All Rights Reserved
One of the most helpful genealogical resources for researchers of the Cleveland and Cleaveland surnames is the three-volume set of The Genealogy of the Cleveland and Cleaveland Families compiled by Edmund Janes Cleveland and Horace Gillette Cleveland and copyrighted in 1899 in Hartford, CT. Although there are some errors and omissions, especially for the Southern Line, we are indeed indebted to these men for providing such an informational foundation for our research. We can surely appreciate the Herculean project this work must have been at a time when the gentlemen were gathering material without the modern conveniences that technology provides for us.
Only six hundred copies of the set were printed in 1899. Original copies may now be found in certain libraries. Although the volumes were, at one time, available through interlibrary loan, the pages are now too frail to allow for that kind of distribution. However, reprints of these volumes may be obtained from Higginson Books. Further information is available in posted material at the Cleveland Family Forum.
Edmund Janes Cleveland, a Northern Liner, was descended from Moses and Ann Winn Cleveland: Moses Cleveland > Moses Cleveland > Ichabod Cleveland > Benjmain Norton Cleveland > Benjamin Norton Cleveland > Joseph Cleveland.
The son of Joseph and Phebe Ann Denman Cleveland, Edmund was born 25 Nov 1842 in Elizabethtown, NJ. On 20 Dec 1866, at Elizabeth, NJ, he married Sarah Elizabeth Bragaw, the eldest daughter of Isaac A. and Elizabeth Meigs (Way) Bragaw. Sarah was born 18 Jun 1843 in Hartford, CT.
Five children were born to Edmund and Sarah:
Henry Cleveland was born 17 Nov 1867 in Newark, NJ. He died 9 Aug 1868 in Hartford, CT.
Harriet Josephine Cleveland was born 20 Dec 1868 in Newark, NJ. She was married in Hartford, CT, 20 Jun 1888 to George Allen King. At the time of the 1899 genealogy, Harriet and George had three children: Louis Cleveland King, born 18 Mar 1889 in Hartford, CT, died 19 Mar 1889 in Hartford; Dorothy Cleveland King, born 4 Jun 1890 in Hartford; and Louis Cleveland King (again), born 26 Sep 1892 in Hartford.
Edmund Janes Cleveland was born 12 Jun 1874 in Elizabeth, NJ. In 1899 he was unmarried and living at home in Hartford, CT. After graduating from Hartford Public High School 24 Jun 1898, he entered Trinity College in Hartford 22 Sep 1898. After his graduation from college, his plan was to enter General Theological Seminary in New York, NY, to prepare for the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal Church. On 22 Jun 1899, he was licensed as a lay reader in the diocese by Rt. Rev. Chauncey Bunce Brewster, Bishop of Connecticut.
Isaac Bragaw Cleveland was born 18 Sep 1880, Elizabeth, NJ. He died in Elizabeth 21 Jul 1881.
From Nov 1853 to 30 Sep 1854, Edmund attended Tuscarora Academy, Academia, Juniata County, PA. From 1855 to April of 1858, he attended the collegiate school of Frederick W. Foote at Elizabeth, NJ.
In 1856, when the abolition of slavery became the issue, he took sides with John Charles Fremont and William Lewis Dayton, who were the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates, respectively. When Abraham Lincoln and Hannibal Hamlin were nominated in 1860, Edmund joined the Wide Awakes of Upper Rahway, NJ, where he then lived. In February of 1861, he had the pleasure of hearing Lincoln speak at Elizabeth on the President-elect's way to his inauguration.
Soon after Fort Sumter was attacked 12 Apr 1861, Edmund Janes Cleveland joined Captain James Wilson's company of volunteers at Elizabeth, NJ. Although the intention was only for three months of daily drilling, the company was enrolled as Co. A, Second NJ Volunteers at Camp Olden, Trenton, NJ, 22 May 1861, for a period of three years. However, because of a continuing illness, Edmund was discharged 7 Jun 1861.
Still resolved to serve his country, Edmund was mustered into the U.S. Army at Trenton 9 Aug 1862 for three years in Co. K, Ninth NJ. On 3 Sep 1862, he joined Co. K, then on picket. The Ninth marched from Camp Reno, near Newbern, NC, 11 Dec 1862, at the head of forces commanded by General John G. Foster. Always in the first line of battle, the Ninth greatly distinguished itself at Deep Creek, NC, 12 Dec 1862; South West Creek, NC, 13 Dec 1862; Kinston, NC, 14-15 Dec 1862; Whitehall, Bladen County, NC, 16 Dec 1862; Goldsboro, Wayne County, NC, 17 Dec 1862.
The Red Star Brigade, which included the Ninth, embarked at Moorhead City, Carteret County, NC, 20 Jan 1863, and sailed with the fleet anchored at Port Royal, Beaufort County, SC. On 3 Apr 1863 they embarked to participate in an attack at Charleston, SC. After sailing back to Hilton Head, Beaufort County, SC, April 12, the brigade moved to Morehead City April 16 to the relief of Washington, Beaufort County, SC, which was under siege by the Confederates, who fled at the approach of the Ninth. The Ninth was in further engagements at Free Bridge, Comfort, Jones County, NC, 6 Jul 1863 and at Hills' Bridge, Winton, Hertford County, NC, 26 Jul 1863. Camped at Newport News, VA, 20 Oct 1863, the Ninth re-enlisted and then went home on veteran furlough.
During his furlough, Edmund was recommended for commission in a new regiment. The detachment of the Ninth left in Virginia engaged the enemy at Deep Creek, VA, 7 Feb, 1 Mar 1864. A brigade including the Ninth eventually returned from New Jersey and Massachusetts with fully recruited ranks, the Ninth reaching Portsmouth, VA, 17 Mar 1864. Following an engagement at Cherry Grove, VA, 14 Apr 1864, they sailed to Yorktown, York County, VA, where they encamped 27 Apr. On 4 May, they sailed to Newport News, and on 5 May the brigade sailed at the head of the great fleet containing many monitors and gunboats. Landing at Bermuda Hundred, VA, they opened the Petersburg campaign.
After battles at Port Walthall, VA; Procters, VA; and Swift Creek, VA, the brigade suffered heavily at Drury's (Drewry's) Bluff, VA. General Heckman was made prisoner, Colonel Zabriskie mortally wounded, and Lt. Col. James Stewart, Jr., wounded.
The Ninth worked hard in constructing Butler's fortifications from Appomattox River to James River. After sailing to White House, New Kent County, VA, 1 Jun, they joined the army of the Potomac under the commands of Lt. Gen. Ulysses Simpson Grant and Gen. George Gordon Meade and participated in the battle at Coal/Cold Harbor, VA, from 3-12 Jun. After a 16 Jun battle at Free Bridge, VA, they were in the siege of and battles at Petersburg, VA, from 20 Jun to 24 Aug, when they returned to Butler's line.
When the Christian Association of the Ninth organized 14 Sep 1864, Edmund was chosen secretary. The Ninth, greatly decimated, sailed to Morehead City, NC, 21 Sep. On 20 Oct, Edmund was detailed from clerk to provost-marshal at Beaufort, Carteret County, NC, and rejoined the Ninth at Goldsboro 4 Apr 1865.
Following the surrender of Gen. Joseph Eccleston Johnston at Durham Station, NC, 26 Apr 1865, the Ninth went from Raleigh to Greensborough, Guilford County, NC, to take charge of Johnston's surrendered cannon and other weapons. They also captured the archives of the Confederacy at Charlotte, Mecklenburgh County, NC.
Edmund was discharged from the army 14 Jun 1865 with others by reason of General Orders. With 191 other men, he returned to Trenton, NJ, 22 Jun. The Ninth was mustered out 12 Jul at Greensborough.
Edmund graduated from Bryant, Stratton and Whitney's Mercantile College at Newark, NJ, 6 Nov 1865. He resided at Elizabeth, NJ, to 1 Apr 1867; Newark, NJ, to 1 Apr 1871; Elizabeth again to 1 Apr 1872; Newark again to 1 Apr 1873; Elizabeth again to 17 Mar 1885; and then Hartford, CT, until at least 1899.
He was an accountant to 1871; secretary of the Elizabeth and Newark Horse Railroad Company 13 Oct 1871 to 1 Jan 1884; manager of the Dime Savings Institution of Elizabeth 1875 to 1884; director of the National Fire and Marine Insurance Company of Elizabeth 10 Jan 1876 to 12 May 1898.
Elected 15 Jan 1880, he was a life member of the New Jersey Historical Society. On 1 Feb 1882, he was elected life member of the New England Historic-Genealogical Society, on 9 Nov 1886 life member of the Connecticut Historical Society, and on 15 Mar 1889 corresponding member of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. He was mustered into the Robert O. Taylor Post No. 50, Grand Army of the Republic, Hartford, CT, 21 Sep 1887. On 22 Sep 1887, he took the degree of Master Mason in Lafayette Lodge 100 of the Free and Accepted Masons of Hartford.
Besides his interests in history, Edmund was a numismatist with a collection of coins he had gathered since 1859 and which was sold by catalog at an auction in New York, NY, in 1872. Afterward he remained a collector and possessed an excellent cabinet of one of the largest collections of Washington coins and medals in existence. He also maintained a library of works by Cleveland authors and about genealogy and local history.
Edmind Janes Cleveland passed away in 1902.
Horace Gillette Cleveland, a Northern Liner, was descended from Moses and Ann Winn Cleveland: Moses Cleveland > Samuel Cleveland > Joseph Cleveland > Benjamin Cleveland > Rufus Cleveland > Oren Cleveland > Horace Gillette Cleveland.
The son of Oren and Esther Allen Cleveland, Horace was born 3 Jan 1832 in Winchester, Litchfield County, CT. He married Anna Maria Knapp 5 Jan 1853 at Huntsburgh, Geauga County, OH.
Anna, the daughter of John and Albacinda (Barnum) Knapp, was born 15 Nov 1831 in Danbury, Fairfield County, CT.
Their children were all born in Cleveland, OH: Esther Maria Cleveland, b. 19 Jan 1854, m. Prof. Floyd Baker Wilson 28 Jul 1874 in Cleveland, OH; Edward Horace Cleveland, b. 24 Sep 1855, m. Grace Mansfield Whitney 27 Aug 1881 in St. Andrew's Church, Harlem, New York, NY; and Charles Luther Cleveland, b. 5 Jul 1857, d. 14 Jan 1890 Cleveland, OH, m. Anna Green Elmendorf 28 Oct 1884 in St. John?s Collegiate Chapel, Racine, WI.
The following biographical account, accompanied by a steel portrait of him, appears in The Biographical Cyclopedia and Portrait Gallery, with an Historical Sketch of the State of Ohio, c1887.
The life of Horace Gillette Cleveland has been one of unceasing business activity, and the greatest portion of it has been identified with the wonderful growth and expansion of the city of Cleveland. He was the youngest of eleven children. His father, Oren Cleveland, being a man of good education and fine literary taste, devoted many years oh his life to teaching, at the same time cultivating a farm. Moses Cleveland, from whom this branch of the family descended, came over from Ipswitch, England, about 1640, and settled in Woburn, Massachusetts; his son Samuel settled in Connecticut in 1693; Oren Cleveland, the father of Horace, removed his family to Ohio in 1839, and settled in Geauga County.
Although raised on a farm and attending district school in the winter, young Cleveland early manifested a strong disposition toward business life. After he was seventeen, he worked for a couple of years as a carpenter and joiner, becoming well versed in the use of tools, and waiting, meanwhile, for some opportunity to begin a mercantile career. When nineteen years of age, he entered the store of Kile, Wilkins & Company, at Huntsburgh, where he remained as general clerk for about a year. Determined to broaden his business education, he came to Cleveland in 1852 and entered a mercantile college for the purpose of perfecting himself in bookkeeping, and at the end of a few weeks he had so thoroughly mastered the science that he was offered the position of tutor in the college, but declined, wishing to connect himself more actively with the business of the city.
Immediately on leaving college, he entered as bookkeeper with Mr. A.M. Beebe, at that time doing a large and profitable business on Bank Street. He remained with Mr. Beebe about a year, and then was employed in the Forest City Bank, organized under the free banking law of Ohio. At the end of about a year, he was prostrated by a severe and lingering illness, which necessitated his resignation, much to the regret of the officers of the institution, for his clerical abilities were of a high order, and joined to a uniformly courteous deportment, made him a general favorite. After his restoration to health, he was employed for a time by the Bank of Geauga, at Painesville, OH, where his skill as an accountant was called into requisition in examining, writing up, and balancing books and accounts that had been neglected for many years. This service done, he returned to Cleveland, and in the spring of 1855 entered the well-known wholesale hardware store of George Worthington & Co., then on the corner of Water and Superior streets, the present site of the National Bank building. He was the bookkeeper and chief clerk of this enterprising and very successful business house for nearly ten years. These were years of close application, and taxed to the utmost a constitution not naturally robust; yet the experience was of great advantage, for by it he was being educated for the more responsible duties the years were to bring to him.
In the fall of 1864 he formed a co-partnership with Joseph H. Brown, Richard Brown, Thomas Brown, and William Bonnell, of Youngstown, OH, under the name of Cleveland, Brown & Company, and opened a large iron and steel warehouse at Nos. 25 to 31 Merwin Street, making heavy hardware a specialty. They imported largely of Swedish iron, English steel, etc. Under Mr. Cleveland?s energetic and capable management, their business operations reached an average of two millions per annum, and their trade extended throughout Northern Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and the upper lakes, and, in some lines of goods, as far east as Boston. The reputation of the house for enterprise and honorable dealing was thoroughly established. There have been several changes of partners during the twenty-two years of its existence, the present firm consisting of H.G. Cleveland, Richard Brown, Peter Marshall Hitchcock, Aaron Morley Wilcox [who married Helen Mary Cleveland +15449], and Martyn Bonnell.
In 1870 Mr. Cleveland was elected president of the Painesville & Youngstown Railroad, a narrow-gauge running from Fairport, on the lake, to Youngstown, built for the special purpose of transporting iron ore from the lake to the extensive iron works at Youngstown, and coal from that region to the lake, being under control of parties engaged in these interests. After about a year he resigned on account of the increasing demands of his regular business.
Exemplary in all transactions, whether of a public or private character, an active, earnest man, with a keen insight into the multiplied details of such a life, and with rare judgment to meet them, he is the recognized head of one of Cleveland's most enterprising and substantial commercial houses. In politics he is a conservative Republican. He is thoroughly patriotic, and heartily supported the war, giving liberally to all those charitable enterprises that grew out of that struggle. He was for two years in the city council and rendered valuable service on the finance committee. He is a communicant in the Episcopal Church, uniting with Grace Church about twenty-one years ago. He engages actively in its Christian work, cheerfully giving of his time and money to its advancement; indeed, all charitable objects find him a friend. He is a warden of Grace Church, and for several years was one of the standing committee of the diocese.
Horace's wife, Anna Maria Knapp Cleveland, passed away in Cleveland, OH, 19 Jan 1886. Her funeral was held at Grace Church in Cleveland. According to her obituary, "The peculiar sadness which surrounds the death of this good wife and noble mother is that her fatal illness was contracted caring for her sick son, Dr. Charles L. Cleveland. Though the doctor had every care and comfort that skilled nurses could give, the mother?s heart watched and worried over her youngest son till great anxiety brought on nervous prostration. This, together with blood poisoning, brought to a sudden close one of the most gentle and considerate lives that has ever been lived."
In his wife's memory, Horace presented Grace Church with a beautiful memorial window. The design represented two little children protected from the thorns in their journey through life by the outstretched wings of a guardian angel.
Horace himself passed away two years later, 3 Feb 1888, at his home in Cleveland, OH.
Links to Other Clevelands