Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Finding a part in the libraries

> Is there some easy way, or a utility, that I can use to find a part in the
> many libraries?  It seems like I spend a large chunk of time whenever I
> start a new project (or even changing an existing project) looking for
> existing (or maybe non-existing) parts in both the schematic and pcb
> libraries.  I'm sure I've made my own parts when they actually existed in
> library already but I just couldn't find them.
>
> It would seem that at a minimum, Protel would have a global list function
> which could at least list all the parts in all the libraries.  Am I
missing
> something?
>
> Jeff Nelson

Protel provides a "Find (Schematic Component)" function for components
within *Schematic* Library files, which can be invoked from the 'Tools/Find
Component...' item in the default menu for the Schematic Server or Schematic
Library Server.

However, as of yet, no similar capability has been provided for components
(footprints) within *PCB* Library files. (And Protel has yet to support an
ASCII format for PCB Library files, which further compromises the
possibility of users running grep commands on such files to locate instances
of particular footprints.) I agree that it would be a desirable feature to
have provided, as there are times when I would like to be able to search PCB
Library files for particular footprints as well.

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer