On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
- - - - - Not much mystery here. The Arizona Cardinals simply made too many mistakes to pull out a win in the season opener at Detroit. Three interceptions and a game-changing fumble doomed the team to another 0-1 start.
- - - - - However, for much of the contest, it felt as if anything but an easy victory would be absolutely unthinkable. The Lions dug themselves an early hole on an interceptions return by Bethel, then followed this up with several Cardinalesque special teams plays. A botched punt attempt that should have been taken for a safety was inexplicably brought out to give the Cardinals a short field. Yet, with six ineffective scrimmage plays, Arizona had to settle for only a field goal. Even when the Lions scored, the extra point attempt failed on a bad hold. Good teams find ways to capitalize on these mistakes, and instead of leading by three scores, the Cardinals led by only one point at halftime.
- - - - - By the time the lead was squandered in the fourth quarter, it was clear which team deserved to win. To make matters worse, the Cardinals lost David Johnson for three months, and D.J. Humphries for several weeks. Iupati is also down with an injury, and was a liability on the field last week. Wetzel struggled badly as well and now the offensive line, which appeared to be a strength of ours in the pre-season, has opened up a lot of questions.
NEXT WEEK, @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: The Cardinals trail the all-time series against the Colts, 7-8, and will have a chance to pull even this Sunday. Indianapolis has a few roster issues of their own, but knowing the Cardinals' history against third-string quarterbacks, the outcome is anything but a given. My prediction, Cards win, 27-23.
TWENTY-SECOND SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 22nd season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my 22nd-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.