Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Problem with Power Pins

<x-flowed>
At 10:00 PM 9/1/00 +1000, Ian Wilson wrote:

>Rant On
>I have a deep hate of hidden pins.  Some on this list tell me they have
>uses.  I am only a youngster in this game (15 years) but I have never seen
>a place where hidden pins and worse, automatic net connection of hidden
>pins does anything but make life harder for everyone but the person laying
>out the original schematic.
>
>My suggestion is to edit every sch symbol that you use and remove the
>hidden pins - make visible power pins (and make them of type POWER so the
>ERC is working for you).
>
>Others though do offer support for Protel continuing a confusing and
>fraught-with-problems historical aspect of early computer based PCB CAD
>systems.
>Rant Off

I commend Mr. Wilson for knowing when he is ranting....

I agree that hidden pins can be a problem, but once one knows how they
behave, they are not much of a problem. Designers who don't like hidden
pins are certainly free to avoid or modify components that use them, or to
globally change all components to show all pins.

But Protel *must* support hidden pins because it must be able to import
schematics which use them.

As to their utility, if one has a digital design with many discrete gates,
hidden pins are a godsend....

Ever reassign gates or op-amp sections on a schematic with no hidden pins
and discover that your power connections are now disconnected? This doesn't
happen when hidden pins are used for power.

Yes, one can have a special page for power sections of ICs, and this is
also a good place to put bypass caps as well, thus associating the caps
clearly with their ICs. I do, in fact, agree that this is a superior
solution, at least in some respects, but Protel should not impose "superior
solutions" on designers; it is enough to make them possible.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433