On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
NEXT TEAM DOWN
- - - - - In yet another test against a team seeking to catch us from behind in the NFC standings, the Cardinals did not disappoint, defeating Detroit 14-6. With their first six-game winning streak since 1977 and their eighth straight home victory over the Lions, Arizona surges two games ahead in the NFC standings, and three up in the division.
- - - - - The two-game advantage for the #1 seed is currently worth three games, since the Cardinals hold the head-to-head edge over Philadelphia, Dallas, and Detroit, while holding the better conference record over Green Bay. In fact, the Cardinals would have to lose at least THREE times in order to be caught by anyone in the conference; a modest 4-2 finish for a 13-3 record would clinch home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, regardless of who those losses are against.
- - - - - Against the Lions, the Cardinals won with defense, despite losing the turnover battle. Edge rushes by Acho and Okafor supplemented by a variety of blitzing defensive backs kept enough pressure on Detroit's passing game to limit damage over the top. Meanwhile, the interior line held firm once again, buttressed by solid ILB play from Foote, who had his best game since the season opener.
NEXT WEEK, @ SEATTE SEAHAWKS: Yet another tough test looms as the Cardinals return to the site of their most-impressive victory a season ago. While holding virtually all tie-breakers against teams in the East and North, the Cardinals could very easily be passed within the division if they slip up here. However, a win over Seattle would just about end any drama; the earliest the Cardinals could mathematically clinch the division would be next week if we beat Seattle and Atlanta, while the 49ers lose to Washington and the Seahawks-49ers tie on Thanksgiving. My prediction, Cards win, 16-13 in OT.
NINETEENTH SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 19th season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my Eighteenth-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.