RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Advice on Learning PCB Design

Hi Andy,

Welcome to one of the best programs for the beginner. I hope I speak for all
those that contribute to this list...feel free to ask any question on this
list. If the response is wordy we will reply to you directly. Some of us
(myself included) have contemplated publishing a book, paper or web site
devoted to getting started.

The first rule is everyone has different rules!  When you bought Protel it
came with components and footprints.  The footprints may have been laid out
according to some standards group like IEEE. Or they may have been generated
based on an individual that had success with a particular footprint on his
manufacturing process. In any case the goal is to produce artwork that a
chosen PCB mfr. can reproduce in copper with quality, quantity and economy.

Someone else said it and I agree, start with a manufacturer that has
prepared a guide book for clients with suggestions for Design for
Manufacturing.  The guide book will give you a feel for what capabilities
this manufacturer has and is comfortable with.  There should be spacing
recomendations here as well as suggested pad layouts. It should discuss
clearance issues between types of components, component skylines and spacing
on boards.  These all have to do with making a board that is compatible with
the manufacturer's automatic assembly equipment. They are also living
documents, changing to get the most out of new technologies and equipment.

I have one from Kodak. It is 3 inches thick.

If you have other questions please shoot me an email.

Charlie Jenkins