached for some zip locks he had stuck in his belt before coming in. “Done this before, have we boys?” Yokas and Davis came over and helped to restrain the men.