Send Feedback

Pic o' the Day

DetroitPix

Hamtramck Pix

Pic 'o the Day Index

Memories List

Latest Pix

Vanishing Bldgs







Wayne State's Bonstelle Theatre on Woodward. The Bonstelle was formerly Temple Beth El, a Jewish synagogue before the congregation moved to the burbs. The Bonstelle Playhouse opened as a legitimate theater on January 1, 1925, and was renamed the Detroit Civic Theatre in 1928. As the Mayfair, it began showing films in 1933. Returning to stage productions in 1951, it became known as the Wayne University Theatre, and is now known as the Bonstelle Theater. Thanx to cinematour.com for most of the above info. Scroll down to see a postcard.
An old postcard scan of the former Temple Beth El.

Bonstelle Theatre