Site hosted by Build your free website today!
The Wayback Machine -
Site hosted by Build your free website today!


Marjorie Curtis Stucki

Personal History

April 27, 1929 --

Compiled by Marge and formatted online
(also available for a limited time in hard cover)

Childhood School Chores Holidays Teenage Years and Friends The University My Mother

(Shift key + click to listen)

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,

Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.

He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

Margie's college graduation picture

As I Have Loved You
I Often Go Walking
Army of Helaman
Favorite scriptures:
D&C; 45:3-5


LetterChildhood Memories top

In my father’s memoirs, he wrote that I was given the nickname, “Farina,” when I was born. She was a little colored girl in the movies back then. This was because I had darker skin at birth than my sister, Jerry. I was called Margie in school, and sometimes teased with the name, “Magpie.” I don’t think I was named after anyone in particular, but my favorite aunt was named Eleanor. Perhaps my middle name, Lenore, is after her.

One of my very earliest childhood memories was going on a trip with my family to the ocean in California. This was in February of 1932. I was age 3 at the time, Jerry was 4 years old, and Mary was a baby. My dad and mom had $25, and they decided to take a vacation. Prices were really cheap then, so my dad said. Gasoline was 11 cents per gallon, and butter was 14 cents a pound. On the trip, we lived on hamburgers that were six for a quarter.

My mother loved the ocean and would have lived right by the ocean if she could have. Dad and Mom had an old 1929 Erskine car. On the drive to California, I remember how my mother had to keep getting out of the car and walking with me, because I got so car sick. We would drive for a while and then we had to stop. We would drive for a while more and stop again. I think we walked half of the way.

We stayed in a cottage on the beach that was rented for $6 a week. Grandma and Grandpa Amott and their family went with us, and so we split the cost of the cottage. It would have been a very simple and plain one compared to beach cottages now days.

The earliest home I remember was at 1743 Princeton Avenue on the east side of Salt Lake City. It was a brick house of classic style, with a steep pitched roof and gable over the front door. In 1930 they paid $7000 for it. We didn’t live there very long though, because my father lost his job in 1933. It was during the depression, and we lost the house, car, and all our furniture.

We moved a couple times, and then in 1934 Dad bought the house at 2436 South, 7th East. It was pretty run down at the time. Dad had a contract with a neighbor, Sister Olson, to purchase the house for $1,800. It had a big lot, maybe a quarter of an acre, and the house sat back from the street. The south portion of the house was of wood, and had been moved to this location. Later an adobe brick addition had been added. There were two stories and a big around porch. When Dad finally paid off the house and got the deed, it had Parley P. Pratt’s name on it. (The wood portion of the house had belonged to him at one time.)

This house is where I remember living for most of my pre-marriage life. When I think about it now, it was a beautiful house, but my dad wanted to modernize it. He took off the porch and lowered the roof. We gave up two upstairs bedrooms for that!

I remember one day we had a really bad earthquake. It was during the time Dad was remodeling the roof, so the house was unstable. My mother had us play outside all day, and for several days after, because of aftershocks.

The upstairs of our house had three bedrooms. My parents’ bedroom was in the front, and Jerry’s was in the back. Mary and I had the middle room, and shared a double bed. In the bedroom, I had a dressing made table out of orange crates. Grandma Amott helped me make a skirt for it. I liked how you could look out of the upstairs windows and see the whole block. I longed for Jerry’s room though, and a room of my own. Her room had wallpaper that was lavender, pink, and grayish, and it had little fairies in caves and trees all over it. I used to love to lie in that room and look at the elves and fairies.

When Jerry got married, I finally got her room. I was going to the university by then. I went shopping with my dad and bought the cheapest wallpaper I could get on sale. It had red cardinal birds and peonies on it. I think it must have been the ugliest wallpaper in the world. Later, when they tore our house down, and I saw it before it was all down but exposed, all I could see was that cardinal and peony wallpaper!

The upstairs of our house had a door at the top of the stairs. In the winter we kept it closed to keep the heat downstairs. So the bedrooms would be very cold. Sometimes my mother heated bricks and warmed the bed by our feet. When we were little and shared a bedroom, I’m afraid I was mean to my sister, Mary. Even if we were freezing to death, I would tell her, “This is my half of the bed, and this is your half, and you better not lay one finger over the line!” One time she broke into tears and sobbed, “Margie, I love you—why don’t you love me?” I feel bad about that now.

In the back yard we had a vegetable garden, a chicken coop, plus our play yard. We could go out a back gate and into an alley. The other part of the yard had a pergola, lawn, a barbecue, a pond with water lilies and goldfish, and a bird bath. This is where we’d have outdoor parties and things. Mary’s wedding was held there.

In front of our house were trolley cars that ran to town. Dad would always ride the trolley to work. Later it became a bus route.

Our neighbors to the South were the Harwood’s. They had a daughter named Joyce, who was my age. I told her where babies came from and got in a lot of trouble. My mother never talked to me about things like that. Jerry told me, and I was so excited to know that I couldn’t bear to not tell my friend. Her mother came over and was so angry!

The next house down was a house with a grocery store attached. The Rowland family lived there. They had two sons, Glen, who was my age, and Oscar, who was Jerry’s age. (I see Oscar Rowland in Church movies all the time. He is usually playing a blind man or a leper.)

My mother would send us to the Rowland’s grocery store, often two or three times a day. Every evening, she would decide what to have for dinner, and then send us to the store to get what was needed. We could get a quarter pound of hamburger, or a pound of butter, for something like ten cents. My mother had a small change purse and she would give us a few coins out of it. There was a candy counter at the store, and if we ever had a penny, we could run over and buy something.

My dad built a playhouse for of us in our backyard. It was made of refrigerator boxes, which were a heavy board frame with sides of thin wood (not cardboard). The whole front of the playhouse was open with railing on the sides, and a board floor making a porch. We played every day in that playhouse, and always be something different. Often it was a school, or a hospital, and sometimes we played store. In those days, a clerk at a store like Penny’s would put the money from purchases in a little bag. It would be run up on a wire to a person sitting up high by the ceiling, in an office. We set up a similar sort of thing in our pretend store. One time we tied strings to every little part of the insides of the player piano (Dad had “remodeled” it), and we played telephone operator.

Frequently our playhouse was converted into a theater. We strung a curtain across the front, and set up chairs on the lawn for our audience. I can remember walking to the library in Sugar House—which was quite a walk—to check out books with little plays in them. In the upstairs of our house was a big attic where we would store things and our dress-up bag was there. It was full of things that were so much fun, like old lace curtains and dresses. We could find all kinds of things to use for costumes and curtains for our theater. There would be sword fights and fancy ladies, and we would perform for our parents and friends.

We had a patchwork of cement slabs just outside the back door of our house and sometimes we would take chalk and draw rooms all over it. We played with dolls and doll houses (that’s probably why I still like them so much). I was big on paper dolls, too. There was a swing in our backyard and we had a sand pile we played in.

Once, I was really mad at Jerry for something. I chased her through our backyard, running as hard as I could, and trying to catch up with her. I exceeded her speed, caught up with her, and pounded her on the back with my fist. My mother saw it all, and we were both sent to bed without any supper. She was so mad at us, but then she felt bad and brought us something to eat while we were in our beds.

Most evenings, I would go through our back gate into the alley, and to a field where a pony named Pie-Eye lived, (he had a black ring around one eye). All the neighborhood kids would gather there, and we’d play baseball and other games. I particularly liked baseball since my dad played. I was pretty good at it, too. My sisters weren’t as interested in baseball. I remember many times walking home after dark, down that dark alley, and never feeling afraid. My best friend, Iris, lived on the other side of the block and the alley was the quickest way to her house, too.

We had a piano at home, and I took piano lessons from Rita Tibbs for years and years. I’d get on my bike, ride up to about 17th South, and have my piano lesson once a week. She was an excellent piano teacher. Jerry and Mary took piano lessons, too. For all the lessons I took though, I never was very good at playing the piano.

One of my fondest memories was when my dad would come home from work on a Friday night, and say we were going to Mirror Lake. Dad had rigged up the car so that the running board held a cabinet he’d made. Inside, it contained everything we needed to go camping. It had a place for enamel dishes, a hand towel, the salt and pepper, etc., everything except perishable items. So we could be gone it seemed, in just a few minutes. I don’t remember that we had sleeping bags, but we did have a lot of quilts that my grandma made. She made quilts out of old, used wool clothing. We went to Mirror Lake many times. It was our favorite place to pick up a go to. I remember one particular time; it was pouring rain when we got there. I don’t know how Dad got our old canvas tent up. He dug a trench all around, so the water would run away. We were very cozy and dry, as long as we didn’t touch the canvas of the tent.

When I think about it now, I realize that we went camping because it was all my parents could afford. As a child I didn’t know any different, I didn’t know there were rich people and poor people. I thought everybody was like us, so you never felt sorry for yourself because you were poor. We didn’t need anything better than that. There was nothing that made me happier than to find out we were going to Mirror Lake!

JournalSchool top

The elementary school that I attended was called Columbus School. It was four long blocks away from where we lived, and we always walked. I can picture it so clearly, and I can remember almost all of my teachers’ names.

In 1st grade my teacher was Moiselle Renstrom. She wrote songs for a children’s song book which I have, with a record. She was a great teacher that I remember well. In our classroom we had storage closets where we would hang our coats. The doors slid up and down. There was one really mischievous boy named, Loren Jamison. One day Miss Renstrom got mad at him, put him in the coat closet, and pulled the door shut.

In 4th grade I had a teacher named, Miss Lyon. (All our teachers were “Miss” because teachers couldn’t be married in those days.) My dad thought I had the best penmanship in the world, but I got a NS in writing. An ‘S’ meant satisfactory and ‘NS’ meant not satisfactory. Dad was so upset about the grade that he went to the school to talk to my teacher. In 5th grade I had Miss Johnson. My best friend, Iris, and I were the teacher’s pets. We would stay after school to decorate the bulletin boards, correct papers, or do chores for Miss Johnson. We thought that was so great! She was a really pretty lady, and we just loved her. She always gave us good grades.

In 6th grade my teacher was Miss Rand. She looked like a grandma, but of course she wasn’t. Most of the kids laughed at her and were mean to her. She really wasn’t a very good teacher and I never connected to her like the others.

At the beginning of 6th grade, we had an assembly where it was announced which of the students would be privileged enough to have an assignment for the school year, (like the traffic police boys). All of the assignments were announced, and the only job left was the bell ringer. This was the most prestigious job of all. I had not been named for any job, although some of my friends had been. I felt sick that I wouldn’t be called to do anything. Finally the name was announced for the bell ringer job, and it was me! I never imagined I would ever have that job. The bell ringer left class early, and rang a buzzer for every period to change classes. Before school started, at lunch time, and at recess, the bell ringer would also ring a big hand bell in the front of the school, and then again in the back. I had never considered myself important in any way before this event.

Next I attended the articulating unit, which was 7th and 8th grade combined. This was at Irving Junior High in Sugar House. I remember a teacher I had there named Miss Benz. She was a little eccentric lady, but she really knew how to teach grammar and English. Anything I learned about that, I learned from her.

I went to 9th and 10th grades at Irving Jr. High, and then two years of high school at South High. When I graduated from high school, I was unmatriculate, which meant I was lacking some science credits needed to go to the University. Right after graduation, I went up to Canada to help my Aunt Eleanor during her pregnancy. I was influenced by all of the wonderful young people I met there, and I decided I wanted to go to college. So when I came back from Canada, I went to West High School for half a year to complete the one or two classes I lacked. Mary and some of our friends went to West High with me.

JournalChores top

Every year without fail, we did spring and fall cleaning. We did it before Mother got sick, and it was such a ritual with us, we did it even after she was sick. It was a great big house, and we cleaned everything. Dad would clean all of the walls with wallpaper cleaner. We would wash woodwork and everything else. It was always a big job.

For a while at first, we had a hired girl that helped my mom during the day until we got home from school. Then Dad would be home at about five o’clock. He really had a big load, and we all had to help. As a result, we learned to work. Monday was wash day; Tuesday we did ironing, and so on. I remember coming home from school on Mondays and going down into our spooky basement to do the laundry. We had a ringer washer that Grandma Amott had taught me how to use. Once my arm got caught in the ringer all the way to my elbow. It hurt because it squeezed so hard. I was lucky, because people would sometimes lose fingers in the ringer.

We helped with fixing meals too. I remember making a cake once, and thinking that if I put in more baking powder, it would come up really high. I put in so much that it was bitter and nasty. I learned a lot of things like that, the hard way. I got interested in looking at recipes and trying different ones. We would bottle tremendous amounts of food, especially peaches. Sometimes our friends would come help us do the canning, because we couldn’t go play until it was done. I remember all of us sitting around the table, and slipping the skins off peaches.

My mother would schedule the various rooms of the house to be cleaned every week, and she’d rotate the jobs. It really bothered me, because I would do an immaculate job and want to keep it that way. Jerry and Mary would do a less perfect job, and I would have to follow after them. One time, I got the opportunity to choose to either help my dad work in the garden, or do house cleaning. I jumped at the chance to help in the garden. I remember our garden in great detail, so I think I must have been weeding it a lot. It was a large garden and it produced a great deal. It fed our family. I loved working in the garden back then, so I think that’s where I got my love of gardening from. I don’t recall that Jerry or Mary ever worked in the garden or wanted to, and to this day they have no interest in gardening. We had chickens, and we raised a Thanksgiving turkey, so we never seemed to lack for food.

When my brother Rick was a baby he slept in a baby bassinet in my parent’s bedroom. During his afternoon naps, I would have to sit next to the bassinet and jiggle it until he went to sleep. I sat down below the bassinet where he couldn’t see me, and when I thought he was asleep, I would crawl quietly towards the door. So many times, just when I would reach the door, he would cry out, “WAAAAHHHH!!!” Then I would have to go back and jiggle the bassinet again until he finally dropped off to sleep. I remember having to do this many afternoons.

JournalHolidays top

Our family tradition was to spend Christmas Eve with Granny and Grandpa Curtis. Granny died in 1936, and I was born in 1929, so it was actually only a few years we were able to spend with them. They had what I thought of as a traditional English celebration of Christmas. We had dinner on Christmas Eve consisting of a big beef roast, Yorkshire pudding, plum pudding, and all the trimmings. We exchanged gifts. It was always a fun family event. The tradition of having a dinner and celebration on Christmas Eve has carried over into my own family.

One Christmas that stands out in my mind during those years. We came home from Granny and Grandpa’s house. It was probably around midnight, and Mother said to us, “Oh, you’ve got to go right upstairs! Don’t anybody peek in the front room, because Santa’s already been here!” I wish to this day that I had looked, but I was a good little girl. I didn’t peek, and went right up to bed as I was told.

After Granny Curtis died, we spent Christmas Eve with Grandpa and Grandma Amott’s family. Much of the time it was at our house on 7th East, because our home was larger. It was always a lot of fun, too. Grandma Amott usually made plum pudding with hard sauce, something I loved.

Our Christmases were always fun. When I think back on them though, I’m sure my family was short of money. We wouldn’t ask Santa Claus for very much. Every year, my mother would make new clothes for one of our dolls, but usually we wouldn’t get a new one. We had a custom of getting a “last” doll, and I kept mine. We would always get a book for Christmas. We would have new flannel nightgowns to wear, made by Grandma Amott. Our presents weren’t very extravagant, and often they were clothing we needed, and a toy or game.

One Christmas, I asked for something I wanted (now I can’t recall what it was), and didn’t get it. I was so naughty! I cried and was mad. My behavior ruined Christmas for me, and probably for everyone else.

We would spend Christmas morning as a family. Friends and family would visit. Then at a certain time in the afternoon, we would leave to go visiting. That was an important tradition and something we liked to do. We would visit Uncle Fred and Aunt Florence. I loved seeing what Aunt Florence got, because she’d get fancy clothes, slippers, lingerie, and all sorts of elegant things. One year, Uncle Fred wanted to give Aunt Florence new diamonds. She showed us her five (or however many) carat diamond. It was a fancy wrapped box with carrots arranged in it. We would have some of Uncle Fred’s fruitcake, which was really good fruitcake. It was a white fruitcake that he made a month or two before Christmas. They would have nuts and candy too, which we rarely had at home. So it was a special treat for us.

For Thanksgiving we always went to Grandma and Grandpa Amott’s house. Grandma was the best cook of Thanksgiving turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, pie, and the rest. I wish I had learned how to make everything she made for Thanksgiving dinner. Everything I’ve ever tried to make since, I’ve always used her as my standard of perfection. I’ve never been able to make apple pie or pie crust to equal Grandmas. She was a wonderful cook.

JournalTeenage Years and Friends top

My best friend from kindergarten through high school was Iris Miller. We were inseparable. She lived on the other side of the block from me, and I was always running over to her house, or she to mine. Her mother was kind to me, too, and on occasion she invited me to things with Iris and her, since my mother couldn’t go. I remember how sometimes I would help Iris with her chores. We would shake and shake her feather bed. It had to be fluffed before the bed could be made. Our ways separated after high school, when I went to Canada and to the University of Utah. Iris served a mission. After we were both married, we made a few contacts with each other, but then I lost track of her.

I was a good bicyclist and enjoyed riding. One day, Iris and I rode our bikes all the way out to the Great Salt Lake. It was a long way, and even harder and longer coming back. Another long trip on our bikes was to Harriman (west and south of Salt Lake City). Iris’s grandparents lived out there. As we were getting close to our destination, we came to a place in the road just covered with big, black Mormon crickets. The road was solid with them for 30 to 50 feet. We had to quickly ride through, all the time praying we wouldn’t have to stop. I remember the crickets crunching under our bike tires. I’ve never seen anything like that, before or since. We stayed at Iris’s grandparents’ farm for about a week. Iris’s dad picked us up and drove us home.

Iris had a friend named Don Clark. He found out that I had never been on a date, and had never kissed a boy. He invited me to The Rainbow in downtown Salt Lake. It was a place where the big bands played. That was my only date in high school. I never went to my prom or anything. I missed out on the social activities because I had to work. When I got out of high school and went to the Grand Canyon and to the University, I dated quite a bit then. I had a boyfriend, although he didn’t know he was. His name was George Beardneau, and he was the cousin of a friend. He used to walk past our house on the way home from school. I would wait and watch for him to come by. I thought he was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. He never knew I felt like that about him.

Every year as a teenager, I would go MIA Girls Home in Brighton. Jerry and her best friend, June, and my best friend, Iris, would go too. We loved to go there. We always went on a moonlight hike; we rode horses, and did crafts. I remember having a little bit of money one time and buying candy bars, which was something we didn’t have very often. It seemed like a real novelty to me at the time. The lodge we stayed in while at Brighton was a wood structure, and eventually it burned down.

On one midnight hike in Brighton, we were going up a mountain trail to a lake that we wanted to reach by sunrise. We came upon a coyote that was caught by the leg in a trap. It looked so tragically sad in its eyes that I’ve never forgotten it. I think it was trying to chew its leg off, so it could get away.

Another time at Brighton, I was on a runaway horse that was making a beeline for his home. I remember tree branches hitting me, while I hung on for dear life. It ran right into the barn with me on its back. Fortunately, I ducked my head down lower than the horse’s head, so I avoided being knocked off. That experience is very clear in my mind, and it was scary.

Jerry was a year ahead of me in school. She had a friend named Pat Doyle, and Pat’s brother owned the ski resort in Brighton. He would take Jerry, her friend June Okland, and Pat up to the resort with him on Saturdays. He went up to open the ski lift. It was a much more primitive lift compared to now days. In fact, skis and boots were primitive then, but they worked. It was a ‘T’ lift that you would straddle and it pulled you up the mountain. Sometimes there would be enough room and I would get to go, too. I was absolutely at Jerry’s mercy, whether I got to go with them or not. So many nights I would lay awake worrying, because Jerry wouldn’t tell me whether I could go or not the next morning. It was torture for me! I had a blue parka that I wore when I went skiing. I was pretty daring, and Pat’s brother called me “The Blue Streak.” I loved skiing with a passion. (And I was a better skier that Jerry).

Jerry had a job at a department store called Keith O’Brien’s. She sold shoes there, and was making pretty good money. So she could buy the clothes that I couldn’t. I would shop at good stores, but because I couldn’t afford the regular priced things, I would find something on a sale rack. It was usually pretty ugly.

In high school, if you didn’t wear Jantzen sweaters and Joyce shoes, you felt like you were just nothing. I don’t think I ever owned any of these name brand clothes myself. I would beg Jerry to let me wear some of her clothes. She would tease me at times about that, too. She wouldn’t tell me if I could wear something of hers or not until the last minute. If I could borrow one of her Jantzen or Dunkirk sweaters, I would be in 7th heaven. I would feel like I was dressed so beautifully. If she wouldn’t let me wear one of her sweaters, then I had to wear one of my old, homemade things. Joyce shoes were the other popular item. I don’t think I ever owned a pair of them either, but I sure longed to.

I went to early morning seminary some of the time that I was going to South High. It was hard to get there early in the mornings, because it was a long way away from my home. I never did graduate from seminary. Part of the time when I was young, seminary was held in the wards on Monday night. On Tuesday night it was Mutual, and on Wednesday, Primary. Everything was spread out through the week. Our Sunday meetings were spread out through the day, too. We had Sunday School in the morning and Sacrament Meeting later in the day.

My favorite movie star as a teenager was Alan Ladd. I thought he was the greatest thing in the world, and I saw all his movies. I also liked John Payne, Tyrone Power, and Gregory Peck. I liked Katherine Hepburn and Joan Fontaine. All of the old time movies that my children now watch were popular in my day. During the war there were lots of war movies. My friends and I would go the movies fairly frequently, but not as often as most people did.

Hit Parade was a program on Monday nights. They played the current musical hits, beginning with number ten on up to number one. I always listened to Hit Parade. My favorite singer was Vaughn Monroe. My boyfriend, David Hinckley gave me an album of Vaughn Monroe’s before he left on his mission. I played it all the time while he was gone.

When I wanted to learn to drive, my dad wouldn’t teach me. He had a bad experience teaching Jerry how to drive, and was very protective of his car. He would ride the trolley to work to save his car for other uses. When Dad was teaching Jerry to drive, he had a blue Ford car. Jerry turned into the driveway, but didn’t make a sharp enough turn. She went up onto the neighbor’s lawn and hit a poplar tree that was lying in their yard. Dad about had a fit! That was the end of our driving experiences. I don’t think he taught any of us girls to drive. Driving cars back then was harder than now, because there was no power steering or power brakes, and only manual transmissions.

Later on my boyfriend, Dave, let me drive his car. It was on my honeymoon trip to Yellowstone though, where I really got experience in driving. Richard didn’t know how inexperienced I was. He didn’t realize he was putting his life in my hands while he slept and I was driving.

I went to Canada after I got out of high school, because my Aunt Eleanor was pregnant. She had many miscarriages before, and she really wanted this baby. The doctor told her she would have to stay down and rest a lot. I went up to help her. Grandma Amott was my traveling companion on the bus, and then she returned home. I stayed there for about six months.

I remember how cold it was there. When Grandma and I got off the bus in Lethbridge, it was 30 degrees below zero. You had to put a scarf or something over your mouth in order to breathe, the air was so cold. I’ve never been anywhere that cold.

It started as a very good experience because I loved Eleanor. She had always been my favorite aunt. I loved spending time with her, seeing her house, and helping her. They had two little girls at the time, Melissa and Mary Lou. They were cute little girls and it was fun being with them. Eleanor and I would go shopping once in a while. I remember stores with beautiful China dishes and figurines from England. There were all kinds of beautiful wool things. It was a treat for me to see such beautiful things. We were just like girlfriends, and were so happy to be doing things together.

Going to Canada was also a great experience because of the people I met there as well. There were so many outstanding young people that I got to know, and who became my friends. They couldn’t have been more accepting of me. We sang in a chorus that performed at various places. I had never had an opportunity to do that before. (Jerry and Mary had told me I had a terrible voice, so I had never dared sing like that before.) I went horse back riding with a friend named Renee and others. Renee’s father raised horses. There were Church activities and parties for the young people. The LDS people banded together there, more than anywhere I had experienced before. Their social lives seemed to be centered around the Church and its activities. On Sunday nights, the Bishop invited all of the young people to his home. He had a recreation room in his basement, and they had food to eat. We played records and danced. It seemed to keep all of the young people together in a wholesome environment, and happy. It was a wonderful experience that I’m glad to have had.

Part way through my stay in Canada, things changed though. Besides helping Eleanor, keeping the house up, and fixing meals, I was also working for my Uncle Wayne, Eleanor’s husband. He was a dentist and I worked at his office. He had me work more and more for him, and I wasn’t home helping Eleanor when she really needed me. I think I was getting really homesick, too. So even though I loved Eleanor and the friends I had made in Canada, I felt it was best that I leave and return home. When Eleanor had the baby, I left for home.

JournalJobs top

The first job I ever had was at a potato chip factory on 7th East. I was pretty young. It was before I was in high school. There was a big container we stood around, and we used a scoop to put potato chips into bags. We couldn’t eat them, even though they were freshly made! I think I got ten cents an hour for that job. Later I worked at a punch factory putting punch in little envelopes.

All of the time I went to South High School, I worked at Dunford Bakery. Because I worked, I never got in on the social activities at school. I worked selling the bakery items, and I worked behind the scenes putting the cookies on trays, frosting cakes for the decorators, and that kind of thing.

When I was attending the university, I worked as a cabin maid at the Grand Canyon one summer. To get a job at Bryce, Zions, or the Grand Canyon, you had to have an “in” with someone who could get you the job. A friend of Jerry’s had a connection with the management; I think the railroad managed the parks then. Jerry and all her friends got jobs in Bryce Canyon working as waitresses. I wanted to do that so bad. You also had to be talented; to sing, dance, or play a musical instrument. They performed every night and entertained the guests at the resorts. I didn’t have qualifications along those lines. Jerry found out they were in need of cabin maids though, and they needed them early, before the season started. I applied for the job and got it, but I had to get out of my school classes. I had to finish them early and take the tests.

I worked hard at the Grand Canyon. We had to open up the cabins that had been closed all winter, and then we did the cleaning when the season began. The girls’ dormitory there was full, but because I was older, they let me and three other girls live in one of the tourist cabins. They were very outstanding girls and we became good friends. Two of the girls were from Provo and were attending the BYU. One of them had a boyfriend on a mission. They were a very good influence in my life. Two of my roommates were waitresses, and the other was a cabin maid like me. The waitresses made good money, so that was the more desirable of the positions. By the end of the summer, I got promoted to a waitress.

Living there for a whole summer, I got to love the Grand Canyon. I would see it in all different weather conditions and times of the day. One day off, we took a hike down to the bottom. It seemed very easy going down. We hid cans of juice along the way that we planned to drink on the return trip. At the bottom was a big pumping station with plenty of water to cool off in. Afterwards, we started back up, and it was one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. It was not nearly as easy as coming down had been. About half way to the top, one girlfriend told the rest of us to go and leave her to die, she was so tired. But we urged and pushed her on. We were practically crawling by the time we finally got to the top. We couldn’t go to work the next day or maybe for several days, because we were so stiff and sore. It was quite an experience.

While going to West High, I worked at another bakery. It was called West Side Bakery. I didn’t really like working there. It was old and not very clean. One day, I tipped over a big rack full of sweet rolls. I wasn’t my fault it fell over, it was because the rack was so rickety. I got fired, but I was glad to be done there.

One day as I was walking to Sugar House, I passed a house that had a “Help Wanted” sign in front. Maybe there was a sign on the house that said Utah Ceramics as well. Somehow, I had the gumption to go in and apply, even though I didn’t know exactly what the job was. I was hired and it was such a blessing because that job paid my way to the University of Utah. At Utah Ceramics, I painted ceramics on piece work. Some of the pieces were pictures done something like a comic strip. In time, I painted nicer items like figurines. I used to have a figurine that I had painted of Alice in Wonderland. We made bride and groom figurines too, for wedding cakes. The owner gave me one as a gift that I used for my wedding. One day in Castle Valley, I knocked it off the shelf in my closet, and it broke into a million pieces. I felt so bad.

There was a lady who also did painting at the ceramic shop. She was a Jehovah’s Witness, and I never liked to get into discussions of religion with her. The owner’s nephew, a returned missionary worked there, and he would often start discussions with her. Every time you would tell her anything plain out of the Bible, she would say that’s not what it meant. I remember how frustrating it was to try to talk to her about the Bible. I worked at Utah Ceramics for a long time, even after the ceramic shop was moved from Sugar House, closer to downtown. The move was convenient for me because I could get there more easily after classes at the University.

JournalThe University top

I attended the University of Utah. I had to work and paid my own way. My father said he would pay for my brothers to go to college because they had to make a living, but if any of his daughters wanted to go they would have to pay their own way. My brothers never went a day, but Jerry, Mary and I all went. I was the only one to graduate. It seems like I spent a lot of time riding buses while I went to the university. I took a bus to get there, a bus to get to work, and a bus to get home.

During my last two years, I majored in Home Economics. Dr. Virginia Cutler was the head of the department. She was a wonderful person and extremely creative. I learned so much from her. She encouraged us to keep learning all of our lives. She wanted us to have an upholstery class, so she would go learn from an upholsterer, and come back and teach us. I upholstered a chair for my project. We would have fancy dinners where we would learn not only about cooking and preparing food, but about serving and entertaining. We had things like finger bowls with little flowers floating on the water. I studied, worked hard and got good grades, especially in home economics.

I joined a sorority while at the university, although I had really never been very excited about belonging to one. Because Jerry belonged to Alpha Delta Pi, they made a big effort to recruit the younger sisters of members. Two friends I had at the university also joined the same sorority, and it put more pressure on me to join. So finally I did. It was expensive to belong to a sorority, and I didn’t like that. They had meetings and activities, but I felt like a fish out of water. I never participated much, or spent much time at the sorority house (many of the girls lived there). I didn’t feel like I had much in common with those girls. They played Bridge, and I learned to play although I wasn’t very good. Many of the girls did things I didn’t approve of like smoking and drinking beer. After a while, I decided I wanted to drop out which was pretty much unheard of. Sorority members usually didn’t get out until they left the university. So I became something of an outcast, actually.

After that, I joined Lambda Delta Sigma which I enjoyed much more. It was the LDS equivalent of a sorority or fraternity. I had much more in common with the people there. There were fun activities, and at a Lambda Delta Sigma roller skating party is where I eventually met Richard.

About this time, I started dating Dave Hinckley (he was a cousin to Gordon B. Hinckley). I met him because he was in our stake. He was on the basketball team in Fairmont Ward. My dad coached the basketball team for our Nibley Park Ward. So at times, Dave was on the opposing team. He was a very good person. We started dating before he left on his mission. He was called to the New England States Mission, which was the same mission Richard was called to. He served in Nova Scotia, but he and Richard were never companions. They did have some contact with each other though. Dave and I had an understanding when he left that I would keep dating while going to the university. He didn’t want me to be deprived of dates and social experiences. He said he hoped I’d still be there though, when he returned. I went to the train station to see him off. There were many people there from his ward, and lots of girls. He hugged me and told me goodbye. I wrote to him during his mission and he wrote me. I knit him argyle stockings and sent them to him, and lots of packages with goodies. When he finally came home from his mission, he was home two or three days before he called me. That was a mistake, I suppose. I was devastated and mad, so to get back at him, I went out with other people. That’s when I met Richard.

JournalMy Mother, Myrtle Hazel Amott top

My mother was an interesting person. She had lots and lots of friends. As a young woman, she was very pretty with large eyes and dark hair. She was athletic and yet she was tiny; small boned and slender. I have a box of her clothes, and I never could have worn them even at my skinniest. Her clothes were homemade by her or Grandma Amott. They were not too well sewn, but stylish. She was in the flapper era and she wore cloches and flapper style dresses.

Mother played the ukulele and performed in a group with other girls who sang, danced and played. They wore hula skirts and leis. She knew how to dance and was a good dancer.

Once she hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos with some friends, and that was no small accomplishment. They came down the mountain by sliding on sticks down the glaciers. She was daring! She loved the mountains. She loved horses and riding. I have pictures of her as a teenager wearing riding boots and jodhpurs. She was a good swimmer, too. She liked going out with friends. She would go to Brighton with her girl friends. In her day, a favorite place for young people to go to was Saltair at the Great Salt Lake. That’s where they were going, when she and Dad first met.

I remember very little about my mother before she became ill. At the time, I was only nine years old. One memory of my mother before she became sick was when she had her friends to our house for parties. She had parties outside in the pretty part of the yard and other times they played bridge inside. My mother sewed a lot of card table covers and napkins (that I now have). My sisters and I always had to go to bed when there were parties in the evenings. We would sit and watch everything out of Jerry’s upstairs bedroom window.

The morning following one of Mother’s parties, Jerry and I awoke early. We found the half-eaten bowls of bridge mix candy that our mother had left on the table from the night before. I’d never seen candy like that in my life, let alone tasted it. Jerry and I were sitting on our covered coal bin, and eating the leftover candy when I looked up and saw my mother standing on the back porch. She was looking through the screen at us. I can’t remember what she said, but she started to cry—I’ll never forget that—I felt so sorry; it broke my heart to think that I had done that to my mother!

I don’t remember my parents ever quarreling or having disagreements, except one time when we were very young. I have no idea what it was about. It was in the evening, and I hadn't been aware of anything until my mother suddenly got in the car and drove away. We all sat there bawling, because we thought she had left us forever. That’s the only time I remember my parents being mad at each other, which is really quite remarkable. I don’t know what my dad had done, but Mother did come home.

There were just the three of us girls when my mother became pregnant. We were so excited and we sewed blankets and little baby kimonos. My brother Rick was born, and it was after that Mother became sick. She was in the hospital for two weeks following the birth, which was standard practice, but she had a bad time in the hospital. They found her in her bed following the delivery and she had hemorrhaged. She was lying in a pool of blood.

After that, she was very weak and sick when she came home. This is what they attribute the onset of her rheumatoid arthritis to. My dad said it came on six weeks after she came home from the hospital. He said she didn’t walk a step for five years. It was a very severe and fast spreading type of arthritis. Dad moved a bed to a room downstairs for my mother. I remember, we couldn’t jiggle her bed or even touch her at times, or it would cause her to cry out in pain. My dad built a brace out of wood so that he could lift her, and it would take the weight of her legs. She couldn’t stand to be lifted without it. She couldn’t do anything without help. Dad would have to lift her into and out of the bathtub and that sort of thing.

Grandma Amott came to our house and helped a lot. She had to take a street car and transfer three times to get to our house. I knew she had done a great deal for us, but it wasn’t until I was the mother of children that I really realized how difficult it must have been for her. She was trying to run her own home too. I can’t imagine how she did all that she did for us.

After a while my mom improved a little, although she was still very sick. They would try every cure that anyone ever came up with. A man came to the house with a machine, and he would wave a wand in front of her. He returned every week and waved his wand again. I have no idea what it was, or how much it cost. She took a patent medicine called Nuovo. She got gold shots. They tried everything. She had priesthood blessings. My dad became quite discouraged and he quit going to church. He had to stay home to take care of Mom for one thing, but he was also a bit bitter for a time.

At some point in her life, one of my mother’s doctors started giving her Cortisone. It seemed almost like a miracle drug for her. It took away the pain and it made it so she could walk again. We could finally do things we hadn’t been able to do for a long time, such as going to a movie. This was when I was older and was going to the university.

A few years after Rick was born, my mother became pregnant with Allen. It is interesting that during the time she was expecting, she was better than she’d been for a long time. Somehow it seemed to make her healthier. She was excited, and she decided she was going to get better. All during this time she had not been able to walk. She had Dad build her a special chair. It was a straight backed wood chair that he put casters on. With this chair she was able to push and scoot herself around. Mother crocheted to try to keep her hands working. I have a beautiful tablecloth that she crocheted. That’s the only type of handiwork that she could still do after she became sick.

About this time or a little later, I had a project to do at the University. We had to plan and complete a home project. I talked to my dad and mother, and decided to work on our kitchen. We had really limited storage space. We designed, and my dad built, extra shelves in our kitchen cupboards so we could fit more dishes in them. We made little places for each group of plates or dishes, so they didn’t have to stack on each other. I hung the cups on little hooks. I also painted and wallpapered. Dad built a row of seats, and we upholstered them so we had more seating around our table. When it was done, Dr. Cutler, the head of the Home Economics department came to see what I had done. (I received an ‘A’ on my project). A short time after this, I can remember getting after my mother one day and saying, “Mom, can’t you at least sweep the floor!” Here she was, unable to walk and in the chair she had to scoot around in. I could kick myself for saying that now! I’ve thought about that, especially when we were in Winnsboro, Louisiana on our mission, and I first got arthritis. I regret that I ever criticized her for her housekeeping. I’ve realized how difficult it was for her, when I now had arthritis and could hardly do anything for myself.

JournalMy Father, Charles Arnold Curtis top

I always thought my father was a really handsome man. He was fun, and he loved outdoor activities. He liked hunting, fishing and sports. He played baseball on teams for the companies he worked for. We would to go to Waterloo Park and watch him play ball. Sometimes we watched plays like Shakespeare, at an outdoor theater, and he liked to do that. Dad had a good singing voice and often sang in quartets.

Dad only went to school until he was in the 8th grade. Then he had to go to work, so he didn’t attend any more school. He was a self-taught person and very smart. He loved to read, and he remembered details well. He could quote statistics from all of the baseball players and games.

During the years he was taking care of Mother and she was so sick, he was called as a leader for the teenage boys in mutual. The boys played basketball during that time, and he was the coach. He got involved with the church again through working in the young men’s program. Rick and Allen were probably Mutual age at the time.

Dad loved gardens and flowers, and he was an avid gardener. He grew gorgeous dahlias and gladiolus, which he loved. He always had flowers that we could pick for a bouquet. He grew a large vegetable garden which was a necessity for us. There were water lilies he grew in the pond that he built in our backyard. Behind that pond was a beautiful rock garden. I think he learned to love gardening from his dad who had a small, beautifully kept garden in his backyard.

Dad had a violin that his parents had given him when he was a little boy. He wrote in his memoirs, that he and Alexander Schriner (organist for the Tabernacle choir) played violins in the school orchestra. I never saw him play it. I remember seeing it up in the attic when I was a girl. I would open the case up and look at it. Later in his life, my dad took lessons and learned to play the piano. There was a teacher who came to our house and taught him, because he wanted so very much to learn to play.

Because of the depression, Dad had lost his job. At some point, he finally got a job at Utah Power and Light Co. I remember him working, for most of my childhood, in the teller’s cage downtown. That’s where people came to pay their power bills. My dad had to balance the cash he took in every day, down to the penny, or he would have to take it out of his own pocket. So he was always very precise and accurate. Later, Dad worked as a statistician for Utah Power and Light. He was very meticulous and had excellent penmanship. Once I saw a pay schedule he had written down for his whole life, and even at the top, he didn’t make very much money. They were better off than some people now though, because they were never in debt. They only bought what they could pay for. There were no credit cards back then, and I don’t think my dad even had checks until later in his life. Everything they bought was with cash.

At the end of the day, Dad had to go through all the money, and as he did he would sometimes find old coins. He would find Indian Head pennies or old 50 cent or dollar coins. He’d replace the older coins with his own money. After doing this for some time, he had quite an interesting coin collection. I remember looking at them and how beautiful some of the coins were. The funny thing about this is later when Mom and Dad had sold their 7th East home, and lived above Wasatch Boulevard, a salesman came to the door one day selling something. Mother must have really wanted whatever it was, but she didn’t have enough money. So, she went to Dad’s drawer and used some of the coins from his coin collection.

As a child, I thought my dad was the smartest man I ever knew. He could answer every question, and seemed to know something about everything. When I went to the university and started learning about chemistry, I finally realized my Dad didn’t know everything. I was almost elated to finally find out something that my dad didn’t know.

JournalGrandma & Grandpa Amott top

One of the highlights of my early years was going with Grandma Amott to town. We always went on the bus, because Grandma and Grandpa never owned a car. She went to town to pay bills. That’s what people had to do in those days, since they paid for everything with cash. Once in a while she would take one of us grandchildren with her. We’d go shopping and she would buy us something, or maybe buy some material to make us something. We would go to lunch at Kress’s and then go home. This is one of the ways Grandma would try to fill in as a mother for us. I never felt deprived at the time, and I didn’t feel sorry for myself. It was later in my life when I realized many of the things I missed doing with my mother.

Grandma taught me how to sew. I remember sitting on the floor next to her as she sewed on her treadle Singer sewing machine. I would push the pedal for her when she got tired. She taught me how to make my own little quilt. Often she made things out of used clothing. I could recognize fabrics from our dresses in her quilts. She always had a quilt on frames in her back bedroom, because quilting for her was a necessity. That’s where we got all of the bedding we used.

Grandma came on Mondays to do our wash, make bread, and whatever else was needed. Then she would go home and do all her work, too. She was energetic and so hardworking. I can remember her sitting on one of her upholstered chairs or the couch, and leaning her head back to take a five minute nap. She did that often, but she would never lie down on the bed.

Grandma and Grandpa lived at 1016 Emerson Avenue in Salt Lake City. I remember their home as being clean, white, and fresh smelling. Grandma was a fastidious housekeeper, although it didn’t keep anyone from using the house or feeling comfortable there. It was homey and inviting. In the front room there were white lace curtains on the windows. She would wash them, starch them, and stretch them on lace curtain stretchers to dry. She was probably the one who indoctrinated my mother with the idea of spring and fall cleaning. That was something she always did, too.

She had a fairly small kitchen. The sink and counter were on the east side where the sun shone in. She always had a potted shamrock plant in the kitchen window. Every year she would paint the kitchen cabinets and counter tops with shiny white enamel paint. They were so thick with paint. There was a white table and chairs, and a little shelf on the wall with an old-fashioned clock. I always wanted that clock. I found one in an antique store that reminded me of the one in Grandma’s house. You could hear it tick and it would chime the hours. There was also a white painted rocking chair, and an ironing board built into the wall. She could drop the ironing board down to do her ironing, and she ironed everything. She would fold her sheets and put them over the ironing board as she ironed other things. Then she would move the sheets occasionally to a different spot, so even all her sheets got ironed.

There was a big black Monarch cook stove that Grandma was a master at cooking on. At some point in her life, her family bought her an electric stove to replace the black cook stove. But she liked her old one better. She had it moved downstairs to the basement so she could run downstairs and use it at times. She served many years in the Church as a counselor in Relief Society, and then as the president herself. In those days the calling included helping to deliver babies, dressing the dead, etc. The church was across the street and down a little from their house. It was convenient for her to run over to the church any time. She was a respected and wonderful lady.

Very often we would go to Grandpa and Grandma Amott’s house in the evening after my dad got home from work. Sometimes Eleanor, my mother’s younger sister, would be getting ready for a date. We liked to help her get ready by polishing her shoes or doing whatever we could. She was very kind to her little nieces, and to let us be part of her life.

One time Eleanor arranged a concert for us. She played the piano, and my sisters and I played and sang. We wore long dresses we had made up. Eleanor made invitations with ribbons tied around them. Everything was arranged and made by her to be very special. She always had time to do things with us and include us.

My mother’s brother, Earl, was a favorite with us, and very kind to his younger nieces, too. He loved to play tennis, and sometimes he would take my sisters and me when he went to play tennis with his friend. I can hardly imagine how he would let us tag along. One time he took us out to the Great Salt Lake to go swimming. For some reason, Jerry got excited and began yelling and flapping her arms. She grabbed hold of my leg and pulled me under the water. I was very frightened and I remember Earl coming to save me. He picked me up and carried me to the beach. I had salt in my eyes and throat, and I was pretty uncomfortable for a while. I remember some funny things about Earl. One thing is how he would entertain us by walking on his hands. He was really good at it, and we thought it was pretty marvelous. Another time, he was at our house and I was in the kitchen with him. He opened the fridge and got an egg out. Then he cracked it, tipped his head back, dropped the egg in his mouth and swallowed. I was so shocked, and I thought that was pretty awful! I told my family about it, but Earl denied everything. He was just teasing me though. Earl had a good friend named Bill Gore. They had nicknames for each other. They both called each other Chris. Earl graduated from the University of Utah and eventually became a chemist. Bill Gore was in the same line of work as Earl, and was the one who created Gortex.

Grandpa Amott was an easygoing and jolly man. Grandma was the dynamo in the family, and ran things. Grandpa went along happily with that arrangement. I can picture him scrubbed clean and leaving for work in his blue denim bib overalls. He always took a lunch pail to work, and I’m sure there was a very good lunch in it. A few times Grandma packed my lunch for school. There would be a piece of her homemade apple pie and other special things. Grandpa was a plumber, and he worked for the Church much of his life. When he would come home from work, Grandma wouldn’t even let him into the house until he went downstairs and showered. They had a simple pipe shower in the first room of the basement. He would shower and get into clean clothes before he’d come upstairs. He was a good person and kind.

JournalGranny & Grandpa Curtis top

Granny and Grandpa Curtis’s home was very different from the Amott’s. Where the Amott’s home was bright and white, their home was formal and the furnishings were dark. Granny had diabetes and was not very well. She always gave us grandchildren little gray-colored licorice suckers. I remember I loved them. She died when I was seven years old and she was just sixty-two.

Grandpa Curtis was a very distinguished and handsome man. He was quiet, dignified, and kind, and he had a charming English accent. Grandpa had a nice little garden in the backyard, and he especially liked to grow roses. I remember one time he talked to me and said I was growing up to be a pretty young woman. He said something about my eyelashes and wondered what I did to make them so long. I never considered that I had long eyelashes before. I had always wished I had though. I told him I put Vaseline on them.

After Granny died, Grandpa remarried a woman named, Irene Patton. She had two grown children no longer at home. She was a very nice lady. For some reason my Uncle Fred, Aunt Winn, and Aunt Virgie thought it was wrong for Grandpa to get married again. Aunt Winn had taken care of Granny and not married until she was in her 30’s. The rest of their lives, they never associated with Grandpa and Irene. My father didn’t feel the same way. I’m so glad we still had contact with them. The whole thing was a tragedy that never should have happened.

Now, when I look back over my life to this point, I feel very blessed. I had good parents and grandparents. I had lots of friends who were a good influence on me. I made the right choices. I have always believed that my family and friends were known by me in the preexistence, and that we were sent at this time with a promise to help each other, so all of us would be together again eternally.

The following account was in Richard’s handwriting, apparently printed for one of the children to read as a talk.

When my Grandmother was a young mother, she became very ill one night and Grandpa called the doctor to come. While the doctor attended her, a neighbor came over to help with the children. She told the three little girls that their mother was very ill and suffering a heart attack, and that they better get down on their knees and pray for her or their mother would be gone before morning. They knelt down and prayed for her, and their mother recovered. She told her family that while she was so ill and unconscious, she saw her mother-in-law who was dead and in the spirit world standing at the foot of her bed. She held her arms out to Grandma, but told her not to come to her, that it was not her time yet. Grandma remembered this vividly and spoke of it to loved ones the rest of her life.

Heavenly Father hears and answers our sincere prayers, and His guardian angels, who are sometimes our departed loved ones, are nearby watching over those who love and follow the Savior.

JournalCastle Valley Journal top

I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, the second oldest in a family of five children. I worked at Dunford Bakery while attending South High School and graduated in 1945. The following year I attended West High School one-half year to get extra science credit (as I had decided to go to college). Then I went to Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada for six months to assist my uncle who was a dentist as his dental assistant.

In 1947 I started attending the University of Utah. I worked at the Utah Ceramics - painting ceramics - and paid for my college education myself. I majored in Composit Home Economics which also gave me a teaching cetificate.

In 1951 I graduated and secured a position teaching at the new Bountiful High School. I taught cooking classes and also supervised the students' home projects during the school year and the summer. I taught adult cooking classes at the school in the evenings.

I married in July of 1951 and after completing my first year of teaching, I began raising a family. I have five sons and three daughters, my youngest is now eight years old. During these years, I was involved in the LDS Church in a variety of teaching and leadership positions, some in the Relief Society - requiring homemaking skills and also in other capacities. I supervised the Relief Society Nursery for three years - making it a real nursery experience for the pre-schooler. Also, I was involved for many years in the development of the Meetinghouse Library - a center for visual aids for the teachers in the Church. During this time I subscribed to many magazines and took every opportunity to learn new skills, crafts, and especially developed my hobby of cooking for family and guests.

In 1973 the opportunity came to work outside the home as a gift buyer and later as ready-to-wear buyer for the Junior Dept. and also foundations and lingerie at LaRie's, a local ladies clothing store with four branch stores. I attended local and California buying markets each season; this gave me experience in office procedures and working with sales people.

This was a very full time job and I decided I was to involved for my family's welfare, so in 1975 we opened an Antique and Handmade Gift Shop as a family project utilizing the considerable talents of many of the family. We had a large collection of antique furniture, some of which we restored and also had a very unique handmade gift shop. My artist daughter and myself were the main contributors and we sold patchwork pillows, aprons, dolls, stuffed animals, tole painted articles, and much more. Doll houses and furniture were also an important part of our business. These were made by my husband and one son and finished and decorate by myself. We also sold handmade articles of others on a consignment basis.

In Fall of 1975 we found ten acres of good land in a beautiful valley and decided to change our life style to a beautiful dream we had always had. In Salt Lake we had crowded our small yard with a garden, many fruit trees and even chickens, but we were continually frustrated that we didn't have more land. We decided to "sell all" and make this great change in our lives. For the past year-and-a-half we have been modern-day homesteaders experiencing many trials and labors of pioneering. Starting with land only in June of 1976, we now have electricity, a well, a log building, fences, over 100-new-tree orchard, pastures, a very large vegetable garden, strawberry patch, other berries and grapes, a Jersey cow, goats pigs, chickens, sheep, turkeys, ducks, septic tank and drain field, animal shelters and even a play house and swing - all of which we have done as a family (except electricity and well). We make r raise all our own bread, cheese, butter, vegetables, meat and will eventually be nearly self sufficient. Our goal is to produce enough pure food for ourselves, to provide our children with opportunities to see the wonders of nature, to value family closeness, and the opportunity to learn what work really is. We are well on our way to achieving this.

Marjorie C. Stucki 11-26-77

JournalDaily Log top

Chapter 1 June 1976

June 4th - Friday
Robyn, Jeff and Kim and I arrived about 7:00PM. The evening was beautiful. We made camp and ate homemade bread, cheese and cookies - hot choc. mix with water. We slept in the back of the truck. The night was warm and starry. It cooled of by morning - quite cool. Our field had been plowed and disced.

June 5th - Saturday
All day we watched for the big truck. It was very hot - the bugs were bad (deer flies and gnats). We only had a little water. It was too hot to stay in the high fields. We tried waiting and resting under the trees - but the bugs were so bad. We ate the same food and drank warm water. We worked all morning removing rocks from our garden. Then we tried to irrigate. We finally gave up trying to accomplish something and just tried to survive the bugs. We covered our faces and selves to escape them. We tried to call home to see when they had left - no one was home at Hotz's, etc. Finally we called from a ranch up the main road - Cotton McGenty. (Jeff's cat disappeared this morning and hasn't been seen since). We talked to Brent. He said they left about 10:30. Finally we saw the big truck coming just before dark. We were glad to say the least.

Our large cheese was badly melted, and we had eaten nearly all the bread and cookies. When we went over to fill our small jugs (the big igloo cooler was locked in the front of the truck) our neighbors "The Ehlers" loaned us 2 large 6-gallon jugs. The water from their well was good - but warm.

June 6th - Sunday
We started mowing our camp down below in the trees. The Elhers came over ready Church but we couldn't go. We had left the pig and other things in the truck. We had taken the goats out and the chickens in their small coop. The goats were jumpy - Marmee especially. She would charge and broke her chain several times. Our neighbor said he would come over after church and level our field. The day wasn't as hot as the day before - there were clouds at times. Ehlers brought us ice and bug lotion and we finally had cold water. Randy worked on the truck. Russell arrived later that day. Robyn put up tents and we tried to get organized in our camp. We had a visit from a member of the Elders Quorum Pres. and his family. The ward here (Moab) is very inactive. Fireflies in low areas - fantastic!

June 7th - Monday
Randy and Russ worked on the truck all day and got the new engine in. I cut off more fence and tried to open up the area we needed to get thru that was fenced. Gregg helped tear out logs and large sagebrush to open up our road to the bottom area. We also put the concrete pipe in place and hauled dirt in the big truck. Randy left before dark taking back the truck, old engine and his tiller, which he never had time to use - sadly.

June 8th - Tuesday
Richard had been milking the goat with Gregg holding it - since we had no stanchion. Robyn started learning today - not much milk this morning because the goat kicked it over - but tonight she did well. I made bread and baked it at Ehlers and made them some dough.
We irrigated the vegetable garden to get it moist for planting. Robyn found Jeff's cat - thought it was hurt - but probably sick. Today Robyn, Mat, Jeff, and Kim and I raked the road down to the camp into a heap of leaves and twigs to the center. We got Gregg to trim a branch - the kids call their horse. It bounced as he was cutting - so I held it. Somehow the chainsaw hit my left hand (I had gloves on). It cut my little finger and right through the fingernail on my ring finger. I felt very lucky I didn't lose some fingers. They seem to be healing well. Michael Davis came today and brought our fridge, Robyn's trunk of tole painting supplies, 2 bikes, and a double bed mattress from Longakkers.

June 9th - Wednesday
We planted three rows in the garden today. We have to fork the rows and have to remove large roots and rocks. Richard irrigated and worked on the chicken coop. Russell got the truck started after many problems. He and Richard went to Moab once for parts. Russ went again. The evening are beautiful and cool - as are the mornings - but the days are very hot. We had to kill Jeff's cat today - it was too sick.

June 10th - Thursday
It has been extremely windy and dusty today. We planted 4 more rows in the garden. It is very difficult - it wasn't plowed enough. Russell and Gregg went on the Colorado River for a run today. Richard and I tried to finish the chicken coop. We had hot days with fried bread in the dutch oven. It burned on the bottom and sides. Gregg hurt his hand bad carrying the truck top down below to make the kitchen area. Richard and Russ drove the truck to the Adventists to return a tool they borrowed. I'm still not sure whether it's ready to run or not.

June 11th - Friday
It was amazingly cold today - a cold, clear wind not like yesterdays dirty one. We got a lot planted in the garden. I asked the Adventists to plow and disc again. It is so hard to dig as the sod is still intact in so many places. They came later in the day - but just with the disc which he used over and over it and finally quit when it broke. Said he would be back Sunday morning to finish. Richard marked off our new doorway, and we moved the pig to its larger and better home. Russell adn Gregg worked fencing it in. Seems like we made a lot pf progress today. We were awakened twice in the night. Once by dogs barking and Marmee bleating. Once later when Luxton's old house burned to the ground.

June 12th - Saturday
Robyn and I planted some hilled melons, cukes and squash - then went to Moab. We washed the clothes (dropped the boys off first at the swimming pool (35 cents each) had paid showers $1.00 ea. Robyn, Kim, and me - then went grocery shopping. We bought a root beer float to enjoy on the way home. Richard had visitors while we were gone. The Cal Jenkins from our ward in S.L., and a couple and their children from the 7th Day Adventists. It was wonderful to go to bed clean. We sleep well here usually. We had a good ground beef stew with onions, potatoes, and carrots in. The irrigation ditch flooded over the road and watered our garden - but no damage done thank heavens! Dad milked Ehler's goat.

June 13th - Sunday
We all slept in and Dad did all the chores this morning. Then he went to call Leslie to see how things are at home. The chickens finally got in their new home - after a few fights they settled down. Cool and windy today. We (Robyn, Jeff, Kim, Mat and me) went for a drive after lunch to see the burned house and then up to the forest we went - higher and higher 'till we finally ran out of hard surfaced road. It was a jeep road rutted and rocky - but we carefully made our way and saw beautiful trees - pines, quaking aspen, wild flowers, water, bridge, deep crevices and rocks. Prettiest canyon anywhere. Wanted to go further but was afraid for the car. We didn't go to church - but we did have a day of rest compared to other days. I tried to milk the goat today - but conditions were so poor I had too much trouble. So did Robyn - the goat kicked over the milk twice. Richard had o finish - still got a quart, however. The boys went hunting, for rabbits, I guess. It's very windy this evening and cloudy. Dad is making nests for the chicken coop. Gregg and Russ went hunting and had roast rabbit late. It was very windy and rained a little in the night - very cold.

June 14th - Monday
Finally got milking the goat. I tied its leg and made it wait for me to learn. The boys (Russ, Gregg, and Mat) went rafting again on the Colorado.

June 16th - Wednesday
Russell and Gregg went hunting. Gregg got rabbit.

June 17th - Thursday
Used Ehlers tiller and shredder and got a lot more garden planted. Made 2 more compost holders.

June 18th - Friday
Richard and I went to Paradox and got wood for kitchen.

June 19th - Saturday
Shower time! Started building kitchen. Richard went down for shower. Gregg and Russ went to Oowah Lake for the day - went hunting later and got a rabbit.

June 20th - Sunday
Russell left today. We went to church for first time.

June 21st - Monday
Worked on kitchen. Rained some at night.

June 22nd - Tuesday
Bad thunderstorm, lightening, etc. Flash flood really damaged the stream area. Everybody ok though. We went to Cortez. Our electricity hooked up but not working.

June 23rd - Wednesday
Electricity finally today! Bad thunderstorm. Richard started building our (girls') tent.

June 24th - Thursday
Slept in our tent on floor for the first time.

June 25th - Friday
Too hot - mosquitos bad! Did shopping in Moab. Boys went to Cortez again - home late.

June 26th - Saturday
Showers, swim, etc. and shopped for party.

June 27th - Sunday
Robyn, Kim, Jeff and I went to Church. Dad worked on shelter for the animals. Gregg killed a rattlesnake.

June 28th - Monday
Our first party. Weener roast with the Ehlers and Headdins. Served baked beans, potato salad, punch, chips. The goats and pig got their sun shelter, and we got our steps.

Later continued...


Chapter 2 January 1979

January 18, 1979 - Thursday
I think I am feeling better today — at least I have a spark of enthusiasm growing in my mind. Whereas yesterday I felt no energy to do even the most mundane things — today I find it hard to lay in bed and my mind seems like it could be interested in doing something. I got up and dressed, did some dishes and wash, and then remade an older white lace type tablecloth over to fit the round table in the kitchen. Richard finally came home nearly at noon and Robyn came over briefly to get water. Some neighbors came over needing someone to help administer to Mike R. and Richard and Gregg went to do it. In the afternoon I went down below to the bunkhouse and found a few things I wanted. A box of books marked "mine" of most interest. I read a talk given by Boyd K. Packer at a BYU Fireside called "Eternal Love." He paid great respect to his wife who must be nearly perfect. Jason was home today being Thursday and Jeff and Kim were home still ill but probably able to go to school tomorrow. I found down below a sheet and the bed pad to our queen size bed and washed all and finally slept in a clean bed with proper pad and matching sheets for the first time in a long while. I had Randy drive me to Robyn's to get a pattern for robe for Gregg, which I will make tomorrow. Before going to bed I built a fire in my room to warm it up and began reading a book I'd found below called "There is a Way Back." It was very interesting, and I kept reading until after 11:00 PM and finished it. One sentence that seemed to have special meaning to me was pg 58. "Don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of anger and frustration. The spirit cannot operate through you if you are subjected to such negative and destructive influences." Also, the last chapter was very special, and I would like to reread it often. Gregg fixed the entire dinner tonight a cake, whole wheat rolls and meat to put on them, vegetables. I contributed alfalfa sprouts and yogurt only. It was very much appreciated by me.

January 19, 1979 - Friday
There were four or five more inches of snow when we awoke this morning. It was very slippery on the roads for the school bus and Bevah didn't make it to work — so she and Randy left early for Provo — rather than after she got off work. This has been a real winter. Since the first snow there has been continuous snow on the ground from very frequent storms. I had my usual morning work to do then started making Gregg a bathrobe. Robyn came to do her wash in the afternoon and I sewed. In the evening I read some more booklets from and early Education Week I attended. I read "How to Be Happy" by Marion D. Hanks, "I Have to Go Home" by Reed H. Bradford, and "Keys to Successful Living" by Paul H. Dunn. These were most inspirational and the thing that touched me most was at the end of Bro. Dunn's address to the students at BYU. He said "Most of what I have suggested to you today will not be remembered past next week, but that is normal because the retentive power of the human being is very short. This much I do know, young people, and I hope you will not forget. During the past hour you have listened to one who actually knows that God is real, that Jesus is the Christ. I have been given a special witness. Why me? I don't know, except that I am grateful for that blessing. " (page 16)

January 20, 1979 - Saturday
A usual Saturday where all our plans are sidetracked for "emergencies that arise" that day. Dad planned on working on the wall in the family room, Gregg cutting wood, and Mat going to get a load of wood for Ernie with the Aaronic Priesthood group - but they all ended up going to get wood. Two loads for Ernie and one for us and Jerry E. so all was not wasted altho it took all day. My cleaning, baking plans for preparation for Sunday were sidetracked partially to tie a quilt for Johanna Ehlers baby boy - as Penny and Mary were planning to go to Calif. next week. I felt depressed in the evening so I went to bed early at 8:00 and didn't sleep for 3 to 4 hours after much torment.

January 21, 1979 - Sunday
The missionaries in this area spoke at sacrament meeting today. They did very well. One sang a song unaccompanied. It was particularly nice. I thought of my boys who will soon be speaking to groups of us. Seeing Gregg at the sacrament table and all I was very weepy. I could hardly control myself. Why is it I want my sons to go on missions (something I have wanted for a long time) and now that it's here I don't want them to go? I'm afraid for their safety, and I know I will miss them so much. I hope I can make it through another week without breaking down. I went visiting teaching with Penny later and we saw Johanna and her baby boy. Poor Ruth Johnson - still living in her plastic bubble for warmth and today the new carpeting was wet from leaks in the roof. Joe Kingsley woke us at 11:00 PM saying Randy had called. Richard went to phone him back and found they were not coming home as planned as Bevah has been ill from her ulcer. He had to go tell her mother so she wouldn't worry all night as I would have done, too.

January 22, 1979 - Monday
Today everyone went to school, even Gregg to be on a panel at Seminary all day. It's the kind of day where everything I do today will need to be done again tomorrow, dishes, yogurt, bread washing, cleaning the bathroom etc. But the sky is clear and a beautiful big blue sky and although there's snow on the ground Spring is just around the corner. I want to buy new blue and white curtains for the kitchen that I found in the new Sears catalog. zWith a new tablecloth, too, it would take $50. How I wish I had $100 to spend just on things I would like. I would buy the curtains, tablecloth, a mattress for the brass day bed, wallpaper for the kitchen and a new set of dishes like Robyn's blue and white ones and silverware as hers - both of which were my choice long before I told her about them. It would take $200 or more. We didn't have family night tonight - but Dad read to the kids - I couldn't sleep until late.

January 23, 1979 - Tuesday
Another very cold day but clear and blue sky. Finished Gregg's robe today and now I must make his pajamas. I went to Moab with Richard at 1:00 and did some shopping then came up on the bus. Fixed dinner of rice and tuna in cream soup, yogurt and peaches and bread sticks and milk. Robyn was here and Joe Jarman - then Mat's friend Jeff Pueblo. Hardly enough to feed all the extras - but I did. Robyn and I talked a bit and she told me to read Spiritual Roots of Human Behavior and I Challenge You; I Promise You. I bought a new craft magazine which had some very nice things in and lifted my spirits. I must get everything finished I've started and then I can start on something new.

January 24, 1979 - Wednesday
Along with morning chores I started cleaning the stove. Today was Relief Society and Ruth Fenton gave the lesson on "The Value of Work." I spent part of the afternoon rehemming Randy's slacks he bought at ZCMI because the had been done uneven. After dinner I cut out Gregg's pajamas. Gave Richard a shampoo and blow dry before he left in the afternoon.

January 25, 1979 - Thursday
Cleaned the kitchen counters and worked again on the stove until my metal scrubber gave out. Started sewing Gregg's pajamas, but Robyn came and after lunch we went through the vegetable seeds I had on hand and I shared some with her. We wrote a combined order for Harris Seeds and saved quite a bit of money buying larger amounts of seeds and then we'll divide them. This took nearly all afternoon. I fixed supper, then read Prevention Magazine while Richard read to the kids. Still don't know how many house guests we'll have this weekend or if we will any. Jason coughed so much yesterday and came back on the bus with Richard saying he didn't feel good. Also, today he has coughed nearly as much.

To be continued...