On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
- - - - - With the 48-41 home loss to the New Orleans Saints, the Cardinals' 2016 campaign has come to an inglorious conclusion. There are two games remaining, but devoid of all playoff implications for Arizona, we will need to start looking towards next year. North America's longest championship drought will continue for at least another year.
- - - - - Offensively, the Cardinals put up six touchdowns, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Both teams struggled defensively last Sunday and I am far from convinced that this pattern of scoring will continue. David Johnson continues his streak with 100+ yards from scrimmage for the 14th straight game, setting a new NFL record. Congratulation! Although. . . we did have to artificially burn all our time outs in a hopeless loss versus Carolina to keep the streak alive.
- - - - - While the defense gave up a season-high 48 points, most of my ire is still directed at the special teams. Another missed extra point, awful punting, and offsides penalties on 4th down kicking situations dotted the game tape. This is a pattern, and not just the fault of a single player. It comes down to coaching, and if Bruce Arians is not willing to part ways with his friend, then the Bidwills may need to take matters into their own hands -- interpret that how you like.
NEXT WEEK, @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: This season, the Cardinals have been losing to just about every team against which we have a close record in the all-time series. New England, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Atlanta, and New Orleans all handed us losses. Only Tampa Bay was a victory for the Cardinals. On the other hand, we beat Washington, the team that has handed us more losses than any other except the Giants. Now we play Seattle, where the series remains tied at 17-17-1. My prediction, Cards tie, 24-24.
TWENTY-FIRST SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 21st season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my Nineteenth-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.