Old Friends, Part 1: A chance encounter

Rommie looked out across the busy concourse of the Drift and sighed: Trance had done one of her disappearing acts, and Dylan had sent Rommie to find her. Trying to find one purple alien in a busy Drift is far from easy.

She was just about to check in with the Maru when a voice called out from behind her, "Andromeda?" Rommie span round and gasped, "Orion?" before her stood a tall, dark-haired man dressed in a worn High Guard uniform. He smiled, "The one and only!" Rommie ran up to the man and hugged him, "What are you doing here?" Orion pushed her away slightly, "Well, I'm out on the rim, delivering cargo, that's what I do nowadays, and my captain hears this crazy story about a Glorious Heritage Class Heavy Cruiser that has been pulled from a black-hole and is setting out to re-build the Commonwealth. I managed to persuade him to take a trip this way to see who it is. We dock here today, only to find that said Cruiser is my old friend, the Andromeda Ascendant." Rommie punched him on the shoulder, "Less of the old: Your fifty years older than me!"

"You're meant to be looking for Trance." Rommie turned round and found herself looking at Tyr's chest. She looked up to his face, "Tyr, this is The Shoulder of Orion, and old friend of mine. Orion, this is Tyr Anasazi, my new tactical officer." Orion extended a hand, "Glad to meet you, Mr. Anasazi." Try shook his head, "Another Avatar." He muttered something under his breath as he walked off. Orion was confused, "Is it something I said?" Rommie shook her head, "No: We had a run-in with the Balance of Judgment a few months ago." Orion nodded, "Yes, I heard: I knew him from before the fall. I was saddened to hear about his insanity. You did the right thing you know: Gabriel would not blame you."

Rommie nodded sadly, "Come, I want you to meet the rest of my crew."

TBC

Next

Chapter Index