Wycoff and Sarah J Bricker Piatt
Wycoff Piatt was born c1836 in Indiana and died after 1870. He was the son of John Piatt and Hannah Hileman. He married October 14, 1858 in Henry County, Illinois, Sarah J Bricker who was born c1844 in Ohio. The marriage bond was for “Wicuff” or “Wyckuf” Piatt volume A pg 49 license #165.
According to an autobiographical sketch listed under 1877 Weller Township, Henry County, Illinois tax records, John Piatt (Wycoff’s father) was born in Hamilton County, Ohio; lived in Ohio about twenty-four years and in Indiana two years; removed to this state, 1839, and to this county, 1840, and has lived here over thirty-six years. Wycoff’s mother died in March of 1842 when Wycoff was about six years old. Wycoff’s father remarried in 1844 to Martha McMurtray. Also according to this information, Wycoff was born in Indiana which agrees with some of his census responses.
The known/suspected children of Wycoff and Sarah:
- Martha Piatt b: c1859 IL
- John A Piatt b: c1861 IL
- Clara Piatt b: c1863 IL
It appears that Wycoff named a daughter after his step-mother indicating that they had a good relationship. Although, I would need to find Sarah’s parents to see what their names were. Since there were no children born (to my knowledge) between 1863 and 1870, it’s possible that this is a complete list of the children of Wycoff and Sarah.
I have not been able to locate Wycoff on the 1860 census using various searches. Since their children were all born in Illinois, it would indicate that that is where they will be found. I finally located his father and step-mother and children under ‘Pratt’.
Wycoff and family appeared as follows on the 1870 census of Bishophill P O, Weller Township, Henry County, Illinois:
- Piatt, Wycoff age 28 born IN / WM / Farmer
- Piatt, Sarah J age 26 born OH / WF / Keeping House
- Piatt, Martha age 11 born IL / WF / At School
- Piatt, John A age 9 born IL / WM
- Piatt, Clara age 7 born IL / WF
This family was enumerated #18/18 pg 136. Living nearby at #42/45 pg 137 (the next page) were Wycoff’s father and step-mother with three unmarried children as-well-as two teenage Palmers and a Swanson couple. Wycoff’s brother, Jacob, was living in Cambridge P O, Andover Township in Henry County. Jane Piatt (who I believe to be Wycoff’s step-grandmother) was living with her daughter, Eliza Stewart, in Coal Valley PO, Colona Township, Henry County, Illinois in 1870 and 1880.
According to voter and tax records 1877 Illinois - Henry County - Weller Township (?supplemented?):
There is a Wicuff Piatt/Peat born c1835 IL indexed with wife Sarah on the 1910 census in Larimer County, Colorado.
- PIATT JAMES - Sec. 6, P.O. Cambridge; farmer; Dem; Lib; born Ill; 102 ac.
- PIATT JOHN - Sec. 7, P.O. Cambridge; farmer; Dem; Lib; born Ill.
- PIATT JOHN - Farmer, Sec. 6, P.O. Cambridge; Born Hamilton Co. Ohio, Dec. 9, 1809; Dem; Lib; owns 270 acres land, value $13,500; lived in Ohio about twenty-four years and in Indiana two years; removed to this state, 1839, and to this county, 1840, and has lived here over thirty-six years; one of the oldest settlers; was not but one house within twenty miles southeast of here then; was elected Justice of Peace, also one of the Justices of the Co. in 1845; has held office of Supervisor of this town for thirty years, except about three years; married Hannah Hileman, of Hamilton County, Ohio, in 1834; she died March, 1842; had three children; married Martha McMurtry, of Knox Co. in 1844; she was born in Ind; have
- PIATT WICUFF - Sec. 7, P.O. Bishop Hill; Farmer; Dem; Lib; born Ind.
- PRICE WM. - Farmer, Sec. 4, P.O. Bishop Hill; born in London, England, Oct. 21, 1830; Dem; Lib; owns 160 acres of land, value $8,000; he lived in Birmingham, England, until twenty-two years of age, and came to this country in 1851; came to this state and county same year and has lived here over twenty-four years; he has held office of Assessor of this town;
Road Commissioner, Justice of Peace and School Director; he married Miss Esther Piatt in Aug, 1856; she was born in Indiana; they have one child; son John Walter Price, born Oct. 17, 1857.
Updated Jul 2010
- Jacob Piatt sources listed on his page
- 1870 Henry Co, IL, federal census
- 1877 Weller Twp, Henry Co, IL, tax extracts
- Marriage records of Henry Co, IL
Back to Home
Back to Abraham and Annabella Andrews Piatt
Back to Jacob and Jane Thompson Piatt
Back to John and Hannah Hileman Page