Site hosted by Build your free website today!


Tug Line
July 2003:
7/2 Not a whole lot of activity on the boat for the last year. The upper half of the rub rail is completed but I've yet to attach it to the boat.
Tug Line
July 2002:
7/1 The prep work is done of the Lower Stern Panels, the seam should not be visible when the hull is glassed and painted. The next challenge is fitting the upper half of the rub rail on to the boat.
Tug Line
June 2002:
6/17 The lower Stern Panels are all attached! It actually looks like it might float.
6/20 Spending a lot of time sanding to make sure that seams in the Lower Stern Panels are not visible.

Tug Line
May 2002:
5/15 The weather has warmed up so I'm back to work on the Boat. The Sides have been fully glued back from the 9' mark. I've cut out the Lower Stern Skin Panel per plan and it fits great!
Tug Line
September 2001:
When I was a kid I lived here. My house is circled in red. When you grow up with the WTC in your backyard the loss of them is almost unbelievable. As a woodworker I did what woodworkers do best I built something. The Towers are 6 feet tall and are part of an impromptu memorial setup on the Marathon County Library grounds.
Tug Line
August 2001:
8/22 The new deck pieces seem to fit better. They are 'glassed and ready to install. But I need to 'glass up the stem first. I should have done that before it was installed on the boat. I don't think the instructions were real clear on that one.

8/30 The deck is installed.
Tug Line
July 2001:
7/5 The deck must be installed before I can install the Rub Rail. I've glued the shelf and deck stringers on the hull. My shelves and deck pieces don't fit quite right. I'm going to remeasure and cut out new ones.
Tug Line
June 2001:
My house is re-roofed so I'm working on the boat again. I've glued up the two halves of the Rub Rail. Now the challenge is to fit them to the boat. This is an important step as it defines how the stern will look.
Tug Line
April 2001:
4/5 The weather's warm and I'm working on cars. I seem to always put off maintenance until the last minute. I'm currently replacing the timing belt on my Toyota. And I still have to fix a problem with my truck's exhaust manifold. Speaking of putting things off I still have to re-roof my house this spring. I'll try to fit in boatbuilding where I can.
Tug Line
March 2001:
And now a word from our sponsors:
Tug Line
February 2001:
The rub rail is mostly cut out. I'll have to wait for a warm weekend to laminate the parts. I'm also working on the stern jig.

When I installed the sides on the boat we had a lot of excess epoxy drip out. This will need to be addressed before I can fiberglass over the joints. Cleaning it up is excellent winter work. I imagine that I'll start that next.

Tug Line
January 2001:

I am working on the rub rail. Much easier than the chine logs now that I have a Router with a laminating bit.
Tug Line
November-December 2000 (Newborn Baby Syndrome):
I did manage to finish a second Boat Cradle for my brother's new baby. Now I can get back to work on the boat!
Tug Line
October 2000:
10/15 It's a girl! 6 pounds 7 oz. Mother and Daughter are doing great! Special thanks to the Marshfield Ronald McDonald House. The Boat Cradle was completed a week after her delivery.
Tug Line
September 2000:
9/25 The sides are on the boat! My Dad came over this weekend and he helped me put them on. He claims that it looks like a wooden shoe. I took a bunch of photos and will post them as soon as they are developed.

9/11 The hull and sides are ready for attachment. Should have a boat by the end of the month. I've been busy on another project for my soon to be born daughter. I'm building a Boat Cradle which has taken up some of my time.

9/13 We installed the Stem last night. Pretty soon it's going to start looking like a boat!
Tug Line
August 2000:
8/7 I've started glassing the sides! I'm filleting the chinelogs in preparation of the glassing of the deck. Hopefully this month I will be able to put the sides on the boat.
8/8 The trick working with epoxy is to avoid sanding. Several of the fillets came out poorly - I didn't have enough wood flour in my fillet mix so it ran. Last night I used my Heat gun to remove several of the ones that I had put in. I think I finally have the technique worked out for filleting. I modified a Squeegee by rounding a corner on it. Using the corner of the Squeegee to apply the fillet leaves a nice finished edge which doesn't need much sanding. By removing the fillets and reapplying them I actually saved time. Sanding epoxy is very time consuming.
8/15 I'm about done with the preparation of the sides and deck. It is easiest to do this work while things are still apart. It looks like I'm going to have the sides on by the end of the month!
Tug Line
July 2000:

7/10 I recruited da wife this weekend and we finished marking the sides. They are awaiting the final cut out of the slot for the aft rub rail. I can't fiberglass the sides until I purchase a new mustard pump for the tub of epoxy. I'll do that today. Also I'm going to talk to the designer, I'm not sure how the stem should be attached to the hull. I suspect that I just need to epoxy it. It's an important part of the boat so it's best to double check. I also purchased more wood. This time I bought 1/2 underlayment. I'm not real happy with it but it will work for the rub rail.
7/17 Arrrrgh!! I can't seem to get ahead. I went out into the shop on Saturday to find that I only have 110 volts not 220. It was fine the night before. I've been in an on going battle with the electrical service to the shop. The Aluminum Wire keeps oxidizing. I've fixed it 3 times in the last year. It's time to replace the aluminum wire with copper. Spent all day Sunday digging. There is some good news I'm going to upgrade the service to 100 amps with 20 circuits, it had been 60 amps with 6 circuits. More Power!
7/25 Back on the Boat! Last Sunday I was back to working on the boat. The electrical service to the shop was a lot of work. 85' of trench through clay soil. This kind of work was much easier when I was in college. Anyway I've installed two 1 1/4" conduits only one of them is currently being used so hopefully I won't need to dig in the future.
I've installed the gusset for the Stem. And am preparing the side panels for fiber glassing. I talked to Berk (the designer) about the stem installation. He said that if I wanted to I could fasten the stem up from the bottom with drywall screws. But that it's not necessary. What is important is that the stem is plumb with the rest of the hull.
Tug Line

June 2000:
I can go back to work on my boat! I finished all of my other projects. Just so you don't think that I'm sitting around looking at the heavy, expensive, flat piece of plywood I lovingly, call a boat. Here's what I've done this month:
  1. Installed Gas Dryer
  2. Installed Low Voltage Lights
  3. Installed Clothes Line
  4. Built a patio - Daddio
  5. Fixed U-Joint on Truck
  6. Fixed Flag Pole
  7. Filled Sand Boxes
  8. Fixed Patio Screen door - My Dog, the wookie, broke it once again one week later.
Tug Line
April-May 2000:
Still not working on my boat My son's bookcase is done, but other projects compete for my time. Now that spring is here I'm working on a ton of other stuff around my house.
Tug Line

March 2000:
Still not working on my boat :( I really need to start making more time for it. I've been working on other things instead. Like building a bookcase for my son.
Tug Line

February 2000:
I've had to take some time off to build a place for the additional plywood I need to purchase. I also built some framework that will allow me to safely place 4X8 sheets of ply-wood in the back of my Mazda Truck.
As for the Boat - Working on the sides. Soon I will have them 'glassed. Once the weather warms up I'll be able to start installing them. It'll finally start to look like a boat!
Tug Line
January 2000:
I have built the stem and installed the U-Bolt. I didn't have much luck locating a big stainless U-Bolt so I had my Father-in-law make one for me. It turned out great. The temporary supports for the side of the boat have been cut out as well.
1/31 I am building the gussets for the stem installation. My router and a laminating bit make this a snap to do! I wish I had the router when I built the chine logs.
Tug Line
December 1999:
The last two months have been spent working on Christmas gifts for my parents. I built a toy Airplane from plans I found in a book called 52 Plans for the Weekend Woodworker. The inference is that most projects will take only a weekend. Yah, Right! I probably have 50 hours in it.

Santa was good to me this year. He brought me a Porter Cable 693PK Router set. I used it to put the 3/8 radius on the chine logs and bulkhead bases. It worked great. Only one problem - when I nailed the chine logs onto the hull a couple of nails strayed into the path of the router. So I had to make sure to avoid those spots when I routed the chinelogs.

Tug Line
Novemeber 1999:
I have filled the holes created when I screwed the keels in place. The space between the chine logs were too wide to fit the the prow properly so I have added some wooden shims to make up for the ill-fitting chine logs. The bulkhead base has been trimmed to size. I still have to spend some time shaping the chine logs. Now that I can look down on them I can see some imperfections.
Tug Line
October 1999:
10/23 I attempted to sand the mold off. I ended up scrubbing it with bleach. It cleaned up pretty well but you can still see the stains. Since epoxy will stick to anything my primary concern was to kill the bacteria. I sure wish I had epoxyed the deck of the boat before we turned it upside down.
10/15 We turned the boat back over. The deck of the boat was covered with mold. The part of the hull that had been covered with epoxy didn't have the mold on it. If I had it to do again I would cover the deck of the boat with one coat of epoxy before I turned the boat over. The boat was placed back on the concrete blocks. I cut several small pieces of carpet to place between the boat and the concrete block. This will keep the block from scratching the now finished hull.
Tug Line
September 1999:
It's time to paint the boat. This is the bottom of the boat so it's a good time to experiment I decided to use External Glidden Lucite (Acrylic Latex) paint. Since this boat will be spending most of it's time on a trailer in my shed, it seemed the me that marine paint is unnecessary. I sprayed the paint with my cheepe $20.00 Coleman Paint Spray Gun. As far as the experiment is concerned I am quite pleased with the results. The finish is better than I could have done with a paint brush. And it sticks really well to the epoxy. It took quite a bit of sanding to get it off of my test area.
Tug Line
August 1999:
More and more epoxying. I've started to build the sides of the boat. This is something that one can work on while waiting for the epoxy to cure. The sides are Luan. I am holding them together by gluing a "tab" between both pieces. The glue is epoxy thickened with wood flour. It's quite strong. I've had to move the completed sides around and have been able to do it without damaging them.
Tug Line
July 1999:
More and more epoxying. My two year old loves to help me wash the boat between coats.
Tug Line
April/May/June 1999:
I've installed my first coat of fiberglass. It took quite a bit of time to complete. You can see the 2 seams in the fiberglass. The biggest problem was sanding the seams. My random orbital sander just wasn't up to that kind of job. Fortunately the Father-in-Law found an old Craftsman Belt sander in the garbage. He fixed it up and it works great! The belt sander really cuts through the epoxy. You have to be really careful not to cut too much. I'm using sealed 80 grit sandpaper and a chunk of rubber to keep the belt clean.
Tug Line
March 1999:
I have glued the keels on the boat. I've been very careful to make sure the boat was truly flat when they were glued on. It has paid off! We are on our way.
Tug Line
October 1998 - February 1999:
Winter has set in. I contacted SystemThree to ask about freezing temperatures and they said that epoxy will not cure under 32F. I have purchased the Douglas fir to make the keels. I used my radial arm saw to cut the keels out. The keels were then shaped with a Sureform, and then sanded smooth. I will have to wait until spring to attach them.
Tug Line
September 1998:
The chine logs are attached and the aft 2x2 has been installed. At my Dad's suggestion I didn't trim the ends of the center bulkhead support. He said that I could use then ends when it was time to flip the hull over. I followed that suggestion. I left about 5" on both sides of the boat. I installed an eye bolt in the end of the center bulkhead support. It was a simple matter for me to attach one end of my winch to the roof of the shed and the other to the eyebolt. I had two helpers stabilize the hull as I lifted it up. I lifted the hull until it was perpendicular with the floor. Then the hull was lowered with the bottom side up. The eyebolt worked great!
Tug Line
August 1998:
I purchased 15 gallons of epoxy this month. Since I live in Northcentral Wisconsin, I am concerned about it curing in a reasonable time during the winter months. The epoxy is mixed in a 2:1 (Part A to Hardener) ratio.

I bought the SystemThree Epoxy 3X5 pack, two five gallon jugs of Part A and two 2.5 gallon jugs of Hardener. With SystemThree you select the correct hardener for the temperature range. I bought 2.5 gallons of medium hardener and 2.5 gallons of fast hardener.

I am going to use the medium hardener this fall (temps from 70F - 45F) and switch to the fast hardener this winter (temps from 45F - 0F degrees). In the winter I keep my shed at 45F while I'm working in it, however, most of the time the temperature is just a few degrees warmer than the outside temp. I don't think I'll apply epoxy in January when outside temps fall below OF.

Recently, I epoxied the two interior shelves. The 'mustard pumps' I purchased from SystemThree have worked quite well. My random orbital sander, with 80 grit, cleaned up the imperfections in my novice epoxy work.

I have been experimenting with adding thickeners into the epoxy to create putty.

I found out that woodflour isn't as easy to work with as microballons. The woodflour does not sand out as easily as the microballoon mix. The woodflour plugs up the sandpaper.
This isn't a problem if you use 80 grit sand paper.

I purchased 12 12" foundation blocks. I plan on standing these block on end as a support for the tug.

After setting the four deck boards on the foundation blocks. I noticed that One of the boards wasn't quite square so I cut a new one. Once I put it on the blocks it started to look like a boat!

I've glued the plywood to the center bulkhead support. Pictures to follow.

Tug Line
July 1998:
After much thought, I decided not to build with Marine Plywood. This boat is not a traditional wooden boat, as all of it will be covered in fiberglass. The designer specified ACX plywood. However, many other builders have upgraded to Marine Plywood. Marine plywood is quite expensive and difficult to come by in the middle of Wisconsin. The plywood I purchased from a local building supply company is relatively free of voids and has a very nice hardwood face.

My wife and I cut out the four sheets that make up the bottom of the boat. In the process of working with it we discovered that some of the sheets were not square. Hey, what do I know? I always assumed that plywood is square. We were able to find four sheets that were square.

Next I cut out the Chine Logs and the two interior cabin shelves.

Tug Line
March/April/May/June 1998:
I learned about the CANDU-EZ in Sport Aviation. I immediately decided that I had to build one. I spoke with my father about it, he said it was the silliest thing he had ever heard of and to count him in. My Dad lives about 60 miles away from me, so we felt that he could help with the construction. I purchased plans, went to the library and set about learning how to build a boat. I spent a lot of time surfing the internet for boat building information, and reading "Boat Building with Plywood". I also joined the the American Mini-Tug Builders Association.

Valid HTML 4.01!