Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
A Little Too Far

(June 1999)

PART ONE
BY: ae

Nan pressed the cool, smooth, round stone into her palm and studied the water that lay out ahead of her.

She had to get at least four skips to beat Dan. Bringing her hand back to her shoulder, she swung if forward and flung the rock into the air. It hit the water, skipping once…twice…three…four…five times.

She jumped up and threw her hands in the air. Gleefully, she chanted, "I win! I win!" After calming a little, she added, "again. That's three times today." Nan held up three fingers triumphantly for Dan to see. And he said she couldn't do it! Hah!

Dan groaned and punched the air with frustration. Nan had beaten him, again! Like she said, it was the third time that day.

"Awe, it's just beginner's luck." He commented ruefully.

"Beginner's luck? Dan, I'm not a beginner. I'm far from it, and you know it!" Nan shot back, defending herself and then bowed at her clapping audience-which consisted of the only other female student of Plumfield-Bess.

Nat would have most likely been sitting there beside her, but was sitting on Dan's side because none of the other boys had joined them.

"Thank you, thank you." She smiled and took one last sweeping bow. Bess clapped a hand over her mouth and laughed, then suddenly straightened, turning deathly serious.

"Miss Harding, you are acting quite unladylike. I will not tolerate that while you are under my tutelage." Bess's face was set sternly, while she acted quite like Miss Snumperding-her third tutor-with her snobbish, I'm-better/higher-than-you-and-shouldn't-be-here-right-now air.

They all laughed out loud, except for Dan.

"Is that really what," Nat paused for a second to slap at a bug, "she was like?" Nat turned around twice, trying to catch the moth that kept pestering him.

Bess nodded. "Miss Annabelle Snumperding didn't stay for very long."

Nan and Nat both raised their brows in surprise. Could Bess really have been that bad to scare off her tutor?

Seeing Dan not participating in the conversation, Nan elbowed him gently.

"You're not still frettin' over me winnin' are ya?" She smiled sweetly.

He gave her a don't-you-wish smile. "Aren't you just so funny."

"Yes, I am. Bess said it herself." Nan batted her eyelashes, and rested her hands over her knee.

"Go jump." Dan said, turning and walking away. He folded his arms and looked out over the foliage. He had to think of something else. This time, something he would most certainly beat her at.

*~*~*

Dan's eyes lit up and he swerved around. "I've got another idea." Instead of getting any sort of reply or interest from Nan, he got a frown from Nat.

Obviously Nat didn't think it a good idea, but Dan didn't let that stop him.

"Do really think that's a good idea?" Nat questioned, uncertainly.

"You guys have already had one run-into-the wall contest, a game of Capture the Flag and a skipping rock contest. Isn't that enough for one day?"

Nan seemed to stop and think about it. "What's your idea this time, Dan? Are you sure you're ready to lose again?" She rested her hands on her hips, eyes gleaming.

Dan ignored the comment, hoping Nan would not back down on his idea.

"What is it?" Nan repeated impatiently - again - after a minute's silence.

Nat stood up and spoke again.

"Dan, Nan, we ought to be getting back for chores. It's getting late, and you don't want Mrs. Jo or Nick to come looking for us. You know she goes into a tizzy when something like that happens." He was hoping to distract the two away from trying another crazy stunt. The extremes they went to, just to prove who was faster - or better for that matter.

Dan continued on, acting as though he hadn't even heard Nat. "Whoever can race Marty down to the old stump, jump over it, and get back the quickest, wins." The competitive gleam came back into Dan's eye.

"Isn't that a bit high?" She asked, hesitantly.

"Are you afraid to jump it?" He challenged. Nan pursed her lips tightly.

"No I'm not. Can't you do any better than jumping over and old rotten stump anyhow?"

Bess, who had been sitting by and watching the exchange, stood up. "Honestly Dan, even I could do that." She reasoned. "And beat you." She finished with a smirk.

He let out a laugh and turned to face her. "Yeah, and I'm Dr. Pierce."

"That's not funny, Dan. Dr. Pierce is a nice person." Nan and Nat both said in sync.

Dan noticed Bess's eyes were gleaming with leaping fire. "You don't think I could do it, do you?"

"Bess, you couldn't do it even if you wanted to." He replied sarcastically.

She glared at Dan and crossed her arms tightly. "You are…Are…Pig-headed and arrogant!" She shot back, even more frustrated than before.

Dan looked back at her, not bothering to hide his surprise. Sweet, feminine, fragile Bess was capable of saying something like that? Pig-headed and arrogant, hmm? She thinks I'm pig-headed and arrogant! He tried to muffle his laugh.

Bess spun around angrily. You just think you are so good. She thought vehemently. Well, Dan, you might just be in for a bit of a surprise when you see just how well I can ride. Bess couldn't help but giggle. She was sure his reaction would most likely be a humorous one.

"So do you want to do it or not, Nan? It's not like you have all day to decide." He pressed her for an answer, clearly running out of patients.

Nan finally agreed. "Okay, I'll do it."

Dan let out a whoop.

"But not today. We don't have enough time before chores. And not enough time after chores because of dinner and homework."

That flattened his excitement. Dan frowned with disappointment, but reluctantly consented, knowing she was right. "Alright then, tomorrow afternoon after school." He reached out for her to shake on the agreement.

Nan nodded and clapped his hand with hers.

"All right, Dan. If you insist." She cast another sly glance up at him. "Then prepare to lose."

PART TWO
Little Men Fan Fiction