Dr. Snide's Various Tuning Raves
- Being a collection of stuff I've written over the years, and which
some people, at least, have expressed a wish to see saved somewhere.
|Sometimes, it's nice to see who you're reading from. ( - But then,
sometimes, it's not! The overly sensitive may wish to avert their
eyes, or hit the "page down" key)
Dr. Snide's Bike
Dr. Snide AND his bike - at home in
the hill country..
I know - you're probably asking, "How can anybody this good-lookin' also
be so dam smart?" Well, I guess lightning does sometimes strike
in the same place! Anyway, here's the raves:
- REBOOK: Who
needs pop-ups? Get pitched on my shamelessly written-for-profit Royal Enfield Manual
- BULLETS: An appreciation article on the
Royal Enfield Bullet Singles
- REWIRE: - Completely replace your stiff,
oily, taped, patched, and 'way too big wiring harness on your Brit bike
with a Snidey special! This is the latest version, incorporating a
universally-available DPDT switch for both lights and ignition.
- LUCWIRE:Rewire your bike with only 22
wires! - an earlier file, using the stock Lucas lightswitch. (Read both
for maximum confusion!)
- RELAYS 101:
Installing a horn relay to handle
over-amping switches or wiring: Halogen Light, Big Horn, etc
- MONSTER BIKE:A look at a machine built
by a man who likes 'em BIG!
- BIKEBUY:Some advice based on 47 years of
buying vehicles - concentrating on motorcycles.
- BOXES: Are the various black boxes worth
- BRAKETUNE: Front Brake Tuning
- CAPS: Adding a Capacitor to your charging system
- CHARGE: Fix your charging system
- 6V CHARGE: Some wrinkles on the Early Lucas
6V alternator systems - too many wires coming out of your alternator?
- CIRCULATION CHECK: How to check that your oil
- COMBUSTION:A discussion on combustion
- DNTHONE:Careful with that hone, Eugene!
- a popular Old Wive's Tale is challenged once and for all
- ESPRESSO MACHINES: A little humour for lovers/haters
- GENR8RS:A rundown on the theory and practice
of getting Generator (Dynamo) systems back to work
- JETTING:Jetting Your Carburetor
- Inspection:Making those decisions when you're in the
middle of a teardown
- LIGHTFIX: How to get your lights working better,
especially with Halogens
- LUCAS: Lucas; Prince of Darkness? I don't think
so; but here are some tips on understanding and caring for your Lucas
- MILEAGE:Tuning for mileage
- PINGTIME:Tuning Ignition Timing for best
mileage and power
- PLASTIGAUGE:Using Plastigauge to examine
- PLGSREAD: A Comprehensive Article on Reading
- PLUGS A quick rundown on plug reading scanned from
the Meriden Triumph Workshop Manual
- PUMPFIX: Reaseating the check valve
balls in your Meriden Triumph oilpump fixes a few things
- POINTS: How to work out points and general
- TORQUE:Some ins and outs of tightening
fasters - "to torque wrench, or not to torque wrench? _That_ is the
- TIMCHECK:Check your ignition timing
well and often!
There are other rants by other equally expert ranters. Here are links
to two of my favourites: