Site hosted by Build your free website today!

The Page Begins Here




In the spring of 1852, I was visiting at uncle Samuel Hazen's. He was living in Crawford County, Pa. Aunt Lucy showed me grandfather's bible, it was some faded; but with uncle's help, we made out the faded parts. Until this time, I had been told but little more than their names. Benjamin Hazen, father's cousin, had a record of the family down to 1830. We have learned from that. Benjamin Hazen, the tanner, I knew as a kind father, the place and time of his birth and where he had resided, until 1852. I then learned my father's financial standing from aunt Lucy. While in Meadville, Pa. I became acquainted with the Rev. James H. Hazen, he was from Mercer County, Pa.

I have learned from Tracy E. Hazen of Thomaston, Conn., that we are descendants of the early settlers of America. The name came from England.


The following history of the Hazen family was written by Benjamin F. Hazen for the Hazen-Barrett reunion held in Clymer, N. Y. in 1906.


Before 1700, (1638) Edward Hazen settled in Rowley, Mass. He had a large family. Many of the Hazens claim to be of his descent. Sylvester, one of his sons, built a tannery in Brattleboro, Vt. He had many sons and four daughters. Just before the battle of Bennington, he traded his tannery for a farm at Windhill; his sons having all left him, but Silas, the youngest, to go to the war. Two of his sons, Edward and Jonathan, were killed in the battle of Bennington and two were wounded, Issac and Benjamin. Issac returned to Windhill. Benjamin remained a hospital steward to the close of the war. The other sons went on with Ethan Allen; but only Samuel and Jesse returned to Windhill. Paul died of wounds at Valley Forge, the others were killed in the war.

Silas, my grandfather, was born in the summer of 1765. When he was 13 years old, he went to Bennington to learn the shoemaker's trade. After he had learned the trade, they gave him a kit of tools and the hammer he had learned the trade with.

Benjamin Hazen, son of Sylvester, settled in Shenango County, New York, in 1786; where he died in 1819. He was a physician. He had five sons and some daughters. Benjamin, the oldest son, must have been born 1776.

In 1786, Jesse and Silas, sons of Sylvester, settled in Herkimer, then Tryon County, New York. Jesse had a large family. He built a foundry for his oldest sons, Sylvester and Jesse; for himself, he built a tannery. Paul, a third son, was the same age of my father. Silas, my grandfather, carried on boot and shoe making. He married Miss Sarah Wilder of Herkimer in the fall of 1786. Uncle Paul was born in 1787. Uncle Silas was born in 1790. Father was born December 6th, 1794. Aunt Harriet was born in 1796 and died in 1800. Uncle Samuel was born in 1798. Aunt Minerva was born in 1800 and died in Sherman, N.Y. in 1862. Aunt Sarah was born in 1802 and died at Edinboro, Pa. in 1846. Uncle Charles was born July 10 th, 1810. They were all born in Herkimer Village. Grand mother died when uncle Charles was but two days old. He was named Charles Wilder for great grand father Wilder.

In 1821, the sons of Jesse sold their foundry and with two younger brothers joined the Mohawk colony for the North West Territory. The first news was from Olean, N.Y. They bought lumber, made a fleet and started down the Allegany. The last news was, they had joined the Albany colony below Cincinnati. I saw, in THE METAL WORKER, that there is a Hazen Iron Company now in Indiana.

A few years later; Issac, brother of Jesse and grand father, came from Vermont. Samuel, their brother, stayed on the farm in Vermont; where some of his descendants still remain. Issac stayed a few days with them and then went on to Shenango; after staying a few days left for Ohio. The women traveled on horseback carrying children. The men driving cows, sheep and oxen with carts loaded with household goods, poultry and pigs.

I Met the Rev. James H. Hazen in 1852. He said, his grand father came from the east at an early day. He migrated in the usual way of those days, with carts, oxen, horses and farm stock. In this way they made 10 miles a day. The Indians were friendly. He was the first.

Uncle Paul, at the age of 14, went to work on the farm of his uncle Benjamin, where he worked until the war of 1812. I do not know how long he was in the war, but he drew a land warrant. All were soldiers in those days; every community had a squad. A number from each squad were ordered and kept until allowed to go home. After the battle of Sacket's Harbor, his captain, was allowed to take his company and go home. He returned to Shenango. While on his uncle's farm he married Miss Anna McMullen. Lonson, their oldest son, married Miss Lewis, while working for my father. After his mother died, he lived with my father until he went to Michigan; where he died in 1852. They had two children; as I learned from Mrs. Hula Brown, her sister. Elias died in 1845, in North East, Pa., he left no children. Charles married Miss Jane A. Jones of French Creek, N.Y. in 1858. She was born in Canada. Charles left two children, George and Melissa. He bought and paid for 110 acres of land in Mina before the Civil War. In 1869 he traded 50 acres for 115 acres and afterwards paid the difference. He died on his farm in Mina, Chautauqua County, N.Y. October 6th, 1879; where his widow and children, and grand children live.

There children of Uncle Paul, Lonson,. Elcie, and Charles were born in Shenango County. Thomas, Daniel, Sarah, Orlando, and William were born in Mina, Chautauqua County, N. Y.

Thomas went with his father-in-law to Canada, soon after he was married. In 1879, he returned with a daughter. Two of his sons Joseph and Robert came afterwards. When last heard from, they were in Nebraska. Thomas died in 1880, in Warren County, Pa. He left six children.

The remaining history of uncle Paul and his family will be found in the history of Benjamin the tanner.


In the spring of 1820, Benjamin, Issac and Sylvester came to Mina. They brought their mother with them; their father having died in Shenango the winter before. Uncle Paul came with them.

Edward their brother, came to Mina in 1827; their mother died at that time.

Edward then returned to Shenango. He was a physician. Another brother remained on the farm and some of their descendants yet remain.


As soon as he could handle a hoe, he worked on grand father's 10 acre lot; so did uncle Paul; as teachers in those days had no faculty to learn stammering children. He was in the war of 1812 and was sent to Plattsburg. The remaining history of grand father and his children will be found in the history of my father. It is to be remembered that the younger children lost their mother in childhood, but none have been criminals, and they have done well in their last years.


He and his cousin Paul being the same age went to school together, when they were 14 years old, they had a good, common school education. They then went into the tannery. Father now went to live with his uncle Jesse. When they were 18, they had learned the trade.

Jesse, their father and uncle, gave each a French silver watch; the price was 150 dollars. It was over three inches in diameter.

After they were 18, he gave them all they could make, this was the year 1812.

Father stayed until 1822. In the spring of that year, the leather of the years before, being all sold, concluded to go to the North West Territory. He found he had saved over 3,000 dollars. Next be bought a six years old bay mare and saddle of his uncle Jesse. Then his uncle gave him his grand father's currying knife and steel and told him to keep them to use. They were as good as new. He bought a green shaving knife and prepared for the journey. He then started on horseback for the west.

He traveled 25 miles a day and arrived at Westfield the last of May 1822. The inn keeper informed him of the Hazens in Mina and told him their names. They, being his brother and cousins, he concluded to stop awhile with them. The inn keeper directed him to Kipp's Mill, now Sherman, N. Y. After arriving at Sherman he was directed to Benjamin Hazen's who went with him to uncle Paul's.

It is not surprising why people lost track of their friends, when consider how high postage was in the early days. People would go long journeys to visit relatives rather than pay postage. Mr. Samuel Hawley showed me a letter addressed to Mrs. Miller. It was well kept and readable. It was post marked Amsterdam, N.Y.; postage 50 cents. It was from a relative and he said Mrs. Miller was his sister, and they kept the post office.

After father had visited with uncle Paul, he went and visited his cousins. Benjamin told him that he could show him a piece of land that would suit him and tannage could be easily obtained from the place. He concluded to buy it. He then went to Mayville and bought that lot now owned by Mrs. Tryon and the Douglases, 240 acres. It cost him 3 dollars per acre. A strip of 120 acres on the north was sold to a man by the name of Waters, as I was told by Mr. Hiram Tryon. Waters went back east and never returned.

After he bought the land, he went to live with uncle Paul. They had five children, one a baby. They had been married nine years. Aunt Anna was a bible reader and of Christian character.

Father wrote to grand father and told him to sell what he had and all to come and share with him. He wanted uncles Silas and Samuel to take part of the land for he tanned in the old system. It requires much capital to start a tannery in the old way; for it takes so long to get return from the labor and investment.

Seasoned lumber was not to be found, so he did not start tanning until the next spring. Father hired Mr. Fox of Findley's Lake and other help that summer. Mr. Fox felled the first tree on Douglas's farm; this I was told by him at our first acquaintance. He was the father of George Fox of Findley's Lake.

Then father bought a yoke oxen of Mr. Barlow, who lived on the road to Sheldon's Corner's, this, I was told by him while I was visiting in Mina.

He bought lumber of Kipp & Miller as the road to Sherman, then Kippville, was better than elsewhere. Next he began a pioneer dwelling and barn. The house was built with a room for spinning and weaving. Stoves had not yet reached Mina. A fireplace was made in the room for working in the winter. He hired 20 acres chopped and part of it cleared and sowed wheat. Issac Hazen did his carpenter work. The lumber necessary seasoned, was hauled and put up to dry. In September, grand father, and Uncles Silas, Samuel, and Charles and aunts Minerva and Sarah arrived in Mina. They came by stage to Westfield. The Bromleys came at the same time and lived in part of father's house until they could prepare a dwelling. In 1849, I and Sylvester Bromley, a cousin, our mothers were sisters, made uncle Samuel a visit. He was then living north west of Sherman. During this visit, aunt Lucy told me about the Hazens and Bromleys coming to Mina. Aunt Lucy said that father at one time proposed marriage to her, and she told him yes, if he would give up tanning. He replied, than he would not know what to work at. Uncle Samuel proposed and they were married the next spring. Father wanted uncle Samuel to buy part of land but aunt Lucy did not want to live on a farm. She wanted to go to some village and work at her trade.

Aunt Lucy was a good woman but knew nothing but tailoring and housekeeping. She was a women that love the Lord. After they were married uncle Samuel went to Sherman to live and do team work. He was fond of horses but it was the horse that could pull. He was industrious but liberal to a fact. The older Hazens cared nothing for fast horses. The fall was warm through October and the Bromleys had made them a dwelling.

The timber on the land was easily cleared, being most all beach and maple. Father harvested a good wheat crop the next summer. After that his wheat bin was never empty until he had a new crop ready for the mill. Uncle Silas worked for him that winter and continued on to work for 14 dollars per month. That was the common wages for a year. That same fall, he built a bark mill and hide house. As harness leather was worth 35 cents per pound, there was a good interest on the investment. He bought heavy harness hides and a bark mill from Buffalo. Uncle Samuel did his team work. He bought 2 cows and 10 sheep. After hiring so much it drained on his capital. They saved the ashes and made black salts. They cut down more timber that winter, besides getting out timber for the tannery. It did not require much hay to winter stock; there being much browse. All the chopped land was cleared in the spring for spring crops.

Issac Hazen began work on the tannery, as soon as mild weather came in the spring. In the lower part of the building, he had two water pools, one for working in and the other for washing the skins, also a lime vats a weighing room and a shoemaking room. The tanning vats were out doors. The upper story was divided into two rooms, one for finishing and the other for storing leather. It was frame and placed to extend over the tan yard.

When the third year came around, his money was all gone, but he was established and did not owe a cent to any one. He now made his living from the farm and the tannery, Aunt Minerva did his spinning and weaving. The store bill was small and paid with socks, mittens and yarn made of wool taken from skins bought to the tannery, and some chickens and butter paid the bill. Eggs were so low, it was more profitable to use them.

Some time after this Aunt Sarah married William O. Graves and went to live at Edinboro, Pa. Uncle Silas married Miss Emily Pope of North East, Pa. She was well liked by the older Hazens. Father then let Uncle Silas work the farm on shares and paid him for clearing all the land he wished, and he could have all the black salts. The rest of the Bromleys came afterwards. The Hazens and Bromelys were strangers before meeting in Westfield.

Early in the year 1830 grand father Griffith and Mother came to Mina, Father married Miss Elizabeth soon after. About the same time, Issac and Sylvester went to the North West Territory, near Iowa. Benjamin, at the same time, went to Cornplanter, Pa. and went to Iowa in 1844. Uncle Samuel went with him to work in a furnace; so did Hiffins Bromely; his wife was my Mother's sister.

Diana, my sister was born, May 7th, 1831 and died; Feb. 20th, 1845. I was born December 31st, 1834. Aunt Minerva had gone to Mr. Osborne's to live. Mrs. Osborne, just before she died, requested her to stay with the children, which she did.

In the fall of 1834, father had a big stock of leather. He concluded to enlarge the tanyard and have it all under cover in order to work in hides during the winter.

Uncles Samuel and Higgins returned from Pennsylvania. Father gave them a job to clear land and make black salts with Uncle Silas. Uncle Samuel's folks had two children; Samuel Wilder and Ester, their two older children died. Aunt Anna died during the last five years and Uncle Paul had married again. Her maiden name was Snedeker. I have been told by neighbors said, they always found a friend in Uncle Benjamin and Aunt Betsy.

During the time Uncle Charles married Mrs. Elizabeth Coe. Her maiden name was Barnhart. They had no children of their own, but their hours was never without a child. They lived two years in Mina and Uncle Charles worked at shoemaking. Aunt Elizabth's health was poor and they returned to Pennsylvania. They lived in Butler and Crawford Counties. Aunt Elizabeth ought to have been named Martha Dorcas, she was fretful, yet she was fond of children. I hope to meet her and all my Aunts above.

Bringing all to December 1834, we find Uncle Samuel in the house Uncle Charles had moved out of and Aunt Polly and her family went into finishing room in the tannery, to stay until spring. By the first of January 1835, father had sold all of his leather. It was to be taken away and paid for the next week. He has $800 dollars in money and lumber to build a house and finish the tannery. He was now called a rich man, and was assessed at 3,000 dollars. The tannery was burned the second night after I was born. There was but one solution. Father had intended to put in 40 new vats and tan mule leather. Grandfather Griffith worked in the tannery that day, trimming and jointing vat plank. Father had 2600 lbs. of leather tied up and weighed, and from the number of tiers there would be a full ton yet to tie up. The day was mild and there was no fire before in the tannery. There was a barrel half full of fish oil and the shavings and plank trimmings was by the barrel. There could be no other way; some one had been down for water and had thrown burning candle snuff in the shavings. The fire was discovered at 10 o'clock, and by the time they reached the tannery the leather room was full of flames. Grandfather's hammer was all there was left in the morning. 1600 dollars would be low estimate for the leather. It was burned the second night after I was born. It was a great loss. He would have rebuilt, but his cousin Benjamin was up on business from Pennsylvania. He thought it would be best for him to come down there and build. He accordingly went down with him and bought in Troy, Crawford County, Pa. and build again. When he came back he least the farm to Uncle Silas for 20 years provided he did not wish to return, and in that case, he could work it on shares or buy a part of it if he wished. Aunt Lucy wanted to go to Sherman to live and Uncle Samuel had gone to work in an ashery.

In 185 I was visiting in Mina. I asked Elice Cave about grandfather's illness, I wished to know more about it. She said, he had lost his mind and was not hard to care for. It was softening of the brain; something many have at seventy years of age. He died with Uncle Silas in the spring of 1835. Father had moved to Pennsylvania. He came back in the spring after cows and sheep, and we all came with him. Grandfather died while we were there. Sarah and Elias, Uncle Paul's children came home with us. Elias went back, but Sarah stayed until the next spring. Daniel, Sarah Hunt and Elcie came to make us a visit. Elice stayed with us for a year. Elice stayed until James Cave came and she returned with him. they were married soon after. They had a large family, but only three are now living. Elice died in Mina in 1886. William married Miss Elarda Fox of Mina, she died in 1873. They had three daughters; Jenny married F. M. Tryon, and Carrie married Fred Douglas. Note: "Maude the baby at the time of her mother's death went to live with Mr. and Mrs. Augustus Peabody of Ripley and took the name of Peabody. She married Frank Wolfe." William Cave, for a second wife, married Miss Mary Stanton of Chautauqua. They had three daughters, Bertha and Ruth now living. Bertha married Dell Skellie, and Mable married Harvey plumb and died soon after. Note: "Ruth Cave died." William and Franklin Cave were in the Civil War. Franklin died from a wound received at Gettysburg. The daughters of James Cave were Mariet, married George Lake and Sarah married Adonijah Tagart.

In the fall of 1841, Mr. Sturdevant rapped at our door. Father bade him to come in. He opened the door and said I am Sturdevant. Father rose to his feet and said, we will take care of the horse. It had been raining and had turned to snow. When they came in Mr. Sturdevant asked what is your last news from Mina, Father said, Elice's marriage. The reply was, then I have bad news to tell you. He told us Aunt Emily had been dead over three years. After supper, father went to the shop, but invited him to stay the next day. Next morning they when to the shop. Mr. Sturdevant stayed a few minutes and went out. Father went out and saw him getting on his horse to go away. Then he found writing on the snow, "Your farm in Mina has been sold for taxes." By night the snow was all gone and we had some fine weather. The next morning father went to see if it could be redeemed. At noon, he found Uncle Silas, Uncle Silas was a stammerer and could hardly talk; for this reason he failed to find us. Uncle Silas gave his two children, John and Harriet to their grandfather. He educated them. John became a physician and Harriet a teacher. She taught until she became advance in years. They lived in Michigan. I was told this by a comrade who marched with John through Georgia.

Uncle Silas was married again to a woman in Concord, Pa. Next day father arrived at James Cave's before noon; he found the folks all well. Uncle Samuel's had two more children; Elizabeth and Horace. It was hard for laboring people to live. Banks were everywhere failing and their notes would become worthless. Uncle Samuel was working in Buss and Parker's ashery. Aunt Lucy was a good tailoress and together they made a living but it was all they could do. Aunt Polly's folks were in distress. Father told them that he would send for them and started for home the next day. It was no better until after 1860. Everybody was grumbling and Lincoln's election saved the nation from anarchy.

Father sent for Aunt Polly immediately. Three days later, they were at our home. It was a warm winter and they soon had a dwelling. One evening Aunt Polly said, it was a wonder that Benjamin did not commit suicide. Why he did not commit suicide, Mother said, no danger; he thinks to much of Benny for that. What did he say, when he came home? Betsy; it is all gone, but I do not own a cent to anybody and I can sent Benny to college. If we had known of Emily's death we would have gone back to Mina. Samuel told him, the farm was well stocked when Emily died. Silas was not to blame for nobody knew where it went. I never fret before Benjamin. We make our own clothing, I spin and weave it. We raise flax for summer wear. Mrs. Tipton's sister does all my sewing and I pay her with weaving bills. As I make our bread, our store bill is small. The spinning wheel was heard in every house.

Daniel Hazen married Miss Sarah Hunt. In the winter of 1844, Daniel , Sarah and Aunt Jane, Uncle Paul's second wife, made us a visit. During this visit, Daniel asked father if he knew anything about their ages; for they, he said, could not agree. Father replied, your Mother asked me to make a record; I told her to bring her bible and I would make it for her. She died soon after. Father took Orlando and Sarah to his home. It was in the days of quill pens. There were many good readers that could not write because teachers did not like to make pens. It was hard for children to learn to write.

Mother died March 20th, 1844. Uncle Silas' second wife died about the same time. He married Miss Rhoda Hill for a third wife. He died in the fall of 1857. On son by his third wife survived him.

Benjamin G. Hazen, son of father;s cousin Benjamin, came to Troy, Crawford County in 1843; where he lived until 1865. He and father worked the farm and tannery together. Father's cousin Benjamin went to Iowa in 1844.

In May 1846, father went to Iowa and left me with Uncle Charles. He was to carry on the farm and tannery with Benjamin G. Hazen. The first news was, that it was a good country, but he was coming back to sent Benny to school in Meadville. The next news was; cousin Benjamin is dead. He died with malaria, August 26, 1846. It was epidemic.

Esther, daughter of Uncle Samuel, married Levi Ross of Plum, Pa. in 1847. They brought word of the death of Aunt Jane, Uncle Paul's second wife; a son and daughter survived her. The daughter died a few years later. William George Hazen is the only one of Uncle Paul;'s children now living. He married Miss Margaret Emerson of Rome, Pa. The had four children; Emerson Dewitt Hazen is the oldest, Uncle Paul died in Mina, in the fall of 1860. Sarah, Uncle Paul's daughter, married Mr. Jonathan Barrett. She died October 23rd, 1883. Mr. Barrett died some time before. Charles, Franklin, Mrs. Farrar, Frederick and Ida, their children now living; Chancey died in 1897.

Orlando, Uncle Paul's son by his first wife, died in Wisconsin some time ago. Daniel Hazen died in Mina, in March 1887. He lived in Chautauqua County all his life. Sarah, his second wife died 122 years afterwards. They left no children.

Samuel W. Hazen, Uncle Samuel's son, married Miss Eliza McGinnis of Westfield, New York. They had five children, Alexander, William, Melville and Rosell. His first wife died in 1862. The daughter died in 1865. For a second wife he married Miss Ross of Tryonville. They have a large family. They live on a farm near Hydetown, Pa. Elizabeth, daughter of Uncle Samuel, married Richard H. Brumaghim and lives near Geneva, Ohio.

Horace, son of Uncle Samuel, served in the Civil War and now lives in the West, when last heard from.

Aunt Lucy, Uncle Samuel's wife, died in 1858. Uncle Samuel died about 12 years ago. Esther, their daughter, died about the same time and near the same place. Aunt Eliza his wife died in 1883 at Townville, Pa. they left no children.

George W., son of Uncle Silas and Aunt Rhoda, his third wife, was born in Erie County, Pa. in 1846. He lives near Titusville, Pa. Samuel Wilder Hazen died last fall, near Hydetown, Pa. (1905-7).

Benjamin G. Hazen died two years ago (1904 ?). Rachel, his wife, her maiden name was McClintock, died the year before at Venango, Pa. (1903). Benjamin F., son of Benjamin the tanner, I left Troy, the home of my babyhood in the fall of 1847. I stayed in Titusville, doing chores for my board. The next summer I went to school six months at Chase's Mill. I chose a guardian, the next winter. Aunt Elisa advised me to choose S. M. Bromley., The bail ruled him and I lost most all I had by the unless Orphans Court sale. I lived at Sugar Lake with William F. McDill. I stayed with him two years and went to school each winter. In the winter of 1851-1852 I went to a select school in Titusville. Next spring I worked on a saw mill at Hydetown. When my two months were ended Charles Bread called to see me. They told him to call at 12 o'clock. He told them, they said, that father had been a rich man, but only $325. was all that was left. He told them, they said, it was caused by one of your Aunts. I explained, father lost by the death of Aunt Emily. The next day, I visited Uncle Samuel. Aunt Lucy talked the Hazen story all over. Next day, I visited Uncle Charles. We talked about the Orphans Court sale, he said, I ought to break it. Next day, I visited Aunt Polly. She thought the tannery was burned by a coal from grandfather's pipe. Our other talk has been told. I next visited Cates Hazen, he said, I could break the sale, but it was best to use my money in school. I next went to Meadville. I was there most of the time for four years. It has made me a good citizen; to fads, I have never listened. I married Miss Emma T. Jones, sister of Charles' wife, September 15th, 1863. I have three children, Ida, Charles and Arthur; also five grand children. Emma, my wife, died in Mina, October 20th, 1883. I was in the army 82 days. I am with my son Charles in Clymer, New York.

Yours truly,
Benj. F. Hazen

NOTE: About two miles east of Findley Lake, New York on the Sherman Road is the small hamlet of Mina Corners, New York. In the Mina Town minutes in the 1820's it mentions that both Benjamin (father of Benjamin F. Hazen) and Isaac served as "Overseers of Highways" in Mina. Two names which were the first settlers of Mina was Skinner and Hazen. At one time in Mina Corners there was a tavern (1827), bank, dry good store, hardware store, druggist, stage coach inn, cheese factory, creameries, butter tubs and shingle mills, wagon maker and blacksmith. The area was entirely agricultural, the village formed the hub of an extensive dairy farming area, where even though mills existed for the timber and milling trades. There where two main areas of settlement Findley Lake and Mina Corners. The centers of trade in the area later shifted to Findley Lake and Sherman with the coming of the railroad, at the expence of Mina Corners. All that is left of Mina Corners is one church, a cemetary, and a dozen homes in the immediate area. One of the early industries of Mina was tanning, distilling, the manufacturing of black salts and shingles (shingle mills). The Hazen family operated these various industries. The Whiskey from the Hazen's distillery sold for 25 cents a gallon. The old Hazen house still stands north of Mina Cornors were Interstate I-17 goes over the family grave year and the graves of Paul Hazen and his immedate family. The rest of the family members are buried in the cemetary in Mina Corners.

My great grandfather William George Hazen who was born in Ripley, New York ,18 April1838 ; married at Union City, Pa., 10 September 1864, Margaret Emerson, born in Crawford County, Pa., 3 November 1844, daughter of William and Jane (Hutchinson) Emerson. They lived in Waterford, Pa. They had four children; Emerson DeWitt, born at Concord, Erie County, Pa., 1 April 1866, Elnora, born in Crawford County, Pa. 19 December 1868, May born at Mina Corners, New York, 7 November 1871 and Daniel aka Henry L. born in Washington township, Erie County, Pa., 7 September 1878. Emerson Dewitt Hazen who married Linnie Mae King of Waterford, Pa. They had three children; Theodore Roosevelt (Theodore married Stephine Josephine (------) they had three children; Theodore R., John Richard, and John Emerson), Opal Esther (Opal married Sarkes Margosian, they had two sons; Albert and Harry, and Thora Ruth (Thora married Sarkes Boyajain they had one son William). The second oldest Elnora who married William Crittenden of Waterford, Pa., they had one daughter Margaret (Maggie) May (Larson). May married Irving Darwin Kendall of Waterford, Pa., they had one daughter Mabel Ione. They moved to Ponkapoag, Massachusetts. And Daniel aka Henry L. Hazen who remained unmarried all his life.

In searching for links to my family ancestors I have discovered that some Hazen family decendents operated Hazen's Mill in Fairview, Crawford County, Pa., and Hazen's Mill in Frisco on the Connaquesing Creek in Beaver County, Pa.

Some years ago, Mr. Stanley S. Hazen is up dating and making corrections to Tracy Elliot Hazen's Book "The Hazen Family in America." His address is: Stanley S. Hazen, Post Office Box 6282, Charlottesville, Virginia 22906-6282, (804) 963-9090.

Why the Dragon on the top of these pages? No connection to the family. I just liked it. I found it in a medieval site, saved it, and used it. The title fonts are the village from the old "Prisoner" TV series. I have changed some of the backgrounds on some of these pages to make them easier to read.

Theodore R. Hazen
Theodore R. (10), Theodore R. (9), Emerson Dewitt (8), William George (7),
Paul (6), Silas (5), Edward (4), Samuel (3), Edward (2), Edward Hazen (1).
Thomas Hassen, John Hasson, William Hasande, Richard Hassand...
John Hassand, William Hassand, Thomas Hassand
Hugh Haysand, Thomas Haysand, Will Haysand, Hugh de Heisende (Heisand).

Copyright 1996 by T.R. Hazen