RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Re: What does RSRCMTR.EXE do?

<x-flowed>
At 03:25 PM 9/14/00 -0700, Bruce  Walter wrote:
>While it is true that this is not necessary on NT/2000, I have it in my
>startup folder (minimized) and find it handy.
>
>It is winnt\system32\taskmgr.exe - it is also available by hitting
>ctrl-alt-del and clicking 'task manager'.
>
>I use it to monitor CPU usage, virtual memory, etc.  I occasionally use it
>to close stuck applications, as well as see who is using all the CPU time,
>etc.

This is not the "resource meter" which was being discussed. It's the task
manager, which is a different animal. In W98, the Resource Monitor watches
System Resources, User Resources, and GDI Resources. These are different
from "CPU usage" and "virtual memory." The Resource Meter does not monitor
these. It displays a little icon on the Taskbar with a rough chart of
resource usage, with various levels of green; when it is down to the lowest
level, the color turns yellow, and it turns red as your system is about to
go into a coma. Shutting down almost anything quickly may avoid this....

In W98, the Task Manager is also invoked with ctrl-alt-del. It's usage is
pretty much limited, as far as I know, to showing what tasks are running,
if any of them are not responding, and attempting, at least, to shut one of
them down, or to shut down the whole system and either reboot or power
down. I have Norton Utilities installed, and this adds an Antifreeze
function to the Task Manager.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690