[PROTEL EDA USERS]: Re: What does RSRCMTR.EXE do?

In a message dated 9/13/00 10:13:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
JENKINSC@PIOS.COM writes:

> I have seen the reosurce issue explode after SP5 of Protel. What is
>  RSRCMTR.EXE and does it help the resource managment?

Windows Resource Meter (Win95, I think also Win98) just camps on the icon bar
and monitors three separate resource pools. If something gets low, it pops up
and warns you, giving you a chance to shut down gracefully. If you let
Windows run completely out of resources, either because of memory leaks in
certain applications, or general resource hoggishness in certain applications
very familiar to this list, the system can get wrapped around the axle where
it wants to pop up an error box to indicate you're out of resources, but it
can't allocate the resources to generate the box. Then you're hosed. If
Protel cleaned up the software to be less resource-intensive the issue would
go away; if they even checked the error indications and handled them
gracefully when they allocate memory it would help. But for now the best
solution is to keep RsrcMtr running all the time (it's in my Startup
directory). When it pops up, you can close Protel and maybe other
applications as well, and reopen them and keep going. With time I've managed
to develop a feel for when I can get away with just pressing on and ignoring
it, but every so often I guess wrong and cause a crash.

Steve Hendrix