The Bankhead Highway was one of the earliest transcontinental
highways during the early 1900s. The two-lane highway crossed
almost 850 miles of Texas from Texarkana to El Paso. Named
after John Bankhead, U.S. Senator of Alabama, and nicknamed
Main St. USA, Dixie Overland Highway, and Broadway of America.
The route over the years has changed and segments abandoned.
Many parts were renamed Hwy-80 & then US-180. The now historic
road still has remains of bridges, hotels, diners, & buildings
dating back to the 20s. Photos by Webmaster.
Towns included on the Texas route:TEXARKANA
MT. VERNON - Magnolia/Mobil Gas Station at 201 US-67 & visitor center
GREENVILLE - Sinclair Gas Station at 2211 Stonewall St. & Auto
Sales at 2401 Johnson St.
Old Bankhead Highway bridge mostly submerged in Lake Ray Hubbard
east of Rowlett.
State historical marker "Bankhead Hwy in Garland" located in
downtown. Bankhead Vintage Car Tour in 2016
ARLINGTON - state historical marker on corner of Division St.
& Center St.
ALEDO - a road about three miles long & south of the Interstate
is named Bankhead Hwy on the map. This is the longest still-named
segment of the highway in Texas. There is a Bankhead Hwy historical
marker at FM-1187, N. of Aledo.
Bankhead Celebration in 2016
MINERAL WELLS - The Baker Hotel
The Bankhead Hotel on N. Front St.
State historical marker "Bankhead Hwy through Eastland Cty"
located at the new west rest stop on Ranger Hill with the
remains of the old Bankhead Hwy running behind it
Remains of Air Cafe/Truck Stop Service Station & old Bankhead
Hwy running in front of it
Remains of old Bankhead Hwy located near Main St. & Interstate 20.
County historical marker on the lawn of the courthouse
at 4th & Market St.
ABILENE - Abilene (tourist) Courts, 633 S. 11th., build in
1930 & served the travelers along the Bankhead route.