Attached to Fifteenth, Twentieth, and Nineteenth Regiments, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.
For three years, the 1st Company Sharpshooters, known as the Andrew Sharpshooters, was organized at Lynnfield, Mass., in August, 1861. The original company numbering 98 men, under Capt. John Saunders of Salem,
and was mustered into the service and left the State Sept. 2, 1861. The men were armed with telescoped rifles. The company was first assigned to Gen. Lander's Brigade, which formed a part of Gen. Stone's force at Poolesville, Md. In a skirmish near Edwards' Ferry, Oct. 1st and
2nd, the company demonstrated its efficiency in action. It remained on the upper Potomac under Gen. Lander until his death in March, 1862, then served for a time under Gen. Shields. During the siege of Yorktown in April, 1862, the company became attached to the 15th Mass. Regt. of Gorman's Brigade, Sedgwick's Division, Sumner's (2d) Corps. With this command the sharpshooters served through the Peninsular campaign, the Antietam campaign, and until the following spring.
At Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862, it shared the fortunes of the 15th Regiment, losing Captain Saunders and let Lieutenant Berry and 8 men killed or mortally wounded.
By the end of December the company had been reduced by casualties to 18 men present for duty. On Dec. 9, William Plummer of Cambridge, Mass., arrived with 40 recruits and took command of the company. When the pontoon bridges were laid Dec. 11, at Fredericksburg, the 1st Sharpshooters did valuable service in keeping down the fire of the Confederate marksmen on the enemy's side of the river and on the 13th were deployed on the outskirts of the city, their fire directed toward the artillerists on the heights. At Chancellorsville the sharpshooters were attached to the headquarters of Gibbon's (2d) Division, Couch's (2d) Corps, and with that division remained at Fredericksburg, skirmishing, but meeting small loss. At Gettysburg on July 2 and
3, 1863, they were again attached to Gibbon's Division and were engaged with loss on the Union left
About the middle of August, 1863, the company was attached to the 20th Mass. Regt., whose fortunes it followed until June, 1864, being engaged at Bristoe
on Oct. 14, 1863, under 1st Lieutenant Gilbreth, at Robertson's Tavern in the Mine Run campaign in late
November, at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and in front of Petersburg in May and June, 1864. At Petersburg, June 18,1864, it lost
Lieutenant Gilbreth, its only commissioned officer.
Soon after this, the remnant of the Sharpshooters was attached to Co. " K ", 19th
Regiment, and was mustered out June 30, 1865, near Munson's Hill on the outer defenses of Washington.