Abraham S and Mary P McCoy Piatt
Abraham Sedam/Sedan Piatt was born in Boone County, Kentucky, (or Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio) November 20 (or 30), 1801, to Jacob and Hannah Cooke McCollugh Piatt and died December 23 (or 29), 1876, in Petersburg, Boone County, Kentucky. Since Jacob's parents were on the 1800 tax list of Boone County, Kentucky, we know they at least owned property there at that time if they hadn't already moved the family there by the time of Abraham's birth.
Abraham married on June 6, 1822, in Boone County, Kentucky, Mary Pope McCoy, who was born January 10, 1805, in Virginia and died July 8, 1886, in Boone County, Kentucky. Both are buried in the Abraham Piatt family Cemetery in Boone County, Kentucky.
The marriage license of Abraham Piatt and Polly Pope McCoy shows that they were married 6 June 1822, by James Dicken, the bondsman was J.W. Piatt, consent was by William N. McCoy [relationship not stated], in book A-68. Which J W Piatt was his bondsman? Does anyone know for sure or have a guess?
Abraham and Mary had the following known children:
An 1830 census entry in Boone Co, KY was as follows:
- Jacob Piatt b: c1831 KY d: aft 1880 m: ?Inez C ? b: c1847 IN (might be the "J and J (sic) C whose two children are buried in the Abraham Piatt Cemetery)
- Mary Frances Piatt b: 1827 KY d: 1865 m: Reese Harrison Parry b: 1813 d: 1888
- Mary Piatt Parry b: 1862 m: 1881 Benjamin Wallace Vandergrift b: 1857 d: 1890
- Henrietta Vandergrift b: Pittsburgh, PA m: Douglas Irvine McKay (Henrietta's DAR ID Number: 71945)
- Benjamin Piatt b: c1834 in KY (was this the one who died at 18?)
- Virginia M Piatt b: 26 Nov 1835 at Federal Hall, KY d: Jul 28, 1880 Burlington, KY m: Dr. L.B. McKenzie
He is enumerated on the same page as his father, Jacob Piatt.
- Piatt, Ab'm S 1m<5; 1m20-30; 1f<5' 1f5-10; 1f20-30; 1m(sl)10-24; 1f(sl)10-24 ( pg 264)
Abraham was found on the 1840 census of Boone Co, KY as follows:
Abram and family appeared on the 1850 Boone County, KY, census District 2:
- Piatt, Abraham 2m5-10; 1m10-15; 1m30-40; 1f<5; 1f10-15; 1f15-20; 1f30-40
It appears to me as if Mary age 20 is Jacob's wife and would follow that John H age 2 was their son or a grandson of Abraham and Mary in some respect. However, on the 1860 census given below, Jacob and John H are present but not Mary. Was she his wife who died or a sister who got married and left home?
- Piatt, Abram S / WM / age 48 born KY / Farmer / $8700
- Piatt, Mary P / WF / age 44 born VA
- Piatt, Jacob / WM / age19 born KY
- Piatt, Mary / WF / age 20 born KY
- Piatt, Benjamin / WM / age 16 born KY
- Piatt, Virginia / WF / age 14 born KY
- Piatt, John H / WM / age 3 born KY
- Henry, Michael / WM / age 25 born KY (This family enumerated #900 on page 405 lines 33 thru 40 on Sep 17, 1850) Go to Abraham Piatt on the 1860 Petersburg District - Boone Co, KY census
Abraham and Mary appear as follows on the 1860 census of Boone County, Kentucky, Petersburg District:
This family was enumerated on page 116. There were no other Piatt families in Petersburg District, but, were many in Union Precinct.
- Piatt, Abraham age 58 / M / Farmer / $15000/$2000 / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Mary P age 54 / F / born in Virginia
- Piatt, Jacob age 28 / M / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, Virginia M age 23 / F / born in Kentucky
- Piatt, John H age 13 / M / born in Kentucky
Abraham S Piatt on the 1870 Boone Co, KY - Petersburg District:
- Piatt, Abraham S age 69 born KY / wm / Farmer / $5860/$3590
- Piatt, Mary P age 64 born VA / wf / Keeping house
- Piatt, Jacob age 39 born KY / wm / Working on Farm (This family enumerated on pg 9.)