Return to homepage
I answer questions about the Catholic Faith. INRI33AD@aol.com
Who were the first century Christians?
(What does history tell us?)
Since all of these groups claim the persons in the Bible were of their faith and taught their theology, what is an accurate litmus test? Answer: historical precedent and one simple question. Can any of these groups find any “like thinking” Christians in the 1st century or anywhere in the next 15 centuries to come? Surely if these groups existed in antiquity there must be “someone,” just one person, who espoused their theology. Yet history tells us that there were exactly the same number of Mormons, JW’s and Protestants/BC’s in the first 1500+ years of Christianity. And that number is ZERO. Any history book or encyclopedia demonstrates that there was but one Christian faith in the first millennium, and that was the Catholic Faith. Test this historically as the Holy Bible commands. “Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil” 1 Thess 5:21-22. It’s an easy chore to test and an easier question to answer if one only looks for the historical truth.“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”John 8:32
There were no Mormons in the first 1500+ years of Christianity; these ideas were first espoused by Joseph Smith in the 1830s. They are by definition not apostolic and therefore not Biblical .There were no JW’s in the first 1500+ years of Christianity. These ideas were invented by Charles Russell in the 1870’s. These too are not Apostolic and therefore not Biblical. How about the Protestant belief system with its 20,000+ branches? History tells us that the ideas specific to these belief systems were also absent from the first 1500+ years of Christianity and the first Protestant was Martin Luther in the 16 th century. Again, a non-apostolic belief system. So if all of these belief systems were non-existent in antiquity and even non-existent a mere 500 years ago, how could they have been taught by the Apostles to Christ’s early Church? It’s impossible. How did these ideas get “IN” the Bible if they were not conjured up until the latter half of the second millennium? Again it’s impossible. Since these groups did not exist for 1500+ years to come they all are misinterpreting the Holy Writ. Therefore the ideas specific to these groups are modern ideas and are by definition unbiblical, because no one was there to teach them and write them IN the Bible 2000 years ago. “Test this.” There were no like-minded Mormons/JWs just as there were no Protestants/BC’s in antiquity. Therefore the specific ideas of all of these belief systems are false, and should be rejected as false for the exact same reason: they didn’t exist even 500 years ago much less 2000 years ago to be the teachings of Jesus Christ.They are all inventions of modern man. Don’t believe me? “Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil” 1 Thess 5:21-22. Do a little research and learn what they don’t tell you in the Protestant/BC churches. Protestants/BC aren’t Mormons/JW but all were absent in antiquity.
What of the Catholic Faith? Did it exist in the first millennium or the first century even? History tells us unequivocally yes. Was there one and only one Christian/Universal faith in the first 1000+ years of Christianity? Again, yes. It was first labeled “Catholic” in written form as early as 110 AD by Ignatius of Antioch, a disciple of John the Apostle and 2nd Bishop of Antioch. "Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church" (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 110]). Catholic or Katholikos in Greek means“Universal.”
Crack a history book and discover for yourself that every Christian ever mentioned in the first millennium embraced the whole of the Catholic Faith. Of course they did, it was the only game in town for over 1000 years. Therefore ALL Christians embraced the 7 sacraments Christ instituted, the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, the veneration of Saints and Angels, the one and only Sacrifice of the Mass,the Biblical offices of Bishop, Priest and Deacon, etc. If you were a Christian in these first 1000+ years you too would embrace the Catholic Faith,there was no other. The Holy Bible calls this Church "The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" 1 Tim 3:15
Just because you currently object to the Catholic Faith doesn’t mean the Apostles and Christ’s early Church did not teach it. It just means you have objections to ancient Christianity. Your faith journey has been in the Protestant belief system, which first appeared on planet earth in the 16 th century. And if you are an evangelical/Pentecostal/SDA/Baptist or Bible Christian, you don’t even embrace the teachings of your first Protestants in the 16 th century! Your theology was conjured up even later in human history. Do a little research. Google the history of the Protestant movement and see for yourself that (because of its recent origin), it is impossible for it to be “Apostolic” or “in the Bible.” Anyone can say anything is “in” the Bible. But the real test is: can you name a single Christian in antiquity or even in the first 1500+ years of Christianity who taught your pastors modern ideas? You can’t. Try, but this person does not exist, they were all of the Catholic Faith. Remember, the number of Mormons/JWs/Protestants/BC’s in antiquity is the same: ZERO. Reject all of these belief systems for what they are: modern traditions of man with zero connection to Our Lord Jesus Christ. Reject them all for the exact same reason; they didn’t exist to be the teachings of Jesus Christ.“Test Everything.”
=>Test the as the Holy Bible commands, discover what the early Christian really taught and wrote at: http://www.catholic.com/library/fathers_know_best.asp
Email: INRI33AD@AOL.COM V/R Daniel
"Test this" as the Holy Bible commands:
“Test everything. Hold on to the good, avoid every kind of evil.”
1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
I just want to believe as the Apostles taught Christ’s early Church, no matter where it leads me, and no matter what it costs me. If you desire the same, read“The Promises of Jesus Christ to His Holy Church” at:
Catholic theology comprises the verses not yet underlined in your Bible.
And if you are not sure who invented your pastor's theology, research it historically.
The historical origins of the modern Christian theologies
Catholic Answers: "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" A compendium of basic Catholic beliefs and the Biblicism behind these beliefs. http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp
1. "BIBLE ONLY" CHRISTIAN or "BIBLE BELIEVING" CHRISTIAN?
50 Practices and Doctrines not found in the Holy Bible.
2. Were the first Christians Protestant/Bible Christians, Mormon/J-Witness or Catholic?
See Also: JUST THE TRUTH: 2 Dozen logic and historical facts refuting the Apostolicity and Biblicism of the modern Christian belief systems. "Test Everything" 1 Thess 5:21-22.
3. The "PROMISES OF JESUS CHRIST" to His Holy Church (as recorded in Holy Writ)
4. The Historical Origins & Authors of the Modern Christian Theologies.
5. Seven Reasons Christians Go To Church, Which One Is Yours?
6. Three Questions Your Pastor Won't Answer, because he needs the job.
7. "The 7 Stages of Christian Spiritual Development" What stage are you?
8. An Exercise in Logic, Two Logic Proofs from History 101 demonstrating how the modern Christian theologies did not even exist in the first millennium, making it impossible for Christ and His Apostles to have taught to His early Church.
9. Is Sola Scriptura or the "Bible Only" idea even Biblical? Where does the Bible teach the "SOLA" or the "ONLY" in Sola Scriptura?
10. Modern Christians often ask: "WHAT ELSE IS THERE? What else has Christ's infallible authority besides the Holy Bible?" Featuring the verses not underlined in most Bibles nor taught in modern Christian seminaries or churches.
11. FAITH ALONE (SOLA FIDE): It is a Catholic Position. Have you been taught that Catholics "work their way to Heaven?"
12. "Who is the Bride of Christ?" How do non-Catholics fit into the Body of Christ?
13. Did the BEREANS "Search the Scriptures" and therefore follow the BIBLE ONLY idea?
Or did the THESSALONIANS, who also "Searched the Scriptures?
14. The 3rd Unanswered Challenge for the Non-Catholic Theologies:
Is the Catholic Faith Apostolic? Name just one Catholic doctrine that isn't. Name one doctrine the early Church believed,,,, that the Catholic Faith today *no longer does*. Why can't the modern Christian theologies make the same bold claim?
15. Biblically, did the "Official Teachings or Doctrines of the Catholic Faith" become corrupt or Apostate as your Pastor might teach? Are there verses in the Holy Scriptures that forbid the "Gates of Hell" from overcoming His Church? What does the Holy Bible really say about: "The Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" 1 Tim :15?
16. Is Praying to Saints Biblical? Is the "HAIL MARY" Prayer Biblical? Read the verses not underlined in your pastors Bible nor taught in his church.
17. How Modern Christian are compelled to use and embrace an unbiblical and anti-biblical definition and concept of a Christian Church.
Return to Homepage "A Biblical Case for the Catholic Faith: 3 Fundamental ways the non-Catholic churches depart from the Church of the Holy Bible"