National Register Nomination, Form Information for an Old Mill.
United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service
The mill race over flow is just to the right out of the photo. Mr. Watt
(called "Wattie" by his friends) was the 3rd miller who worked
at Peirce Mill during the 1938 to 1958 period when the mill was grinding
flour for the White House and the Government cafeterias. Raymond Watt began
working at the mill in 1941 at the miller and then became head miller (before
the war ended) until he retired in December of 1958. After that he came
to the mill on weekends through into the mid-1960's (as long as his health
would permit it) to ad stories and color to the mill that was no longer
operatering. The above information found in the sections: "Number 8.
Description" and "Number 9. Significance" was presented
to the pubic from the time of the first restoration as Peirce Mill site
Return to Home Page
Copyright 2001 by T. R. Hazen