Oliver J Pyatt and Josephine E Jones
Oliver J Pyatt was born c1834 in Pennsylvania to Benjamin and Margaret McKeon Pyatt and died in 1903. He married in Woodford County, Illinois, on October 19, 1865, Josephine E Jones. I have a record in Cook County, Illinois, for a marriage between 'Oliver P Pyatt' and 'Josephine Jones' for October 23, 1865. The notation 'Fink' appears. I would assume that the Woodford County information was taken from a secondary source and is in error.
Oliver and Josephine had the following known children:
Janvier Piatt b: 1867 IL
Edith M Piatt b: 1869 Jacksonville, IL m: Wiliam Samuel Dunlap
Benjamin C Piatt b: 1871 IL
Addie Piatt b: 1873 IL
Charles Piatt b: 1875 MO
Josie Piatt b: 1878 MO
Janvier was named for his great-grandmother, Susan Janvier.
I first located Oliver on the 1850 census of Morgan County, Illinois, as follows:
This Crisy Cassell is Oliver's sister, Emily, who married Peter T Cassell in Morgan County. Also in Morgan County were Olivers parents, his brother, Benjamin Pyatt Jr, who was a success tobacco manufacturer and probably his employer; and, his brother, John Pyatt.
- Cassell, Peter age 23 born KY / m / merchant
- Cassell, Crisy age 18 born PA / f
- Pyatt, Oliver age 16 born PA / m / tobacconist
- Capell, W. age 1/12 born IL / m (This family enumerated #11/#11 pg 170C.)
By the 1860 census of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Illinois, Oliver had moved into the household of his parents as follows:
By the 1870 census of Denmark, Morgan County, Illinois, Oliver's family had grown and looked as follows:
- Pyatt, Benj age 75 born PA / male / carpenter / $2000/$100
- Pyatt, Margaret age 69 born PA / female
- Pyatt, Oliver age 25 born PA / male / tobacconist / $0/$1500 (This family enumerated #623/604 13th June 1860 pg 412 (ancestry image 90/563) pg 412 (from index only)
This family was enumerated #137/140 3 Jun 1870 pg 516 (#13 left top corner)(ancestry image 216/330); O J Pyatt was Asst Marshall who did the enumeration.
- Pyatt, Oliver age 35 born PA / W M / Tobacconist / $10200/$2000
- Pyatt, Josie age 32 born IL / W F / Keeping House
- Pyatt, Jan age 4 born IL / W M
- Pyatt, Edith age 2 born IL / W F
- Pyatt, Ben age 9/12 born ?Sep/Aug? IL / W M
- Pyatt, Margaret age 79 born PA / W F / father of foreign birth
By the 1880 census the family had moved to Lewis County, Missouri - 7th Street in Canton:
- Pyatt, Oliver J age 45 born PA
- Pyatt, Josephine E (wife) age 41 born IL
- Pyatt, Janvier (son) age 13 born IL
- Pyatt, Edith M (daughter) age 11 born IL
- Pyatt, Benjamin C (son) age 9 born IL
- Pyatt, Addie (daughter) age 7 born IL
- Pyatt, Charles (son) age 5 born MO
- Pyatt, Josie (daughter) age 2 born MO
- Millburn, Clarence (nephew) age 19 born IL
They were enumerated 20/26/44/11: 7th Street, Canton.
Of interest to me is the Clarence Millburn who lives with this family as I know of other Illinois Pyatts with the Milburn name. In Perry County, Illinois and in Montgomery County, Illinois were first cousins whose first name was Milburn.
Daughter Edith Pyatt Dunlap DAR # DAR #78104
Revolution Volume 79 page 42
Mrs. Edith Pyatt Dunlap. DAR ID Number: 78104 Born in Jacksonville, Ill. Wife of William Samuel Dunlap. [p.42] Descendant of Capt. Moses
Woodward. Daughter of Oliver J. Pyatt (1834-1903) and Josephine Jones (b. 1835), his
wife, m. 1865. Granddaughter of John T. Jones (1795-1877) and Emily Woodward (1805-52), his wife, m. 1827. Gr-granddaughter of William Wallis Woodward (1769-1837) and Susan Janvier (d. 1849), his wife, m. 1791. Gr-gr-granddaughter of Moses Woodward and Eunice Wallis (d. 1789), his wife. Moses Woodward
(1740-1810) served as commissary of prisoners at Portsmouth. He was born in
Gloucester, Mass.; died in Portsmouth, N. H. Also Nos. 35663, 60570.
Updated Jul 2004
- 1850/1860/1870 Morgan Co, IL, federal census
- 1880 Lewis Co, MO census
- Marriage of Cook Co, IL
- Vol 79 pg 42 DAR Index Edith Pyatt Dunlap
- AGI Source Records - marriage
Back to Home