| Leave a blank page in your work book to
make an interesting title page about this topic.
|On the top of the next page in
your book write the following heading:
THE ITALIAN RENAISSANCE -
The re-birth of learning and culture: from 1300 to 1550.
1. Answer the following questions using the webpages provided.
Make sure you use the main words in the question when you are writing your answer.
a) What does the word Renaissance mean?
b) What time period did the Renaissance cover?
c) How did the capture of Constantinople by the Turks when expanding their Ottoman Empire help start the Renaissance.
d) What was Humanism?
(Write out questions e) and f) before you answer them.)
e) The people during the Renaissance studied ideas about the classical arts, literature, poetry, philosophy and science that had been developed by which two great ancient civilisations?
f) During the Renaissance Italy was divided up into a number of city-states like Florence. What were city-states?
g) Read all of the above website and then do this Quiz on:
How the Renaissance Began questions Then write in your book questions 6, 7 and 8 and their correct answers.
h) What does the term 'the Renaissance Man' refer to?
2. Explore an interactive page-turning manuscripts from the Renaissance period.
3. On a new double page in your book design a mind map that explains the different parts of The Northern Renaissance http://www.ducksters.com/history/renaissance/northern_renaissance.php For on-line mind map makers.
4. From the following web site, first visit the link called the Renaissance Man :http://www.mos.org/leonardo/
Then in your book, under a smaller second headng: Leonardo da Vinci, list at least 10 interesting things about his life. Use subheadings in your notes like: His childhood, the 'scary shield'! , his paintings, his inventions, his discoveries.
5. a) Read the following web page and then click the
Inventor's Workshop link at the bottom. http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/
Read the Inventor's Workshop and then click and do the activities at the bottom:
- Visions of the Future (http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/VisionsoftheFuture.html )
- Inventor's Toolbox: The Elements of Machine
- Leonardo's Mysterious Machinery
b.) Using the above sites, write six points in your book under the heading: Leonardo's inventions and discoveries.
6. Go to the following site and do the activities:
- Vanishing Point
( If 'Shockwave' is not yet installed on the school computers, do these activities on perspective at home.)
7. Write about eight points in your workbook under the heading: Artistic developments during the Renaissance.
8. Do the activity at the following site:
9. Do the activity at this site: http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/WhatWhereWhen.html Then print off this blank map of Renaissance Italy. Paste the map in your book. Find the information you need to then label and colour your map- Google/ image search the words: 'map Italian Renaissance'.
10. Do the puzzle at the following site: http://www.learner.org/exhibits/renaissance/fibonacci/