Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: help with design rule edit hang

<x-flowed>
This is a few days old  - had a break...

On 05:21 PM 12/09/2000 +0100, Terry Harris said:
><...Snip...>
>Things may get better eventually, in the mean time I would rather Protel
>fixed their ridiculous resource usage problems. It is a well known issue
>with Delphi/CBuilder and there are relatively simple fixes.
>

>Cheers, Terry.

I have been told this as well - I believe that Delphi Tabbed Dialogs are
very resource hungry by default and the rules dialog(s) consist of nested
tabbed dialogs - this is why the Win32 API error often appears while trying
to add a new rule or edit and old one.  One solution is, apparently to only
render the pages as they are needed rather than render every form (Delphi
dialog) fully when it is created even if a particular page is not
visible.  If Protel are doing this already then I would think there is not
much more that they can do with the language/dev tools they have apart from
modifying the user interface to use less resource hungry widgets.

(Tip - the mouse click on Cancel won't always dismiss the dialog after this
fault but the ESC key seems to.  You can them *usually* get back to the app
and save the file and the restart to free resources.)

Since the resource-limited faults happen after some time of operation and
with no other program running it would seem that there is one or more
resource leaks occurring.  It would be nice for these to be tracked down
and eliminated. This may fix sufficiently the resource usage without
radical changes (and new bug introductions) to the UI or underlying code.

Ian Wilson
Considered Solutions Pty Ltd     mailto:considered@ozemail.com.au
ABN: 96 088 410 002
5 The Crescent
CHATSWOOD   2067
Ph: +61 2 9411 4248   Fax: +61 2 9411 4249

</x-flowed>