Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
An Unexpected Rival

July-August 1999

PART ONE
BY: ae

Jo hugged her shawl tighter around her, and continued up the hill to the barn-turned-school. The cool October air was chilly, stinging her cheeks and nose.

The warmth of schoolhouse was a welcome feeling. Franz had just dismissed class, and the children were busy gathering their things.

"Hello, Mrs. Jo." Nat smiled at her when he looked up and saw her there.

"Good afternoon, Nat." Jo smile in return and quickly called everyone to attention. "Children, if you could please quite for a moment, I have something that I need to tell all of you." She stepped toward the center of Franz's big desk.

"I've just had word from Peterskill Academy that they have had extreme damage done to their roof due to last night's storm. They have to close the school for a week or two while repairs are done, and all students are returning home. However, four of them have not been able to return home on such short notice, and we have been asked to keep them." She stopped momentarily, taking a breath.

"Are they gonna stay with us?" Tommy questioned, getting right to the point.

"Yes, those four students will be arrive in two days - staying with us while their roof is being repaired." Jo noticed all the children exchange glances.

"Do ya know which students are gonna be stayin' with us?" Nan asked, everyone knowing which student she was asking about.

"No, I do not know that. I only know they will be here in two days, and will be staying with us for a little while."

After winking at Nan, she added. "Since we're having guests so soon, I expect everyone to help with the indoor house chores."

Everyone knew that statement was pretty much meant for Nan. She hated house cleaning!

Nan groaned, sliding down in her desk. When no one made an effort to move Franz spoke. "All right, everyone. You heard Aunt Jo. Let's get moving."

*^*^*

So in those two days before the "no-name" Peterskill students arrived, Plumfield was transformed, rearranging this, scrubbing that, or adding so and such. But amazingly enough, everything was clean and completed before they arrived on the second day.

*^*^*

"Now everyone, remember to be polite and make them all feel welcome. Don't forget to show them around, and try to remember to invite them to join you in any activity you may do such as games."

Franz finished 'lecturing' his class. Everyone nodded, seeming to understand, but Franz still wondered if they were just doing it to 'get out of class' sooner.

"And remember…" He cleared his throat. "Even if they are rude, and not trying to make effort, turn the other cheek and try again." He glanced sternly over the room, knowing that would be the hardest thing of all for his students. "All right, everyone, class dismissed."

*^*^*

"Shouldn't they be here by now, Mrs. Jo?" Dan grumbled, feeling frustrated, cold and impatient. He still wished these students, Cade or not, weren't staying with them.

"Don't worry, they'll be here when they get here." She rocked gently back and forth on her wicker rocker. Everyone continued to mill around, unpatiently. Frustration was marked clear on their faces.

Nick grinned at everyone's restlessness. "You guys want me to teach ya a new game? It won't do any good to pace a whole in the front porch, that I just finished fixing."

All the children laughed Jo and Franz included.

Jo knew they were all waiting for her say-so. "Go ahead, just try not to get dirty." She winked, as their perplexed looked changed to smiles.

"Okay, now, this game is called Captain may I. But it can also be called Mother or Father May I. Now you 'elect' one person to go and be the mother/father/captain and they stand up front." He pulled Bess forward, placing her in that position. She looked surprised, but didn't argue. "Now, she's gonna tell you guys what you may do, but before you do it, you have to say "mother/captain/father may I. If you forget, ya have return to your place in line, all the way back to the beginning. Understand?"

Nine heads nodded vigorously. "Okay Bess, tell 'em somethin' to do."

"What do I tell them? Are there certain things?" Bess looked utterly confused.

"No, just tell them anythin' ya want. Like for instance, Nan, take two frog hops forward. Anythin' like that."

Bess nodded, seeming to get it. "Okay, Tommy, take to frog hops."

He grinned broadly, and triumphantly jumped three feet ahead of everyone else. Bess shook her head at him, crossing her arms. "Why? What I-" He scowled, and sullenly stepped back in line.

"Robby, take four giant steps." She winked at him and he grinned.

"Mother may I?" At Bess's go, he stepped forward, glancing back at Tommy.

It was nearing Dan's turn, when two carriages jostled up the dirt road to Plumfield.

"They're here!" Tommy was the first to break away from line. Everyone crowded forward, leaving Jo to stand at the back of the group.

She rested both hands on Nat and Bess's shoulders. "Mr. Duddley." Jo reached out to shake his hand. A half-balding man stepped down from the carriage.

"And you must be Mrs. Bhaer?"

Jo nodded. "Are your students here with you?" She inquired, casting a glance toward the other carriage.

"Yes, they're all in the other carriage. Boys!" He waddled over toward the carriage, and waited as the driver opened the door. "This is Peter Longley." The with blonde/brown hair stepped down as Mr. Duddley moved to introduce the other students. "Anthony O'Connor, Samuel Paxson (sound familiar?) and…"

All three boys stood lined by the side of the carriage, luggage in hand. "This is Cade Mulroony."

PART TWO

Little Men Fan Fiction