On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
EXPECT THE EXPECTED
- - - - - It's not often that the Cardinals win a game they are supposed to win. Of course, that's because they simply haven't been favored very often throughout their history. But even in the rare scenario that has Arizona favored to win, we all know too well what typically transpires: some player on the other team that no one has ever heard of has the game of his or her life, returning the Cardinals to their losing ways.
- - - - - Instead, however, last Sunday found the team enjoying a reversal of fortune. A previously lauded player on the opposing team experienced a career-damaging debacle, elevating the Cardinals to a 4-1 record and sole possession of first place in the NFC West. Washington QB Kirk Cousins threw three fourth-quarter interceptions to devastate his future prospects of becoming a full-time NFL starter thanks to yet another masterful defensive performance where different players have been able to shine week-to-week. Okafor filled in admirably at OLB where our roster keeps taking hits. In the defensive backfield, Powers and Johnson stepped up to add to the turnover margin. One only wonders when Minter will do something worthy of getting singled out in a positive fashion.
- - - - - Ball control has returned to the offensive side of the ball, with Carson Palmer returning to complete an error-free afternoon. Ellington impressed when bouncing outside the tackles, assisted by serviceable blocking by our much-maligned tight ends. Sure, we would like to see more drives capped off by touchdowns instead of field goals, but nonetheless, the sheer number of scoring drives ultimately put the game just about out of reach.
NEXT WEEK, @ OAKLAND RAIDERS: Still, I can't help but worry that this will at some point catch up with the Cardinals. And here we are with another game they are "supposed to win." The difference is that this one is on the road. Also, the Raiders are winless and therefore dangerous and desperate. Furthermore, I will be making a multi-timezone drive to sit in the Black Hole for this one. Could be trouble. My prediction, Cards win, 23-20.
NINETEENTH SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 19th season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my Eighteenth-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at email@example.com;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.