On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
THANKFUL FOR TENNESSEE
- - - - - This Thanksgiving, we should all be grateful for the Tennessee Titans. For two straight weeks, something in their game led to an Arizona advantage the following week. First, they fall to Jacksonville, handing the Jaguars their first victory and eliminating any chance of the Cardinals' trademark humiliation against a winless team. Then, a week later, a head-butting incident against Indianapolis leads to the suspension of a Colts starter for our game.
- - - - - Did it make a difference? Well, I don't closely follow the Indianapolis linebacking unit, but Erik Walden's replacement was completely ineffective in our contest. In fact, Bjoern Werner didn't get his first grass stain until the 4:33 mark in the fourth quarter, with Arizona leading 37-11. When the game was still in doubt in the first quarter, Mendenhall and Ellington repeatedly bounced outside the right tackle towards that spot for large gains. Certainly, Coach Arians' knowledge of the Colts' playbook helped as well, ultimately resulting in the blowout 40-11 victory.
- - - - - But even without the suspension, everything was still breaking right for the Cardinals, coming down with every long pass from Palmer, whether to Fitzgerald, Floyd, Roberts, etc. When we needed eight yards, we got nine. When beaten on coverage, Peterson alertly interferes with the receiver saving a touchdown and ultimately only surrendering a field goal. The Colts had been squeaking by with good fortune on their side, but on Sunday, the horseshoe was on the other foot.
NEXT WEEK, @ PHILADELPHIS EAGLES: The schedule won't get any easier as the Cardinals head east to face the Eagles in Philadelphia. An Arizona win would be the franchise's first five-game winning streak within the same season since 1977. That year, the Cardinals won six straight, beginning and ending with Philadelphia. However, the streak was snapped on the Thanksgiving massacre to Miami, which then started a twelve-game losing streak that took the team decades to recover from. My prediction: Cards win, 23-17.
EIGHTEENTH SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 18th season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my Eighteenth-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at email@example.com;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.