Hyde Park Corner
Tel: (071) 499 5676 for further details.
The Duke of
Wellington's Regimental Museum
collection illustrates the history of the regiment from the raising of the 33rd
Foot in 1702 and the 76th Foot in 1787 to the present day. The display
emphasises uniforms and equipment, often in period settings. It includes
material relating to local volunteer, militia and territorial forces, together
with a display of relics associated with the Iron Duke himself. The reserve
collection and archive may be studied by appointment.
& Bank Holiday Mondays 10.00-5.00, Sun 2.00-5.00. Closed Dec 24,26 and Jan
Spencer BA Tel: (0422) 354823/352334.
shop stocks a small selection of regimental material including cap badge, ties
and plaques. Publications include a short history of the regiment (48pp) and a
full regimental history 1702-1992.
access to Regimental gallery and toilets with assistance. Free car park.
from Halifax town centre on A647 Halifax-Queensbury-Bradford Road.
Royal Hospital was founded by Charles II as a home for the veterans of the
Regular army who had become unfit for duty either after 20 years service or as a
result of wounds. The Royal Hospital continues in this role today, caring for
over 400 in-pensioners. The museum contains medals and uniforms of Pensioners
who have lived in the Royal Hospital over the last 300 years, and also includes
"Wellington Hall", devoted to Wellington and his battles.
10.00-12.00, 2.00-4.00; Sun 2.00-4.00 April-Sept only. Closed on Public
R A G Courage CVO, MBE Tel: (071) 7300161 Ext 203.
to Sloane Square, 39, 11, 137.
museum contains many personal possessions of the First Duke of Wellington and
also an outline of his military and political career. A major feature is the 18
ton funeral hearse cast from melted down French cannon captured at Waterloo.
Within easy travelling distance of museums in Aldershot, Winchester and
£4.00, children (5-15 years) £2.00. Admission includes entrance to the house
Sun in Sept, Sat-Thur 11.30-4.00.
Aubrey-Fletcher, ARICS Tel: (0256) 882882.
from Reading (M4 Junction 11) and Basingstoke (M3 Junction 6) on A33. Follow
easy travelling distance of museums in Aldershot, Winchester and Salisbury.
Castle was built 1539-40 to protect the Downs anchorage within the Goodwin
Sands, where the British Fleet lay to defend the Channel. Since the early 1700s
it has been the official residence of the Lords Warden of the Cinque Ports.
Wellington held this post and lived there from 1829 until his death in 1852; the
room where he lived and died has been preserved and contains the camp bed he
used on his campaigns. The next room contains many mementos of the Duke, as does
almost every room in the castle.
£3.00, OAPs £2.25, Children £1.50 (from 1/4/94).
1-Apr 1 or Good Friday (whichever is earliest) Tues-Sun 10.00-4.00; then to Sept
10 10.00-6.00 daily. Closed Dec 24-26, Jan, Feb and Mon Oct 1-Mar 31 and when
the Lord Warden is in residence.
Mr A F
Parnell Tel: (0304) 3642288.
from Deal, or 20 minutes walk along the sea front from Deal towards Dover.
Also of interest:
Castle is also interesting, although not furnished in the manner of Walmer. It
was built in 1540 and reflects the established supremacy of gunpowder, being
made up almost entirely of gun emplacements.
itself has been associated with the Royal Marines since 1861 and there are
usually activities taking place in which the Marines play a part concerts,
parades etc. The Royal Marines School of Music is here.
ROMAN INVASION OF BRITAIN Between Walmer and Deal castles, in Kent, there is a pleasant walk along a stretch of empty pebble beach. Here Caesar's ships grated ashore and the standard bearer of the X Legion leapt into the water to wade ashore and start the invasion.