On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
WEEK 14 -- PLAYOFF UPDATE
To survive playoff elimination through Week 14, the Cardinals need:
- ARI win + loss by either SEA or CRL or ATL
- Losses by CRL + ATL + either DET/GBP
JACK OF A FEW TRADES
- - - - - Special teams, or more specifically, Phil Dawson, stepped up in a large way to end the Cardinals' two-game losing streak, booting through the 57-yard game-winner with one second left against Jacksonville. He also connected on three other field goal, an extra point, and made the touchdown-saving (at the moment) tackle on a long kickoff return.
- - - - - The other story of the game was the play of Blaine Gabbert bolstered by a solid showing by the offensive line against one of the league's best defensive fronts. Certainly there was the tide-turning fumble he relinquished in the fourth quarter, but this was a mistake he was able to overcome on the following drive.
- - - - - Unfortunately, at 5-6, the Cardinals' playoff hopes are nearly extinguished, due in large part to the team being very short on tie-breakers. Seattle has already clinched all tie-breakers against Arizona, as the best we could do is match their head-to-head and divisional marks, but are guaranteed to lose at the common-games step. Although there are other paths, the Cardinals would realistically need to win out and have no more than one other wild card hopeful at 10-6 or better.
NEXT WEEK, LOS ANGELES RAMS: A loss to the Rams would eliminate Arizona from the NFC West race. A win would swing the tie-breaker in favor of the Big Red, and bring the Cardinals back within one game of the all-time series with the Cleveland-Los Angeles-St. Louis-Los Angeles franchise. My prediction, Cards win, 23-21.
TWENTY-SECOND SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 22nd season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my 22nd-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.