Remains of the Eloia Theater
in downtown Calvert.
CANADIAN - The 1909 Palace Theater was restored in 1998 for $1 million
dollars. It shows a single first-run movie at a time.
The 1946 Plaza Theater in downtown Canton
closed in 1996 & now the Canton Plaza Museum.
Plaza Theater in downtown Carrollton, opened
in 1949 and was ran by the Lowrey family until
1993. The Plaza theater was the only venue
for movies & local performances in Carrollton
for decades. After it was closed, the Farmers
Branch Church of Christ bought the structure.
Later it temporarily housed the Grapevine Opry.
Recently the theater was renovated and is now
the Plaza Arts Center.
The Rio Theater in downtown Center still
shows first-run movies. Prior to 1941, it
was the Shelby Theater.
Pix Theater in downtown Centerville is now
part of a church.
Palace Theater in downtown Childress opened
in 1926 but burned to the ground in 1936. A
new theater was built the next year but closed
Remains of the 1920s Palace Theater was in downtown
Cisco. The Broadway Theater (below) was located in
the building before the Palace was built. The Palace
was the first to have a water-cooled air conditioning
system. Another theater in Cisco was the Texas which
showed the first sound movies. In Sept. of 2008, the
old Palace was destroyed and all the equipment inside
crushed. The Judia Theater was built in 1919.
Broadway Theater (1910) Judia Theater
The 1946 Mulkey Theater in downtown Clarendon is being
renovated into a live performance hall & movie theater.
Remains of the Esquire Theater near
the square in downtown Cleburne.
The Palace Theater is located in downtown
Colorado City and was closed for many year.
Recently it was restored & opened as the M3
Palace theater with digital projectors.
The 1921 Palace Theater is located in downtown
Corsicana and was recently refurbished for the
Corsicana Opry which specializes in country-
western and gospel music.
The Ritz Theater is located near the square in
downtown Crockett & still open.
DAINGERFIELD<!IMG SRC="images/tx/oldshow.jpg" alt="Morris Twin Cinema in Daingerfield" title="Morris Twin Cinema in Daingerfield" width="250" height="188" border="1" align="left" /> - The 1949 Morris Twin Cinema is located in downtown Daingerfied. It
featured the world premiere of the movie "Meet Wally Sparks" with Rodney Dangerfield
in 1996. The Morris is still open seven-days-a-week with a ticket price of 99 cent.
The Arcadia Theater is located on lower Greenville
Ave. and opened in 1927 as a combination movie house
and vaudeville theater. It went on to become one of
Dallas' leading neighborhood theaters. It closed and
later became a music venue in the early '80s. On
June 21, 2006 it burned and the roof caved in. Later
in 2006, the remains were torn down for new shops.
The Carnaval Theater opened in 1947 on Harry Hines
Blvd. Known as the Circle Theater at times. After
closing, it became a disco hall and later a bingo
hall. The building is now vacant.
Casa Linda Theater is located in East Dallas in the Casa Linda
Shopping Center at Garland Road and Buckner Boulevard. This
was the second theater in the United States to be as part of a
shopping center. Construction of the theater by B.R. McLendon
took nearly five years due to the shortage of building materials
after World War II. The theater closed in January, 1999 with
the final films showing: "A Bug's Life", "Prince of Egypt",
"You've Got Mail" and "Mighty Joe Young". After years of being
vacant, the building has now been remodeled into a Natural Grocers
and opened in 2011.
DALLAS - the Art deco Esquire Theater was located on the north side of Oak Lawn
Avenue just west of Lemmon. Its was torn down in 1985 and the lot remains
The 1948 Forest Theater is located in East Dallas
near Fair Park and is being renovated as a live-
music venue. It has served as a movie theater,
a club, a concert hall, and even a temporary
synagogue in the mid-1950s.
The Art Deco Granada Theater is located on lower
Greenville Ave. and opened in 1946. It is now a
500-person concert hall.
Inwood Theater is located in North Dallas on Lovers
Lane being built in 1947 at the cost of $200,000. The
theater has been restored now featuring independent and
foreign language films on three screens.
The vacant Kessler Theater is located on Davis St.
in Oak Cliff and closed in the 50s, once owned by
Gene Autry. In 1957, a tornado destroyed the theater.
It was rebuilt as a church but gutted by fire 5 years
later. The Kessler has been rebuilt as a live music
The restored 1938 Art Deco Lakewood Theater is located
in East Dallas on Abrams Parkway. The theater closed
in January of 2015.
Majestic Theater is located in downtown Dallas on
Elm Street. It opened in 1921 during the vaudeville
era and later began hosting movie premiers. After
closing in 1973, it was renovated and opened as a
center for the performing arts in 1983. The Majestic
is the only remaining theater of "Theater Row" in
downtown Dallas. Listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.
100th Anniversary Celebration in 2021
Other downtown theaters that are gone: Tower, Melba,
Palace, Rialto, Capitol (1922-1958), Telenews, Queen,
Fox, Hippodrome, Old Mill, Mirror, Fox, & Joy.
The Major Theater located in East Dallas on Samuel
Blvd has been remodeled into a business.
Regent Village Theater located in Highland Park
Village. It originally opened in 1935 as the
Village Theater and was the first luxury suburban
theater in Texas. Built at a cost of $100,000 with
seating for 1,350 persons. Today the renovated
theater boasts four screens and is located at the
corner of Mockingbird Lane & Preston Road in Dallas.
Texas Theater in Oak Cliff closed in 1989. It has been recently
renovated. The 684 first-floor seat theater was built by Howard
Hughes and opened in 1931. After the shooting of President John
Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was apprehended here
during a matinee showing of "War Is Hell". JFK: WHERE WERE YOU?
The Urban Theater with seating for 546 closed in 1957
and is now a laundromat. It is located on Military
Parkway in Urbandale near Mesquite.
The Rialto Theater is located on Main Street in
downtown Denison. It was built in 1920 and now
used for live theater. At one time, Denison had
The Ivanhoe Theater is located in downtown Denison
on Main St. It was gutted and is now a brewery.
The Fine Arts Theater is located on the square in
downtown Denton. It was first built as the Graham
Opera House in 1877 & later became the Texas Theater.
It was damaged by a fire in 1982 and now there is
interest in restoring the theater.
The 1949 Campus Theater is located a block from the
square in downtown Denton at 214 W. Hickory St. It
operated as a cinema until closing in 1985. It was
renovated and reopened in 1995 as a performing arts